• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I know you all know but the benefit of timesharing

Joe33426

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
This trip is a mix of both Wyndham and RCI reservations. In addition to our 1.3M Wyndham points we own several weeks at the Vacation Village resort Grandview at Las Vegas that give us RCI points too.

3/6-8 - Wyndham Emerald Grand, Destin, Florida

……..

6/18-20 - Wyndham Lake Marion, Santee, South Carolina

I could have and should have booked us more than one week at the same resort sooner in our trip. Lesson learned. Moving every week for six weeks until we got to Lake of The Ozarks was too much. It sounded great when I was planning but wasn't so great when we were doing it.

The five RCI weeks in Texas and the week in Arkansas were booked last fall but everything else was booked 30-60 days out.

Wow Jan! This is awesome. The longest that we’ve ever been “on the road” timesharing was about 5 weeks and 7 resorts later we were exhausted. Your trip is almost 4 months long. Stay safe and happy travels!!!

patwerner1

Reaction score
Another advantage is having the leftovers when we do eat out.
It is so much nicer to reheat some items in the oven (when available) over using a microwave - and using real dishes/silverware

Frankly I always liked not having daily service (vs hotels) - but with covid changes where some hotels only do service upon request now as well :)

skimeup

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn at the Opera, Grand;view for RCI points - 196000 , Hyatt Carmel, Hyatt Sedona
20 years ago a friend introduced me to the concept of timesharing and warned me never to pay retail. I am an opera nut and purchased a week at Inn at the Opera in San Francisco. I have a one bedroom two bath across the street from the opera house, where the living area can be shut off into a bedroom. I literally can go home at intermission with lots of time to spare (if I forget my binoculars or some such). I can easily share the costs with friends and I love the (included) real brunch and the ability to reheat things in the microwave, especially when travelling by myself. That led to more purchases and I love that I can go to opera and festivals in many cities for less than a hotel room or in a far nicer place for the same price. With my Hyatt week, I am able to trade into very nice upscale timeshares - as I've gotten older, sitting at a beachfront for awhile has become more appealing. II works much better when you own something upscale. I have dumped a few along the way, as airbnb has made scheduling easier and often far cheaper. My kids are whizzes at finding great airbnbs or vrbos. They are all at income levels where they can spring for what they want but I'm on a retired teacher salary so the ts makes it possible for me to pursue the music I like. (Love the senior rush tickets!)

I loved my years of Royal Holiday but they changed contracts in the cities I love. I'm looking forward now to some trades into Mexican beachfront properties. Looking forward to staying places that have interesting day tours and good beaches. Hoping some RCI points will do that for me!

chaparrusa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vacation village at bonaventure , sheraton vistana orlando ,
THERE ARE TWO MOMENTS OF HAPPINESS ABOUT TIMESHARE
WHEN YOU BUY ONE AND WHEN YOU GET RID OFF THAT ONE

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
THERE ARE TWO MOMENTS OF HAPPINESS ABOUT TIMESHARE
WHEN YOU BUY ONE AND WHEN YOU GET RID OFF THAT ONE

That was and will be the exact opposite for us and for many other owners too.

Buying our first timeshare points 20 years ago was a huge step for us and it took us months to stop freaking out over what we'd done. Once we got past that we've had 19 years and some months of being extremely happy timeshare owners.

In our years of staying at the timeshares we've met a number of older owners who know they are in their last year or two of being able to travel. Some of them were on one last stay. All of them had wonderful memories of their timesharing years. Not a one of them would have considered themselves in any way happy to see it coming to an end.

We've stayed at quite a few resorts through RCI where people have been owners for years and have become vacation friends with other owners who have the same weeks. As recently as last November we had an elderly couple offer to outright give us their weeks because they thought we were a good fit with the group and enjoyed meeting and talking to us. It's really sad when they have no family who would want the weeks or who they would want to give the weeks to. We felt really bad saying that at our ages we're good with what we have and it would be better if the weeks went to people younger than us. To people in their late 80's or in their 90's, we at 70 and 72 aren't old yet and have many more years of traveling ahead of us. From their lips to God's ears.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I purchased my first TS as a single gal, at age 31. Bought another one and rescinded and discovered resales. By the age of 36 I got a back door deal that converted a few weeks, did an deed swap and PIC'd two weeks to get VIPP platinum with Wyndham (and got it written into the contract). Got a TS that turned into a Hilton, and purchased a resale from Hilton agent that qualified me for Elite status. Got a TS that turned into Holiday Inn Vacation Club. Got rid of 1 , still have 3 independents. Over the years I have taken on 2 more TS that were given to me at no charge.

Don't regret most of it. Since I paid not much money, I just considered it a learning curve expense.

Sandcastle in Ptown in the only real regret. They will take it back but want 3 yrs of MF and some payment to do it. May just have to do that on that one.

But I average 26 weeks of timesharing a year, between Friends, family and group trips that I organize for my friends. I know I am spoiled. But I like it that way.

Last edited:

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
Here at Newport - and right now really really appreciating timeshares.

Had a horrible experince with a hotel in Albany that was so nasty (still trying to get our money back on that one) and then in its place a lovely but quite expensive Hilton.

So we have 322k points which we typically use as one bedrooms off season. This means we can get up to about 30 days a year. 25 days this year. We are in a two bedroom right now which is more than we need but, such a glaring wonderful contrast to even the nice Hilton hotel room.

On average the units we get average in price from no more than $100 USD and no less than $100 CDN. (dividing out our MF)

All of which is to say that I am so very happy that Timesharing is essentially inflation proof because we are staying better and roomier than pretty much anyone paying for a room in a hotel tonight.

just an example

View attachment 55300
It's awesome someone posting something positive. We are currently in a 1 bedroom Oceanfront room for about $70 a night. We did spend a lot of money on our timeshare, but feel like we have gotten it back plus more.

jpsmit

TUG Member
Reaction score
This trip is a mix of both Wyndham and RCI reservations. In addition to our 1.3M Wyndham points we own several weeks at the Vacation Village resort Grandview at Las Vegas that give us RCI points too.

I could have and should have booked us more than one week at the same resort sooner in our trip. Lesson learned. Moving every week for six weeks until we got to Lake of The Ozarks was too much. It sounded great when I was planning but wasn't so great when we were doing it.

The five RCI weeks in Texas and the week in Arkansas were booked last fall but everything else was booked 30-60 days out.

that is absolutely amazing! well done and doubly so for doing them (mostly) 30-60 days out. I also appreciate your comments about more than one week at one place. I used to be a total road warrior when it came to holidays (bathrooms?! bathrooms are for wussies - you can hold it till the next state. :p ) Lately (the last decade or so) we have much preferred to stay put and explore. This in part because of the wonderfulness of TS. (please consider posting a bit of a travelog for the rest of us)

Interestingly while TS has spoiled us for regular hotels, a few years ago we walked the Camino de Santiago which spoiled us for just going somwehere and lying on a beach - so from both ends our habits have changed.

jpsmit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased my first TS as a single gal, at age 31. Bought another one and rescinded and discovered resales. By the age of 36 I got a back door deal that converted a few weeks, did an deed swap and PIC'd two weeks to get VIPP platinum with Wyndham (and got it written into the contract). Got a TS that turned into a Hilton, and urchased a resale from Hilton agent that qualified me for Elite status. Got a TS that turned into Holiday Inn Vacation Club. Got rid of 1 , still have 3 independents. Over the years I have taken on 2 more TS that were given to me at no charge.

Don't regret most of it. Since I paid not much money, I just considered it a learning curve expense.

Sandcastle in Ptown in the only real regret. They will take it back but want 3 yrs of MF and some payment to do it. May just have to do that on that one.

But I average 26 weeks of timesharing a year, between Friends, family and group trips that I organize for my friends. I know I am spoiled. But I like it that way.

Don't even understand all that TS sleight of hand but anyone who is averaging 26 weeks a year is a complete hero in my books - well done!

jpsmit

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's awesome someone posting something positive. We are currently in a 1 bedroom Oceanfront room for about $70 a night. We did spend a lot of money on our timeshare, but feel like we have gotten it back plus more.

Thanks! I think sometimes we get caught up in the tackiness of the industry, especially when perhaps the most important function of this entire forum has evolved to helping people avoid being taken advantage of. We first considered TS when DVC points were about $50 each - we probably should have gone for it then but, it was too big a stretch even at that price. We joined TUG in 2007 (when South African TS's were all the rage) and started renting about that time. Through which we connected with another member who offered us a couple of Wyndham Contracts in 2019. We got 6 months of use of our own TS before the world shut down and have been pushing stuff forward ever since.

This past April was our first holiday out of country since Feb 2020 (Feb 2020 was Star Island) April 2022 was Hilton head - Coral Sands. Now Newport Onshore, October is Club Wyndham Royal Vista Ft Lauderdale and then our normal 2 weeks at Bonnet Creek in Orlando.

We managed to get ours cheap but, I have also learned the hard way that letting go and enjoying is the way to go - this doesn't come naturally - my theme song is most often "My Way" - Regrets I have a lot - but then again too many to mention." :D

I remember years ago there was a conversation on this very forum about the economics of Timesharing. How do you average it was the question. One (wise) person came on and said, simple, 'it costs a lot the first year' and much less each year after. I appreciate this attitude.

It still feels a little embarrasing to say we are timeshare owners to friends who aren't - because of the reputation of the industry - but, when we send a pic of the view from the balcony taken while sitting on said balcony with an adult beverage and when we walk out of said timeshare and stroll a few yards to the closest restaurant and when we make a coffee and breakfast in the kitchen and plunk down on the couch as my spouse is still dozing in bed and especially when I drive out of the parking lot to come home and realize that it has been paid for by the 'vacation layaway' I am a very happy puppy!

PS where are you staying?

1653233025024.png

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We just got back from a 2.5 weeks of a timeshare Road Trip. First day drive from Home to Reno NV. RON. Next day drive from Reno to St George UT. Spend 1 week. Tour Bryce Canyon, Zion, Desert Garden, etc. Spend day driving from St George to Santa Fe NM. Went Northern Route on small Roads in UT, AZ, and NM. Spent 1 week in Santa Fe. Spent a lot of time walking around Santa Fe visiting the stores, restaurants, churches, and museums. Did a Day Trip to Taos and a day trip to Bernalillo to visit an Ancient Pueblo. Drove to St George. Took a more southern route. Visited the Navajo Bridge. RON. Drive to Reno. Spent 2 nights. Drove home today. Almost 4,000 miles. Averaged just over 20 MPG in a 2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Pickup with an big 8 cylinder engine.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
We just got back from a 2.5 weeks of a timeshare Road Trip. First day drive from Home to Reno NV. RON. Next day drive from Reno to St George UT. Spend 1 week. Tour Bryce Canyon, Zion, Desert Garden, etc. Spend day driving from St George to Santa Fe NM. Went Northern Route on small Roads in UT, AZ, and NM. Spent 1 week in Santa Fe. Spent a lot of time walking around Santa Fe visiting the stores, restaurants, churches, and museums. Did a Day Trip to Taos and a day trip to Bernalillo to visit an Ancient Pueblo. Drove to St George. Took a more southern route. Visited the Navajo Bridge. RON. Drive to Reno. Spent 2 nights. Drove home today. Almost 4,000 miles. Averaged just over 20 MPG in a 2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Pickup with an big 8 cylinder engine.
What a wonderful itinerary! I’d love to do it some day.

But what does RON stand for? It’s too early in the morning, I can’t figure it out! :oops:

everdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Destin
After doing some research and reading up, about 8 years ago I bought an annual timeshare week in Destin for $50. Had no idea if this was the worst idea ever - had never even been to the place I had bought at! Luckily we loved it and I now own 5 annual weeks. Technically I could deposit and exchange but me and the kids love our place - the staff know the kids names, it's just like a second home.

People always asking "how do you go to the beach so often?" - well I promise you my maintenance fees are probably less (and I know it is less now) for 5 units than one week in a nice hotel in the panhandle. And ten times less stressful. It has been life changing.

jpsmit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great stories all, thanks! Let me expand the conversation a bit - could you tell me how you spend you days? especially on the longer journies.

Our home resort is Bonnet Creek, partly because it is Mrs JP's favourite resort and partly because of its proximity to the mouse. That said as we ease into retirement and feel less need to spend crazy money at Disney. I start to wonder how to fill days. Not a big shopper and don't need more stuff even if I did. I am only good for so much (not much) lie by the pool time. We used to live in Orlando so have seen the sights

what next?

r4rab

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA Margaritaville(USVI)

We're slated to go to Taos (and will tour surrounding area) for a week in about a month but have some concerns about the fires & air quality. How were things in the Santa Fe, Taos areas with regards to smoke, fire, etc.? TIA

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I start to wonder how to fill days.
I find that vacation is a good time to catch up on some pleasure reading---usually in lovely environments. Being away from home means not having the thought in the back of my mind that I should be "doing something" around the house. So, instead, I can focus on enjoying a good book. Being on vacation means I can enjoy that book on the beach, or a deck overlooking the mountains, instead of in my living room.

Catira

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought our first timeshare to be able to travel and stay in bigger accommodations. This also forced us to think ahead and plan at least one week of vacation. Otherwise DH would continue to work non stop. When children were younger we greatly appreciated the space and of course having a kitchen for quick meals as well as a washer/dryer.
Now that our kiddos are older, we still enjoy family time. They get their own room and we of course have ours. If they want to sleep in that’s fine as DH is an early riser. A big benefit is the ability to invite family members along and get to explore different places.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
We're slated to go to Taos (and will tour surrounding area) for a week in about a month but have some concerns about the fires & air quality. How were things in the Santa Fe, Taos areas with regards to smoke, fire, etc.? TIA

We did not have problem with smoke. When we were deciding between Taos and Santa Fe we decided there was more to do in Santa Fe than Taos. And Taos could be done in a day trip.

WyndhamBarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see four yellow circles just south of Santa Fe on this air quality map right now. Nothing but green near Taos.

https://www.iqair.com/air-quality-map/usa/new-mexico/santa-fe

(I use this site a lot during California wildfires)

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona
Great stories all, thanks! Let me expand the conversation a bit - could you tell me how you spend you days? especially on the longer journies.

Our home resort is Bonnet Creek, partly because it is Mrs JP's favourite resort and partly because of its proximity to the mouse. That said as we ease into retirement and feel less need to spend crazy money at Disney. I start to wonder how to fill days. Not a big shopper and don't need more stuff even if I did. I am only good for so much (not much) lie by the pool time. We used to live in Orlando so have seen the sights

what next?

We purchased Club Wyndham Sedona, to pair with the local film and wine festivals. We also like the jeep tours there, the art galleries, and proximity to national parks.

For Hilton, we only get 4 weeknights at a time, but hope to pair it with conventions and concerts in Las Vegas, or on a return flight back. We're also mixing it into 2 stop vacations, such as Charleston, SC, after meeting family in Savannah, GA. It is not meant to be as relaxing, but a nice stop a part of a larger trip.

I may do a couple presentations in the near future, outside Wyndham and Hilton, once we're on the ground. Might be funny to pretend we just purchased 2 timeshares, full retail, because we haven't done well under pressure.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Visit Museums, historical sites, Jewelry Stores, try different foods, drive the country side, local Farmer Markets, Art Festivals.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
5/13-30 - Wyndham Branson at The Meadows, Missouri
We must have crossed paths at Branson at the Meadows. We were there from 5/22 - 5/25. The weather was much cooler than expected. We went to the Variety show Monday night .. a pleasant surprise at how many top performers come out to basically advertize their shows .. a worthwhile event to see a cross section of entertainment.

Now we’re in Austin .. stopped into Rainey street last night and visited a ‘Wierd Museum’ with mummies, a frozen creature and lots of other unusual things in the ‘dirty’ section of 6th street. Next week will be at La Cassada San Antonio.

We do breakfasts in the room and I always grill out when the resort has a grill. Other in room meals too.

Bob

jpsmit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great ideas - thanks and keep them coming

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We currently own in 4 systems. Started with one about 32 years ago when we were newly married a few years before with a 6 year old from wife's first marriage and then we had our son. After staying in a hotel room a few times we decided to buy a timeshare. As I had been single before this I owned a house already and had savings and investments. My wife also had a house which we combined the two houses, bought a new house and had the funds to pay in full for the timeshare with no payments.
Started traveling as a family and loved trading into new places. Both of us gained more vacation time at work, bought another timeshare (this time fixed week,2 bedroom. More travel,more vacation time,more family time and chance for kids to see the USA from coast to coast.
During the next 10 years added 2 more timeshares off secondary market,all paid in full. Much more travel and most meals ate in our units. Planning of everything became easier,several family reunions,trips to see Disneyland and Disneyworld. Tying cruise stays to weeks before or after cruises, days here and there,bonus time, booked guests for weddings,joint family vacations with other family members ownin timeshares also. Big family bbq's at different resorts.
Here we are 30+ years later doing Europe trips,enjoying retirement, kids sometimes book resorts for ski trips, we've given trips as wedding gifts, still using our time,trading,etc. Saves money from eating out all the time when traveling,convenience of laundry in most units,refreshing pools, travels with Grandaughter,kids sometimes.
Timeshares have helped us have a wonderful life while seeing and affording seeing the world,visiting and sharing with people we love and all on grocery industry wages/pensions. Couldn't have afforded our life's any other way and looking back would have carbon copied the way we did it.
Bart