• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

IHG Credit Card for HICV Maintenance Fees

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone with the IHG credit card used the card to pay HICV maintenance fees? If so, how many IHG points did you get? The higher end HICV card gives 10x per dollar of hotel spend including Holiday Inn Club vacations.

-Scott
Owner, HICV Tapatalk Group

sehansen2

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV - Cape Canaveral
HICV - Lake Geneva
HICV - Marco Island
I paid HICV maintenance fees using my IHG Select card (different than the one currently offered), and received 1 point per $. That was a couple years ago, but I assume it's still the same. I've gone back to using my Citi Double Cash card since then.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The Wyndham credit card specifically mentions timeshare maintenance getting same points as hotel spend, so I thought I should look into it further.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to the Facebook group, 10x points are not automatic, but you can call the credit card and they will do it manually for you - anyone have any experience with this? HICV points normally cost $5.75/1K, which would be an equivalent of 5.75% back on maintenance, which would be pretty good.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
According to the Facebook group, 10x points are not automatic, but you can call the credit card and they will do it manually for you - anyone have any experience with this? HICV points normally cost $5.75/1K, which would be an equivalent of 5.75% back on maintenance, which would be pretty good.
its ihg points which are worth less than that

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score

I get 2.5% back on maintenance now (Amex MR), so that makes the effective cost of the IHG points $2.5/1K. pointsguy.com shows $5/1K down from $6/1K last year.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received my first IHG credit card statement and got my first batch of points - I can confirm that HICV charges (fees paid for renting points and booking fees) do not automatically give points at the higher level, but an email through the Chase message system gets quick responses within 12 hours (which is excellent for a bank) and additional points granted with no questions asked. First message gave me the 9 extra points per dollar on IHG spend (1x->10x) and the second message gave me the first year bonus of 15 extra points per dollar on IHG spend (10x->25x), resulting in 1600 IHG points per $64 reservation fee for the first year. The extra points granted by customer service are not in my IHG account yet, so I'll follow-up in a few days and let you know if any additional follow-up is required (statement points showed up on IHG 3 days after statement close).

Here's the two merchant names I can confirm work:

HOLIDY INN CLB OPS TSW
HICV CAPTIAL MGMT MAIN

-Scott

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score

thepointsguy.com shows the most valuable airline miles as Alaska @ $18/1K - IHG points convert to at 5:1, so that puts the floor on IHG value at $3.6/1K (using them only for airline miles), which means the IHG credit card gives 3.6%-5% back on HICV maintenance. For the first year, the credit card gives 25 points instead of 10 points, which is 9%-12.5% on HICV maintenance and fees.

-Scott

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I received my first IHG credit card statement and got my first batch of points - I can confirm that HICV charges (fees paid for renting points and booking fees) do not automatically give points at the higher level, but an email through the Chase message system gets quick responses within 12 hours (which is excellent for a bank) and additional points granted with no questions asked. First message gave me the 9 extra points per dollar on IHG spend (1x->10x) and the second message gave me the first year bonus of 15 extra points per dollar on IHG spend (10x->25x), resulting in 1600 IHG points per $64 reservation fee for the first year. The extra points granted by customer service are not in my IHG account yet, so I'll follow-up in a few days and let you know if any additional follow-up is required (statement points showed up on IHG 3 days after statement close).

Here's the two merchant names I can confirm work:

HOLIDY INN CLB OPS TSW
HICV CAPTIAL MGMT MAIN

-Scott
If you go the higher points for HICV charges you are lucky most people from the HICV facebook report that as of May/June HICV stopped coding charges in such a way to get the bonus points and as of August Chase refuses to adjust the code of points unless HICV makes the change and HICV codes the charges as miscellaneous and will not change the code. This is on MF, morgage payments and HICV service charges.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you go the higher points for HICV charges you are lucky most people from the HICV facebook report that as of May/June HICV stopped coding charges in such a way to get the bonus points and as of August Chase refuses to adjust the code of points unless HICV makes the change and HICV codes the charges as miscellaneous and will not change the code. This is on MF, morgage payments and HICV service charges.

That's a bummer - I might be getting better service temporarily on a new account. On the other hand, my messages got me 40K extra points, which is a lot, and I didn't get the "one time as a courtesy" verbiage that banks normally give when they manually do something against policy.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
They did it a second month with no questions asked and no typical bank disclaimer that they would not be doing it in the future - I've been using secure messaging on the website.

The first month they did $1660 in charges and the second month they did $640 in charges - grand total of 58K in points (vs. 9K that they gave by default for all other purchases in the first year).

If they ever stop, I intend to let them know that I will be cancelling at renewal and then at renewal, I'll cancel unless they give me whatever points they owe me to make me whole. Once they quit adjusting points, I'll stop using the card for all purchases in case they don't adjust.

I did some test reservations comparing IHG vs. HICV points, and a 3-day weekend next Labor Day in Galveston in a 1BR-Std (only thing available on IHG) was 105K IHG points vs. 53K HICV, but HICV has the $64 booking fee. At $5/1K points, the HICV reservation cost $329, which makes the IHG value per dollar $3.13/1K when used for HICV - at 25x per HICV maintenance/booking point, that works out to 7.8% back for the first year. If you are a trust member with $7/1K in maintenance and no Pointshield (the IHG reservation comes with Pointshield), the value of IHG points for HICV reservations rises as high as $4.47/1K, which is about 11.1% back. You can also add guests at IHG for no additional charge (which is also true for HICV unless you have a lot of points and make more than 15 guest reservations per year.

I checked on Vegas on the same weekend for a 1BR-D the HICV points go up by 28% while the IHG points only go up 14%.

-Scott

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chases credited the extra points a third month with no questions asked for another $576 in charges. Has anyone in this group had a problem getting the bonus points? if so, when is the last time you were denied?

The big test will be in two months when I asked for credits on all remaining 2020 maintenance!

-Scott

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
In trying to secure the extra points, do you send the secure message after the charges have posted?

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
In trying to secure the extra points, do you send the secure message after the charges have posted?

Yes, once I get the statement and it shows the wrong points, I send a secure message requesting the extra points.

-Scott

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fourth month I ran into an issue:

"Scott, I forwarded your message to the appropriate department for review. You should receive a response within five business days."

That generally means they may give points one last time, but they will not continue. I haven't charged 2020 maintenance yet - I guess I'll hold off. I sent a second secure message to see if I'll get a different agent.

-Scott

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Issue resolved - it went to a higher up, who credited the points and responded with:

"...we agree that under the current terms of the product, the referenced purchases qualify to earn additional points per dollar as an IHG property."

I have thousands of dollars in maintenance to charge in the next two months, which will result in hundreds of thousands of points owed - we'll see how that goes.

-Scott

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got additional points for MF’s but it didn’t seem correct since i am supposed to get 25 points per dollar

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I just applied for the IHG Premier Credit Card CC. I need to re-up my TSA PRE check next year and the 80,000 points should come in handy.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
I have the IHG Chase Select card which I like because of the 10% points rebate. I charged my MF in December to it and the points came through at a rate of 1x this week. I called chase and they transferred me around 3 times until they finally sent me to IHG Rewards Club. Still no luck. Who did you call to solve this issue? The charges came through as HICV Management Corp.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just got additional points for MF’s but it didn’t seem correct since i am supposed to get 25 points per dollar
It depends on your card, but the most you will get from any card is 10x per dollar. The 25 points they talk about are at stays is you are an elite memember I thing it breaks down to 10X card, 10x hotel nights points, 5x for Platinum.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on your card, but the most you will get from any card is 10x per dollar. The 25 points they talk about are at stays is you are an elite memember I thing it breaks down to 10X card, 10x hotel nights points, 5x for Platinum.
There was an intro offer last year for 25x points on IHG charges for the first year - that's what they've been crediting me.

Once my 25x is up on my card, I'll be looking for the 25x offer again for my wife.

Missing points from my 12/11 statement were not on my 1/11 statement, so I messaged again through website (I always message and never call so that there is a paper trail), and they apologized for them not being entered properly and said to wait until 2/11 statement. Meanwhile, 1/11 statement had thousands of dollars in maintenance charges, so I was short an additional hundreds of thousands of points. Normally I wait until one month is resolved to request next month, but due to the large number of points, I went ahead and put the request in - the responded and said they should be on 2/11 statement, so now I am waiting for that statement for both 12/11 statement adjustment and 1/11 statement adjustment..

-Scott

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There was an intro offer last year for 25x points on IHG charges for the first year - that's what they've been crediting me.

Once my 25x is up on my card, I'll be looking for the 25x offer again for my wife.

Missing points from my 12/11 statement were not on my 1/11 statement, so I messaged again through website (I always message and never call so that there is a paper trail), and they apologized for them not being entered properly and said to wait until 2/11 statement. Meanwhile, 1/11 statement had thousands of dollars in maintenance charges, so I was short an additional hundreds of thousands of points. Normally I wait until one month is resolved to request next month, but due to the large number of points, I went ahead and put the request in - the responded and said they should be on 2/11 statement, so now I am waiting for that statement for both 12/11 statement adjustment and 1/11 statement adjustment..

-Scott
Thanks. Good offer. I got this nasty gram from chase.

It was determined that per the program guidelines, timeshare fees should only receive 1 point per $ spent; however, due to overlap on merchant codes, IHG has been incorrectly awarding hotel bonus points for the timeshare charges. The hotel bonus points are awarded only for hotel stay charges/purchases at IHG properties.

They had merchant ID clean up and the changes was implemented last May 2019. Moving forward, Chase will award the correct 1 point per $ spent for the timeshare fees.

Good news is, all incorrectly awarded points will be kept on your account.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

It was determined that per the program guidelines, timeshare fees should only receive 1 point per $ spent; however, due to overlap on merchant codes, IHG has been incorrectly awarding hotel bonus points for the timeshare charges. The hotel bonus points are awarded only for hotel stay charges/purchases at IHG properties.

They had merchant ID clean up and the changes was implemented last May 2019. Moving forward, Chase will award the correct 1 point per $ spent for the timeshare fees.

Just got an update from IHG, not chase. IHG gave me a courtesy credit of 8012 points which applies to spire status. However they put me on notice 1x going forward.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score

What were the dates of your Chase and IHG contacts? Did they give you the 8012 points instead of the bonus points Chase granted or in addition to?

A couple of updates for me - my Feb Chase statement had a "courtesy adjustment" of several hundred thousand points for December maintenance from my Jan Chase statement. Everything but the "courtesy adjustment" posted to my IHG account today, so it's possible that IHG put a hold on the "courtesy adjustment" and will be contacting me to give me something less.

What's interesting is that $256 (4x$64) of my Feb 11 statement charges were actually granted 25x points automatically. Assuming it was a change that impacted my last 4 charges, that would be all of my transaction fees since Jan 30.

-Scott

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What were the dates of your Chase and IHG contacts? Did they give you the 8012 points instead of the bonus points Chase granted or in addition to?

A couple of updates for me - my Feb Chase statement had a "courtesy adjustment" of several hundred thousand points for December maintenance from my Jan Chase statement. Everything but the "courtesy adjustment" posted to my IHG account today, so it's possible that IHG put a hold on the "courtesy adjustment" and will be contacting me to give me something less.

What's interesting is that $256 (4x$64) of my Feb 11 statement charges were actually granted 25x points automatically. Assuming it was a change that impacted my last 4 charges, that would be all of my transaction fees since Jan 30.

-Scott
They listed is as a Courtesy Adjustment for the full amount.