• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ideas for fiftieth anniversary

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
August 9 is the big date, but what can we do.
we are in Wisconsin at Christmas Mountain.
i have thought of dinner at ishnala, but would have to go really early, because of a long wait to be seated or long slow dinners Just don’t work with my husband.

i have thought of an overnight in Madison and dinner at Ruth Chris but again the long slow dinner not good. My husband is starting to have confusion over eating, and we are seeing a speech pathologist for help.
As far as family, my sisters just visited and my son did last week. They are too far away to visit again. A few old friends from fifty years ago will definitely not make the trip.

any timeshare stay would be very hard to get, and perhaps not safe either.

celebrating a yeAr from now, I doubt my husband will be at all with it by then.

soi am getting sad at The whole situation. When we got married fifty years ago, I never thought we would be alive and well in fifty years, I thought we would be pretty decrepit if alive, but I never envisioned being in the middle of a pandemic.

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
August 9 is the big date, but what can we do.
we are in Wisconsin at Christmas Mountain.
i have thought of dinner at ishnala, but would have to go really early, because of a long wait to be seated or long slow dinners Just don’t work with my husband.

i have thought of an overnight in Madison and dinner at Ruth Chris but again the long slow dinner not good. My husband is starting to have confusion over eating, and we are seeing a speech pathologist for help.
As far as family, my sisters just visited and my son did last week. They are too far away to visit again. A few old friends from fifty years ago will definitely not make the trip.

any timeshare stay would be very hard to get, and perhaps not safe either.

celebrating a yeAr from now, I doubt my husband will be at all with it by then.

soi am getting sad at The whole situation. When we got married fifty years ago, I never thought we would be alive and well in fifty years, I thought we would be pretty decrepit if alive, but I never envisioned being in the middle of a pandemic.
[/QUOTE

Happy Anniversary !!!⚘ hard during these strange times isnt it ?! And I totally understand wanting to stay closer to home. How about a nice lunch someplace rather than dinner ? I know its tough with COVID but a spa day ?? Or a day out on the water private tour ??

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nerodag. I like the water tour idea. Maybe we could rent a pontoon if my daughters boyfriend is willing to drive and take daughters family for afternoon on upper Dells

trouble about lunch is most of the nicer places are supper clubs

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I can't offer any help here, but I would like to wish you both a Happy Anniversary. 50 years is a great achievement. Hope you find something fun and memorable to do.

Dave

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
I might be inclined to cater in, easy touch cheap decorations from dollar store, including disposable tableware so there won't be dishes to do. Sit outside with cocktails for drive by well wishers, when dinner arrives, have it at your best table with your best table cloth. Add candles and flowers to your interest level. Put on the music of your lives. Pull out an album after dinner and reminisce. Soooo much time saved by not going out. Make a fun thing of NOT going out.

Maybe on the following Sunday you can find outdoor brunch and linger over people watching after seeing something interesting together to kick off Year 51. I have found many botanical gardens looking very impressive this year; I've driven by various lakes that I never had an interest in before; I've cruised small towns to pull over and take in their architecture. Old buildings might not interest everyone but we liked it ; )

there are a few outdoor concerts happening here, perhaps you can find one of those as a treat?

I think, overall, consider what you Can do and try to make it simple and fun. It's about the two of you, the only backdrop that matters.

Congratulations!!

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year was our 50th and I told my two boys and DILs that all I wanted was some "professional" family photos as I have none of all of us together in over 10 years, so no grandkids in those. They arranged for someone to meet us on the beach and take photos.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
1595441560814.png

Rapmarks, I hope you are able to do something special. 50 Years is quite a milestone and that is something to really celebrate...I wish you both lots of love and happiness

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Nerodag. I like the water tour idea. Maybe we could rent a pontoon if my daughters boyfriend is willing to drive and take daughters family for afternoon on upper Dells

Our 50th is August 15. We had booked an Alaska cruise, but rebooked to make it a 50+1 celebration. Since we planned to be out on the water, we are definitely planning to rent a pontoon boat, and we will definitely plan to bring a cake. :) You got married on a Sunday? My former manager got married on 8/22/1970. Each year after our anniversary, I would remind him that his was approaching. One year I forgot to remind him and he got in trouble because he forgot about it too. At least he didn't ding my on my appraisal. Happy 50th!

geekette

Reaction score
I like your ideas, and catered dinner sounds great
If you do true catering, they will bring the dishes and bus afterwards. no dirty anything for you to deal with. I was first going to suggest using your best table service, but, ugh, careful cleaning it ... nope.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Happy 50th! And congratulations. DW and I celebrated our 40th a few months ago. Hitting 50 is not only a sign of longevity for both of you, but sustained commitment. Nice going!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Happy Anniversary [early].

August 9 is also our younger dd's 30th birthday. She was originally hoping to go out to a restaurant for dinner. Now she's just hoping for a cake at home.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our 50th is August 15. We had booked an Alaska cruise, but rebooked to make it a 50+1 celebration. Since we planned to be out on the water, we are definitely planning to rent a pontoon boat, and we will definitely plan to bring a cake. :) You got married on a Sunday? My former manager got married on 8/22/1970. Each year after our anniversary, I would remind him that his was approaching. One year I forgot to remind him and he got in trouble because he forgot about it too. At least he didn't ding my on my appraisal. Happy 50th!
Congratulations, yes we got married on a Sunday. I was finishing grad school, graduated Friday night. Moved everything out on Saturday and drove to my parents and did last minute things for wedding next day. Left on honeymoon and when we returned, starting teaching at a new school the next day

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you do true catering, they will bring the dishes and bus afterwards. no dirty anything for you to deal with. I was first going to suggest using your best table service, but, ugh, careful cleaning it ... nope.
Lol I have my husband’s grandmother China, and have never used them. I do have the set from my wedding shower.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Congratulations on your 50th, even though it won't be exactly what you planned.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score

trouble about lunch is most of the nicer places are supper clubs

Perhaps a brunch ? On a weekend day?!

Wyominguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
A cruise would be a great idea plus you have some wonderful photos of you both take during the formal nights. We will hit that milestone four years from now and hope to take all the kids and grandkids to Hawaii for a week during the winter.

Neil

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I'd get dinner from good restaurant with some decorations and then have a champagne toast with family via facetime/zoom. If you don't have an iphone or ipad, have someone set up a free zoom meeting on computer for 30 minutes. It will be a special time. Best wishes.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I hope your 50th turns out great. Congrats and good luck.

Bill

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you have a great anniversary! 50 years is an amazing milestone.

My suggestion is as much as possible, celebrate with something that will make the day about the 2 of you being together. and giving yourself a break from the current day-to-day struggles.

A long, fancy dinner may be a “traditional” anniversary celebration, but seems like it could add stress and frustration for both of you.

congratulations on your milestone and best wishes for the road ahead.

And be sure to take a picture of the 2 of you together!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hearty congratulations to you both! 50 years together is a major accomplishment!

It's difficult during this damn pandemic, but try to get a great meal catered and gather what friends and family you can muster. Play the music of your lives- it may help trigger your husband's memories a bit. Remember the good times.

All the Very Best wishes!

Jim

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Congratulations on your 50th!

Sorry, I don't have any original ideas on your celebration, but I love @geekette 's idea to cater in. At this point, anything out of the ordinary feels pretty special. We have never gotten around to doing much to celebrate ours, even the milestone years. (Today is our 37th). Two years ago we invited 30 or so friends to our favorite brewery which was a lot of fun, but that won't be an option for you (or any of us) this year. Do you have your photo album with you? My husband asked me to find ours but who knows what box it's in, lol.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope that it makes the day feel special.

dmbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
Happy Anniversary! Have you ever been over to Elkhart Lake, and the Osthoff Resort? I love the private beach area and clean lake. There is an end of summer special that begins Aug 16 for a one night stay.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy Anniversary! Have you ever been over to Elkhart Lake, and the Osthoff Resort? I love the private beach area and clean lake. There is an end of summer special that begins Aug 16 for a one night stay.
Thanks I will look into this.