• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I will be the guinea pig - I used an AC for Hawaii

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thank you for clarifying. So if you cannot use the AC is the money gone?

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Okay, I threw in the towel yesterday and cancelled all airline reservations and II exchanges for our planned trip for 9 weeks from Jan 9 to Mar 14. I just could not personally deal with all the HI drama and figured at my ripe old age, I shouldn't be hoping on an airplane for a very long flight and certainly didn't want to contract Covid in Kauai and Big Island where medical facilities are limited. We can skip this trip for a year!

AA re-deposited all our frequent flyer miles into our accounts for the tixs with no fees - thank you AA. I booked an alternative timeshare 6 week trip to Sedona, Palm Springs, and Lake Havasu for Jan thru Feb instead. I ended up booking the 4 RCI weeks as extra vacations given the rentals were only $350 for Sedona and $270 for Havasu - what a deal given the extra fees are about $240 per week now. Re-traded my Marriott weeks for their Palm Springs Resorts - which are very nice. Will lose all the $$ for the 7 RCI exchange fees which is about $1600 - ouch!

So another cross country road trip for us from the East Coast with a stop over in Milwaukee to visit our daughter and SIL for Xmas. Hope we don't encounter much snow like we did last time we did this same trip a few years ago. But should be fairly safe given it will mostly be an outdoor vacation with hiking the main focus!

I totally concur with your decision to cancel your 9 weeks from Jan-Mar in Hawaii. We have also given up going to Hawaii vacation this year and are looking forward to a possible Fall 2021 Hawaii trip. We are very temperature sensitive so being in warm weather is important to us. However, while I love being in Hawaii during the winter on the East Coast since it is summer there, why are you going during the same time frame to Arizona and California. While the temperatures will surely be better than VA the nightime temperature could be as low as 30 F, and the day temperatures while comfortable will be in the 60's most or the time. I would think that an Late March thru May would be a better time to go in early 2021.

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm disappointed and ready to throw in the towel on this one, too. I wonder how my cancellations will work...hopefully at least get credit on our accounts for future use,because I don't think II, TP, or the airlines will refund...
Okay, I threw in the towel yesterday and cancelled all airline reservations and II exchanges for our planned trip

I did get credits on airline and TP trade cancellations, and retrade on II etrade with no hassle.
After 2 calls and ~2 hours on the phone (including holds) with II, they did give me a replacement prepaid AC for the AC booked for the Big Island...if at first you don't succeed, beg, beg again!

I am grateful to II (because they did not have to do that for me), but sorry I spent so much time planning/booking/cancelling this trip. (At least the planning part was fun) Am now just planning driveable trips.

NOLA47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations and Escapes to the Shores Orange Beach
Is AC an account credit?
I enjoy most of the posts but I am so often stuck with all the abbreviations. Thanks.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Is AC an account credit?
I enjoy most of the posts but I am so often stuck with all the abbreviations. Thanks.
When you have a timeshare that is in interval international and you belong they time to time provide "free" certificates you can use to book vacations called Accomodation Certificates (AC). You use them to exchange for whatever limited inventory they have available and are willing to allow an AC to exchange, there is a fee ( not sure the exact amount but around $300 for a week).

NOLA47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations and Escapes to the Shores Orange Beach
thanks for the explanation. sounds like a great benefit.

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
I totally concur with your decision to cancel your 9 weeks from Jan-Mar in Hawaii. We have also given up going to Hawaii vacation this year and are looking forward to a possible Fall 2021 Hawaii trip. We are very temperature sensitive so being in warm weather is important to us. However, while I love being in Hawaii during the winter on the East Coast since it is summer there, why are you going during the same time frame to Arizona and California. While the temperatures will surely be better than VA the nightime temperature could be as low as 30 F, and the day temperatures while comfortable will be in the 60's most or the time. I would think that an Late March thru May would be a better time to go in early 2021.

Our re-scheduled trip from HI to CA and AZ for Jan-Feb is primarily for hiking - so 50- 60 deg is perfect IMHO so I don't sweat on those uphill routes - LOL! Just hope there not a freak snowstorm in Sedona like the time we did this same trip a few yrs ago. Typically, Sedona will get a few inches and then it easily melts. However, they were predicting like 20 inches during our last day in the timeshare - with checkout the next morning. The timeshare offered NO rentals to extend our stay by one or two days and we could not find any last minute timeshare weeks and hotels were like $250-300 per night - ouch! So we left 2 days early, after staying 12 nights, and headed to Albuquerque for a few days to allow the snow to be cleared off the roads to Arches and Canyonlands NPs - where we were visiting next. Winter travel is great since last minute AirBnBs are no problem to find.

I agree that late March thru May may be a better time with less snow - but we have another trip planned to Oregon for a family wedding celebration on May 8th - hope it goes as it has been postponed twice already. Plan to spend a week before and a few weeks after on another trip to Oregon coast, Redwood State and NPs, Yosemite, and Kings Canyon/Sequoia.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Our re-scheduled trip from HI to CA and AZ for Jan-Feb is primarily for hiking - so 50- 60 deg is perfect IMHO so I don't sweat on those uphill routes - LOL! Just hope there not a freak snowstorm in Sedona like the time we did this same trip a few yrs ago. Typically, Sedona will get a few inches and then it easily melts. However, they were predicting like 20 inches during our last day in the timeshare - with checkout the next morning. The timeshare offered NO rentals to extend our stay by one or two days and we could not find any last minute timeshare weeks and hotels were like $250-300 per night - ouch! So we left 2 days early, after staying 12 nights, and headed to Albuquerque for a few days to allow the snow to be cleared off the roads to Arches and Canyonlands NPs - where we were visiting next. Winter travel is great since last minute AirBnBs are no problem to find.

I agree that late March thru May may be a better time with less snow - but we have another trip planned to Oregon for a family wedding celebration on May 8th - hope it goes as it has been postponed twice already. Plan to spend a week before and a few weeks after on another trip to Oregon coast, Redwood State and NPs, Yosemite, and Kings Canyon/Sequoia.

I can see you are travelling people like we were last year before the virus. In August we had 8 nights in NYC, September-October we had 3 nights in Zion National Park followed by 16 nights in Las Vegas, in December we had 15 nights on the Island of Hawaii before 4 months in Honolulu which we cut down to 3 months due to the virus. We had planned on 12 nights in Kauai after Honolulu that we of course cancelled.

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you have a timeshare that is in interval international and you belong they time to time provide "free" certificates you can use to book vacations called Accomodation Certificates (AC). You use them to exchange for whatever limited inventory they have available and are willing to allow an AC to exchange, there is a fee ( not sure the exact amount but around $300 for a week).

I paid $312 for my most recent AC reservation. One thing to note is that while you do have 24 hours to change your mind, after that you are stuck: no refund, no ability to re-use or change it (unless you call and ask if they will allow you re-use it BUT you will have to pay the fee again)

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We are still on. We are supposed to leave this week. It's been a real nail biter.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are still on. We are supposed to leave this week. It's been a real nail biter.
I hope it works out for you! I am needing to live vicariously through your vacation, lol. I hope that whatever happens, that you feel peaceful about it.

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score

Good luck! We threw in the towel. It could have been good, but the quarantine for inter Island travel ruined it for us. We didn't want to go to Oahu. I hope you have an amazing trip! Let us know!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good luck! We threw in the towel. It could have been good, but the quarantine for inter Island travel ruined it for us. We didn't want to go to Oahu. I hope you have an amazing trip! Let us know!
Aww, too bad. But I totally get it. It has been a bumpier road than I expected.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Getting closer - just made the appointments for our covid tests. This may actually happen guys. :cool:

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Getting closer - just made the appointments for our covid tests. This may actually happen guys. :cool:
You'll be able to join the tugger get together hosted by @frank808 and @JanT . As Jan stated in the other tread, she's baking a cake or 2 or 3...and cake is a good reason to travel to Hawaii!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And the results were negative (of course) so it looks like the trip is on! Btw used CVS - tested at 11:20am on Wednesday and received my results this morning at 7:00am. The results email came from Quest and not CVS.

I can't believe that this is happening, lol.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
And the results were negative (of course) so it looks like the trip is on! Btw used CVS - tested at 11:20am on Wednesday and received my results this morning at 7:00am. The results email came from Quest and not CVS.

Glad you can go. I am traveling through you since I must work. That's rapid turnaround. We got tests from Kaiser Norcal for my son in July and it took almost a week to get a negative result.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Glad you can go. I am traveling through you since I must work. That's rapid turnaround. We got tests from Kaiser Norcal for my son in July and it took almost a week to get a negative result.
I suspect that these must be marked for expedited treatment and that is the reason that you can't go to any CVS or Quest but have to go to specific locations. It's just a guess but seems logical to me. Btw we are still waiting on my husband's test results. I am sure that they will be here soon but still in a bit of a holding pattern.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

I have an appointment for family and I tomorrow at CVS here in Orlando. Hope we get the test back before we leave Orlando on Monday at noon. With your post it seems CVS will get it back in time.

Have a great vacation!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OMG. I thought that we were going to have to cancel because my husband didn't get his test results. He just got the text, so 11 hours after mine. But finally it looks like we are all set.

To be honest (hate to admit this) this was a lot more stress than I expected. I don't like the variables with the testing and I'm not sure that I would do it again because if things go wrong, like a lost test, the 14 day quarantine is looming. I will reserve judgment after I've spent some time on the beach though. In the meantime I'm going to finish packing. Aloha!

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
OMG! You poor thing!! So glad his results came back and you’re ready to go. I’m sorry you had to go through that!

You’ll feel better when you get here!

OMG. I thought that we were going to have to cancel because my husband didn't get his test results. He just got the text, so 11 hours after mine. But finally it looks like we are all set.

To be honest (hate to admit this) this was a lot more stress than I expected. I don't like the variables with the testing and I'm not sure that I would do it again because if things go wrong, like a lost test, the 14 day quarantine is looming. I will reserve judgment after I've spent some time on the beach though. In the meantime I'm going to finish packing. Aloha!

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I would like to suggest that you bring a hard copy of the test results with you. If there is any bump in the road, a paper copy could make the difference.