• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I believe I was tricked (Grand View timeshare)

Bond

Reaction score
I recently went to Las Vegas with no intention of buying a timeshare. Went to the presentation for cheap tickets and gambling money. Ended up falling for it.

There was a thread started on April 8 2009 on this site regarding this same company which was very useful and informative. I purchased this timeshare from Grand view on Sunday 10/27/2012 and as per the contract I can cancel the contract with in 5 calendar days.

I sent them the cancellation form with a cover letter in a priority mail today 10/29/2012 with return receipt and expect that it will reach them by Wednesday which is 10/31/2012 which would be the 5 th day. Could some please let me know if 5 calendar days is the time the cancellation should be received by them or, it’s ok to send it within 5 days?
I have sent the cancellation form to Las Vegas and Florida even though the contract required me to send it only to Florida.

Also it will be great if someone could let me know the fax number so that I can send the same documents by fax also. I called them and asked them to connect me to the person whom I talked to but they told me that she has gone for leave and only be back by Wednesday. They also refused to connect me to someone in the cancellation department.

In the documents there were 2 cancellation forms
1) Which did not had the sales persons name and signature in it.
2) Which had the sales persons name and had a placeholder for the sales persons signature.

I was confused which form should I send to them so I filled out both of them and send it with the letter.

Please let me know if need to do anything more to get rid of this timeshare.
Any help will be appreciated

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Doesn't matter when they receive your rescission, only that it is postmarked by the 5th day (various by state). It is also important that you send the rescission in the exact method as outlined in your contract. It is OK if you do MORE than is requested but it is not necessary. If fax isn't required don't worry about obtaining their fax number.

Congrats on researching and rescinding!

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You did all you have to do & were wise to realize this was no "deal" in time. While timeshare can be a great way to travel inexpensively it can't be done buying retail - you are paying way too much. Should you ever want to be an owner (as a well considered decision rather than a rushed, pressure filled presentation) then look into a resale someplace you'd like. Until then you did good by rescinding.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
There's no reason to talk to the salesperson, unless you want to have your ears boxed some more.

As long as you adequately identified the contract that you signed with such identifiers as contract #, date, names, resort and unit description, you should be fine. Your contract states the specific procedure to be followed. Hopefully, you followed it EGGSACTLY as stated. Anything else will not count.

8string

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recinding tip

Just went through a similar situation and realized that what we heard and what is fact were different. Actually went back to the presentation group who were quite helpful in making sure we filled out the papers properly. Their advice was to send the information via registered mail. The 5 day window is correct.

You can mail it on the fifth day as long as the letter is postmarked. The postmark is the key for time stamp purposes. Sending it registered just gives you some record for yourself .... just in case.

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bond,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your analysis, and rescission, of timeshare purchase from the developer!! :clap:

fnewman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Platinum member: Diamond US Collection, Cypress Point I, Powhatan Plantation, San Luis Obispo.
In spite of having been a "knowledgeable" TS owner for many years, we too bought into a story that seemed too good to be true after a marathon sales session (knowing that I could cancel if needed). On the way back home, after reading through the stack of material they gave me, along with some online research to confirm their lies, I was able to cancel pretty easily by following the instructions they were obligated to provide. Based on the tactics used and the lies told, I imagine their cancellation rate is pretty high !

d2r4s

Reaction score
What always amazes me is that everyone is so trilled with cheap resales and no remorse for the poor guy who is loosing 1,000's of dollars. Its trully sad that people have to loose money in order to make someone happy.

kamloops dave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also bought at this resort this year after sitting through the talk, I researched, found this Site and followed the instructions offered to me by knowledgeable members, I decided in the same manner as you did, the post marked date and correct method is really important, they accepted my paperwork and refunded in full with no questions asked. I have since used this awesome Web Site and have bought 4 units at this same resort, I can't begin to explain the relief your going home feel when it's over, if time share is for you, then use the information available here to help you make the right decision. I have just returned from Grandview and have to say that the vacation was all I could have asked for and more.

Good luck with yours

David

Bond

Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments and responding to my questions. This sit was really helpful in deciding the cancellation.

I will keep every one posted about the progress of the cancellation process.

dbmarch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
Hyatt Windward Pointe
My wife and I just attended a Grandview presentation. We were telling all the people on the bus when we were leaving about Tug and they could purchase what they just saw for next to nothing.

Good thing you were able to rescind!

RMitchell

Reaction score
TS

I just can't see signing a contract even if it's free. You can almost always rent from someone on a blog or ebay for the amount of the maint fee or much less and not be bound to the negatives of a contract. Like a special assessment or a contract that sticks to you forever.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Trilled Is As Trilled Does.

What always amazes me is that everyone is so trilled with cheap resales and no remorse for the poor guy who is loosing 1,000's of dollars. Its trully sad that people have to loose money in order to make someone happy.
If that's a reference to the timeshare seller who's out a sales commission when a full-freight buyer rescinds before the cooling off period expires, then there is no reason for any sympathy or remorse whatsoever.

Too many full-freight timeshare sellers use as their basic M.O. so much arm-twisting high pressure, plus truth-stretching & guilt-tripping & psychological manipulation, that there is no call for 1 bit of sympathy or remorse on their behalf.

If they don't like it, they can seek employment in some other line of work that makes fewer demands on their consciences.

The entire full-freight timeshare biz. is based on a foundation of razzle-dazzle & ballyhoo aimed at unknowledgeable prospects who are intentionally given zero opportunity to learn the market or do any comparison shopping before they sign on the line.

Cheap resales are the only reasonable way to buy timeshares. Timeshare deeds are all the same, no matter how high or low the price. And there is no such thing as a new timeshare, because they're all previously occupied (i.e., used) by the time the new owner shows up & checks in. It makes no sense to pay thousands of dollars for an item whose true market value is a few hundred at most.

As for the forlorn full-freight timeshare sellers who lose out on commissions when their buyers rescind, they can go whistle (trilling all the way).

Full Disclosure: We like Grandview At Las Vegas -- stayed there twice via RCI (1 Last Call & 1 straigt-points exchange). We briefly owned a 1BR Grandview points unit. Grandview has some 300 timeshare sellers out there who every day are fast-talking their timeshare-ignorant sales prospects in the process of overwhelming them with razzle-dazzle & ballyhoo. We signed up for the Grandview sales pitch 1 time, just for the freebies -- making sure the headhunter & the timeshare seller both knew that's why we signed up. I thought 1 timeshare seller's head was about to explode when we told him we had a resale points unit at a related timeshare. "You can't buy points resale!" he said. The joke is on him if that's what he really thinks.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I just can't see signing a contract even if it's free. You can almost always rent from someone on a blog or ebay for the amount of the maint fee or much less and not be bound to the negatives of a contract. Like a special assessment or a contract that sticks to you forever.

"..can almost always.." But not always and that is why many buy. Also the bonus deals within the tradng companies are hard to beat.

What's best for you is not best for everyone.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Call your credit card company to put a stop/block on that transaction.

With all due respect, a CC company will not stop/block a charge just 'cuz you ask. What they will do is allow you to dispute a charge after it posts. To be effective, a dispute must be in writing or where allowed, online. They will then investigate the transaction to determine if the beef is legit and not merely an attempt to screw the seller.

Reaction score
With all due respect, a CC company will not stop/block a charge just 'cuz you ask. What they will do is allow you to dispute a charge after it posts. To be effective, a dispute must be in writing or where allowed, online. They will then investigate the transaction to determine if the beef is legit and not merely an attempt to screw the seller.

Perhaps you need to switch credit cards as an American Express platinum card or black centurion card will definitely allow charges to be stopped as I have had to do that on more than one occasion. The service with these level cards are 100% card holder centric and will make the seller prove they have a valid claim vs the other way around.

I only suggested to contact the credit card company (as I assumed they paid via cc) as another "step" to do in addition to sending the rescission letter and other advice that was posted before mine.

Luvstotravel

TUG Member
Reaction score

Not us. We own a fixed, popular week at a world-famous destination, and paid $1 plus closing costs for it. Our maintenance fees are ~$101/night. We could not book the room direct from the resort at that price, or book a room nearby at another resort, that includes a full kitchen.

And we never have to go through the hassle of browsing hundreds of rental ads, or deal with risking the loss of hundreds of dollars to a stranger from eBay or a blog!

And it's a "right to use", that expires in 2025. We can walk away from it then, no need to sell it.

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score

If that's a reference to the timeshare seller who's out a sales commission when a full-freight buyer rescinds before the cooling off period expires, then there is no reason for any sympathy or remorse whatsoever.

IMHO he is talking about an apparant lack of concern for the person who bought at full Price and theN only realized resale value on an eventual sale. That for every bargain discusssed in here somebody paid full price.

YMMV - only d2r4s know's for sure

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
On the way back home, after reading through the stack of material they gave me, along with some online research to confirm their lies, I was able to cancel pretty easily by following the instructions they were obligated to provide. Based on the tactics used and the lies told, I imagine their cancellation rate is pretty high !

That is the key - to read the paperwork. I also read it on the way home, years ago when Wyndham was Fairfield, and caught their omissions. We rescinded and bought other properties resale. But I bet the cancellation rate is not that high. People wait too long to read the contract, and find out the truth when they try to book.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
You Could Be Right.

IMHO he is talking about an apparant lack of concern for the person who bought at full Price and theN only realized resale value on an eventual sale. That for every bargain discusssed in here somebody paid full price.

YMMV - only d2r4s know's for sure
Full-freight buyer's remorse is all too common. Plenty of it is on display from time to time right here on TUG-BBS.

I can & do feel for the folks who had the wool pulled over their eyes by the full-freight timeshare sellers without catching on till after the rescission period was over.

Sympathy, yes.

Remorse, no -- because I didn't have anything to do with it, even if I'm 1 of the people snapping up the bargain el cheapo resales made possible by somebody else's lamentable full-freight purchase.

What the timeshare biz needs is an all-new sales concept, based on Wal-Mart for developer sales & based on Car-Max for resales.

I am not holding my breath waiting for anything like that to happen.

Meanwhile, the full-freight timeshare sellers deserve no sympathy. They can still go whistle.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

1) The vast majority of Tuggers have bought at least one timeshare on the retail market, so we are those poor guys. ;)

2) If no one should buy retail, and no one should buy resale - then there would be no timeshares at all.

3) Many people use their timeshares for years before selling them and are very satisfied with the great vacations they have had over the years - selling isn't always a tragedy.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)

Perhaps you need to switch credit cards as an American Express platinum card or black centurion card will definitely allow charges to be stopped as I have had to do that on more than one occasion. The service with these level cards are 100% card holder centric and will make the seller prove they have a valid claim vs the other way around.

I only suggested to contact the credit card company (as I assumed they paid via cc) as another "step" to do in addition to sending the rescission letter and other advice that was posted before mine.

I agree with Talent312 100%, in fact I think you do also if you read the red hi-lighted text. :eek:

When you go to a TS presentation and sign a legal binding contact, a Real Estate (TS) Purchase Agreement/Contract, you are bound by the terms of that agreement along with the seller. If the buyer abides by the terms of that agreement and rescinds as required (per NRS 119a in Nevada), he/she has nothing to worry about. :)

Calling your credit card company to tell them to put a "hold" on the transaction, or "stop" the transaction, because you "changed your mind" is ridiculous. In the end you would lose the dispute, after the TS company challenges the dispute, and proves that they have a valid claim by providing them with a copy of the purchase agreement. :bawl:

And don't forget, the buyer probably signed a financing agreement, which the buyer may find themselves in default of. Oops, there goes their credit. :bawl:

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)

They know it's a numbers game. Out of "x" number of couples that complete the presentation, "y" number will sign. Out of "y" number that signed, "z" number will not rescind. And out of "z" number that did not rescind and qualify for financing, will be the number of new owners, along with those that paid cash.

So, no reason to feel sorry, it's part of the business.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Perhaps you need to switch credit cards as an American Express platinum card or black centurion card will definitely allow charges to be stopped as I have had to do that on more than one occasion...

Your CC may offer some unique feature I've seen no where else.
But parties are bound by a contract, unless its legally cancelled.
A CC issuer would likely not overrule a contract, absent proof of rescission.

Last edited: