• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I signed a time share today whit westgate and I already want to cancel

Reaction score
hello everyone and good night!! in a lovely conversation today for presentation the time share of WESTGATE RESORTS FLORIDA we were convinced to make a down payment of $ 500 because that was all we had in the account. we had never heard of timeshare before and were amazed. but it was enough to get out of there to realize that the heat charged mainly by the annual maintenance fee was a scam. We already saw here that to cancel, just send a written letter. Should that letter be the hand? we are still in the same locality of them, could take the letter there? we received a support material, a tablet and a gift card of $ 125, and in the contract only quotes the letter for the cancellation, someone could tell me if we need to go to return it all this material? we also anticipated and canceled the payment with the credit card, can this cause a problem in the cancellation? Thank you for any help.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
There should be instructions with all your paperwork about how to rescind the purchase, but sometimes it's hidden in a binder or on a CD or something else. Congratulations on finding TUG while you're still within your rescission time limit. It would be easier to mail your letter by certified mail and not have any more contact with sales team as they will attempt to get you to change your mind. Sending the letter by certified mail is most important because you'll have a receipt from the post office showing the date you mailed it.

Since tomorrow is Sunday and Monday is a holiday, you probably can't get it mailed until Tuesday. But you have 10 days to cancel a Florida timeshare purchase so you should be okay as long as you mail it before the 10 days are up.

Be sure everyone who signed the contract signs the letter and keep a copy of the letter as well as your receipt for the certified mail. Cancelling the payment with the credit card should have no bearing on your rescission. Return the tablet by the cheapest method available. If the $125 gift card was offered as an incentive to get you to come sit through the sales presentation, that is yours to keep. You earned it!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
DO NOT hand deliver the letter. It goes to a different office in Ocoee, FL. You really do not want any more to do with these sales people. They will spare no effort to change your mind. If you are still at the resort, unplug the phone. No one you want to talk to will call on that phone.

Mail the letter USPS Certified, and get a receipt that will show you and they get it, and who signed for it. You cannot mail it until Tuesday, so you have time to look through the Cancelling Westgate threads. There are sample letters there you can copy. You do not need an excuse or a reason to cancel. IT IS YOUR RIGHT!

Glad you found us. So write your letter, and to back to your vacation.

Jim

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, be sure to cancel while you are still legally entitled to do so. You can buy a Westgate resale from someone for as little as $1.

As others have said, follow the cancellation instructions exactly to assure that you are cancelled; i.e. be sure to get that Certified Letter in the mail on Tuesday November 13th.

They may call you to try and talk you out of it. Pay no attention to their phone calls!

Keep all of posted. Best of luck!

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
You can buy a Westgate resale from someone for as little as $1.

Correction, you can buy a Westgate timeshare for even less than a $1. Those wanting to sell will likely have to pay all closing and transfer costs and also give you more freebies, such as free usage or a cash gift card. They are that difficult to sell. While I hear that their resorts are nice enough you won’t want to endure the constant badgering to do an owner “update”. They are quite simply the sleeziest in an industry that already suffers from a bad rap. They are also one of the few to seriously devalue their timeshares on resale market which is a part of the reason that people have so much difficulty selling one when they need to sell it. There are MANY other timeshare options on the resale market that would give you many great vacations, and some of these could be free.

Your time to research and ask questions on TUG is unlimited. However, your rescission time is limited to 10 days. Don’t miss that deadline and be stuck forever with Westgate!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
To counter one thing others have said. You don't want a Westgate timeshare at ANY price! They are nice resorts, but have zero value after you pay-whether thousands of penneys, but they will not leave you alone! The sales meetings never stop!

Instead, since you said you knew nothing about TS before the presentation, don't do anything. Cancel. Get your money back. Then if luxury vacations interest you, come back to TUG. We'll show you how to do it right. Timeshare is not an investment. It is an expense we think has value, but that value is not in dollars and cents.

there are many better choices than Westgate.

Jim

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Hi thank you everyone. The lleter need read in computer or for hand? Thank you so mucj for your support. Im very grateful for found TUG in time!!
You can write your letter by hand or on a computer & print it out--it doesn't matter as long as you state your intent to rescind the purchase.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
so very glad you found us in time to save a fortune!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi thank you everyone. The lleter need read in computer or for hand? Thank you so mucj for your support. Im very grateful for found TUG in time!!
in this thread: https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/try-to-cancel-my-westgate-need-help.274336/page-2 in post 36, there is a sample letter, and the address to Mail it to. Put your own names and contract information and dates into the letter. It can be hand written. Mail it on Tuesday. It takes Westgate time to credit you back, but you will have it by Christmas. Do Not answer the phone from them until at least 10 days have passed.

Good LuckG

Jim

Reactions: DrQ

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
WestGate Resort, It is so nice when we "save" one, but unfortunately there are three more that sign and forget to check it out. Weeks or months later figure out that got SCREWED and try to get out only to find the deal is sealed for them..

I am still amazed at the folks that have not 1.) heard of Timeshare and 2.) never heard of TUG.. :)

to the poster. Thank your lucky stars and i hope you will hang around and learn about timeshare.. it's a great product when you buy and use properly. I would suggest you check the rental forum boards.. there you can find many places for good price.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/timeshare-rentals-offered.45/

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi guys! I got suckered into a presentation for a 4night cruise + 3 day hotel stay said I had to pay $40 to attend and I’ll get it back at the end. But she says I have to fill out the form as she tells me - I make more than $50+/year then she asks if I’m married, I say yes , she says if my husband is with me , I say no, she said for me to put down single ! Because then I won’t get the gift due to my husband not being there to sign.
I go to the meeting all is great - tells me to put a $500 down payment then it’ll be $234 / month for 10 years but not to take 10 years because interest rate. Total being “$13,877.89” for a 2 bed split year $900 HOA fee due every other year . I knew something was wrong but it was so early I was so tired hungry, lady didn’t want me to go to the bathroom. I signed to leave. HUGE MISTAKE. My gut feeling was saying it’s wrong math doesn’t make sense you’ll be paying $1000 every other year plus $49-399 if you want to take a different vacation somewhere else. Then she tells I have to “work” as a sales agent to earn my commission and let that work pay for the property. Now I read into it - I’m so glad I found you guys. Getting my letter in the mail tomorrow ! Returning everything (binder+materials+tablet) a.s.a.p! Thanks TUG!

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
GOOD job..
another one bites the dust,, another one bites the dust...
remember it not about the salesperson wellbeing it about yours..

now stay away from anything waste,, er, westgate resorts.. if you want to get something look at wyndham points.. You can find some real good deals.. if you are not familiar with them read, ask questions on the wyndham forums and learn what to get and WHERE.. it does matter the location of resort for maintenance fees cost.

Hi guys! I got suckered into a presentation for a 4night cruise + 3 day hotel stay said I had to pay $40 to attend and I’ll get it back at the end. But she says I have to fill out the form as she tells me - I make more than $50+/year then she asks if I’m married, I say yes , she says if my husband is with me , I say no, she said for me to put down single ! Because then I won’t get the gift due to my husband not being there to sign.
I go to the meeting all is great - tells me to put a $500 down payment then it’ll be $234 / month for 10 years but not to take 10 years because interest rate. Total being “$13,877.89” for a 2 bed split year $900 HOA fee due every other year . I knew something was wrong but it was so early I was so tired hungry, lady didn’t want me to go to the bathroom. I signed to leave. HUGE MISTAKE. My gut feeling was saying it’s wrong math doesn’t make sense you’ll be paying $1000 every other year plus $49-399 if you want to take a different vacation somewhere else. Then she tells I have to “work” as a sales agent to earn my commission and let that work pay for the property. Now I read into it - I’m so glad I found you guys. Getting my letter in the mail tomorrow ! Returning everything (binder+materials+tablet) a.s.a.p! Thanks TUG!

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I was so tired hungry, lady didn’t want me to go to the bathroom.

Welcome to TUG. Some people can go to sales pitches and say No. If you would allow someone, anyone, to prevent you from a needed bathroom break, it doesn't sound like you're one of those people. Stay far away from any kind of salesman. I would have reported her immediately for telling me to lie about my marital status.

Sheila

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Good for you for finding resale.

NadiaCA44

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WestGate
Same with my husband and I. We signed contracts on Wednesday 20th November and I knew we shouldn’t have. We are back at home in the Caribbean and I’m so happy I found your site. I will follow the instructions I’ve seen posted regarding sending a letter as well as all their belongings and hope for the best.
There should be instructions with all your paperwork about how to rescind the purchase, but sometimes it's hidden in a binder or on a CD or something else. Congratulations on finding TUG while you're still within your rescission time limit. It would be easier to mail your letter by certified mail and not have any more contact with sales team as they will attempt to get you to change your mind. Sending the letter by certified mail is most important because you'll have a receipt from the post office showing the date you mailed it.

Since tomorrow is Sunday and Monday is a holiday, you probably can't get it mailed until Tuesday. But you have 10 days to cancel a Florida timeshare purchase so you should be okay as long as you mail it before the 10 days are up.

Be sure everyone who signed the contract signs the letter and keep a copy of the letter as well as your receipt for the certified mail. Cancelling the payment with the credit card should have no bearing on your rescission. Return the tablet by the cheapest method available. If the $125 gift card was offered as an incentive to get you to come sit through the sales presentation, that is yours to keep. You earned it!
ntracts on Wednesday

NadiaCA44

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WestGate
I signed the contracts with WestGate in Miami but the sales person said our time share will be in Orlando. How would I know where to send the letter? Is it to Miami or to Orlando?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
we always suggest when in doubt to follow the instructions in the sales contract you signed. westgate seems to do a great job at burying these instructions so read it over carefully!

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I signed the contracts with WestGate in Miami but the sales person said our time share will be in Orlando. How would I know where to send the letter? Is it to Miami or to Orlando?
Make sure both you and your husband sign the rescission letter, which should state both your names, signatures, and contract number. Check the rescission instructions. Florida has a seven day rescission period. What was the price of your TS?

NadiaCA44

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WestGate
We made a down payment of $300 and have to pay $10,634 in total for the next 10 years. With a monthly installment of $193.

Make sure both you and your husband sign the rescission letter, which should state both your names, signatures, and contract number. Check the rescission instructions. Florida has a seven day rescission period. What was the price of your TS?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

Actually, the good news is that Florida allows ten calendar days to rescind.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Actually, the good news is that Florida allows ten calendar days to rescind.
My mistake. I should know better.