• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I don't think I've seen a tougher rental year than this.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a few coastal CA weeks for summer that are not moving. I've been renting out my weeks, about 8-10 weeks each year for the past 12 years. This is the toughest year yet. I've listed on Redweek. I've listed on TUG and Craigslist and even on Facebook. I even listed on Vacationtimesharerentals.
My asking price is low, and I have no competition on Redweek-- there are no other July posters (unlike other years.)
I've had very poor luck. Is it the weather? Is it the oil off Santa Barbara? Is it the market?
I have a friend who is listing her June week (Great time for CA coast-- high demand) for a loss. I have another friend who just rented her July week for a loss in a private deal. I've seen some active listings that are much lower than normal (and not just on the CA coast) and I've seen some last-minute listings that defy logic. (Manhattan Club, full week, for July going for $1k.)
I don't think I'm the only one experiencing a tough rental year. What's going on?

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a few coastal CA weeks for summer that are not moving. I've been renting out my weeks, about 8-10 weeks each year for the past 12 years. This is the toughest year yet. I've listed on Redweek. I've listed on TUG and Craigslist and even on Facebook. I even listed on Vacationtimesharerentals.
My asking price is low, and I have no competition on Redweek-- there are no other July posters (unlike other years.)
I've had very poor luck. Is it the weather? Is it the oil off Santa Barbara? Is it the market?
I have a friend who is listing her June week (Great time for CA coast-- high demand) for a loss. I have another friend who just rented her July week for a loss in a private deal. I've seen some active listings that are much lower than normal (and not just on the CA coast) and I've seen some last-minute listings that defy logic. (Manhattan Club, full week, for July going for $1k.)
I don't think I'm the only one experiencing a tough rental year. What's going on?

I rent 1 or 2 reservations a year at bonnet creek through a small broker. This year not even a nibble for July 4th. Really bad year.

Gophesjo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not just rentals...

An Aquamarine Villas 1 BR just sold on Ebay for $7.50 with no closing or transfer fees. That's one block off the water with partial Ocean View. Maybe the movie San Andreas is scaring everybody off.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rent 1 or 2 reservations a year at bonnet creek through a small broker. This year not even a nibble for July 4th. Really bad year.

And, that's the week I'm seeing most difficulty with. That's the week I'm seeing Manhattan club (two separate postings) WAY undervalued.

And, I'm seeing problems with the third week of June. There are SO many prime last-minute listings.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rent out my units ever couple of years when I can't take my vacations for whatever reason. This year I rented out my Marriott Ocean Pointe with no major issues?

What do you all think may be the drag on the market?

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I recently read an article in the Wall Street Journal predicting heavy tourism in Europe this year, given the strong dollar. Could the slow rentals in the U.S. reflect a season of people instead going out of the country for vacations?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I am always hesitant to book 4th of July because so many others seem to book it with the idea of renting it out. Unless I have someone specifically ask for that week (and put a deposit down) before it is time to reserve for the following year, I usually pick something in mid July through early August.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
When I saw a trailer for the movie mentioned above I thought it was going to scare a lot of people.

The strength of the dollar has to have peeps going out of the country.

I like both those reasons for the problem but of course they may have nothing to do with it.:shrug:

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
4th of July on Saturday - takes away the 'value'

A lot of people want to travel over 4th of July because they get an 'extra' day of holiday instead of using a vacation day. Since 4th of July is on a Saturday this year it may not work as well for that for some people.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
A lot of people want to travel over 4th of July because they get an 'extra' day of holiday instead of using a vacation day. Since 4th of July is on a Saturday this year it may not work as well for that for some people.

Agreed - plus, people want to be AT their destination for the 4th of July - not traveling to or from. I knew the 4th of July was going to be an awkward rental this year.

*Hawaii rentals have been excellent.

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, it's been a weird year. I had no problem renting our February weeks in Maui, but summer weeks in Maui have been problematical (I own oceanfront at a "prime" resort). We were planning on going to Maui this summer, but got trades for several weeks in the spring, so we decided to rent our summer reservation. I've had nibbles for months, but no one follows through. (I might have to go back to Maui to use it!) Harborside @ Atlantis has always been an easy rental for summer weeks, but this year, RedWeek was swamped with units, and it took very aggressive pricing to get them rented. It was odd that people were asking to rent our Cabo timeshares for 2016 a year out - which has NEVER happened before. I don't know how to explain rentals this year? :shrug:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Hawaii has been go for me for the last few years too. I had 25 2015 weeks
Rented by October 2014 plus it's not even June and I have most of my 2016 weeks rented already too.

I have the week before the Fourth of July in the Dells that I have to rent yet
But it was a free week I just got and I'll use it myself if it doesn't rent. I only
Live a few miles from there.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had a similar experience. Last year and even first quarter of 2015, life was grand. Since mid-April, it has been a bit of a slog.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
We Are No Longer Timeshare Experts. (Not That We Ever Were.)

I don't think I've seen a tougher rental year than this.
Our former timeshare vacation concept was based on renting out our own units for more than enough to cover maintenance fees, with enough left over to pay for our own RCI Last Call & Instant Exchange timeshare reservations. It was almost like vacationing el freebo.

That worked great for a few years, roughly 2004 through 2008. Then our timeshare rental ads started getting fewer responses & it was taking longer to get renters for our units. Plus, we cut our asking rates to not much more than our maintenance fee amounts, meaning that all the effort & anxiety resulted in little gain, if any at all.

By 2009 we lost our nerve & started bailing out, giving away most of our timeshares for nothing rather than attempting to sell them for next to nothing. Today, our only timeshare is a nice Kissimmee FL 2BR triennial points unit.

So it goes.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
A lot of people are still traveling this year. How are hotel prices this year? Airbnb and others have to be cutting into timeshare rental marketshare. As the vacation market rental becomes more efficient prices will drop.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Where I work, we get a floating holiday for July 4th this year. So if we were to take the week off, we wouldn't get a "free" day out of it unless we burned our floating holiday. I prefer the floating holiday anyway, because I can take it any time in the second half of the year.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We used to get the floating day but now when a holiday lands on a Saturday we
Get the Friday off and when it lands on a Sunday we get the Monday off.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We used to get the floating day but now when a holiday lands on a Saturday we
Get the Friday off and when it lands on a Sunday we get the Monday off.

Up to this year, we got more floating holidays. We used to get one for Presidents Day, Columbus Day and Veterans Day in addition to any holidays that fell on a weekend. In 2015 we move toward a more traditional holiday calendar. The only time we will get a floating holiday is if any of our ten holidays fall on a Saturday or a Sunday. Rather bummed, I really liked floating holidays, in a good year it would work out to almost another whole week of vacation.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We used to get a week in floaters too but now only get 3 but they did give us
An extra week vacation after 20 rears of service so I'm maxed out now with
28 days vacation and 6 traditional holidays. New Years, Memorial Day, 4th of
July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I'm new at renting and it has been tough. I just traveled California from one end to the other and stayed at hotels paying thru the nose. They didn't hold a candle to our villa's. What I would have gave to be in my villa's instead. Yet everyone wants the villa's for nothing. I have 4th of july covered at Myrtle beach still open a lot cheaper than the club. They are sold out though people paid a lot more for the same villa's.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if some of the reason is airfare? Some thought fares would go down with the reduced gas prices, but I've seen a lot of complaints regarding difficulties getting good airfare. I haven't postal my rental yet, but I see I already have quite a bit of competition.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I paid my MFs a year early and booked 52 weeks out to get July 4th this year. It's a two day drive for us and my son-in-law gets Fri. off for the holiday so it works out perfectly for us. It's their anniversary on the 4th and we'll see the race track fireworks from the balcony when the race ends.

I sent them to Daytona to get married and honeymoon on an exchange through DAE nine yrs ago so it's a special place and time for them.

It should be a great time.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
A lot of people are still traveling this year. How are hotel prices this year? Airbnb and others have to be cutting into timeshare rental marketshare. As the vacation market rental becomes more efficient prices will drop.

I agree that homeaway.com and airbnb and other rental home sites seem to be affecting traditional hotel and timeshare rentals along with creating problems in residential communities not intended to be used or zoned as hotels.

I live in a condo and we are having a big problem here in Miami with some of our owners renting their condos as hotels. People are paying only $300 a night for a 3 bedroom downtown condo and are partying in the pool at 2am thinking that it's their personal backyard. :annoyed:

Our building does not allow vacation rentals let alone nightly rentals. Our city inspectors and fire department are cracking down on these illegal rentals because they aren't paying the transient hotel taxes.

And a lot of this renting is coming from people who aren't even paying their MF's on their wholly owned condo which is costing our community lots of money in legal fees. :mad: