• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I just need to rant. I am getting the worst customer service from Marriott. I have been calling and emailing and no one helps.

My account is still at the wrong Rewards level and should be Platinum Premiere. They are not giving me the Marriott Rewards points bonus of 5x points for Marriott purchases on my Marriott credit card.

I stayed at a Marriott hotel this week and checked out early after I had already paid in full and then I paid for a new plane ticket home. I was so frustrated with the bad customer service at Marriott that I was willing to pay them so I could get out of there.

Last year, I was super impressed with Marriott and Marriott Vacation Club. Since the merger and purchasing more points from Spain, my account and the service has gone downhill.

I wish I had stayed at Executive level and not purchased anything from Marriott during their merger and this transition time.

Also, I must say as a timeshare owner with various systems (not just Marriott), I am disappointed with the timeshare industry and the various players such as developers, resale agents and rental agencies. I can see why it has a bad reputation. I have encountered many unethical players in this industry and not just the timeshare companies.

At every step of the way, if I am not constantly monitoring what is happening, it seems like something goes wrong. This is becoming exhausting. I am almost ready to dump all my timeshares and go back to staying in hotels and taking cruises and paying retail prices on Expedia so as to avoid anything to do with timeshares or timeshare people.

Oh, and I forgot to mention how frustrating it can be to stay at a timeshare and be harassed to try to get me into a sales presentation. I usually say no and do not attend sales presentations but they keep bugging me to go. It is so uncomfortable to walk through the lobby at some of these places. It is worse if you exchange in because then they really bug you.

Sorry, my rant of the day after many troubles this week with my various timeshares.

I think new timeshare owners really need to be educated before purchasing, even on the resale market. I do not think I was a good prospect for owning timeshares after my experiences in the past year.

I am not purchasing anything else related to timeshares. The frustration is not worth it, even if there is long term cost savings and more space in the rooms. I will just use what I have and make the best of it now, rather than lose all my money.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My account is still at the wrong Rewards level and should be Platinum Premiere. They are not giving me the Marriott Rewards points bonus of 5x points for Marriott purchases on my Marriott credit card.

I stayed at a Marriott hotel this week and checked out early after I had already paid in full and then I paid for a new plane ticket home. I was so frustrated with the bad customer service at Marriott that I was willing to pay them so I could get out of there.
The 5 points per dollar doesn't come from Marriott, it comes from Chase. You only get those five points on the Marriott spend using the credit card when the statement for that month closes. Chase then posts all the points in two transactions; non Marriott spend, and Marriott spend. If you just stayed last week, the five points per dollar won't be posting yet unless you also had a statement close on the credit card account.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
The 5 points per dollar doesn't come from Marriott, it comes from Chase. You only get those five points on the Marriott spend using the credit card when the statement for that month closes. Chase then posts all the points in two transactions; non Marriott spend, and Marriott spend. If you just stayed last week, the five points per dollar won't be posting yet unless you also had a statement close on the credit card account.

No I am talking about purchases that have already posted. I am going to need to call Chase and fight with them too. I know that. It is just frustrating because it’s another Marriott-related problem on top of all the others. I have been on hold all day and the CSRs keep disconnecting me and transferring me. When I get disconnected, no one calls me back. The timeshares are great when everything is working but it is hell to fix their mistakes. I am also upset because a timeshare rental company that is supposed to be highly regarded did some unethical things and I had to go back and get evidence that they were lying. It is so frustrating to deal with the timeshare industry.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
No I am talking about purchases that have already posted. I am going to need to call Chase and fight with them too. I know that. It is just frustrating because it’s another Marriott-related problem on top of all the others. I have been on hold all day and the CSRs keep disconnecting me and transferring me. When I get disconnected, no one calls me back. The timeshares are great when everything is working but it is hell to fix their mistakes. I am also upset because a timeshare rental company that is supposed to be highly regarded did some unethical things and I had to go back and get evidence that they were lying. It is so frustrating to deal with the timeshare industry.
Chase is the only one that can fix the five points per dollar spend issue. They are the ones tracking your spending at Marriott properties and sending those points.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I agree that you should plan on making the best of it since you probably have a significant investment made at this point. The merger has definitely complicated things and some of your issues will probably be resolved with time.

I don't have status with any program but if I did it would definitely be frustrated with having to monitor things instead of them being able to do things right the first time. We used to own Marriott, although we don't at the moment and I have to admit that part of the reason that we parted ways is the way that we were treated as resale owners. I'm sure that we will probably buy back in at some point but the attitude of the sales staff made it pretty easy to walk away. There will always be some unsavory characters in timeshare sales. I think that it is the nature of the beast, so it is best to avoid them at all costs. No presentations for us any more. We've never been hounded to attend presentations though - I guess my RBF must be just enough to keep them away, lol. I do unplug the phones in the room and I can walk through a lobby without making any eye contact, so those are my other two tips to offer.

With timesharing in general, and resale specifically, I think it's best to lower your expectations bar. There will always be people above you in the pecking order. When we exchange in, I always expect a horrible room placement and so far we have had good to great placements. But my worst timeshare stay has still exceeded most of my vacation rental stays. (OK - the Yosemite house blew everything else out of the water - but at $650/night it should have). I am done with hotels for the most part and feel pretty annoyed when I have to stay at one, so I think that timesharing is ultimately a good concept. Nothing in life is perfect though - sometimes you have to take a deep breath and get though those times.

Hopefully you'll feel better after venting. Hang in there.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshares can be a real pain. Whether or not they are worth it depends on the person. I exited the Marriott system because their customer service had gone to pieces, years ago.

The whole timeshare universe is based on selling, not on support after the sale. The worst part of it, is that the timeshare concept keeps getting stretched and stretched beyond it's original base. The more it gets stretched, the less owner friendly it becomes. . . .

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
To get the 5 or 6 points for Marriott Purchases from Chase I think you need to bill all charges to your room. If you just pay in bar or dining hall you more than likely won’t get the bonus points.

I’m the opposite after TS I hate hotels.

I will agree TS and people around them are pretty unethical. But if you can put that aside the product is pretty good.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Finally I reached a Marriott CSR who knows something. He said it is a technical glitch and that many people who received the upgrade email on Tuesday have not been upgraded. However, my account should have been upgraded correctly during the merger but then I felt better once I got the email stating I was finally upgraded. I feel better even if my probems are not fixed because at least I know what is going on now. It is just frustrating to spend so much time and money on a product and not get the expected service and benefits. This is not just a Marriott problem which is why I originally posted this rant in the TUG Lounge.

So now I can go onto finding out what is wrong with my Chase credit cards. They were working fine until a month ago or so.

This merger is really going to hurt Marriott’s reputation. It is very poorly executed.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Dude, I hear your pain... It can be frustrating to deal with clueless CSR's.
But I have found that "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

And yes, timeshare systems can be maddening, beset by endless rules.
Their computer systems are coded by 8th graders, always a step behind.
It's simply not always peaches + cream, and mistakes will be made.
I think you'll be less stressed about it if you accept this grim reality.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
All companies treat resale buyers like second-class citizens. It's been our way of getting out of some sales presentations. Vistana (was at Westin Mission Hills) told us it would be over $1 million to convert our SBP weeks to Staroptions. We LOOK like we don't have that kind of money, and we don't, so they characterized us correctly, but do you think they would have said that, if we owned 10 weeks with Vistana that we bought retail? No way. They treated us like resale buyers.

We recently stayed via RCI Points at Kahana Beach, managed by Soleil Management, and I love Hono Koa, also managed by Soleil, and we only bought resale. When they ask us on a sales presentation, we know they don't want us, so Rick says, "We bought our Hono Koa resale." They don't even try. Soleil is actually the worst. When they found out in 2005 that we bought Gardens at West Maui resale, after inviting us to a timeshare presentation at Sands of Kahana, we were ignored. Rick went up to the counter at SOK to tell them our name hadn't been called, we found out they intentionally didn't call our name. They gave us the gift and told us to leave. A salesperson finally took us up to see a unit at SOK because we insisted on at least seeing a 2 bedroom. Then I bought one of them for less than $1,000 on ebay with useage included.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dude, I hear your pain... It can be frustrating to deal with clueless CSR's.
But I have found that "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

And yes, timeshare systems can be maddening, beset by endless rules.
Their computer systems are coded by 8th graders, always a step behind.
It's simply not always peaches + cream, and mistakes will be made.
I think you'll be less stressed about it if you accept this grim reality.

Yes I agree with you. For our trip to Hawaii at the end of the month, we are staying at Marriott Ko Olina and Disney’s Aulani. I have already lowered my expectations. If I can see a glimpse of the ocean from my ocean view units, I will be happy. If the room is clean, I will be happy. If anything goes right, I will celebrate it. LOL

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To get the 5 or 6 points for Marriott Purchases from Chase I think you need to bill all charges to your room. If you just pay in bar or dining hall you more than likely won’t get the bonus points.

I’m the opposite after TS I hate hotels.

I will agree TS and people around them are pretty unethical. But if you can put that aside the product is pretty good.

Wow, this is surprising to learn. I am surprised that where you order a product or service at a Marriott hotel would determine whether you get the rewards bonus, considering it is all charged to the Marriott credit card.

I wonder what rationale Chase will use to explain why we are not receiving the Rewards points on our Marbella purchase. Chase always has a good excuse for why we do not get Marriott Reward points.

I am so tired of all this tracking that I am ready to give up and just take what I get or do not get.

I am also ready to consolidate my credit cards and stop playing the points game. I was happy just charging everything to my United and American cards and accumulating lots of frequent flyer points.

For a long time, I did not participate in hotel reward programs. Now I remember why I quit for so long.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
TravelTime, sorry to hear of your experiences and disappointment.

Overall, we have been very happy with our Marriott timeshare and hotel experiences. Hopefully you can get past these experiences and enjoy your ownership and vacations. If not, it probably would be best to sell your Marriott timeshares, as you mentioned, and vacation another way that would enable you to enjoy your time away from day to day life. Vacation time is too valuable to be annoyed or disappointed.

I wish you the best.

Mike

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just need to rant. I am getting the worst customer service from Marriott. I have been calling and emailing and no one helps.

Last year, I was super impressed with Marriott and Marriott Vacation Club. Since the merger and purchasing more points from Spain, my account and the service has gone downhill.

I wish I had stayed at Executive level and not purchased anything from Marriott during their merger and this transition time.

Also, I must say as a timeshare owner with various systems (not just Marriott), I am disappointed with the timeshare industry and the various players such as developers, resale agents and rental agencies. I can see why it has a bad reputation. I have encountered many unethical players in this industry and not just the timeshare companies.

At every step of the way, if I am not constantly monitoring what is happening, it seems like something goes wrong. This is becoming exhausting. I am almost ready to dump all my timeshares and go back to staying in hotels and taking cruises and paying retail prices on Expedia so as to avoid anything to do with timeshares or timeshare people.

Oh, and I forgot to mention how frustrating it can be to stay at a timeshare and be harassed to try to get me into a sales presentation. I usually say no and do not attend sales presentations but they keep bugging me to go. It is so uncomfortable to walk through the lobby at some of these places. It is worse if you exchange in because then they really bug you.

Sorry, my rant of the day after many troubles this week with my various timeshares.

I think new timeshare owners really need to be educated before purchasing, even on the resale market. I do not think I was a good prospect for owning timeshares after my experiences in the past year.

I am not purchasing anything else related to timeshares. The frustration is not worth it, even if there is long term cost savings and more space in the rooms. I will just use what I have and make the best of it now, rather than lose all my money.

A merge between 2 companies is a monumental task, particularly when they are dealing with merging 650,000 owners. It is a bit like a family moving into a new neighborhood, tons of details to deal with, things that work right away, others that have issues etc. For your own sake I think it is best to approach this with humor (a glass of wine when you call them?) and the most amount of patience and possibly even delay any contact with them for anything not urgent. I hope I am right, you are going to get eventually what you are entitled to, it is just a matter of how much time and effort you want to spend on this. If your neighbor is moving, you may want to lend a hand or at least not to add any more problems on their list.

I am a new owner myself, not Marriott but i can say that Vistana and Hilton have been well above my expectations so far. This is a competitive market and even if I am not an MVC owner yet, i do not see why they would be worse then others so I assume that the service will go back to a decent level once the dust settles.

Good luck anyway, I truly hope that you will make this ownership work :)

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A merge between 2 companies is a monumental task, particularly when they are dealing with merging 650,000 owners. It is a bit like a family moving into a new neighborhood, tons of details to deal with, things that work right away, others that have issues etc. For your own sake I think it is best to approach this with humor (a glass of wine when you call them?) and the most amount of patience and possibly even delay any contact with them for anything not urgent. I hope I am right, you are going to get eventually what you are entitled to, it is just a matter of how much time and effort you want to spend on this. If your neighbor is moving, you may want to lend a hand or at least not to add any more problems on their list.

I am a new owner myself, not Marriott but i can say that Vistana and Hilton have been well above my expectations so far. This is a competitive market and even if I am not an MVC owner yet, i do not see why they would be worse then others so I assume that the service will go back to a decent level once the dust settles.

Good luck anyway, I truly hope that you will make this ownership work :)

You are right! It is helpful to get everyone’s reassurance that things will eventually go back to “normal.”

I am also a Vistana owner and now I am leaning toward hoping MVC does not integrate Vistana. I hope they do not mess it up. Vistana works well now. It is easy to use and book online. I also like that we do not need to call to cancel a reservation. MVC needs to add the cancellation functionality to their MVC website.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
You do NOT have to charge something to your room to get the 5 or 6 points from the Marriott credit card. The caveat is that it has to be MARRIOTT spend, not a third party vendor at a Marriott property. Also, you will occasionally see where a Marriott owned restaurant codes its purchases as restaurant and not Marriott. This is rare but it happened to us at the Ihilani at Ko Olina a few years ago and we only got the points given to restaurant charges. We tried to argue but it did not work because the credit card company uses the codes supplied by the vendor and this is disclosed. Having said all gthis, you should have definitely gotten the 5 or 6 point bonus for a timeshare purchase.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
The term "Stinking Thinking" comes to mind. If you tend to go at a situation with a negative attitude it tends to influence the situation to give you a negative result. Take a deep breath and be calm and talk through you situations with the reps from a I know you guys are going through a lot with the merger and all, and I really hate to call and bother you, but is there any way you could help me with XXXX.

Not always but generally people open up and try to be helpfully when you come at things in a kind approach. But you will always find some that are just miserable just end the call and try another rep. But generally Positive Thinking, Drives Positive Attitudes, and achieves Positive Results.

I checked into a Sheraton the other day in Phoenix. I had rented two rooms one for me and DW and one for my parents. When we got to hotel he was going to put his room on their card and use his MR number. But they could not pull up his number in the system. So he did put it on his card for card points but I told her to put it on my MR number for night credit. Low and behold I got Stay Credits both Rooms, and Points for both rooms and I never expected the points for the second room.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The term "Stinking Thinking" comes to mind. If you tend to go at a situation with a negative attitude it tends to influence the situation to give you a negative result. Take a deep breath and be calm and talk through you situations with the reps from a I know you guys are going through a lot with the merger and all, and I really hate to call and bother you, but is there any way you could help me with XXXX.

Not always but generally people open up and try to be helpfully when you come at things in a kind approach. But you will always find some that are just miserable just end the call and try another rep. But generally Positive Thinking, Drives Positive Attitudes, and achieves Positive Results.

I checked into a Sheraton the other day in Phoenix. I had rented two rooms one for me and DW and one for my parents. When we got to hotel he was going to put his room on their card and use his MR number. But they could not pull up his number in the system. So he did put it on his card for card points but I told her to put it on my MR number for night credit. Low and behold I got Stay Credits both Rooms, and Points for both rooms and I never expected the points for the second room.

Yes thanks for the reminder. I am going on my next trip with a positive attitude and no expectations. That way I can’t be disappointed.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Just to note that there are a few other problems with the merger not TS related.

I tried to book a reward stay at a Marriott family hotel on my iPad. I’m a SPG Silver, I think:D. Using the SPG App, Marriott App, Marriott Mobile site, Starwood Mobile site, all impossible to book. I finally used the full Marriott site and finally was able to book a room. All the other sites allowed searches and room selection but hitting the book now button resulted in zero results on any site except the full site.

I wanted to call and ask WTFO? But they system said there would be a 15 minute wait:rolleyes:.

Cheers

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to note that there are a few other problems with the merger not TS related.

I tried to book a reward stay at a Marriott family hotel on my iPad. I’m a SPG Silver, I think:D. Using the SPG App, Marriott App, Marriott Mobile site, Starwood Mobile site, all impossible to book. I finally used the full Marriott site and finally was able to book a room. All the other sites allowed searches and room selection but hitting the book now button resulted in zero results on any site except the full site.

Cheers

Yes there are many problems. Another example: I can’t log into Marriott.com using my email anymore. I can only use the Rewards number. This suddenly switched this week out of the blue. The systems integration was a month ago so I am confused why this changed a few days ago.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I bought a bundled/hybrid package from MVC a year ago, the Marriott brokered week as part of the bundle was not enrolled and my status only reflected Executive status when it should be Presidential level. It took about 2 months to resolve with many phone calls before it was finally fixed. After 3 weeks of arguing with various people, one finally said my use year would not start until 2019 and as such the week could not be enrolled. Wrong answer! Use year was to start in 2018. Finally they said if I paid the MF for 2018 they would then get it enrolled. Waited for another week for their paperwork to be sent to me to pay MF for 2018 and then another couple of weeks before the week got enrolled. So after all of these, my status was reflected as Presidential and Marriott reward status showing Platinum but the SPG side was still reflecting Gold. Then many more phone calls until one agent said they would need to unlink both accounts and then wait a few days before linking them up. We were definitely very ticked off by the whole experience.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When I bought a bundled/hybrid package from MVC a year ago, the Marriott brokered week as part of the bundle was not enrolled and my status only reflected Executive status when it should be Presidential level. It took about 2 months to resolve with many phone calls before it was finally fixed. After 3 weeks of arguing with various people, one finally said my use year would not start until 2019 and as such the week could not be enrolled. Wrong answer! Use year was to start in 2018. Finally they said if I paid the MF for 2018 they would then get it enrolled. Waited for another week for their paperwork to be sent to me to pay MF for 2018 and then another couple of weeks before the week got enrolled. So after all of these, my status was reflected as Presidential and Marriott reward status showing Platinum but the SPG side was still reflecting Gold. Then many more phone calls until one agent said they would need to unlink both accounts and then wait a few days before linking them up. We were definitely very ticked off by the whole experience.

Of all my timeshare purchases, the last two Marriott purchases were the hardest and most complicated. They both seem to have hit every possible snag one could ever imagine. The one prior to this was eventually resolved after months of headaches and lack of proper disclosure from the resale agent. They misrepresented things and withheld critical information. For example, she did not tell me the loan was not paid off. That was a huge problem not including that one owner was dead. Then MVC raised the activation fee during my transaction and was refusing to honor the activation fee in my contract. They made an exception but we missed that deadline due to the problem with the loan pay off and the dead owner was thought to be a terrorist, so that also delayed the closing as they investigated that. Then the owner’s lawyer wired the money to pay off the loan and that caused more delays because they could not find the wire. Also the owners were from a foreign country so that complicated things too. I did not know buying from a foreign owner could complicate things but it does in unusual ways.

If I did not read TUG, I would have been screwed. I knew more than the resale agent and was able to ask the escrow agent the appropriate questions so the deal would not end up costing me double. Fortunately I had a great escrow agent who bent over backwards to make sure I was protected. By the time I found out about many of the problems, I had already given them a lot of money and my rescission period had passed. I came close to losing a lot of money, if not for the knowledge I gained through TUG as well as the wonderful escrow agent.

Then I did the Marbella hybrid package direct from Marriott thinking this would be easy. Wrong. It took months to complete and close. Now I am struggling with getting everything fixed since it did not show up in my account until the day after the systems integration, even though it closed before that. Buying from Spain turned out to be complicated and time consuming since they are on a different time schedule and their day is in the middle of the night here. Also, their laws are different so that caused some hold ups. And they made promises that they could not keep so they had to get special approval to honor them. It ended up taking at least 3+ months from the time I agreed until it closed on paper. I think I was offered the package last May or June and it just closed on August 15.

The above is just a summary of the problems. I am so burnt out by 2 complicated purchases in a row. So any little problem now feels like icing on the cake. Compared to buying a timeshare, purchasing a house is quicker and smoother!

The good news out of this is it is so easy for me to say no to new timeshare purchases. I am done for a long time.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Of all my timeshare purchases, the last two Marriott purchases were the hardest and most complicated. They both seem to have hit every possible snag one could ever imagine. The one prior to this was eventually resolved after months of headaches and lack of proper disclosure from the resale agent. They misrepresented things and withheld critical information. For example, she did not tell me the loan was not paid off. That was a huge problem not including that one owner was dead. Then MVC raised the activation fee during my transaction and was refusing to honor the activation fee in my contract. They made an exception but we missed that deadline due to the problem with the loan pay off and the dead owner was thought to be a terrorist, so that also delayed the closing as they investigated that. Then the owner’s lawyer wired the money to pay off the loan and that caused more delays because they could not find the wire.

If I did not read TUG, I would have been screwed. I knew more than the resale agent and was able to ask the escrow agent the appropriate questions so the deal would not end up costing me double. Fortunately I had a great escrow agent who bent over backwards to make sure I was protected. By the time I found out about many of the problems, I had already given them a lot of money and my rescission period had passed. I came close to losing a lot of money, if not for the knowledge I gained through TUG as well as the wonderful escrow agent.

Then I did the Marbella hybrid package direct from Marriott thinking this would be easy. Wrong. It took months to complete and close. Now I am struggling with getting everything fixed since it did not show up in my account until the day after the systems integration, even though it closed before that. Buying from Spain turned out to be complicated and time consuming since they are on a different time schedule and their day is in the middle of the night here. Also, their laws are different so that caused some hold ups. And they made promises that they could not keep so they had to get special approval to honor them. It ended up taking at least 3+ months from the time I agreed until it closed on paper. I think I was offered the package last May or June and it just closed on August 15.

The above is just a summary of the problems. I am so burnt out by 2 complicated purchases in a row. So any little problem now feels like icing on the cake. Compared to buying a timeshare, purchasing a house is quicker and smoother!

The good news out of this is it is so easy for me to say no to new timeshare purchases. I am done for a long time.
Did you check your credit card statement to see how the purchase of the Spain resort showed up? I am thinking if it has "Marriott xxxx", you should get the 5X bonus. If it was named something differently like a title company, then that could be the issue.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you check your credit card statement to see how the purchase of the Spain resort showed up? I am thinking if it has "Marriott xxxx", you should get the 5X bonus. If it was named something differently like a title company, then that could be the issue.

Hmm, that is a good point based on what you and others have said about how Chase codes purchases. I certainly hope it was coded correctly. We will check and let you know. If this is the case, it would be important for people to know.

I am really frustrated with the Marriott systems. If a company like Disney or Apple did a merger and their customers got messed up like this, it would be a major headline. I do not think they should have done the systems integration without having done better pre-launch testing.

Also they need to fix all these coding bugs. It is so unfair to be promised something and then they take it away. They did this in the hotel too this week. They promised to move me to a suite and then they changed their mind and claimed no one ever made the promise. “Indian givers” as the old expression goes.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The Marbella purchase is showing up as: VSMC Sales USD Marbella. How did it show up on other people’s credit card statement? How do Marriott coded expenses normally show up on cc statements?