• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II confirmed into Jamaican on the Gulf - Treasure island - help needed

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got an II confirmation this morning for Jamaican on the Gulf, one bedroom, in Treasure Island.

It would be me, DH and Dbaby (2.5).

Need your thoughts.

Things to do in the area? Beach nice there (from what I read its wide). Swimmable ocean? Pool nice (looks small). Town to walk to?

Thanks!

Have to call II back w/in 24 hours to throw back if I need too ... I HATE that they automatically confirm.

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ill add that I also have a search for southern gulf coast, so should I wait to get a unit there?

We have never been to the gulf coast, so have NO idea what to do!! I feel so lost! HELP TUGGERS! :)

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Just my opinion, but I consider Treasure Island my least favorite of the barrier islands from St Pete Beach to Clearwater. Just too "old" for me.

NEGreyhound

TUG Member
Reaction score
Treasure Island opinion

We've been going to Treasure island for 7 years now during late Feb and early March. We love it there but we want to keep it as our little secret as we don't want it to get crowded like other nearby beach areas. :)
With the new Publix grocery store it makes everything in the area walkable. There's decent restaurants and bars and a Walgreen & McDonalds all very close to each other. The beach is great and some years I've swam in Feb. For a Canadian the water temp is not a problem. For most everyone else they prefer to sit on the beach until the water gets into the 70s.
The area is quiet, especially at night but the sunset watching gets most people on to the beach. They gather around Sloppy Joe's bar or the Thunderbird Motel Tiki Bar which are close to each other directly on the beach. There is a cement walking path the full length of the beach (over a mile each way) and your TS is directly on the beach.
With a car there are many places to explore both to the north such as John's pass nearby or Tarpon Springs and amazing beaches and parks to the south. I'm not a tour guide but there are a lot of lovely areas to explore whichever direction you want to travel. I volunteer at the Transitions golf tournament every year and have had some great experiences there.
If you need more info send me a PM or I'm sure others can add their opinions. The way the calender goes this year we'll be there from March 3-24. Can't wait. We always drive to DC and take the autotrain to Orlando. We spend a week there before heading to TI. If you keep the unit I think you'll enjoy your time there. It depends on how many are in your family and how old they are.
Enjoy!

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
We were there Christmas week last year at the Jamacian on the Gulf. We had a great time, but then , we don't require lots of activities and fancy glitzy places. Ocean front units, I have photos.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
There isn't a place on this planet where someone will step forward and claim to have been there, and had a good time. Even Pleasure Island.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
There isn't a place on this planet where someone will step forward and claim to have been there, and had a good time. Even Pleasure Island.

Well, I did explain that we do not demand fancy glitzy places! This would imply that Jamacian is not fancy and glitzy. This allows the OP to decide how their preferences may or may not prefer this place.... And others we like. I also offered photos.... This may help people a lot , too , to make up their minds.

jlwquilter

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Jamaican on the GUlf last year. 2 bedroom, top floor - RCI exchange. What is considered the best unit there. And it was - except for the bed in the master bedroom.

It was wrapped (not fitted) in a plastic covering - like a mattress protector, but it was wrapped. It made a ton of nosie when you rolled over, became loose and bunchy, and was flat out aweful. The bedroom is also very small. The master bathroom is also very small.

We did a sunset cruise out of Clearwater which was very nice (a Groupon deal), DH and DD went half day fishing, we also rode segways.

The poola and hot tub are not large but were sufficient. There's a shuffle board court and we had fun with that. Also 2 grills for guest use.

The beach is VERY wide and it's a long haul to the water. We use the Wonder Wheelies - LOVE them.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
O.K., I'll bite...

We use the Wonder Wheelies - LOVE them.

Maybe I don't get out enough and I never go to the beach to just hang around there, but I still have to ask --- what on earth is a "Wonder Wheelie"? :shrug:

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I don't get out enough and I never go to the beach to just hang around there, but I still have to ask --- what on earth is a "Wonder Wheelie"? :shrug:

They are a wheeled push cart basket thing. They have large wheels that go thru the sand very easily. They have a very large mesh basket to put all your stuff into. They really make taking your stuff to the beach much MUCH easier. We put the cooler, the towels, sand toys, noodles, etc. into the basket. The beach chairs get hung on the handle or bungee strapped over the top of the basket. We've been known to take two with us so the load in each is less and even easier to maneuver thru the sand.

I bought ours at BJs, but WalMart had them too. Around $40 bucks but I got our more recent ones on sale for less.

My DH poo-pooed it when I first bought it but after a few uses, he loves them too. Especially as he's the one that had to carry most of the stuff.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun

erm

TUG Member
Reaction score
NEGreyhound, thanks for the tip on the Transitions golf tournament. DH just retired and we're spending our first winter together here in SW Florida. He's afraid of being "bored" so I was able to suggest he volunteer for this tournament. He loves golf so I think it would be a great thing for him to do. I just feel so fortunate to be able to spend the winter here in Bradenton where it was 80 degrees on Monday and we spent the afternoon on one of the nicest beaches you could imagine and with free parking to boot. There are so many museums, beaches, restaurants and shopping malls here I will never run out of things to do.