• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I don't think I've seen a tougher rental year than this.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, it's easy to see why and how a person who rents RCI exchanges can easily undercut owners. And, I can see where there are people who get very angry about this.
I don't see the same incredulity tied into Wyndham owners who rent. Is it not having the same effect? And yes, I realize it's tied to their ownership... but that doesn't change the fact there are a lot competitive owners in a feeding frenzy over the primes--which, in turn, depletes the system quickly and feeds the problem we are discussing here.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I'm hoping my rental problem is a result of a Saturday check-in on my beach house for July 4 and not a tanking of the rental market. The last time it fell on Saturday, someone had rented it for 2 weeks so they were there the week before and week after the 4th. This year no one wants those weeks so I'm going for a long weekend myself with friends. Every other summer week rented, however. A friend of mine ended up splitting the week, Friday before the 4th to the Friday after the 4th and it rented quickly. I have a Destin, Fl rental that rented up for the whole summer but I take people wanting under 7 days there so I was not forced into the fixed Saturday check-in.

The next big issue is my St. Thomas timeshare for Dec. 19-26. No one wants that week either. I may end up trying an Ebay auction for that one. My daughter has rented 2 timeshares on there and they were bid up over maintenance fees both times.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, when I see something priced 20-30-40% (hundreds of dollars) LOWER than everyone else, I wonder WHY? Am I missing something? Quick sale? Bad unit location? Exchange?

The only TS I have left out of my many is a ski week in Dillon, CO which is now in my Son's name. In years when he can't use it I rent it out for him at the MF minus 15%. Why? To get a quick transaction and to reduce the cost of ownership in the years when he isn't using it and to avoid getting a 1099. In one word "certainty". It is that simple,

George

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping my rental problem is a result of a Saturday check-in on my beach house for July 4 and not a tanking of the rental market. The last time it fell on Saturday, someone had rented it for 2 weeks so they were there the week before and week after the 4th. This year no one wants those weeks so I'm going for a long weekend myself with friends. Every other summer week rented, however. A friend of mine ended up splitting the week, Friday before the 4th to the Friday after the 4th and it rented quickly. I have a Destin, Fl rental that rented up for the whole summer but I take people wanting under 7 days there so I was not forced into the fixed Saturday check-in.

The next big issue is my St. Thomas timeshare for Dec. 19-26. No one wants that week either. I may end up trying an Ebay auction for that one. My daughter has rented 2 timeshares on there and they were bid up over maintenance fees both times.

I think a lot of it does have to do with the fact that the 4th falls on a Saturday (your check in day). I generally reserve Saturday check-ins with very good rental success. However, because of where the 4th falls this year I made the majority of my week long reservations checking in on Sunday, June 28th. This would give a renter the opportunity to be at their destination during the 4th and not traveling to or from. I had no issues at all renting the Sunday check in dates.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is an internal banked RCI deposit? I'm communicating with an owner for the rental I'm looking for and was told it was that type of 'ownership'. Also there is no rental contract. :shrug:

Please advise.

Have you asked him/her for a contract to sign? Have you seen the resort confirmation, and is it from the resort, or is it an II or RCI guest certificate? Don't give them the deposit until you see the confirmation in their name. And then don't give them the full payment until you see the confirmation changed to your name.

If it is an exchange with an RCI guest certificate, you can always take your chances and hope you have no issues. Obviously, given all the blatant online exchange rentals, seems to be fairly good odds you're not alone and may very well have no issues.

No, I'm not interested in this week. I was just using this as an example and pointing out possible discrepancies in the ad. I do tend to look occasionally with a roll of the eyes at rentals I know are almost certainly exchanges. I agree with and appreciate your kind advice regarding payment, however.

I think the wording of the ad was changed since I first saw it. It know for certain it previously listed the week as needing a guest certificate and I'm quite sure there was a reference to "RCI". That's what makes me wonder if it was changed intentionally.

When I occasionally rent my owner weeks, I have been surprised at how trusting my renters are! I stress that they should contact the resort to confirm my ownership and reservation. I had one that insisted on sending full payment after I asked for a deposit! I also have advised a couple to be careful about renting exchanges when comparing my rental with others, trying to impress upon them that they may wind up being refused by the resort if it turns out to be an exchange. I think some may think it salesmanship but it's really quite the opposite!

You can't really be too cautious since renting from strangers is risky business. Renting an exchange is a risk I'm not willing to take just to save a few dollars.

Just to clarify, I was responding to post #93 directly above my #94. Thanks for your message anyway. :) I also agree with what you say about being surprised how trusting some folks are. I don't believe I've ever had a renter call my resort and confirm; however, a couple did look me up online. And I always use a contract. Just too many details that I want covered to put into an email or Paypal invoice.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I was responding to post #93 directly above my #94. Thanks for your message anyway. :) I also agree with what you say about being surprised how trusting some folks are. I don't believe I've ever had a renter call my resort and confirm; however, a couple did look me up online. And I always use a contract. Just too many details that I want covered to put into an email or Paypal invoice.

I tried to rent Manhattan Club from guy on RW. He told me to send a check. I asked for a contract. He said he's been doing this for 15 years and never did a contract. I insisted on a contract, even offered hm a generic template. He refused; no deal.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score

When I split use of weeks with my sister, Saturday checkin ruins it. I can typically go from Sunday to Thursday(during summer), and she can take a Friday off for a three day weekend, starting Thursday eve.
Saturday check-in forces my sister to take off more days of work.

windygal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really think it is airbnb and VRBO and Flip Key. So many are renting out their own places and skipping town. In Colorado people in the mountains are having a terrible time finding regular rentals as everyone is renting short term. I had good luck with a Christmas timeshare at Marriott Streamside for years, but now there are so many rentals that people can't even wade through the ads to find mine. Another thing for me is that one person scooped up a bunch of timeshares from people who didn't want to pay the high maintenance fees and put them all on the market. I would now like to sell, but the fees have impacted that.