• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I have a heck of a time hearing through plexiglass

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I wonder if anyone else is having difficulty conducting business through the plexiglass barriers that so many businesses have erected? Last week trying to choose a pie, between a display case that had frosted over so it was difficult to see through, tables parked all in front of the displays to keep customers from getting too close to the people behind the counter, and the plexiglass barrier, for the life of me I couldn't hear what the clerk was saying. Actually I could hear her, but not clearly, and she'd run through the types of pie and then I'd try to order only to find out, no, the bananas and the macadamia nuts are not both in the same pie. Today was our first trip to a Starbucks all year. Cliff almost ended up with whipped cream in his coffee because I couldn't hear through the plexiglass, didn't realize she was going to add cream behind the counter because the cream is no longer where customers can handle it, and because I did want whipped cream on my frappuccino and I thought that was what she was asking. I've mentioned before that I've had trouble hearing when there is a lot of background noise/music, and that I've been that way since my 20s. Apparently plexiglass is going to be my new issue.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I have the same trouble evein with my hearing aids, the masks make voices muffled so that I cant understand them.

I have the apps loaded on my smart phone for most places I frequent, including SBux, makes it so much easier to order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Well, I just found something worse than plexiglass. Old ladies (I am one so I can call them that) in masks and shields working behind plexiglass. We have the only all volunteer post office in the US around the block from us. It has been closed since mid-March, just reopened earlier this month, I made my first trip there since reopening just now. All the Assistance League volunteers are 70 and older, many without very strong voices under the best of circumstances. She repeated herself twice to me and held out her hand. Well the package I was dropping off wasn't one hand worthy, so she must be reaching for my mail which I was about to shove through the slot under the counter. Turns out she wanted to put a red stamp on Cliff's ballot, and did the same for my regular stamp mail.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
You think it’s bad now? Just wait until bubble boy is ordered coupled with the plexiglass, masks and head shields
e735b346e1f4cc5873bf2e516fb0b6ce.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you always make the same order, write it down in large clear block letters and hold it up so the barista can see. Won't work for the pie, but you could call before your next trip and ask if they could post a list.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
DH wears hearing aids. The masks and plexiglass barriers make it quite difficult for him to hear what's being said. When there's background noise it's even worse.

My hearing is just fine but now with the masks and barriers I'm finding that I have to pay close attention to the person speaking and often ask them to repeat what they've said. Until this I never realized how much I watch people's mouths when they speak and that it helps me process what they're saying.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had my hearing aids adjusted because I was experience problems hearing through plexiglass .

Brett

Reaction score
speech can get muffled with masks and plexiglass - or maybe I'm getting older and hearing is bad :(

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The weirdest thing with the plexiglass in supermarkets..

Well right behind you as you stand at the cash register with plexiglass in front of you, the cashier on the next register is standing right behind you without plexiglass between you and her/him. How does that make any sense?

I don’t care about it just seems stupid if plexiglass is so important....

Not to mention you end up talking to your cashier off the side anyway and the bagger has no plexiglass! Lol! What a waste...

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
The weirdest thing with the plexiglass in supermarkets..

Well right behind you as you stand at the cash register with plexiglass in front of you, the cashier on the next register is standing right behind you without plexiglass between you and her/him. How does that make any sense?

I don’t care about it just seems stupid if plexiglass is so important....

Not to mention you end up talking to your cashier off the side anyway and the bagger has no plexiglass! Lol! What a waste...

In our area the Target cashiers have to wipe the conveyor belt after each customer. That means the next person can't unload their cart until the belt is clean. We only go to Target for a specific purchase about twice a year (in this case a dust buster), and was so glad it wasn't busy and there was just one person in front of us. I don't remember seeing any other store sanitizing the belts between customers, even back in April. I don't get that at all, and certainly feel no danger whatsoever from having my items on an unwiped belt. Just burdening the poor cashier.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
In our area the Target cashiers have to wipe the conveyor belt after each customer. That means the next person can't unload their cart until the belt is clean. We only go to Target for a specific purchase about twice a year (in this case a dust buster), and was so glad it wasn't busy and there was just one person in front of us. I don't remember seeing any other store sanitizing the belts between customers, even back in April. I don't get that at all, and certainly feel no danger whatsoever from having my items on an unwiped belt. Just burdening the poor cashier.
I was in Target yesterday. No wipe down between customers. However when I was in Sprouts the cashier definitely wiped down the entire conveyor belt. And both stores had someone sanitizing carts between uses.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I was in Target yesterday. No wipe down between customers. However when I was in Sprouts the cashier definitely wiped down the entire conveyor belt. And both stores had someone sanitizing carts between uses.

What folks on Nextdoor call, actually no I won't repeat it, let's just say it is the Vons on the other side of town. At that Vons (which is where I need to go to buy Diet Cherry Pepsi now) they have a dedicated cart wiper downer, when actually they could use more bagging help. On our side of town I've never seen anyone wiping carts, let alone one by one as you arrive to choose one.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
What folks on Nextdoor call, actually no I won't repeat it, let's just say it is the Vons on the other side of town. At that Vons (which is where I need to go to buy Diet Cherry Pepsi now) they have a dedicated cart wiper downer, when actually they could use more bagging help. On our side of town I've never seen anyone wiping carts, let alone one by one as you arrive to choose one.
I should have said that at Target someone was spraying off the carts. At Sprouts I "think" they were being sprayed, and then wiped. All I know is there were carts outside the store that hadn't been cleaned, and carts inside that had.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

I have not been able to find diet cherry coke or pepsi for months up here. Those are my favorite! What's going on?

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I have trouble picking up prescriptions at Publix where the whole counter is blocked with plexi. I get it, but I feel like I'm in that TV commercial - WHAT? I heard you the first time!

Reaction score
I agree with another poster, if possible use the grocery store's app or Instacart. For USPS, go to a location that has a kiosk. For restaurants, use their app or GrubHub/UberEats/DoorDash and eat at home. Apps work well for those hard of hearing.

TS

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I believe the people behind the glass need to realize they need to speak up. I'm not hard of hearing.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Places like banks that have long had security windows have two-way audio systems so you can hear each other. I was sure Amazon would have them, and they do: as low as $35. But I'll bet there are Chinese products that look like 2-inch discs that you could incorporate into the plexiglass for about $5 each.