• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I think this is a good buy (eBay)

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just won a 5000 Pt. Gold at the Boulevard for $1075, with all closing fees paid by seller. I just have the transfer fee. I prefer Platinum, but the price difference on this is enough (even at the $3000 I was looking to pay) to cover like 20 years. Now we'll see about ROFR.

Low MFs. And, even though MF/point is higher the Platinum, the buy-in was nice, especially with no closing fees.

Cheers.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I just won a 5000 Pt. Gold at the Boulevard for $1075, with all closing fees paid by seller. I just have the transfer fee. I prefer Platinum, but the price difference on this is enough (even at the $3000 I was looking to pay) to cover like 20 years. Now we'll see about ROFR.

Low MFs. And, even though MF/point is higher the Platinum, the buy-in was nice, especially with no closing fees.

Cheers.
Congrats. That's a good buy. Probably clears ROFR easily.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
nice. Seems good to me!

I want to confirm: a point is a point is a point in HGVC. Doesn’t matter where it is, or what color season, or if the weeks float or are fixed: 5000 points can be used in club season anywhere in the system, pending availability.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup. Points are points. Only advantage to owning Platinum instead of Gold is that I'd have 7000 points for the same MF as these 5000. But the buy-in would typically be higher.

Cheers.

Reaction score
although I am a buy-Platinum snob, there is almost no scenario where I would book Las Vegas outside the 9 month window and I would not stay for a week

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
although I am a buy-Platinum snob, there is almost no scenario where I would book Las Vegas outside the 9 month window and I would not stay for a week

I'm a buy Platinum snob as well after some prior Gold mistakes before I knew better. However, the numbers on this showed me a break-even likely to be after we;re Octogenarians :)

Cheers.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cna you explain? I get that MFs are cheaper per point for plat vs gold because, but as you say the lower upfront costs here overwhelm that calculation.

Anyway there are sometimes annual resales on eBay for gold 5000+ points for what also comes out to under $1000 for the buyer including all closing costs and annual MFs under $1000. Are you saying that, in theory, if you could find the same unit but plat season, thus 7000+ points, you'd pay more upfront but get more points per MF dollar and that over many years it would still be better to pay the higher upfront price? That makes sense, would have to do the math... If I can get 7000 points for under $1000 annual MF I think I'm going to be pretty happy.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that, in theory, if you could find the same unit but plat season, thus 7000+ points, you'd pay more upfront but get more points per MF dollar and that over many years it would still be better to pay the higher upfront price? That makes sense, would have to do the math...

Yes, that's the wisdom. More up-front but less/point in the long run. SO, over time, the higher up-front will win out. Just depends upon how long.[

If I can get 7000 points for under $1000 annual MF I think I'm going to be pretty happy.

I'm sure it could happen, but this would be quite hard to find. And, in normal times, it would likely not pass ROFR, even if one could find it. Now is a special time, which is why I'm jumping now.

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm right behind you, trying to add an eoy 7000 to an annual HHV Lagoon 7000 so I could switch over to GW or GI some years or occasionally add on BI or just switch everything to BI Kingsland.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
If I can get 7000 points for under $1000 annual MF I think I'm going to be pretty happy.
Yes, you actually should be more than happy. I would also say under normal circumstances, this would be impossible to find. But, these aren't normal circumstances, and actually right now is the optimum time to find such a bargain (IMO). This is because it is the MFs time of year. I also think that HGVC is waving all ROFR (JMO).

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Just to be clear, are you asking if it’s possible to a 7000 point unit under $1000 MF for under $1000 of just a 7000 point unit with MF’s under $1000.

If it’s the former, that would be rare. Maybe one of the Scotland properties might be possible or, if you are lucky in today’s market, you can find LV Paradise or Boulevard.

If it’s the later, than there are several that would fit that description. The Scotland properties, Paradise, Boulevard and a 1 Bedroom Grand or Grand Plus at Elara would fit that description too.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lol I was a little vague! I meant the former, but you're right that the latter are more available. Bottom line 7000 pt eoy for a low buy in and low MF will make me happy while I try to lock up Lagoon separately/permanently.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lol I was a little vague! I meant the former, but you're right that the latter are more available. Bottom line 7000 pt eoy for a low buy in and low MF will make me happy while I try to lock up Lagoon separately/permanently.

Ah, EOY may be more possible as they go for much less than annual.

Cheers.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TUGGERs are really cleaning up on the eBay auctions.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
TUGGERs are really cleaning up on the eBay auctions.

And, at the same time, I hope that we're all steering clear of the shady/scam deals that have recently begun showing up there, particular sellers with questionable offerings/practices.

Cheers.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And, at the same time, I hope that we're all steering clear of the shady/scam deals that have recently begun showing up there, particular sellers with questionable offerings/practices.

Cheers.
Yep. There are a few of those popping up. I’ve got an interesting case study I may post about. Not sure if I want to give more publicity to that seller or not.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep. There are a few of those popping up. I’ve got an interesting case study I may post about. Not sure if I want to give more publicity to that seller or not.

Indeed. I went a good way down the road with questions and research here about one multiple-listing seller. I'm going to defer to @jabberwocky since s/he commented first on this and not post any names at this point here, but they do exist in other threads I've posted in.

Cheers.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I probably won't be able to get to it until the weekend - work is getting crazy!

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
In advance of the case study, I can point out one questionable seller that I'm familiar with. A number of recent listings. I asked several questions and got reasonable answers at first. Then I dug deeper and got no reply.

travel4you5 is the seller. Note that I'm not making any explicit claims about this seller. I'm only sharing an opinion and my own experiences. I would suggest to approach with extreme caution.

Also, see this thread starting around post #265 or so

Cheers.

emoneybug

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - Saratoga Springs 365pts (resale)
I picked up 1 and only HGVC contract on ebay also, a free 7,000 pt bay club (seller paid closing, etc). I don't recall having to pay that $600ish fee (unless the seller paid). I did have to pay around $400-500 to enroll the timeshare in hgvc points system.

I recently learned HGVC can buy points from fellow owners via transfer. Was reading that the rate is 0.15-0.20 per point. So if I can buy a transfer that low, there doesn't seem to be much need from my standpoint to pick up another contract right? especially if I don't want to outlay cash like the OP and pay purchase price + closing cost for lower MF resort?

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I recently learned HGVC can buy points from fellow owners via transfer. Was reading that the rate is 0.15-0.20 per point. So if I can buy a transfer that low, there doesn't seem to be much need from my standpoint to pick up another contract right? especially if I don't want to outlay cash like the OP and pay purchase price + closing cost for lower MF resort?
Can you provide details or a link? I actually haven't heard of any formal system for such but I know two individuals can transfer points.

emoneybug

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - Saratoga Springs 365pts (resale)
Can you provide details or a link? I actually haven't heard of any formal system for such but I know two individuals can transfer points.

I just joined a HGVC Rental type Facebook group and saw some postings from owners. Some comments from other users asked how that worked and they mentioned payment via venmo/paypal, etc than a 3 way call with HGVC and the points are transferred.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just joined a HGVC Rental type Facebook group and saw some postings from owners. Some comments from other users asked how that worked and they mentioned payment via venmo/paypal, etc than a 3 way call with HGVC and the points are transferred.
Facebook? That explains a lot :)

Yeah, folks can sell their points to others for whatever they want. Not a sanctioned action (and against the rules) as far as I know. Wouldn't stop me, but it does mean that there are no guarantees of price or availability.

Cheers.

MattnTricia

TUG Member
Reaction score
As an FYI It has been a while since I added to my membership and like others I thought this could be a good time.

For me I decided to hold off but the deals were not too bad.

I wanted to post that the lowest price 7000 point weeks in Scottland I could find were going to be about $4300 all in including transfer fee, HGVC add on fee and the cost of the unit. The maintenance fees have been historically much lower than US units due to the exchange rate but that is not a given to be that way long term. I currently pay about $850 per unit for 7000 points.

My target number from years past was about $3500 and I could not get close after calling around.