• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I have many Diamond Timeshare points-How can I rent to someone to help pay for our maintenance fees?

sb_sparky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My husband and I bought at Point and Poipu in 2004 (15,500 points) and paid sky high Maintenance Fees for the water intrusion project for several years.

We live in CA and there is very limited availability on the west coast. We always end up at the same locations available, Palm Springs, Tahoe and the desert (driving distance). There really isn't anything in OR or WA.

We have around 41,000 points (13,500 points have to be used this year). We booked our summer vacation not able to use any points and paid out of pocket for hotels because none were in our locations we are traveling too. We have been so frustrated because they don't have timeshares in any of the big major towns were are visiting! I have been searching for months on Interval with no luck and searched club select etc and nothing works there either. I have researched using them for car/hotel etc but as you know they give you only a few cents per point.

Do people rent vacations on TUGGS? I have not known how to do that. I am just trying to earn some of our money back. I know that if I have a specific vacation I can list it. The problem is I have no idea where someone would want to travel...I can book anything available through Diamond but need to know exact dates and location people are interested in. How does that work, is there a way to do this?

We are trying to afford to pay for our summer vacation and have all of our travel budget tied up in points we cannot use. Can someone please help me. We are looking to rent out to someone and will only charge our cost we paid per point. How do I go about doing this?

Thank you so much!

Tony

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to Diamond in Santa Fe NM. It's a bit of a stretch (it was for us), but we found it a pleasant vacation. Hawaii, no but driveable, and there are activities-especially if you like art.

I don't know about renting out just raw points, but your Poipu resort seems should be rentable.

Jim

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Diamond has rules about renting. But I haven't ever seen anything against renting actual points. I'm not sure how that could work, though - I don't think there is an ability to transfer points between accounts. If you can plan in advance, Diamond works great. The do have places on the coast in SoCal - but you have to make the reservations pretty early. There are a few August studio weeks right now in San Luis Obispo beach area. Good luck.

JeffDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monarch Grand Vacations
15K annual Diamond points is a lot of MFs, I feel for you! If you just want out you could try the Transitions (deed-back) program; as you probably know your points have no meaningful resale value. I looked into exchanging (and banking) through DAE and TPI but even after I reserved a week Diamond refused to confirm that reservation to the exchange company - owning points you can only trade through II, and can't bank (deposit first) that way anymore.

We are Monarch Grand owners and just spent a week at Riviera Shores because our points were expiring, and our last 4 vacations were weddings in locations with no timeshares. I'd posted an exchange ad as well as a rental ad here and didn't get even a nibble, for what that is worth. I didn't try monitoring the 'rentals wanted' section to see if I could match up somebody's wants with inventory I had access to, but after reviewing a few 'rentals wanted' ads concluded that I couldn't rent for enough to cover my exchange fees. A few other resort options for your usage, depending on availability, which resorts your ownership/club connection has access to, and where your interests lie, are Cedar Breaks in Brianhead (reasonably convenient to Zion and Bryce Canyon NPs), Dana Point/Capistrano Beach area, and Cabo Azul in Cabo, Mexico.

Those facebook pages look interesting but I'm not on Facebook yet - may just have to sign up for that!

Good luck.

sb_sparky

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to Diamond in Santa Fe NM. It's a bit of a stretch (it was for us), but we found it a pleasant vacation. Hawaii, no but driveable, and there are activities-especially if you like art.

I don't know about renting out just raw points, but your Poipu resort seems should be rentable.

Jim

Yes, Hawaii should be rentable but I dont know which week to reserve. It helps if people can give me dates. I dont want to book something, hope I can rent it and then be stuck with it. We would go every year if we didnt have to pay for airfare for 5 people. Thanks

sb_sparky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Diamond has rules about renting. But I haven't ever seen anything against renting actual points. I'm not sure how that could work, though - I don't think there is an ability to transfer points between accounts. If you can plan in advance, Diamond works great. The do have places on the coast in SoCal - but you have to make the reservations pretty early. There are a few August studio weeks right now in San Luis Obispo beach area. Good luck.

Diamond does work great usually for us. We have 3 school age children and have to travel when they are out of school, unfortunately we cannot go in the off season. I actually look almost a year ahead and it is really hard still to find new places to go in CA. We would love to go to San Francisco for example but the point value is crazy high so we end up renting a hotel unfortunately. That is why I would love to rent a week this summer to help pay for that. There are some wonderful properties available all over the US but no where that we can stay this year.

sb_sparky

TUG Member
Reaction score
15K annual Diamond points is a lot of MFs, I feel for you! If you just want out you could try the Transitions (deed-back) program; as you probably know your points have no meaningful resale value. I looked into exchanging (and banking) through DAE and TPI but even after I reserved a week Diamond refused to confirm that reservation to the exchange company - owning points you can only trade through II, and can't bank (deposit first) that way anymore.

We are Monarch Grand owners and just spent a week at Riviera Shores because our points were expiring, and our last 4 vacations were weddings in locations with no timeshares. I'd posted an exchange ad as well as a rental ad here and didn't get even a nibble, for what that is worth. I didn't try monitoring the 'rentals wanted' section to see if I could match up somebody's wants with inventory I had access to, but after reviewing a few 'rentals wanted' ads concluded that I couldn't rent for enough to cover my exchange fees. A few other resort options for your usage, depending on availability, which resorts your ownership/club connection has access to, and where your interests lie, are Cedar Breaks in Brianhead (reasonably convenient to Zion and Bryce Canyon NPs), Dana Point/Capistrano Beach area, and Cabo Azul in Cabo, Mexico.

Those facebook pages look interesting but I'm not on Facebook yet - may just have to sign up for that!

Good luck.

We do like owning our timeshare, usually, when we can find places to stay. We are not looking yet to get rid of it but thank you.

Riviera Shores is nice, we have stayed there too. I should keep looking at rentals wanted good idea.

Those sound like great resorts, we are just very limited when we can travel due to our kids being in school and not being able to fly usually. We did consider Mexico, someday we want to try that resort.

Thank you!