• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

If not the USA, then what?

NTHC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Las Vegas, Massanutten
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Regal Vista, Wyndham, Bluegreen, Diamond
Daughter has paper to do this week. The question is.....what country would you like to be a citizen of, if not the usa.

Has anyone ever thought of this? If so, what is your answer?

I just wanted to add that this is purely a personal opinion and nothing against any country or belief.

Thanks,
Cindy

Last edited:

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm still a citizen of Australia, living in the US for 32 yrs now.

The one thing that gauls me is not being able to vote in any election in the US, town, state etc. The last time I can remember voting was in 1975, and that could be wrong.

So, that is my personal answer.

Last edited:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't have a second choice ( :) ), but at least one survey, now several years old, ranks Ireland at the top, followed by Switzerland. Google "best country to live in" or variations thereof and you'll find a ton of info on places and reasons.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe Danes are the happiest. Social services are very good (and taxes are high). Not a lot of inequality, everyone is covered for health care (I had some Danish exchange students a few years ago - they assume health care just as we assume education, highways, and water), parental leave, education through college, peaceful....

Or maybe Canada b/c it's not too different from the US - but still in some areas (e.g. Montreal) has a very European feel - again, health care - not at war.

Or Switzerland - beautiful geographically - Alps, lakes, gorgeous countryside, castles, but also cosmopolitan cities, good standard of living, neutral - I believe they will not take sides in any war.

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a happy "US" citizen, BUT, New Zealand, along with Australia, would be GREAT !!! (Have been to both---should I move after this election ???!!!!)

"OOPS" ---NO "political" stuff allowed !!!

Tony

Steve

Reaction score
Oh, Canada

I have lived in Europe, and there are many beautiful cities and countries there, but I would definitely choose Canada. The reasons:

1) It's the most like the USA.

2) You can easily drive to the USA from Canada for visits.

3) It is a nice, peaceful, democratic country with clean cities, low crime, a high standard of living, and some gorgeous scenery.

All in all, not a bad 2nd choice to the US, eh?

Steve

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The one thing that gauls me is not being able to vote in any election .

Then why don't you become a citizen?

My vote is for Norway. It's a stuningly beautiful country with beautiful people to go along with it. And for reasons similar to the above post referring to Denmark.

Janna

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Singapore. I lived there for a while a few years back, and really enjoyed the people and the city/country.

Kurt

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hard to say.

If the Hawai'i independence movement were to succeed, I would probably pick Hawai'i. :D

More seriously, I haven't spent sufficient time in other countries to have firm thoughts. But from what I know the countries that I would initially consider most seriously are Canada and Costa Rica.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm typing this from Portugal. It won't be here. Sure wish Canada didn't have as much winter. I think the friendliest people we've come across in our travels were the Scots. Who Knows???

Jim Ricks

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
My first choice would be the country I live in, Canada, for it's diverse population, great places to visit and medical care.
My second choice would be Sweden. Although not the best place for warmer weather their social systems are great and they are doing an exceptional job in using less fossil fuels which has created a huge industry for them.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Ireland
2. St. Bart's
3. Austria
4. England

I agree. Scotland has the most friendliest folks I've ever met followed closely by Ireland.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I was a Canadian Landed Immigrant for over a decade, I'd have no trouble moving back to Canada, if I could get used to the weather again! ;)

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I was a Canadian Landed Immigrant for over a decade, I'd have no trouble moving back to Canada, if I could get used to the weather again! ;)

Moving to Victoria, BC would meet that test. Plus a very low risk of fires, unlike if you live around LAX !

K.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Then why don't you become a citizen?

My vote is for Norway. It's a stuningly beautiful country with beautiful people to go along with it. And for reasons similar to the above post referring to Denmark.

Janna

Plus...Norway is home to my fave male singer Kurt Nilsen! :clap: Norwegians I've met are so nice...if only their winters weren't so long and so dark!

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Moving to Victoria, BC would meet that test. Plus a very low risk of fires, unlike if you live around LAX !

K.

Yes, Victoria would meet the test, but I would like Kelowna, Penticton better even if they do have winter.

BTW, the recent fires are thankfully almost fully contained. LAX and the area I live in is way south of where the fires are.

summervaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really just want to be warm. Is there a nice warm, peaceful country out there where I would have food and a place to live? I'll take it.

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you count the countries of the UK as seperate entities (as you should:) then it would be Scotland due to family ties. Note - I'm interpreting the question as "If not your home country, then what?"
Second choice would undoubtedly be Canada. We've visited Ontario, BC and Alberta and love the people, the landscapes, the big cities with small town feel etc etc.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Summer, if you want nice,warm & peaceful I'd pick Barbados. Friendly people, good food, no problem with drinking the water and great weather.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I'm still considered a citizen of Finland (as well as the US), but my vote would go to Canada which I love!

summervaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Summer, if you want nice,warm & peaceful I'd pick Barbados. Friendly people, good food, no problem with drinking the water and great weather.

Barbados sounds heavenly:) I've never been. Makes me want to start planning my next warm vacation. Thanks!

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barbados

Barbados sounds heavenly:) I've never been. Makes me want to start planning my next warm vacation. Thanks!

We've been going for many years, and are staying longer and longer. Just love it.