• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I just completed my first stay (at Ocean Oak) as a HGVC owner

GM600

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld (Orlando)
HGVC on the Boulevard (Las Vegas)
Marriott’s Grande Vista
I just completed my first stay as a HGVC owner and it was a great vacation. We stayed at Ocean Oak in Hilton Head Island for 10 nights. More on Ocean Oak in a minute, but first let me explain how this journey began.

I attended a HGVC sales presentation in June 2014 and signed a contract for 3,400 points annually at Ocean 22 for $19,990. I immediately regretted not doing research before I signed so I went online to do some research. Of course I ended up finding TUG and confirmed that I had made a big mistake. Two days after signing the contract I sent the letter to rescind my purchase and I received confirmation from Hilton a few days later.

For the next two years I stalked the TUG message boards from time to time, trying to learn about timeshares and HGVC. In May 2016 I attended another sales presentation, but this time I knew to just keep saying no. But now my wife was on board to buy into HGVC. So a few weeks later we purchased a resale 7,000 point annual unit at Seaworld for $6,500 and it still had the 2016 points available; we were able to get them included without reimbursement. About a month later and we purchased another unit, this time a 5,000 point annual unit at HGVC on the Boulevard in Las Vegas for $2,000 plus $500 for the 2016 points. Both passed ROFR and we were happy with our purchases. We now had 3.5 times as many points for less than half the price!

Now that I had 12,000 points available I needed to book some vacations! The Ocean Oak property was getting ready to be finished up so we decided that we would try and book there. I had to call each morning, since online booking wasn't available yet, but I was able to book 10 nights in a standard view room. We checked in on a Monday to stretch the points.

I completed a review of Ocean Oak. Fantastic units on a small property...see the review for more details.

After such a great trip my wife is totally on board with the timeshare vacations and we are looking at adding a Marriott to our timeshare portfolio!

I'd like to thank everyone here who have answered my questions, this truly is a great place to learn about timeshares and share information.

Last edited:

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
What a wonderful post. I am very happy that everything has worked out for you and your family. You have followed all of the recommended advise here on TUG. I am also glad that you rescinded your initial developer's full price contract because of high cost, high MGs and not enough points for proper family vacation (IMO anyway).

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... After such a great trip my wife is totally on board with the timeshare vacations and we are looking at adding a Marriott to our timeshare portfolio!

You de man! But let's not go hog-wild.
I know some peep find it easy, but I have difficulty using up my 8,500 points.
That may be becuz we have a non-HGVC TS and also do some non-TS travel.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I completed a review of Ocean Oak (but it hasn't posted yet)
I think there is a manual step by @TUGBrian, before it posts. I do agree that Ocean Oaks is truly a wonderful property that we plan to use often. It is within driving distance for us.

GM600

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld (Orlando)
HGVC on the Boulevard (Las Vegas)
Marriott’s Grande Vista
I think there is a manual step by @TUGBrian, before it posts.
It has posted now

I do agree that Ocean Oaks is truly a wonderful property that we plan to use often. It is within driving distance for us.
It's about 7 hours for us, so I'm sure we'll be back there.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I love your story. Another successful journey into timesharing because of TUG!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
great story!

its truly our dream that every timeshare owner has a similar one!