• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I rescinded, now what?

MissusBrown

Reaction score
Hello! I bought with bluegreen yesterday and after scouring the Internet forums and feeling sick to my stomach since I signed the papers, I mailed the rescind letter. Certified mail with return receipt using the wording given on here. So now what do I expect? Will I hear from them? We paid in full on the bluegreen MasterCard.

We are still interested in possibly owning a timeshare, so what steps do we take? I see deals on eBay for $1. Are those legit? What timeshare company do you recommend?

I feel very overwhelmed by everything that's happened since yesterday and I very much appreciate your feedback!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You will probably not hear from them, except to get a refund - probably in about 30 days.

If they call you DO NOT ANSWER THE PHONE OR TALK TO THEM! If they call, it will ONLY be to talk you out of it.

MissusBrown

Reaction score
So, if I don't get a refund after the 45 days stated in the contract then I contact them? I did call them this morning to ask a question and the guy got pissy with me but I was able to get the information I needed.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
...We are still interested in possibly owning a timeshare, so what steps do we take? I see deals on eBay for $1. Are those legit? What timeshare company do you recommend?

I feel very overwhelmed by everything that's happened since yesterday and I very much appreciate your feedback!

Congratulations on rescinding! Now sit back and relax. Start reading different posts.

As to what do we recommend for you to buy cannot be answered easily. A lot depends on how, where, and when you like to travel.

$1 timeshares on eBay are legit but you have to know exactly what you are buying and need to watch who you buy it from. Again, read the forums and you will get an education about Timeshare World.

I recently bought a unit on eBay where the bidding started at $1. I ended up paying just over $100 but that included the closing costs and I got to use it for free this year. That made my total less than a dollar.

In the past I bought el cheapo on eBay for $1, $1, and $10.50. I recently gave all three of them away. Two of them were a whole lot harder to get rid of than they were to buy so again, know what you are getting into before you buy.

Good luck

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
So, if I don't get a refund after the 45 days stated in the contract then I contact them? I did call them this morning to ask a question and the guy got pissy with me but I was able to get the information I needed.

If you complied with the rescission rules, they have to give you your money back, and they know it. Don't call them.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do I need to send the new member books back?

Keep them handy in case someone asks. (unlikely) They will go somewhere different than the financial office where you rescinded, so probably no one knows if they were sent or not. After you get your refund, toss 'em in the recycle bin.

Welcome to TUG, and happy shopping. DeniseM has a questionnaire that will help you decide what or whether timeshares are for you. Basically, the TUG wisdom is to buy resale, and buy where you want to go at least half the time. Points systems- like Bluegreen or Wyndham- have multiple locations and you can go to as do Marriott or HGVC on the higher end.

You made a very good choice by finding TUG, then rescinding. Now, while you wait for your refund, read the Newbies and Exchanging forums and various point systems. Pay particular attention to the 'stickies' at the top of the forums for FAQ's.

Good Luck, Welcome and happy reading.

MissusBrown

Reaction score
A purchaser shall have the right to cancel this contract until midnight of the seventh calendar day following the execution of such contract. Cancellation is without penalty, and all payments made by the purchaser before cancellation must be refunded within forty-five days after the developers receipt of the notice of cancellation..... (III) by mailing the notice by certified United States mail, return receipt requested, to the developer.

No mention of the books. I addressed it to Blue green along with their address listed in Boca Raton. I got an electronic return receipt. Is that ok?

MissusBrown

Reaction score
Keep them handy in case someone asks. (unlikely) They will go somewhere different than the financial office where you rescinded, so probably no one knows if they were sent or not. After you get your refund, toss 'em in the recycle bin.

Welcome to TUG, and happy shopping. DeniseM has a questionnaire that will help you decide what or whether timeshares are for you. Basically, the TUG wisdom is to buy resale, and buy where you want to go at least half the time. Points systems- like Bluegreen or Wyndham- have multiple locations and you can go to as do Marriott or HGVC on the higher end.

You made a very good choice by finding TUG, then rescinding. Now, while you wait for your refund, read the Newbies and Exchanging forums and various point systems. Pay particular attention to the 'stickies' at the top of the forums for FAQ's.

Good Luck, Welcome and happy reading.
Thanks! Where can I find Denise's questionnaire?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And here it is: :hi:

1) Where do you want your home resort to be?

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Click QUOTE at the bottom of my post, and the questions will open up in a new window where you can answer them if you wish.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks and my pleasure! :hi:

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I may offer some advice even as someone new to the forum. I did a lot of research outside of TUG and then found TUG and did some more. I felt like I was well informed to make a purchase. Although I have no regrets that I did (resale), since that time, I've learned even more information about trading, different programs (e.g., Starwood, Marriott, etc.), that would likely have changed my decision. So when people say take your time and research, do! I'm on here every day and learn more and more, especially by going back and reading old posts. And when I do that, many of my questions are answered.

This is an incredible resource - even greater than I thought last year or last month. It helps explain so much about how TS work and how to make the best decision for your particular situation.

So good luck, and be patient!

MissusBrown

Reaction score
Thanks, Czar! My next question is where do I look for a TS rental? It's been suggested that part of my research phase is to rent a few timeshares to get my feet wet.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look in the TUG Marketplace up in the red stripe above, or if within 45 days, the Last Minute Rentals forum (under $100/day) or Redweek.com. You can often rent for less than the underlying unit's MF.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stay off the phone!

There is absolutely no benefit to having any phone conversation at this point, and nothing to be gained.
The law requires the developer to cancel the contract and issue you a full refund if you have followed the rescission instructions to the letter and have done so within state law time limits.

Just let the system and the law work for you now and do not talk to these peoples again on the phone! Don't call them --- and don't answer the phone if they should call you (..which they might well do in order to try to salvage a sale and their disappearing commission by "improving" on the alleged "deal").

Last edited:

post-it

TUG Member
Reaction score
And here it is: :hi:

1) Where do you want your home resort to be?

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Click QUOTE at the bottom of my post, and the questions will open up in a new window where you can answer them if you wish.

Denise this is great! Wish I had taken this quiz years ago when we purchased, of course I didn't know of TUG at that time either.

MissusBrown

Reaction score
Help!! I sent my cancellation and it was received on Thursday. I got correspondence from blue green today (obviously sent before they received the cancellation) welcoming me and saying that if I need to cancel to telegraph them at an address that I have never seen nor did I send my original cancellation to. What should I do?! Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Help!! I sent my cancellation and it was received on Thursday. I got correspondence from blue green today (obviously sent before they received the cancellation) welcoming me and saying that if I need to cancel to telegraph them at an address that I have never seen nor did I send my original cancellation to. What should I do?! Thanks!

You should go by the rescinding instructions in your packet - this is just another ploy to delay you.

MissusBrown

Reaction score
Ok. I followed the directions in my original contract. So I should be fine?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned