• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I guess I am just not going to go to Florida in April. Broken arm, broken foot after an unfortunate fall in a parking lot on Maui

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Recently, DW stumbled backwards and fell on her rump in our BR. There were no injuries, but with Parkinsons, she can't get herself up. I had to call EMS for a lift assist, as I'm not able to lift her myself. It's happened before. Luckily, no injuries.

Why did she stumble this time?
She put her hand into her make-up drawer. What she found was a 4'-foot garter snake. Seriously. Neither EMS nor I saw a snake. We thought maybe she hallucinated. An hour later, I pulled out the drawer and there it was. I dumped the drawer on the ground and took a shovel to the snake. A few days later, I spread Ortho Snake-B-Gone around the house.
OMG!
This would be terrifying. And then to be told "there is no snake" --
Glad you found it before SHE saw it again.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Update on my injuries. I am doing exercises to strengthen my arm, which is healing nicely. But my foot is still in need of more healing.

We go to Orlando 5/20-6/3. We are currently on the road to get there. Staying in Paducah, KY, at a really old, decrepit Marriott's Residence Inn. So disappointing, but hoping the bed is comfortable enough. I still cannot sleep on my side.

I still eat with my left hand, and I am right-handed. Physical Therapy is great, when you get the right PT. My PT is leaving Kaiser! She assured me she will match me with another good one. I have a few appointments with a new PT when we get back from Orlando.

We love a good road trip. My arm is good on the drive. I only take ibuprofen in the morning and at night before bed, but Tylenol PM has been helping me sleep. I only took the vicodin for about three weeks before I completely weaned off of it. I was still using it that 3rd week to sleep, but I woke up so dry, I couldn't stand the dry mouth, like I was sucking on cotton balls all night.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Update on my injuries. I am doing exercises to strengthen my arm, which is healing nicely. But my foot is still in need of more healing.

We go to Orlando 5/20-6/3. We are currently on the road to get there. Staying in Paducah, KY, at a really old, decrepit Marriott's Residence Inn. So disappointing, but hoping the bed is comfortable enough. I still cannot sleep on my side.

I still eat with my left hand, and I am right-handed. Physical Therapy is great, when you get the right PT. My PT is leaving Kaiser! She assured me she will match me with another good one. I have a few appointments with a new PT when we get back from Orlando.

We love a good road trip. My arm is good on the drive. I only take ibuprofen in the morning and at night before bed, but Tylenol PM has been helping me sleep. I only took the vicodin for about three weeks before I completely weaned off of it. I was still using it that 3rd week to sleep, but I woke up so dry, I couldn't stand the dry mouth, like I was sucking on cotton balls all night.

Take it easy as much as you can and enjoy your trip.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Take it easy as much as you can and enjoy your trip.
Thanks. I will be in a wheelchair at Disney World. My foot is not good, and the boot is horribly clumsy and clunky. I am going to be happy to be in the wheelchair, but poor Rick has to push me. My right arm is not good enough to use an EV. The PT told me not to stretch it that far forward.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It took almost a year for my foot and ankle to heal close to 100%. I don't think it can ever be 100%. As time passes, of course, it will heal much better. PT helped tremendously . I made sure I did the exercises at home too. I had to learn to go down steps and keep my foot straight again.

Happy to read you are improving and able to go on your trip. Enjoy.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Thanks for the update! I too am glad to hear you’re making progress and hope you enjoy your very-different WDW visit.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
After breaking my Ankle on Christmas Day and being in a cast and then boot for nearly 12 weeks -- I was shocked by my overall fitness decline. Just prior to my break, I had walked all over Boston and New York, easily a mile or more each time. Started Physical Therapy and could barely make walk around their main room.

It's been 5 months since the break. Asked for airport wheelchair yesterday and so glad I did. Couldn't have walked to the distant gate.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hope you have a good vacation. I totally missed this thread 'til today, wishing you a continued successful recovery

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Cindy,

I too didn't see this thread until now - am wishing you a speedy and painless recovery! I broke my ankle in three places skydiving on the fourth of july one year (third jump and I got tired, foot planted and I didn't!). I only had pain the one time I fell while trying to sit down - shock kept me pain-free when it happened, and propofol worked wonders when they set the break. Slowed me down on that year's July trip to Mazatlán, but I went! It was nice being able to say "Yes, me!" when the airlines announced boarding for people who needed more time :) I had a year of physical therapy, but it could have easily been 6 months. My doctor warned me that I'd only have about 80% functionality/mobility but I got 100% back.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I will be in a wheelchair at Disney World. My foot is not good, and the boot is horribly clumsy and clunky. I am going to be happy to be in the wheelchair, but poor Rick has to push me...
I sympathize with Rick.
We're going on a cruise to Norway's fjords this Summer. Due to DW's Parkinson's, I plan to push her around on the ship, on tours and in Amsterdam, using a lightweight folding transport-chair (a wheelchair with smaller wheels).

The next time my doc asks me if I exercise, I'll have something to say.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I sympathize with Rick.
We're going on a cruise to Norway's fjords this Summer. Due to DW's Parkinson's, I plan to push her around on the ship, on tours and in Amsterdam, using a lightweight folding transport-chair (a wheelchair with smaller wheels).

Yes, I feel terrible that he has to do that. He says it's okay, but you know it would be better if my foot would take a notion to heal quicker.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sympathize with Rick.

My husband wouldn’t lift his feet. The footrests disappeared. Everyone resorted to pulling the wheelchair backward. Then he would lose his shoes.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Yes, I feel terrible that he has to do that. He says it's okay, but you know it would be better if my foot would take a notion to heal quicker.
I also somehow missed this thread. So sorry about your fall and injuries. Sounds really painful.

Are you staying on property this time? And did you get a temporary handicapped parking thing ? I don’t know if things have changed, but when I took my mother-in-law and stayed at my other timeshare (that I ditched thanks to TUG) we rented her a scooter from Walker Mobility (with a sunshade… a lifesaver). We also brought her handicapped tag from NJ for the rental SUV. The scooter came apart so we could put it in the back of the SUV (it was a little heavy and my sister-in-law had to help). With the handicapped tag, we were able to park closer to the entrance of the parks in the handicapped spots.
Also, at that time (2015 or 2016) you could park at the resorts and get free valet parking regardless of whether or not you had a dinner reservation. This was a great option. We were able to park at the Contemporary and then take the 10 minute walk to the MK or take the elevator up to the monorail we would if course tip the valet).

I can see it’s going to be in the high 80’s this week. Wheelchairs are NOT easy in the parks….there are some inclines that people don’t realize are there (Especially at Epcot). The newer scooters are so much easier to handle. Maybe you can try one out at one of the parks to see if you could handle one. If you can’t just tell them no thanks.

If free valet parking is still allowed For handicapped, here are some tips (or even if you can pay for valet…with no dinner reservations). On Epcot days, I would park at Boardwalk or Beach Club). Easy access to back entrance of Epcot and now access to the skyliner). I avoid the main entrance of Epcot when possible.

I’m glad you’re still going. Try to make the best of it. We just returned from a beautiful week there. Weather was perfect and the crowds were low. For part of our stay, we had a standard view studio for a couple nights with a perfect view of the MK fireworks. Was lucky.

Safe travels.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will be in a wheelchair at Disney World. My foot is not good, and the boot is horribly clumsy and clunky. I am going to be happy to be in the wheelchair, but poor Rick has to push me. My right arm is not good enough to use an EV. The PT told me not to stretch it that far forward.
From the way you have described Rick, he will be up to the challenge!
When I went to Oahu this year -- with cast on leg -- my sister and best friend shared the task of pushing me around. Neither of them are big and strong like your hubby, and neither complained. Be careful with thinking you can do more than you should. You're at the point where a little more time and patience are your best medicine. But it's difficult -- when all things are a bit harder than usual.