• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II - Can I Exchange My Deposited Week Now For June 2020 and Let My II Membership Lapse

Wrapcloth

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Playa Andaluza
Hi All. I am impressed with the quality of information shared between members and despite searching cannot find the answer I need. This is my first post.

My timeshare is a European Gold week at MVC Playa Andaluza, Spain. I am a member of II and currently half way through my second year. I joined with a Platinum membership the first year, despite my reservations about the whole money-eating scheme, it suited my purposes and my daughter had a lovely 2 week honeymoon in Bali resulting from joining them. This year's membership was just the basic and I deposited one week from this year with them (actually deposited last year).
It seems that every time I blink I have to pay II money for the privilege of doing it so have decided that I will not be renewing next year. I'm trying to find a suitable exchange to book before I have to renew in January 2020.

At Last the Question
If I exchange for say, June 2020 and get my certificate for the reservation, will it still be there should I choose to let my membership lapse in January 2020?

Thank you for any answers or views

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I exchange for say, June 2020 and get my certificate for the reservation, will it still be there should I choose to let my membership lapse in January 2020?
I believe your membership must be in effect until after you use whatever exchange you have through them.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
In order to search and confirm beyond the expiration date of your membership, you must renew.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG, Wrapcloth.
The reason you have to renew is: what if come June 2020, you arrive at your exchange destination and something goes wrong, and they don't have your reservation? Who you gonna call?

What area are you searching for? Do you live in US or UK or Spain or?

It surprises me that you don't find value in II. For me, it's the best exchange company there is.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
No - your membership must extend past the last day of the exchange dates.

Wrapcloth

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Playa Andaluza
Thanks for all your answers. I think the conclusion is 'i still need to be a member' ;-)

'In order to search and confirm beyond the expiration date of your membership, you must renew.' -- I am able to search but have not pressed the exchange button yet so don't know what will happen then. I'm presuming at that point a problem may arise. Thank you

'What area are you searching for? Do you live in US or UK or Spain or?' -- I live in the UK, I am searching for Europe but have no problem in searching. The feasibility of going to the USA for just a week, for me, is not value for money although the choices there are great, that's no ones fault though and I certainly wouldn't want to blame II for that. Thank you

'It surprises me that you don't find value in II. For me, it's the best exchange company there is.' -- Maybe if I was US based I would find more value in membership, but here the choices of comparable quality are a lot less. Also I've payed to join, I pay to exchange, I pay to be allowed to change my mind, there seems to be a fee for everything. I get nothing back for giving a good quality week other than the right to pay out more to secure an exchange. I may be cynical, I may be missing a point, I may live in the wrong place to get the best out of it. Thank you

Thank you again, your help is appreciated, I can see I now have to squeeze another week in before my expiry date or pay for another year to use it after that date.

;-)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
'It surprises me that you don't find value in II. For me, it's the best exchange company there is.' -- Maybe if I was US based I would find more value in membership, but here the choices of comparable quality are a lot less. Also I've payed to join, I pay to exchange, I pay to be allowed to change my mind, there seems to be a fee for everything. I get nothing back for giving a good quality week other than the right to pay out more to secure an exchange. I may be cynical, I may be missing a point, I may live in the wrong place to get the best out of it. Thank you

II is a for-profit company that makes their money charging members fees for the services they provide. They don't recieve any of your maintenance fees, and depositing a good week with them does not increase their earnings any more than a bad week. So the bottom line is whether or not their services have value for you, and if not, then it may not be for you. Since availability is limited outside the US, it may not be what you need.

Did you know that you can do exchanges with other TUG members for FREEEE in the TUG Marketplace? I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people would like to trade with you - but again, availability is limited outside the US.

Wrapcloth

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Playa Andaluza
Sorry forgot this part hudshut, thank you

'The reason you have to renew is: what if come June 2020, you arrive at your exchange destination and something goes wrong, and they don't have your reservation? Who you gonna call?' -- I did presume the exchange documents they issued to you would be your proof you had reserved but I do get your point thank you
;-)

Wrapcloth

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Playa Andaluza
Thank you DeniseM, I have discovered that... now ;-)

Reaction score
I am a newbie skeptic and agree that TUG is filled with good information. The never ending exchange fees that wrapcloth is frustrated with would be enough to keep me from acquiring a timeshare. They don't seem to add much value to the process besides doing an accounting of "points". I googled both companies with the word review after their name and got an earful. I need to learn more about exchanges via TUG, that is an option that appeals to me. The $15 annual fee I just paid is very reasonable just to be able to hang out here are learn. I'm in no hurry to buy a TS.