• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I bought then canceled and now...

Reaction score
I bought from HGVC and rescinded after finding this site. Now I'm wondering if Wyndham is a better choice for me because of it being in more states and locations. Does anyone have any thoughts about Wyndham vs. Hilton or even the Wyndham experience ?

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I bought from HGVC and rescinded after finding this site. Now I'm wondering if Wyndham is a better choice for me because of it being in more states and locations. Does anyone have any thoughts about Wyndham vs. Hilton or even the Wyndham experience ?

Great resorts, great location for the most part. Their sales staff sometimes acts up.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not owning in either system, but reading both boards extensively over the past few months....

HGVC seems to be viewed as more owner-friendly, esp. resale owner-friendly. The resorts are of an over-all higher quality in terms of finishes, quality of soft furnishings, design and amenities. Wyndham is a little bit lower (maybe a 3 star vs. 4-5 for HGVC.)

Wyndham has more locations in more places, esp. on the east coast. HGVC is more concentrated in Vegas, Hawaii and FL, with some other locations here and there.

Wyndham seems to nickel and dime you quite a bit (housekeeping and reservation fees.) MF seem to be somewhat overall cheaper than HGVC, but you get what you pay for.

Again, this is all from my outsider perspective doing my research. Perhaps someone who owns in both systems will weigh in with an insider perspective.

Reaction score
Go with Hilton

I would go with Hilton resale. They are very resale owner friendly. You can convert your Hilton Points to Hilton Honors and get more property locations. They are also a lot better to sell if you later want to get rid of it.

Wyndham has many locations but they are putting more restrictions on resale owners.

Take care,

Michelle Hernandez

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham has many locations but they are putting more restrictions on resale owners.

This is not accurate. The only difference between resale vs retail is that resale points are not VIP eligible. Also, resale points are not part of Plus Partners unless the owner chooses to pay the approximately $2500 fee to join. This fee is paid by retail purchasers as part of a developer purchase. Any stories to the contrary are nothing but hogwash from sales to try and scare people into buying retail.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also, from what I can see, resorts are hit-and-miss in terms of being dated. So if you want to own tons of nationwide resorts, that would be Wyndham. Based on every post, the biggest issue is the Sales Staff. If you go to any Wyndham resort, and REFUSE to talk to them, you have taken away the biggest complaint.

TS

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I own both. I like both for different reasons.

Wyndham is very flexible, has a lot of locations 75+ all over the country, and is very cheap to buy. However the product is uneven, some resorts are really great and others are not as much, but if you know what the resort offers your expectation will be met. Presidential units are really a wow. Resales have the same rules as everyone else except VIP accounts but it is not worth the price anyway.

Hilton is much higher end and more in line with Presidentials at Wyndham. Prices are much higher than Wyndham, but can be a bit cheaper if you stick to an affiliate. Resort are really great, but are too focused in the same areas, Orlando, vegas and Hawaii (Oahu and Big island). They are getting every so slightly better by adding other locations (Breckenridge, CA, Myrtle Beach), but it is slow. Good customer service, resales no different than direct buy, as far as how you are treated. No Elite through resales, but there are even less perks with Hilton than with Wyndham for elites.

So what kind of experiences and locations do you want to travel, that should dictate your purchase.

Reaction score
I may be tough to please. I want luxury accomodations with a great selection of locations for a fair price. I know, don't we all. I'll look at Westin and Marriott, those are two I haven't considered yet.

Sandi Bo

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
What I have seen recommended often here, and I think is very good advice, is to try before you buy.

You can catch awesome deals here in the Last Minute rentals. Check out a few places, there is no need to rush in to anything.

massvacationer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The thing that differentiates Wyndham from Hilton and Starwood is the very large number of locations up and down the East Coast (and quite a few more that are scattered across the rest of the country). Also, Wyndham continues to add resorts at a fairly (even in this tough economy) rapid pace.

I like that I can use my points at a large number of drive-to locations. Wyndham resort quality varies a little more than the other two and average quality is probably lower, but all are still quite comfortable and nice.

I think you need to look at the portfolio of resorts for each mini-system and decide what is the best fit.

The extra fees at Wyndham can be minimized or avoided with prudent use - and the Resorts' staffs are great. I have always been treated very well - and I purchased all of my points resale.

Last edited:

mdonato

TUG Member
Reaction score
I may be tough to please. I want luxury accomodations with a great selection of locations for a fair price. I know, don't we all. I'll look at Westin and Marriott, those are two I haven't considered yet.

We sound very similar! I like upscale resorts myself and as many amenties as possible. I normally prefer Marriott. But in regards to Wyndham and Hilton, there really isnt much comparison to be honest. Hilton is a much better product. Where Hilton is going and the Wyndham are also far different. Hilton is going to be adding some great resorts in the very near future!
I am also guessing we are from the same area! :wave:
Is there a place you like to go or do you want to go to many different places?
Thanks Michelle

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont care how nice the resort or how many stars it has. if its not in a location that I want to visit, it doesnt make a difference.

Both systems will give you Vegas and Orlando and Hawaii and Carolina beaches

But if you want a system that offers New York City, Miami Beach and the West Coast of Florida it seems to me you have to choose Hilton.

If you would rather have The Florida Panhandle, New Orleans, San Francisco, San Diego, San Antonio, New England ski resorts , Branson, and the mountains of western North Carolina and Tennessee, then Wyndham has to be your choice.

For me, once I learned that Wyndham had properties in Washington DC and San Francisco I made my decision...For you there will be other factors more important...If you can clearly define your needs and wants..the choice will probably be obvious

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Purchase where you and your family want to vacation.