• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

IHG - converting points - worth it?

BusterBluth

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Club Vacations
I know nothing about this HICV feature. What's the consensus here? We're not planning a near term stay at any HICV resort this year. But we are definitely planning some hotel stays soon.

Thanks in advance!

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
I know nothing about this HICV feature. What's the consensus here? We're not planning a near term stay at any HICV resort this year. But we are definitely planning some hotel stays soon.

Thanks in advance!

It is a great option to have. If you have ihg credit card, 4th night is free.

I sometimes use points while traveling in between locations or when there are no Resorts. There used to be 7k ihg points nights. Last week I saw 8k in San Antonio after 2 years, maybe, of not seeing anything below 10k... But usually around 10k-12 per night on low end and 50k and over for the very high.

You can actually see the point value to get an idea, on the ihg website. Just search using reward nights on the search.

Some people convert 100% of he hicv points to ihg, it is not the best value but it works for some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
It’s a good way to preserve the points when you get an abundance of points like this last year.
I use points for hotel stays all the time , but I also do the math. Sometimes cash is way cheaper than using points. Go to the end to get the total, just don’t cash out.
Points used you are not charged for extra people in a room, cash you can be charged extra for the 3,4, and on people , kids no extra

The points do not expire as long as your card stays active.

You can add points a couple times a year way cheaper buying straight thru IHG when their is a special buy in. One is going on now giving you 80% extra when you buy for free. Soon I will get 100% offer and I will add some than.
So you will be able to buy say 75,000 points for $750, not a good deal
But they give you 75,000 point, now you have 150,000 points for $750. That’s going to be a much more affordable way to add points.

Last edited:

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
I wouldn't move points unless you are positive you cant use the points in the 2 years they are good in hicv. If your moving just to get rewards nights your better off like Tank said and buy IHG points through IHG

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
As already mentioned
If it’s a “ move it or lose it “ thing then move it
And also as mentioned do the math.
Actual cost per point before transfer loss etc to get the real $ per night for the hotel
Plus side the points once transferred never expire

We have points that we have transferred but if cheaper to pay cash we go that route

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
I have done it more than a few times. The conversion rate is not great (4/5 or 80%) however you can find some great stays for few points. So 150,000 HICV points will give you 120,000 IHG points. Room are typically 15,000 to 40,000 depending on time, location and brand. They have special discount points from time to time for 6,000 points at select hotels and of course with their new dynamic point structure you can find the rare hotel that could cost as low as 10,000 or as much as 100,000 points. If you are careful you could stretch those points to give you 3-10 days.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have used hotel points and find this to work for me. As my family changes, we don't use or cannot find resorts all the time. When Covid hit, I had to make a decision and chose to convert my points into IHG. So when I want to just get away, I can grab a hotel room using my points. I just got a two night hotel room in October before my 3 night stay in Gatlinburg. So I converted this into a five nighter combining points and the resort in HICV. I was not aware that these points are only good for two years, as someone mentioned in this thread, but I need to be aware of this limitation because it is unlikely I will use all of these points within two years.

Last edited:

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I have used hotel points and find this to work for me. As my family changes, we don't use or cannot find resorts all the time. When Covid hit, I had to make a decision and chose to convert my points into IHG. So when I want to just get away, I can grab a hotel room using my points. I just got a two night hotel room in October before my 3 night stay in Gatlinburg. So I converted this into a five nighter combining points and the resort in HICV. I was not aware that these points are only good for two years, as someone mentioned in this thread, but I need to be aware of this limitation because it is unlikely I will use all of these points within two years.

My understanding is
The resorts points need to be used within the two years but the IHG hotel points never expire

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holliday Inn Club Vacations
Yes the IHG points do not expire, however there has been some devaluation of IHG points recently. They have gone to dynamic pricing which means the redemptions rates can change to reflect high and low demand. There have been complaints about points needed to book rooms going up and availability being hit or miss. Definitely factor this in when you are valuing your HIVC points vs IHG points.

LGjr

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC Orange Lake, HIVC Lake Geneva
You can add points a couple times a year way cheaper buying straight thru IHG when their is a special buy in. One is going on now giving you 80% extra when you buy for free. Soon I will get 100% offer and I will add some than.
So you will be able to buy say 75,000 points for $750, not a good deal
But they give you 75,000 point, now you have 150,000 points for $750. That’s going to be a much more affordable way to add points.

I'm a 68-year old newbie. Are you buying IHG or HVIC points? Where is the site to buy the points? Thx

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I'm a 68-year old newbie. Are you buying IHG or HVIC points? Where is the site to buy the points? Thx
The points in that post were IHG hotel reward post purchased through IHG.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Yes the IHG points do not expire, however there has been some devaluation of IHG points recently. They have gone to dynamic pricing which means the redemptions rates can change to reflect high and low demand. There have been complaints about points needed to book rooms going up and availability being hit or miss. Definitely factor this in when you are valuing your HIVC points vs IHG points.
I have found that the dynamic pricing has actually worked to my advantage. I have seem more availability and while some locations/dates are up, others are down. I recently stayed 4 nights in Yellowstone and 2 nights near Mount Rushmore for between 18,000 and 27,000 points.