• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Cocoa Beach
last week I went on vacation and attending the tour. My mother who was with me owns in Aruba and its a set week and very difficult to transfer to anyone else who may want to use it. She was impressed enough with the presentation and facts that I purchased one. I travel on one 2 week vacation yearly - usually in different places which the Interval should come in handy for. I also got o Orlando once a year for my daughters cheer comps and can transfer that week to Orlando.

What are the pros and cons about this company? I was told I had 30 days to cancel... is this untrue?

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind immediately. Westgate is the worst company in the industry. Whatever you paid for it it will be worthless (or even worth less than nothing) on resale. I do not believe you have 30 days so verify what the period is. Follow the instructions given if you can find them. Westgate is known to hide the instructions on a cd in a hidden pocket. Orlando timeshares are routinely given away here so if that is what you want you can get it free.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely agree: Rescind ASAP! We don't call them Wastegate for nothing. They lie, strip all benefits from resales and here's an example. YOU DO NOT HAVE 30 DAYS to rescind. Florida law is 10 days. After 10 days from the day you sign the contract, you OWN IT, and any attempt by you to terminate the contract (BUT, but they SAID I have 30 days will be met by them showing you where in the contract it says 10 days. They are also famous for hiding rescission information and even their address- It's the one in Ocoee, FL.

There are multiple threads here on TUG about rescinding Westgate- including sample letters. It's easy, but must be done in time. After that's done, we'll be happy to guide you to a good property that will give you the flexibility to go where you want, and create great memories.

Welcome to TUG!

Jim

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Rescind TODAY. You have thousands of dollars at stake.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Cocoa Beach
ALSO - i wanted to add the sale was 10,000 in case anyone needed that information. And $600 every two years for fees. $150.00 to go to a sister property for a week and $209.00 for using interval

Last edited:

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Include in the letter that 'promotional materials to be returned under separate cover', then send their junk back by cheapest means. Keep the postal receipt in case they try to charge you.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
Victoria Skelly - Congratulations on saving yourself thousands of dollars. We here on TUG are not "anti-timeshare" but we are advocates of doing time-sharing right and buying from the developer is almost always a wrong!

Join TUG for $15 per year and be ready to read and learn about all the different options you have in front of you!

We promise to not hard sell you on anything except rescinding your developer purchase!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Owning a timeshare isn’t a bad thing, paying full price is. Congrats on rescinding. Pick up a unit in a better program and use interval getaways for your Orlando weeks for a few hundred bucks for your daughters cheer competitions.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also got o Orlando once a year for my daughters cheer comps and can transfer that week to Orlando.

Try renting in Orlando first. There are many cheap rentals available year-round there. Just check TUG's Last Minute Rental section. There you will find a number of people wanting to rent out their TSs for $800/week or less. In most cases, that is cheaper than the MFs. You can also advertise there for free that you are wanting to rent something there for $800/week or less as long as the check-in date is no longer than 45 days away.

Renting also gives you the opportunity to "try before you buy". Then you can see if owning a TS is right for you.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I agree with other TUG members, rescind. you mentioned your mother owns in Aruba so you bought in Cocoa Beach? Is this Cocoa Beach Florida? Or is there a Cocoa Beach in Aruba?
I haven’t been to Aruba so not sure, if they have a Cocoa Beach?
If a salesman told you you could trade into Aruba using Cocoa Beach Florida that is a lie.
You might be able to get a lower accommodation in Aruba, but like I said rescind and rent for a while.
Silentg

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
last week I went on vacation and attending the tour. My mother who was with me owns in Aruba and its a set week and very difficult to transfer to anyone else who may want to use it. She was impressed enough with the presentation and facts that I purchased one. I travel on one 2 week vacation yearly - usually in different places which the Interval should come in handy for. I also got o Orlando once a year for my daughters cheer comps and can transfer that week to Orlando.

What are the pros and cons about this company? I was told I had 30 days to cancel... is this untrue?

I am hoping for your sake that you are rescinding within the legally allowed time frame. I am worried that you may already be too late.

Can you tell us what day you purchased your Wastegate Timeshare?

You definitely DO NOT have 30 days in which to cancel your purchase!

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
After the letter has been mailed, please come back and tell us what resort your Mother owns. Perhaps we can help with that resort. She may be able to trade it for other locations, or it may be time to dispose of it.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Just wanted to add to send the letter certified with return receipt so you can prove you sent it in time.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Cocoa Beach
I have the letter which I am sending today to the 2801 Old Winter Garden Rd. - even though that wasn't the address on my paper work. I believe someone said they dont put the actual corp address on paper work? I purchased on 8/1

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Cocoa Beach
I purchased at cocoa beach Florida. What he said is I can use the westgate facilities at any westgate for 150.00 and go through II to get a discounted rate if I wanted to go to Aruba or say, Hawaii - of 209.00 I have the unit every other year whenever I want in the value weeks. I can go to any Westgate and get the 150.00 rate. I travel. A LOT. and always somewhere different so this made sense at the time....

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased at cocoa beach Florida. What he said is I can use the westgate facilities at any westgate for 150.00 and go through II to get a discounted rate if I wanted to go to Aruba or say, Hawaii - of 209.00 I have the unit every other year whenever I want in the value weeks. I can go to any Westgate and get the 150.00 rate. I travel. A LOT. and always somewhere different so this made sense at the time....
Lies. ALL Lies! Oh, there are discounted 'Getaways', but DO NOT EXPECT Hawaii, or Aruba for $209! Those deeply discounted units are off season or distressed places. Think ski resorts in mud season, resorts under reconstruction or refurbishment, or units with a view of the parking lot or the dumpsters. There may be $150 internal exchanges at Wastegate on units within 30 or 45 days of move-in, but do not expect to book prime weeks at top resorts. Yes, sales weasels don't tell the WHOLE truth. There is a kernel of it there but nobody can get what they promise.

Get that rescission in the mail!

Jim

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

The figures you are quoting are for Exchange transactions.
That means you give up your home resort week, you pay the exchange fee, and IF THERE IS AVAILABILITY, then you'll be able to trade into another resort.
Within Westgate's exchange network, the exchange fee is $150 online.
Within Interval International, the exchange fee is $209.
Each of those costs are in addition to your home resort week.
Neither of those methods guarantees a resort in any high demand location, during a high demand time of year.

Interval International also has "Getaway weeks", (cash rentals - no exchange of your home resort week). Some areas have more supply than demand. Interval knows they will never get enough members to exchange into the low-demand areas; to offload those weeks, they will rent them out at low prices. While there are occasional gems, most are off-season weeks such as desert in summer, frozen tundra in winter. You will not see beach in summer or ski-weeks in winter on Getaways.

loringel

TUG Member
Reaction score
The eighth wonder of the world would be a timeshare representative telling the truth. After telling you the pitch and you do not jump at the wonderful offer the [BS] starts. They promise you anything to get you to buy and in all likelihood it is a big fat lie. The lowest individual on the scale of employment is timeshare sellers. They are unable to tell the truth if their life depended on it. They get highly indignant when you tell them you are not interested.

Last edited by a moderator: