• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ideas for a Yankee Swap Limit $5.00

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
We are going to be a group of 11 relatives ages 90-24. Trying a Yankee swap for the first time.

Ideas please. I know others spend $10-$20 but we have all bought gifts already. Kinds of fun to see how creative we can be with $5.oo limit. Next year we can plan ahead and eliminate gifts and raise the amount.

Thanks!!!

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A tree ornament? A tin of butter cookies or popcorn? A $25 Restaurant.com gift certificate that will cost you only $2 with code SANTA through the 22nd?

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The restaurant.com certificate is a great idea.

Often at this time of year the Hershey's box of gold candy is Buy one, get one free. That brings one box to less than $5. And I haven't seen them in recent years, but Planters used to have gift packs with 3 cans of different kinds of peanuts. They also used to be on sale for great prices.

Sue

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Do you have a Dollar Store near you. If you do you can put together a bag of bath items, lotions and such for $5.00. A car bag with a new key chain, a deodorizer, and ice scraper. A coffee mug stuffed with Snowman Poop, DVD's, a lot of printer programs like Print Master have gifts you can make with your printer like pictures to print out and put on a tee shirts.

Just some ideas. :)

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite things under $5:

Used cd's from the local music shop.

Burger King Coupon Book (McDonalds too) they give me an excuse to go enjoy myself when I know I shouldn't.

$5 lottery scratch off ticket (this can be worth SO much more in some cases!)

A pack of cigarettes from North Carolina. (yes, I should have quit long ago)

Chocolate.... any kind, any time, anywhere!

A good pen or mechanical pencil.

A book of forever stamps.

a nice scented candle on clearance from Yankee Candle (appropriate)

An unusual cheese? (paired with crackers from the dollar store?)

3.25 gallons of Gasoline? (in Massachusetts)

I'll have to keep thinking on this.... $5.00 is tough these days!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be playing Yankee Swap for the first time today!

It's an $8-$12 limit, so I packed up a funny-cool T-shirt (I got it for one of my DDs, but the heck with that, I want to have the best gift) and a bag of gummi bears.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I thought it had to do with the NY Yankees until I realized the OP was from Mass. Had it been about the NY team, I was going to suggest a clipped out photo of A-rod's $5.00 ho.

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Yvonne
Depending how one looks at it that may be a good idea. After all the Yankees our are beloved rivals. They are as devoted as RedSox fans and my son lives in NYC.

Someone also suggested a framed Obama picture. In our extended family there are mostly independents. DH is a staunch republican and our sons always tease their Dad so that is a good idea.

Thanks for the tips keep them coming!

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yvonne
Someone also suggested a framed Obama picture.

I worked in an office who did this type of gift exchange. The new president of the agency framed his own picture and put it into the swap. No one was quite sure how to react, but it became the gift to steal, as no one wanted it to be considered a 'bad' gift. He was trying to let his new employees know he had a sense of humor. Inside the frame, behnd the picture, was a $20 bill.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not read the definition, but my idea of a Yankee swap is when everyone gets a number and everyone past #1 can either pick a new gift or steal an already opened gift.
A recent group had a swap and there were at least 3 or 4 jump drives as gifts...so that is another idea cor people who use computers.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
The Official Rules (One Version Anyway).

Click here.

Have fun.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Over the years we've swapped decks of cards and poker chips, Dunkin' Donuts gift cards, lottery tickets, mugs with tea or coffee, mittens, heavy socks, candy, cookbooks, candles, picture frames, babysitting IOU's, paperback books, bookmarks, calendars, those little shopping list paper blocks, and more stupid just-for-a-laugh things that I can remember! The tuxedo'ed toilet paper holder still sits in my mother-in-law's bathroom.

Yvonne, you're making me :hysterical: "A-rod's $5.00 ho" HAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'm wondering, though, if there's a place where you can get custom dartboards. Now there's a use for A-Rod's pic.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Gems From Santa's Workshop.

Alan, I'm surprised. No Yankee Swap suggestion from you of a Chia Pet?!
For that, I was thinking of something more along the lines of The Clapper.

Either that or Instant Fisherman.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
At our school we do this with a $15 amount and the most beloved gifts are usually booze. This year was a Bailey's special. (I think the local store had specials.). At our church we have a suggested $5 amount, but it seems most people go over and of course, no booze.
Liz

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, now I've been to one. Totally fun! My t-shirt was a bomb (in the bad way), but a friend of mine got a fantastic red stapler, and when I admired it, she gave it to me! (She wanted a calculator, so I got a nice one for her.)

The biggest hits of our swap (and remember this is an $8-$12 limit):

A nightlight in the shape of the leg lamp from A Christmas Story.
A Nerf gun that shoots small Nerf-foam darts.
This book:
http://www.amazon.com/Grandmas-Dead...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229722749&sr=8-1
An envelope with scratch-off lottery tickets.
An unusual mug, looked like a snail? cat? I never got near it.
A nice kitchen timer. (?????)
A pen that somehow lets you play the game Operation as you write.
A bottle of champagne.

The biggest bombs, other than my T-shirt:

A manicure set.
An obviously regifted candle holder from Crate & Barrel.
Another candle and candle holder set.
Other mugs.
Gift cards for Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, and a pastry shop near the office.

There was lots more, but it's all kind of misty now. There were more than 50 people!

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
I bought so far a Christmas Redneck CD and a sampler pack of D & D and a silly Santa hat that looks like a jester hat. Sorry D & D is Dunkin Donuts(new England slang!)

I have thought about lottery tickets that are always a big hit.

Where would one get the Christmas Story nightlight? Found it and it's out of stock. I will find it somewhere and put it away for the next one. http://www.wickedcoolstuff.com/chstleglanil.html

I also like the Red Stapler,Nerf gun and the Clapper.

Now there are 13-15 people coming. If this is a hit we can eliminate cousin and aunt gifts and raise the limit to $15.00 for an annual Yankee swap.

Last edited:

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
The biggest bombs, other than my T-shirt:

Gift cards for Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts

I wouldn't consider the Starbucks gift card a 'success'---it would indeed be a 'bomb' as you call it.

But, a Dunkin Donuts card----regift them all to me---I can provide my address!!!

Pat

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
Yvonne, you're making me :hysterical: "A-rod's $5.00 ho" HAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'm wondering, though, if there's a place where you can get custom dartboards. Now there's a use for A-Rod's pic.

Was going to say a Dunkies Card...............But I like these better!!

You're both making me laugh!! :rofl:

Another suggestion ............. a gas card.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
My office is in NYC, so a gas card wouldn't have been all that hot an item--most of the people there don't own cars!

I remembered another item that was a big hit--it was some sort of electronic piggy bank, in the shape of a big cartoon mouse, that "eats" the money? It must have been a 20-something thing because only the younger people were hot for it; they all seemed to know what it was.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I worked in an office who did this type of gift exchange. The new president of the agency framed his own picture and put it into the swap. No one was quite sure how to react, but it became the gift to steal, as no one wanted it to be considered a 'bad' gift. He was trying to let his new employees know he had a sense of humor. Inside the frame, behnd the picture, was a $20 bill.

Cool, but how was the $20 found? Did he eventually at the end let the "winner" know to open the frame?