• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I just won DSV on Ebay!! Help!

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Hi Tuggers,

As many of you know I have been shopping for a Marriott for a few years. I have previously lost a Marriott Grande Vista and Marriott Shadow Ridge to ROFR.

I finally got up the courage to try again. I just won this auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200282596507&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123

I can't tell if is it Marriott Desert Springs Villas I or II.

Looks like a Gold Week, Annual usage, 2 bedroom lock-off Floats 22-27 & 36-49.

$2026 final bid + $395 closing, $798 Maint fee. + $25 resort fee...

Does this seem like I did good?

Am I too late to try to ask the owner to reserve a Thanksgiving 2009 week?

Thanks for any advice!!

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Congrats and welcome to the 'family'

If it is DS II, you will need to add $99 ROFR fee
If DS I - there is nor ROFR.

Your MF seems low - but it probably doesn't include CA property taxes.....

I am a happy Marriott owner - I originally had 4 developer weeks - sold two but just purchasd my first resale Platinum week.
I hope u have many years of ownership - congrats again.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
$798 Maint fee
That's the 2008 MF for DSV II. In CA, property tax is billed separately directly to owners by the taxing jurisdiction.

DSV I MF for 2008 is over $900.

You should be careful about the closing. You shouldn't pay that MF, since it's for 2008 and you (presumably) won't have access to the 2008 week. Only pay MF if its for 2009 and you have access to the 2009 week. Make sure the closing company gets it right! You don't want to pay that fee, find out it went to the seller and then still be responsible for paying the 2009 fee!

...and congratulations!! :D

Last edited:

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Quimby

That is a great price...The range prior to all this financial mess was around $7-$9K. Its also a nice time to go to the desert. Great weather and not a lot of people. Although I own in the platinum season my favorite time of year there is May/June...You should definately plan on going there at least a few times.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
....Its also a nice time to go to the desert. Great weather and not a lot of people....

OMG - We just got back from the desert (Phoenix) and the weather was FANTASTIC!

To the OP - CONGRATS!! :clap:

Terry :D

Last edited:

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Quimby

That is a great price...The range prior to all this financial mess was around $7-$9K. Its also a nice time to go to the desert. Great weather and not a lot of people. Although I own in the platinum season my favorite time of year there is May/June...You should definately plan on going there at least a few times.

Hi Chris,

$7-$9k resale or developer price?

I went to DSV II for the first time April 2008 and loved it!!

Now that it seems to be DSV II I am worried about ROFR..urgh...

Do you think I am too late to try to ask the owner to reserve a Thanksgiving 2009 week?

Thanks again!

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Hi Chris,

$7-$9k resale or developer price?

I went to DSV II for the first time April 2008 and loved it!!

Now that it seems to be DSV II I am worried about ROFR..urgh...

Do you think I am too late to try to ask the owner to reserve a Thanksgiving 2009 week?

Thanks again!
Resale.....

You can always ask for the seller to call and reserve - have a list of 3 or 4 choices of check-in dates/weeks.
When DH and I were staying at Four Seasons Aviara in November, we drove over the San Bernadinos into Palm Springs - went to the JW Marriott Desert Springs and had lunch by the pool.
It is a really nice property - I have stayed at Shadow Ridge and Westin Mission Hills - looking forward to staying there one day.
The weather was lovely....I think you have some really nice weeks with that gold ownership.

Last edited:

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Thanks for the advise on the due diligence.

I requested a copy of the deed and tried to verify it with Marriott. Turns out the owner owned 2 weeks and there was some confusion about what phase and season mine was.

Now I am being told it is Marriott Desert Springs Villas I Gold season, 22-27, 42-49.

The good news being it is Phase I but the advertised Maintenance fees were $798 per year and now it is $916+/year !!

The timesahre closing co. has ordering an Estoppel to verify everything before we proceed further.

What is an Estoppel and what will the Estoppel (?) show that a deed doesn't ?

Can we use the JW spa facilities if we aren't booked at the DSV? Like day use?

Thanks again Tuggers!!

TSResalez

Reaction score
Just saw great orlando prices on Ebay like the DSV you obtained! A GV for less than 10k and a sabal palms for less than 7k! Hope everybody is snatching up the cheap ones.

Does anyone know if Marriott is still exercising the ROFR at all these days? I'm looking at a Cypress harbour and a sabal palms unit on ebay.

Thanks to all!:whoopie:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears that Marriott is not exercising their ROFR much at all if any. Of course they will if the property is a sold out resort and a buyer is waiting.

Terry

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dsv Ii

So you are the one that outbid me. Oh well I found one better later on.
your m/fees are actually $1003 per year and it is a Villas II great deal though

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Update:
Because the Phase I maint. fees were so mcuh higher, and the auction stated it was $798, the seller compromised and sold me a DSV Phase II at the auction price. I preferred the lower main. fees at Phase II vs. the bigger units at Phase I.

I faxed thourgh the signed purchase agreement on 12/18/08.

The deed recorded with Riverside Co. 1/23/09, so hoepfully we should be closing with Marriott in the next few weeks.

Up to now I have been happy with SLTravel and Timeshare Freedom Closing.
I will update when we close.

Garnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa 2,31 MNCV 52, MSR 52, MDSV2, FSA
Congrats! Great price. I was lucky and got one at DSVII end of Nov or early Dec at $2500. (Gold or white which I still think was a great price.) Passed ROFR. Seller was able to book week before Thanksgiving. Waiting for Marriott to finalize. Can I ask at what price and when Marriott ROFD'd the Shadow Ridge week?

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Congrats! Great price. I was lucky and got one at DSVII end of Nov or early Dec at $2500. (Gold or white which I still think was a great price.) Passed ROFR. Seller was able to book week before Thanksgiving. Waiting for Marriott to finalize. Can I ask at what price and when Marriott ROFD'd the Shadow Ridge week?

Mine is also DSV II Gold/White, sale price at $2000 plus closing and 2009 maint. fees.

Here is a database with ROFR, you should add your sale too

http://dioxide45.tripod.com/cgi-bin/rofr.cgi