• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I just found out my dog has Diabetes and tumors (long) what should I do?

rsonc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Allegro, Melia, VI Resorts
I just found out that my dog has diabetes, we noticed about a weeks ago that he was drinking a lot more (he is 11 years old we thought it was just his age) then after a few days he kept doing it so we thought it was his food and switched brands but that didn't help.

When he wet his bed (hugh amount) and then when he tried to get up his back legs gave out some and he fell down I called vet and they told me the blood work showed he has diabetes and will need 2 shots per day for the rest of his life. He also lost his sight (or at least most of it).

He is my baby and I love him very much but I am not sure what to do, he is getting older and he has tumors all over his body (under all legs, his behind, just noticed around his throat area, ect and has for a few years) and now with the blindness and the diabetes I am not sure if it would be better to treat him with the shots or to put him to sleep so he doesn't suffer.

My sisters dog was really sick and they kept him alive and he was in so much pain I don't want to do that to gizzy.

Some days he looks great but he has been tired more and every once in awhile he will get up and whimper then run in circles then lay back down.

The vet said with medicine he could live a few more years but there is nothing they can do with the tumors. My husband feels it would be better to put him to sleep before he is in too much pain but it is hard for me to let go of him.. but I will if I feel he is in pain that we cant cure.

Has anyone else had this happen to their dog and what did you do?

Thanks
Susan

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the end, the price for all that unconditional love they give us is that they break our hearts.

I can offer no advice. Our 12-year-old Cocker is now deaf and has the tumors all over too, so I know this same decision is but a matter of time.

My plan is that when it seems clear that she is spending more time not enjoying life, and is unable to provide the unconditional love that we know is her highest priority, I will take her to the vet, hold her and tell her how much she is loved while the vet administers the final shot. Hopefully her last thoughts will be of love and not pain and suffering. I will go out, sit in the car and cry my eyes out. The loneliest drive in the world is on the way home from the vet's after doing this.

Best wishes on a hard decision. Whichever you choose will be the right one.

Jim Ricks

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There is one seemingly simple question to answer - "Does the dog have any real quality of life?" Once you have your answer you will know what course of action you have to take.
I say "seemingly simple" because the question is, it's giving yourself an honest answer that's the tough part. I know, I've been there.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Time To Say Goodbye.

Has anyone else had this happen to their dog and what did you do?
Not a dog in our case, but a pet pussycat we'd had since the kids were little. The cat was reaching the end of the road -- kidney function gone, drinking water like mad to try to accomplish via dilution what the kidneys were no longer able to do via filtration. The cat was suffering & her plight made us feel bad.

We realized that it was not merciful to the cat to try to keep her going through miracles of veterinary medicine, & it wouldn't even make us feel better to see the cat keep on going a few months longer with minimal cat-life quality. We'd feel guilty if we kept her going. We'd feel guilty if we had her put to sleep.

The decision wasn't hard to reach, but it was hard to carry out. We called a local vet who makes house calls. That way we didn't have to subject the poor, sick kitty to a hated car ride ride in the hated cat-carrier.

The old cat's final resting place is out in the back yard. She's buried not far from the spot where we buried my late mother-in-law's sweet little Maltie-Poo that was overcome by too many tumors to treat.

Our pet cats & dogs truly are members of our families, & I think it is a tribute to the warmth of the human heart that we not only care for our 4-footed friends but that we grieve for them as well. For myself, I need to remember to treat the people in my life with the care & consideration I extend to the dogs & cats.

I am sorry your faithful doggie is reaching the end of the trail, & I know whatever you decide to do will be the result of a decision reached out of care & compassion.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

libraria99

Reaction score
My heart reaches out to you. My "baby" is 14 yrs. old; arthritis, sleeps 98% of the time; has tumors, but, so far, she seems still happy.

You will know when the time comes; it's ok to bawl your eyes out; remember your "baby" with love and the love he gave to you.

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're about there too. 13 y.o. pug who is on medication for an arthritic limp. Vet says he doesn't appear to be in pain so we're keeping an eye on him, lifting him up and down, etc. Such a difficult choice. We all can only do what we feel is best and hope it's the right decision. So sorry you have to face this difficult time.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
me too. 12 year old husky/shepard mix, that has just been diagnosed with Cushings Disease. We need to figure out what the underlying source for the Cushings, adrenal or pituitary.

She is still happy and active, but drinking water like there is no tomorrow.

Sandy

Last edited:

Barbeque

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Susan
First of all I am sorry for the agony for your dog.
Like others have said as long as the dog isnt too bad and has some joy let them live. But when they really suffer too bad you may have to make that decision. OUR neighbor has a lab that is really stove up and walks slow most of the time but she is always wagging her tail and seems content so they keep her going.
I have had to put a few dogs to sleep over the years one of the last was an arthritic Golden Retriever that only lived to be 18 before we had to put her to sleep. For the last 6 years of life we gave her an aspirin every day and it helped. The vet told us not to because they said it wasnt good for her stomach. Oh well it gave her 6 years

I am a huge believer in holistic medicine for both people and animals
A gentleman I work with has a young dog with a cancer like ailment. He was getting worse with the vet treatment I researched it on the web and he started giving the dog flax oil and cottage cheese. His test numbers are now normal and the vet thinks the dog is going to make it.
Here is a couple of sites you may look at
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/healthypets.htm
http://www.holisticdog.org/
google other sites for holistic treatments

Also most dog food sold at the stores and pet stores may have a lot to be desired For Instance many of the lamb and rice foods may actually have chicken, corn and wheat in them and they have additives and chemicals that no animal or person should eat. (Read the Labels)
My labrador is very allergic and we feed her the
Salmon and Sweet Potato from Pauls Pet food
http://www.paulspetfood.com/
They deliver it to our house. It is expensive but excellent nutrition for the dog. We used to feed her lamb and rice from Nutro which is also good. She also has a couple of lipomas (WHICH THE VET SAYS ARE FATTY TUMORS WE ARE WATCHING THEM BUT ARE NOT TOO CONCERNED) But I feel the Omega 3's in the Salmon are helping her.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
The vet can give you some guidance, however the decision has to be made by your family. I had a dog with bad hip dysplasia. We had meds to treat her and it kept her going for quite a while. When she let us know that her quality of life was gone, we made the heartbreaking decision to euthanize her, but we knew that it was time.

Good luck. This is a hard time for the family. My thoughts are with you.

Sue

Linda74

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am going to add a little perspective.....as I have stayed in Yale New Haven Hospital for the past 8 days with my wonderful husband who is in the end stage of metastatic cancer at far too young an age....we had a wonderful golden retriever whose hips had failed at the age of 13 two years ago. For five months he used a special leash to pull up her behind so she could go outside to do her business. Winter came and it became apparent she might slip on the ice and hurt herself and really be in pain.....someone told me better a week to early than an hour too lateI hope that our being unable to part with her did not cause her undo pain ...We had a vet come to the house and she had a very peaceful death.....I cried for weeks....but my situation now puts that loss in perspective. Be thankful for the years you have had...Every day is a blessing....

mrsstats

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Never an easy decision to make. Our last 2 dogs that we had to be put to sleep, the 1st we waited to long. Selfish, we didn't want to have to say goodbye. At the end, she was just suffering. The next year, our little guy had to go every week or so to have fluid drained from his body due to congestive heart failure. We finally decided this wasn't the way for him to live. We put him down to spare him more pain. Best of luck.

kpitch

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We had a black lab diagnosed with diabetes and gave her shots twice a day. It was an easy task, but unfortunately, it prolonged her life only about 6 months when her system shut down and we had to put her to sleep. This happened 12 years ago, and I still cry thinking about it. If our current dog were to be diagnosed with diabetes, and knowing what I know, I would do it again. There was more to our routine than just giving the shots, however, she had to be exercised and fed at the same time each day as any diabetic should. Finding a kennel that would administer the shots while we traveled was difficult, but we had her for a little longer, and when it was time, we accepted it. Insulin can be purchased at any pharmacy without a prescription and we found the cheapest to be Kmart's pharmacy. On the other hand, its a personal decision and you have to be comfortable with whatever you decide. Good luck!!

Kathy

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess it's one of those things where you'll know when it's time. I'm sure it's an extremely hard decision to make, and hope I don't have to make it for a very long time. I wish all dogs lived as long as people(especially mine). Good luck to you and your "furry" best friend.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There's no easy way.

Our vet was extremely helpful, hopefully yours will be too. Our dog went through emergency surgery to remove a malignant tumour, then had a toe removed with a malignant tumor, and finally we had to let him go. We had an extra 18 months with him and knew that eventually it would come to the decision having to be made, and we were as prepared as we could be. I'm glad we waited until it was apparent he was not enjoying life as he should, and I'm glad we didn't prolong it at that point.

Our vet was excellent, and told us that it was just time, nothing more could be done and Gizmo's quality of life would only go downhill.

It's a sacrifice we make - giving them peace while giving ourselves grief, but that's the responsibility of being a loyal friend, as they are to us.

I wish you and your family well.

Bev

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many of us have been there, and as everybody says, it's a very difficult decision, but one you will have to make eventually :bawl: . It's not a question of whether, but of when.

Is he wagging his tail? does he seem to enjoy curling up with you or being patted? Is he responsive to you? Interested in food or treats? Does he seem in pain? Base your decision on your answers to these types of questions.

ctreelmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
So sorry for your situation, it is awful. We had a retired racing greyhound for 10 years. I had always known that just as much as we "saved" her by adopting her, I wouldn't prolong her life needlessly when the time came. I felt I owed her at least that final dignity in return for the love she gave us. When the time came and I was on the phone discussing her condition with her vet, the vet shared some very wise words, "It's never too soon to put them down, but you can definitely wait too long."

rsonc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you all for you messages, it has been a hard weekend and we are still talking about what is best. I am going to see if I can go back to the vet so they can go over the shotts with me and talk to the vet more. I will check out those natural places and see what they have on those sites.

Gizzy seems happy at time and does still love to be pet but most of the time he likes to curl up on his bed and sometimes he is whimpering.. he is also not eating very much anymore. I got an extra bowl of water that I am keeping by his bed so he does not have to walk so far to get a drink since he is really thirsty. He has a hard time walking now and can only make it a house before he wants to come back home.

I am so torn since I dont want to wait until his pain is too much for him but I also dont want to do it too early.

I am very thankfull for all of your messages, it really makes you feel better in whatever decision that we decide. If we do decide that it is time I will have someone come to my house since I would not want it to happen at a vets office it would just be nicer at the house and I would wait until after the Christmas so he could have one more year.

Thanks
Susan

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Suffering In Silence.

Gizzy seems happy at time and does still love to be pet but most of the time he likes to curl up on his bed and sometimes he is whimpering.
The Chief Of Staff's mother's little Maltie-Poo sometimes whimpered, too.

Poor little thing was hurting from the tumors.

Eli Mairs

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have a dog, but I had a diabetic cat, who we gave daily injections of insulin for about six years. In the end, he developed a cancerous tumor, and was gone within a couple of weeks.

I can't speak to your dog's tumors, but the diabetes can be easily controlled with daily injections. The diabetes isn't painful - don't know about your dog's tumors.

Best wishes for you to make the right decision regarding your dog.

meloney

Reaction score
Hi friends, I just got some strange test results back and need some more help understanding part of it. My bad Cholesterol was in the normal range, which is good, but my Good Cholesterol was dangerously low. Why does that matter? Why do our bodies need this? What are some ways to help raise the good without having to take daily medication?

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Susan,

You're in my thoughts as I know from personal experience as well, that what you are going through is so challenging. I believe you've received some great advice and there's really not much more than I can add other than to know that you dear loving Gizzy will love you unconditionally, even when it comes time to do what is best. It is the last of the loving acts you can do for your companion pet and as hard as it will be to make that decision, your pet will love you for it.

Von

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Hi friends, I just got some strange test results back and need some more help understanding part of it. My bad Cholesterol was in the normal range, which is good, but my Good Cholesterol was dangerously low. Why does that matter? Why do our bodies need this? What are some ways to help raise the good without having to take daily medication?

Can this post be moved to avoid hijacking this thread?

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Hijacking Is Not All Bad. (Not Always.)

Can this post be moved to avoid hijacking this thread?
OK, to get your good cholesterol up & help keep your bad cholesterol down, eat oatmeal for breakfast every day & get regular exercise.

You don't need to knock yourself out -- a long, brisk walk every day will do.

Get a nice doggy -- you don't need some pedigreed champion, just a nice mixed-breed pooch from the animal shelter will do -- & take your doggy out for a nice walk once or twice daily. The exercise will do you both good.

And when the time comes as it inevitably will that your canine pal nears the end end of the trail, may your decision about what to do & when to do it be guided by care & concern & gratitude for the years of companionship you shared.

May you enjoy years of good health & good cheer. Merry Christmas.

Last edited:

rsonc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well we decided to give him the shots and see how he would do, if it didn't help then we would make an appointment to have him put to sleep.

I am glad we decided to at least try, he is doing really good and today he grabbed his little bear and wanted to play. It was reminding me of when he was younger.

He has lost some weight (which was good) and we are controlling what he eats now. It was not as hard as I thought giving him the shots he doesn't even look at me when I do it.

Hopefully things will continue going this way, I am glad that we tried.

Thanks again for all of your messages it really meant a lot to me and helped me thougth this.

Thanks again and Happy New Years!!

Susan

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Susan,

Glad to hear that Gizzy is interested in play. Even if only a little, that's the best news there is! Good luck with the shots. He probably doesn't understand that the shots you are giving him are keeping him alive and well, so give him a little slack and don't be too hard on yourself. I don't think you will, but I thought I should mention that.

You are doing the best you can for him and I hope that you are able to have many more happy years with him. He sounds like a great guy!

Our Xander is 2.5 year old rescue that hates every other dog, person, and animal in the world. We got him from a shelter that funnels severely abused dogs from the Southeast up to New England for rehab, adoption, etc.... We've had him for about 2 years now and he really hasn't gotten too much better with other dogs or people but he will protect US from anything, anyone, or any threat. It's sad to us that we weren't able to teach him to socialize with other pups (and boy did we try!) but we know that had we not come along, he was likely to spend his entire life in the no-kill shelter. He was afraid of everybody and liked to bite a lot!

It brings a tear or three to my eye to tell the story, but we saved his little life and he lives very well now and gives us so much joy. You are doing the same thing for your Gizzy. Giving him the best he can possibly have. That's what is important, whether it is dogs, cats, or people!

Good for you!