• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I will be the guinea pig - I used an AC for Hawaii

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I ALWAYS APPRECIATE your feedback. We did move our dates a week later so we don’t have to get testing done with processing over thanksgiving , especially since testing details (Hawaii partnership with CVS and Kaiser) not currently available here in Oregon. Of course, everything is cancelleable Accept our timeshare week (used our last eplus so not a AC), so we can back out if we don’t feel safe and/or can’t get Covid 19 results back prior to boarding.
[/QUOTE]

We have always stayed away from Holidays for travel even before the virus due to more crowds and higher rates except when we are making travel arrangements that included our Grandchildren who are in school. If you don't have to travel during those periods why do it?
Now with the Coronavirus Testing Results Requirement there is an additional reason not to travel during those times.

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aaaagh!! It looks like my Hawaii 3 island plan is not working out: it looks like we will not be able to travel inter-island without a 14 day quarantine.

Back to the drawing board...at least everything is able to be canceled without penalty...It may just be a 1-island trip after all.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Aaaagh!! It looks like my Hawaii 3 island plan is not working out: it looks like we will not be able to travel inter-island without a 14 day quarantine.

Back to the drawing board...at least everything is able to be canceled without penalty...It may just be a 1-island trip after all.

Yes, you should pick just one island right now - there are too many moving parts otherwise and too many chances of something going wrong with your trip. That is what we are doing as well.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
So Hawaiian sent me an email last night and our return flight (Saturday) is canceled. Grrrr. Still trying to figure out if I should shorten the trip by a day or add one night.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Btw there is another thread in the Hawaii forum the "factual" thread where everyone is posting the travel news. It's a little easier to keep track of the changes to the rules in that thread. :)

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
From our 'What it's worth department', you should be able to plan on a 2 island trip that starts on a neighbor island and ends on O'ahu - there is no inter-island quarantine travelling *to* O'ahu. This is course assumes you've lined up a local COVID-19 test facility that can give you a quick enough turn around (or are flying out of SFO or one of the other airports that have approved 'quick test' facilities) for your visit to the neighbor island.

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score
From our 'What it's worth department', you should be able to plan on a 2 island trip that starts on a neighbor island and ends on O'ahu - there is no inter-island quarantine travelling *to* O'ahu.

Thanks! I hadn't thought of Oahu, since DH wasn't interested in going there and I was there in March right before the quarantines started. (I was chaperoning 50 teenagers - it was a blast!) I will float that by DH and see if I can sell that idea

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
I have been following this thread and the other HI reopening threads and become more discouraged that our annual 2 month trip to Kauai and the Big Island just isn’t going to happen this year. We have 3 exchanges confirmed on Kauai followed by 6 wks on the Big Island.

While the proposed Oct 15 date allowing a negative Covid test within 3 days of arrival to avoid the 14 day quarantine was encouraging; the mayors of Kauai, the Big Island, and Maui are not buying into this proposal and want to require a second test after a required 3 day quarantine. To boot, inter island travel is still subject to a 14 day quarantine without an option for a Covid pretest and currently the Big Island does not allow the quarantine be completed in a timeshare.

With all the uncertainties and the extra costs required for testing, probably time to throw in the towel and just cancel and try to book an alternative timeshare vacation to CA and AZ for the same time frame while some availability still exists. Maybe I should just wait another week to see if and how the Oct 15 Covid pretest plays out?? Too many hard decisions to make!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have been following this thread and the other HI reopening threads and become more discouraged that our annual 2 month trip to Kauai and the Big Island just isn’t going to happen this year. We have 3 exchanges confirmed on Kauai followed by 6 wks on the Big Island.

While the proposed Oct 15 date allowing a negative Covid test within 3 days of arrival to avoid the 14 day quarantine was encouraging; the mayors of Kauai, the Big Island, and Maui are not buying into this proposal and want to require a second test after a required 3 day quarantine. To boot, inter island travel is still subject to a 14 day quarantine without an option for a Covid pretest and currently the Big Island does not allow the quarantine be completed in a timeshare.

With all the uncertainties and the extra costs required for testing, probably time to throw in the towel and just cancel and try to book an alternative timeshare vacation to CA and AZ for the same time frame while some availability still exists. Maybe I should just wait another week to see if and how the Oct 15 Covid pretest plays out?? Too many hard decisions to make!
We're still going to try but since the governor can be overruled by the mayors I'm not very positive about going. Honestly if I had known that going in I wouldn't have bothered. Live and learn. It's really no big deal other than wanting to see my uncle. If we don't go this year we'll be putting off a visit for the foreseeable future as Hawaii is a quick, easy trip for us but we have been many times and there really are other places that we want to see.

Last edited:

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
We're still going to try but since the governor can be overruled by the mayors I'm not very positive about going. Honestly if I had known that going in I wouldn't have bothered. Live and learn. It's really no big deal other than wanting to see my uncle. If we don't go this year we'll be putting off a visit for the foreseeable future as Hawaii is a quick, easy trip for us but we have been many times and there really are other places that we want to see.

Yes, I see you live in CA - so indeed an easy trip to HI for you. We too have visited Hawaii many times over the yrs and with staying for 2 months since retirement, we just chill in the condo much of the time with a periodic trip to the beach for snorkeling or whale watching. We do truly love snorkeling and is why we primarily go.

A few yrs ago, we took a break from HI and visited Palm Springs, the CA coast, and Sedona during Jan to Feb. We did enjoy hiking in Joshua NP, the Sedona area, and Arches NP during our trip. Got some exercise instead of lots of sitting in HI - Lol! However, it is a long cross country road trip from the East coast and we did get delayed by some major snow storms during the trip.

Just nice to get out of the house. We missed our 2 month fall trip to Europe this year as part of visiting our daughter who is working in Germany. Instead, we visited our other daughter in Milwaukee and continued on to our first Covid trip to Upper MI and WI along Lake Superior and Michigan- very scenic and some great hiking.

Maybe we will just stay home this winter?? We do live directly on a beach along the Chesapeake Bay so have a awesome water view but what am I going to do with all those timeshare weeks??

Good luck on your HI trip - what a deal on the Marriott Resorts as they are awesome resorts - we have enjoyed our stays at all of them.

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm disappointed and ready to throw in the towel on this one, too. I wonder how my cancellations will work...hopefully at least get credit on our accounts for future use,because I don't think II, TP, or the airlines will refund...

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina

Why can the Governor be overruled by the mayors? I had never heard this before. In most states, the Governor can preempt local orders and policy.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why can the Governor be overruled by the mayors? I had never heard this before. In most states, the Governor can preempt local orders and policy.
See post 110 above. The mayors are pushing back. I'm not sure what authority they have but it appears that they are able to influence the decision making. It seems odd but it's 2020 and nothing really surprises me anymore, lol.

Last edited:

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc

The big island is not letting timeshares or short term rentals be used for quarantine ( unlike the other island) so you would have to quarantine in a hotel on the big island. The timeshare on the big island are still closed. We are quarantining in Kauai now and then have two weeks here after quarantine and then two weeks at Ko Olina. We hope that there is a plan by then for reduced inter island quarantine. We do have 15 days booked at a hotel on the big island but hope not to have to quarantine there and book a rental instead.

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm disappointed and ready to throw in the towel on this one, too. I wonder how my cancellations will work...hopefully at least get credit on our accounts for future use,because I don't think II, TP, or the airlines will refund...

Eight of our exchanges are with RCI who recently instituted a new cancellation policy which will return all my trading power if I cancel prior to Dec 31, but I will lose the exchange fees. I have the option to purchase Enhanced Protection for $129 each which will allow a free exchange credit where new booking must be made prior to Mar 31 2021. Of course, there is the fee to extend the time limit on using the weeks. Ka ching - exchange companies stay up all night figuring out how to maximize their fees!

Our two II Marriott exchanges are free and we have free retrades to other Marriott resorts. Just need to retrade before 60 days of occupancy to not have any restrictions.

Our airline tixs are award tixs and I think that cancellation is free but not sure since rules have changed frequently during the pandemic.

Have already cancelled a trip in May - so not happy to go thru this again!

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Gov Ige's order allowing for a negative COVID-19 test dispensation from the 14-day quarantine allowed the Mayors to continue to require the quarantine.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I have been intrigued by this thread but have never traded in II. I have some questions:

1) Pick an AC location more than 60 days in the future or there will be reduced benefits, correct?
2) buy ePlus so you can re-trade
3) If AC date doesn't work, trade in ePlus:

- Where do you find properties to trade for an AC?
- Do you need to re-trade prior to 60 days of the original AC?
- What if you pick a replacement that is within 60 days and you cannot go, does ePlus still work?
- What if there is no property you want to trade for when you want to cancel/ePlus your unit? What happens.
- How many times can you re-trade in EPlus?
- are there any additional costs to re-trading beyond the EPlus fee?

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have been intrigued by this thread but have never traded in II. I have some questions:

1) Pick an AC location more than 60 days in the future or there will be reduced benefits, correct?
2) buy ePlus so you can re-trade
3) If AC date doesn't work, trade in ePlus:

- Where do you find properties to trade for an AC?
- Do you need to re-trade prior to 60 days of the original AC?
- What if you pick a replacement that is within 60 days and you cannot go, does ePlus still work?
- What if there is no property you want to trade for when you want to cancel/ePlus your unit? What happens.
- How many times can you re-trade in EPlus?
- are there any additional costs to re-trading beyond the EPlus fee?
There is no eplus with an AC. It's essentially a "final sale". Eplus is used only with a regular exchange.

AC's are essentially bonus weeks. Unlike a regular exchange which lists availability by location, when using an AC to search you choose the month first, then see what is available for that month.

Usually the pickings are slim - lots of studios in off season locations. Finding Hawaii, especially 2 bedroom Marriotts, is unheard of.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gov Ige's order allowing for a negative COVID-19 test dispensation from the 14-day quarantine allowed the Mayors to continue to require the quarantine.

I'm pretty sure that Kauai will be next - not sure where the Maui mayor is on this. The only wild card (imo) is Oahu. Not sure where they stand on this.

I sure wish that we knew! So much uncertainty. But *2020*, so par for the course, lol.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I'm pretty sure that Kauai will be next - not sure where the Maui mayor is on this. The only wild card (imo) is Oahu. Not sure where they stand on this.

I sure wish that we knew! So much uncertainty. But *2020*, so par for the course, lol.
I wonder if a person could get the Covid test, go to, say Oahu for 14 days and then go on to the big island having, in essence, completed the 14 day quarantine while vacationing on Oahu??

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I wonder if a person could get the Covid test, go to, say Oahu for 14 days and then go on to the big island having, in essence, completed the 14 day quarantine while vacationing on Oahu??

Not under the current rules. Going from Oahu to any other island requires a 14 day quarantine right now. There is supposed to be an announcement on inter-island travel this week so stay tuned.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Okay, I threw in the towel yesterday and cancelled all airline reservations and II exchanges for our planned trip for 9 weeks from Jan 9 to Mar 14. I just could not personally deal with all the HI drama and figured at my ripe old age, I shouldn't be hoping on an airplane for a very long flight and certainly didn't want to contract Covid in Kauai and Big Island where medical facilities are limited. We can skip this trip for a year!

AA re-deposited all our frequent flyer miles into our accounts for the tixs with no fees - thank you AA. I booked an alternative timeshare 6 week trip to Sedona, Palm Springs, and Lake Havasu for Jan thru Feb instead. I ended up booking the 4 RCI weeks as extra vacations given the rentals were only $350 for Sedona and $270 for Havasu - what a deal given the extra fees are about $240 per week now. Re-traded my Marriott weeks for their Palm Springs Resorts - which are very nice. Will lose all the $$ for the 7 RCI exchange fees which is about $1600 - ouch!

So another cross country road trip for us from the East Coast with a stop over in Milwaukee to visit our daughter and SIL for Xmas. Hope we don't encounter much snow like we did last time we did this same trip a few years ago. But should be fairly safe given it will mostly be an outdoor vacation with hiking the main focus!