• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I don't think I've seen a tougher rental year than this.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today, our only timeshare is a nice Kissimmee FL 2BR triennial points unit.
-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

If I were to get back into owning TS, this is exactly what I would do; i.e own one triennial. I would then use Last Call, etc. and rent.

George

grupp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually am able to finalize the rental of my summer Marriott weeks by Christmas and this year was no different. Only been doing this for a few years and seemed to be more demand this year for my weeks. Maybe it is a regional thing as my summer weeks are all in South Carolina.

windygal

TUG Member
Reaction score
renting timeshares

I've been renting Christmas week at Vail for years, but it also is seeming to get a lot harder. I've now switched to President's week. I was able to rent it this past year, but it was also the World Cup Ski Championship finals. I've always made a some money, if not a lot, but after having this week since the 80's, I'm now thinking of trying to sell it.

ChrisandBeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
The strong greenback may be part of the issue. As a Canadian who frequently travels to the USA I have reduced my travel significantly as have a few of my friends. A few years ago the dollar was at par...it's now about a 20% premium.

All my maintenance fees are payable in USD. It's been a noticeable hit on my wallet.

MLR

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI - from an owner AND a renter

We used to take 2,3 or 4 trips a year. But.............
Airfare increases have changed that for us. We are now planning just ONE GOOD TRIP this year - going absolutely NO WHERE ELSE - we will head back to our home timeshare in HI and are adding a couple more weeks via rentals - one via TUG - one VRBO - to make the airfare palatable. So, for us, we go much less because it costs so much more to go anywhere now. AND our retirement isn't doesn't seem to be stretching as far as we had hoped it would either :0(

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Other Options for Rental

I have more and more family and friends that are using VRBO and Airbnb. This is probably reducing the number of people that use to rent timeshares.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
It is a weird year for vacation rentals. I have a beach townhouse in Delaware. Every week rented quickly except the week before and after July 4 which haven't rented but I get multiple requests every day from people wanting to rent July 2-7. I will use it myself before I do that.

I also own 2 Christmas weeks at Marriott's Frenchman's Cove. They usually rent about a year before as soon as I put them on Redweek. This year the 2 BR rented but the 3BR is getting almost no action. Christmas falls late in the week this year. The week begins on the 19th before a lot of kids are out of school. Live and Learn. I'll use them myself the next time the holidays fall late in the week.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Same here - - my Week 30 Cape Cod 2-BR on Redweek hasn't gotten even a nibble. I may end up using it myself!

Rsauer3473

TUG Member
Reaction score
We began renting our WKORV unit a few years back through VRBO. At the time there were not too many listings and the service was only $200. Now there are hundreds of listings and a "pay more to get your listing up front" subscription which will cost me $800 if we choose to renew the listing again. We have had repeat business guests contacting us for future stays once they have rented. We tried FlipKey but cancelled as we couldn't talk to prospective renters until money was paid. As we have prime weeks in February 2016 at WKORV and WKORVN already reserved, we will probably go with VRBO in the fall to market those weeks. Our experience is that renters through VRBO are seldom looking more than four months ahead.
We have also rented some DVC points through Dave's DVC Rental. In fact, if we had more DVC, we could rent out more. This week we have a party staying at Aulani. In the Spring we had a group staying at three resorts at WDW.

Our impression is that as the economy has improved the availability has increased despite more demand. Thus prices are dropping. Our first rental in 2008 involved an ocean view one bdrm and a studio at WKORV. We received $3,950 and $2,450 respectively. Rentals now on VRBO and TUG run 30+% less now. Our last rental for an island view studio at WKORVN this year was $1750.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
It seems to me like there are a lot more rentals on Redweek this year also. Previously, I've only advertised on TUG and Redweek. I have the Marriott Frenchman's Cove everywhere now - VRBO, EBay, FlipKey, AirBNB, TUG and Redweek. I'm the cheapest by far for a holiday week also. I think when the holidays are falling are a big part of it. I have a Key West spring break week for 2016 that has already rented.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a 3 bedroom Surfwatch listed for July 4th week. I got some interest but they wanted to pay very little for the unit. We decided to use it ourselves, the day after I booked our airline tickets I got an inquiry for my asking price. I usually rent out a week 51 or 52 at the Marriott Aruba Ocean Club. I have one listed on Redweek and Tug for this year and no inquires as of yet. I usually have it rented by now.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had a 3 bedroom Surfwatch listed for July 4th week. I got some interest but they wanted to pay very little for the unit. We decided to use it ourselves, the day after I booked our airline tickets I got an inquiry for my asking price. I usually rent out a week 51 or 52 at the Marriott Aruba Ocean Club. I have one listed on Redweek and Tug for this year and no inquires as of yet. I usually have it rented by now.

Ilene, when does your Surf Club week begin? I had Saturday check-in's. The 2 bedroom rented right away but I had to change it to a Sunday check-in for the renter. I've only had a couple inquiries on the 3 Bedroom from a broker, but no takers.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ilene - I meant to say Ocean Club (not Surf).

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been renting reservations at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in Orlando and Daytona Ocean Walk pretty well this summer. But still more rooms to rent.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Everybody wants them cheep, how about reasonable!
How much would your brand name charge for that week ? or Expedia ? They get it too!
We can save hundreds, sometime thousands over what they are asking
yet its still "over my budget" Why are they looking?
These Timeshares are way nicer than the hotel down the road yet they want them cheaper, I don't get it.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
How much would your brand name charge for that week ? or Expedia ? They get it too!
These Timeshares are way nicer than the hotel down the road yet they want them cheaper, I don't get it.

We almost never rent out our weeks and only rarely do we ever rent from others, but I nonetheless am inclined to believe that many people entirely unfamiliar with the financial details of timeshare ownership either just don't understand (or maybe choose not to acknowledge) the undeniable reality of owners' maintenance fee costs.

You seem frustrated, but I think it's just human nature to never want to unnecessarily overpay, so people will almost inevitably "push the envelope" in seeking to save themselves money --- including on rentals. I can't say that I blame them, even if saying so does not represent the "landlord" perspective. People have a budget within which they have to (or simply choose to) live and operate, whether or not those figures match up with the figures that "timeshare landlords" are seeking as rent. :shrug:

Last edited:

imoapie

Reaction score

Tank, while I get what you are saying, this is a simple exercise of supply and demand. I have rented in the past at cost of maintenance fees and I have also rented this year at roughly half cost of MF. Some people rather get something rather then nothing.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Theo is right, Between the lines of his post. he's saying (at least I think he's saying this... I have trouble cutting through the somewhat pompous and condescending tone of his posts)

Its all about the money.

Until just the other day I would have agreed with the op; rentals are tough this year. But then I reduced my price for July 4 to half of what I was asking and I did 8 yesterday... not so hard. if you find the right price point

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Well, I just rented last week through hotels.com instead of from a private owner because it was less hassle and it was more of a sure thing.

I rented other weeks thought RCI extra vacations. Again, the certainty is a selling point.

I'll rent from owners when it's a really good deal. But when I need the certainty I simply don't rent from owners.

bemsucedida

Reaction score
many options and ignorance

I just found this site about a week ago, since I had mistakenly invested in a timeshare (but rescinded in time). Before that I had NO idea that these timeshare resales or rentals even existed. I'm not young, and one of my parents also had a timeshare.

Now people have so many options to find lodging--it used to be just hotels. This doesn't necessarily explain year to year differences you are experiencing, but with Airbnb and all these cheap travel sites, the time share rental market is not as visible. Just in the past year I have met or found out about many people using Airbnb. It seems that it is the "go-to" for most of the under 30 set, and particularly for short term the majority of people I know who are not wealthy, seem to check first at Airbnb. I don't use it and it doesn't appeal to me, but I'm intrigued by the timeshare rentals and will be checking those from now on.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I guess I still have a sour taste in my mouth on what I had to pay for hotels on my recent California trip. Villa's are so much nicer and I missed them dearly. We were on the move not just one spot and it was pricey for something one third of the size.
If I found that great deal I would snag it too.
I do appreciate everybody's input, its been very helpful to me, Thank you !

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't really want the under-30 set "looking for a deal". The liability is too great. I love Redweek because it is mostly other timeshare owners renting from timeshare owners and looking for a fair deal. I much prefer it to exchanging.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't really want the under-30 set "looking for a deal". The liability is too great. I love Redweek because it is mostly other timeshare owners renting from timeshare owners and looking for a fair deal. I much prefer it to exchanging.

Bingo - the "Spring Break" crowd is your greatest risk.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
COST......

Theo is right, Between the lines of his post. he's saying (at least I think he's saying this... I have trouble cutting through the somewhat pompous and condescending tone of his posts)

Its all about the money.

Until just the other day I would have agreed with the op; rentals are tough this year. But then I reduced my price for July 4 to half of what I was asking and I did 8 yesterday... not so hard. if you find the right price point

I agree - I understand wanting to get what the Marriott Hotel charges for your timeshare (for example)...and offering a "good deal" in comparison.....but honestly, that's not what your maintenance fees are and a lot of people that shop timeshares are aware of that and aren't willing to pay much more.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Like any other real estate, pricing is all about the comparables. Your week will rent when it is the best one in that place on that week in the marketplace. It has nothing to do with maintenance fees or what Marriott charges. People who are looking on TUG or Redweek are not interested in what Marriott charges or they would have booked through them to begin with.