• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I will be the guinea pig - I used an AC for Hawaii

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gov. David Ige today said that he’s likely to delay for the third time the start of a pre-arrivals testing program to reopen tourism in Hawaii.

The testing program would allow travelers who have taken an approved COVID-19 test within 72 hours of traveling to Hawaii to bypass a mandatory 14-day self-quarantine for out-of state passengers that’s been in place since March 26.

The plan, which was first announced in June, was originally going to launch Aug. 1, then Ige pushed it back to Sept. 1 and then Oct. 1 at the earliest.

“Just talking with many in the industry, it will probably not be Oct. 1,” Ige said today during an interview with “Spotlight Hawaii,” the Star-Advertiser’s Facebook Live show. “But in the next few days we’ll be providing a better plan for the scheduling of what those dates would look like.”

Travel demand for Hawaii has fallen significantly amid COVID-19 fears and tourism lockdowns.

Only 22,562 visitors flew to Hawaii in July, which last year was Hawaii’s best tourism month. Tourism arrivals to Hawaii declined 98% in July and 65% through the first seven months of the year.

It was February when Hawaii tourism last saw any gains, and hardships are mounting as the tourism lockdown that started in March has headed into fall.

A mandatory 14-day quarantine remains in effect for out-of-state travelers to reduce the spread of COVID-19. A partial interisland quarantine also was reinstated on Aug. 11.

Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell, with Ige’s permission, recently extended a stay-at-home order, which began on Aug. 27 and is now slated to run through Sept. 23. The order is still strict, but parks, beaches and hiking trails have reopened to allow individuals to engage in solo activities, including reading, meditating, eating, jogging and sitting on the beach alone.

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tompalm, thanks for posting this, I was just coming on to TUG post this sad news myself. I was really hoping to avail myself of the AC opportunity to Hawaii, like klpca.
This is so disappointing!

And sad for Hawaii, they are having such a hard time financially without the tourism. A friend of mine owns short term rentals on Oahu, and visitors cannot even stay in a short term or vacation rental if they are subject to the 14 day quarantine, so he has lost so much business.

Hopefully this changes soon!

And I hope this is ok that I post this link, it is where I saw the quote by Gov. David Ige:

Stay well!

Karen

Gov. David Ige today said that he’s likely to delay for the third time the start of a pre-arrivals testing program to reopen tourism in Hawaii.

The testing program would allow travelers who have taken an approved COVID-19 test within 72 hours of traveling to Hawaii to bypass a mandatory 14-day self-quarantine for out-of state passengers that’s been in place since March 26.

The plan, which was first announced in June, was originally going to launch Aug. 1, then Ige pushed it back to Sept. 1 and then Oct. 1 at the earliest.

“Just talking with many in the industry, it will probably not be Oct. 1,” Ige said today during an interview with “Spotlight Hawaii,” the Star-Advertiser’s Facebook Live show. “But in the next few days we’ll be providing a better plan for the scheduling of what those dates would look like.”

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score
“Just talking with many in the industry, it will probably not be October 1st, but in the next few days we will be providing a better plan for the scheduling of what those dates would look like,” he (Gov. David Ige ) said. (from the link from Tompalm)

So hopefully we will get good news soon...

LovinTheTropics

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just booked a week at Ko Olina in November using the AC in my account. Total cost for a 2 bedroom was $312. I chose Ko Olina because it is an easy resort for hunkering down (pretty self contained). Airfare will be with Hawaiian using miles (easy to deal with if we cancel). I called Interval to understand what their covid policy is with AC's and the answer seemed to be "it depends" but the gist seemed to be that if Hawaii is still under a mandatory quarantine they will work with us to rebook somewhere else. I decided to roll the dice. It will be my third time trying to get over to Hawaii this year.
I've been able to flip multiple AC's, by booking Hawaii, into the 12 month AC's that seem to pull stronger units....
but still a gamble as sometimes you need the right agent to assist

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
We are moving to the big island but had many cancelled weeks to use so we are going to Marriott’s Waiohai in Kauai for 4 weeks ( quarantining for two) and then two weeks on Oahu at Ko Olina early November then on to the big island. We had wanted to do a short term rental on the big island til we picked a permanent place but you can’t quarantine in a short term rental or even a timeshare on the big island so we are hoping that the inter island quarantine might be lifted by then or it is a hotel room for us...yikes.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I've been able to flip multiple AC's, by booking Hawaii, into the 12 month AC's that seem to pull stronger units....
Thanks for sharing. It's good to know that the replacement AC might turn out to be a positive. I am still keeping my fingers crossed for Hawaii but I am sure that something will work out one way or another.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
We are moving to the big island but had many cancelled weeks to use so we are going to Marriott’s Waiohai in Kauai for 4 weeks ( quarantining for two) and then two weeks on Oahu at Ko Olina early November then on to the big island. We had wanted to do a short term rental on the big island til we picked a permanent place but you can’t quarantine in a short term rental or even a timeshare on the big island so we are hoping that the inter island quarantine might be lifted by then or it is a hotel room for us...yikes.

I live in Juno Beach, too!

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score

Can you give an example of a stronger unit you have found? I'm tempted to try this...Nice that it gives you longer to use it, but I always seem to have AC's that I don't use, then I get more that show up in my account.

When I called II, they told me that their policy for AC's changes and depends on what it is the day you call. I think she said that the replacement AC would not get me back to Hawaii, tho.

Karen

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@klpca What an interesting idea! We've never used an AC even though they have been consistently in our account. Let us know how it works out.

LovinTheTropics

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you give an example of a stronger unit you have found? I'm tempted to try this...Nice that it gives you longer to use it, but I always seem to have AC's that I don't use, then I get more that show up in my account.

When I called II, they told me that their policy for AC's changes and depends on what it is the day you call. I think she said that the replacement AC would not get me back to Hawaii, tho.

Karen

currently, the 12 month AC shows Hawaii for October and November dates only
but plenty of other Marriott, Hyatt, Vistana resorts pop up with them
I have found them to be slightly stronger than the initial AC's
examples of resorts I have booked with them
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Westin Desert Willow

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score
currently, the 12 month AC shows Hawaii for October and November dates only
but plenty of other Marriott, Hyatt, Vistana resorts pop up with them
I have found them to be slightly stronger than the initial AC's
examples of resorts I have booked with them
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Westin Desert Willow

LovinTheTropics - thanks for the info!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
@klpca What an interesting idea! We've never used an AC even though they have been consistently in our account. Let us know how it works out.
Use them! I’ve used 9 during COVID. 7 in Orlando and 2 in Aruba surf club. Use it if you can!

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
How did you find private transportation? I wouldn’t know where to begin.
Actually, the security person at Marriott Maui knew someone. While the resort was like 95%+ empty, security answered the phone a lot, so i asked them a lot of questions, including if they would actually let me check in, since I got that generic manager email asking me not to come.

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If anyone is a bit of a gambler and likes to get a deal airfare (with miles in my case) is dirt cheap. I just booked our flights and first class was 80,000 miles, regular seating was 35,000 for round trip. Hawaiian is also offering "no change fees" through the end of the year. Man, I hope that this trip happens because things like this are once in a lifetime. I am still not getting my hopes up, but I have my fingers crossed.
We’ll be bummed if the trip doesn’t happen because we are getting our hopes up. Only getting the Covid 19 test results in time worries us, including a false positive.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Actually, the security person at Marriott Maui knew someone. While the resort was like 95%+ empty, security answered the phone a lot, so i asked them a lot of questions, including if they would actually let me check in, since I got that generic manager email asking me not to come.

What a great strategy - I will have to try asking people at the resort if I need help.

NOLA47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations and Escapes to the Shores Orange Beach
I know I will likely feel foolish after asking but what does AC mean Please?

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
AC= Accommodations Certificate given by Interval International

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOLA47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations and Escapes to the Shores Orange Beach

klkaylor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hawaii now allows for pre arrivial testing starting with arrivial on 15 Oct 20 -so no quarantine. Key on this program is 72 hrs before arrival - that can be tough from the east coast. We are holding an ocean front on Maui for 12 days and just debating whether we can get the testing done to meet our flight departure times and arrival times

Attachments

• Pre-Travel-Test-or-Quarantine-Flowchart.pdf
    49.9 KB · Views: 16

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Hawaii now allows for pre arrivial testing starting with arrivial on 15 Oct 20 -so no quarantine. Key on this program is 72 hrs before arrival - that can be tough from the east coast. We are holding an ocean front on Maui for 12 days and just debating whether we can get the testing done to meet our flight departure times and arrival times

I am coming from the east coast (Florida) and it appears unlikely I can meet this requirement. We are overnighting in SFO on a Saturday and flying to HNL on a Sunday. We arrive on a Sunday at 1:40 PM (6:40 PM EST). There is a 5 hour time difference in November. I will not be able to find anyone to test us Thursday after 6:40 PM so the earliest I can be tested is Friday morning within this 72 hour window. It is doubtful our results can be back on time with a sample being sent to the lab over the weekend so I am likely going to have to quarantine for a few days upon arrival. I wish they would relax this 72 hour period a little as it is impossible to meet if you live on the east coast.