• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I am tired of the run around

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
several things need to be done and they aren’t getting done.

First, my husband needs on a minor procedure on his eye lids. We started trying to get an appointment with the doctor recommended by ophthalmologist but after two weeks of them deciding whether or not to see us they told us no because they would not take our insurance, even though the doctor was a preferred provider. Called second doctor, he cancelled two appointments and then changed the time of the third appointment. He said he would do the surgery and needed pre approvaland would call in that day, November 20. We did the pre op with the family doctor, but the office has still not called our insurance to get pre approval. I want the surgery done this year because we have exceeded our out of pocket expenses and will not have any co pay.

I received a notice from homeowners association along with fifty others to have our roof cleaned. First guy I hired would charge 175 and fifty to clean my small lanai but closed his business two days before our scheduled appointment. Second guy charged the same but never showed up. Caught a guy doing a neighbor for a good price, but he won’t return my calls, another guy came right over but wants $500.

Then the tree. Got a call my queen palm was diseased and needed to be cut down immediately. Paid $150 to have it removed and the stump ground out. Hired a company that will replace it for $400 but need to charge another $100 to grind out the rest of the stump. I have 60 days to replace tree and am running up against that date. The guy I hired did not show up.
Another company I called wants double for every job that they charged a neighbor.

I am getting really disgusted since I don’t think my roof needs cleaning and I don’t need another tree. Plus I had my first accident in all the time I have driven, I backed into a 2004 car, a part of the trim fell off, and the woman brought me a bill for $828 and six days Labor, apparently getting the entire car fixed up and repainted on me.

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Omg. I feel your pain. We used to live in NJ and although we love lots of things about Florida, the pace of getting anything done is painful. And it’s worse in the busy months November through May when the snowbirds are here.

Just a thought...We have found that sometimes getting contractors from out of town can sometimes work for us in terms of availability and pricing...

Also wanted to comment on the Queen Palm, we were told by our HOA that we couldn’t replace ours immediately and had to wait at least six months because of whatever killed it. I don’t recall but it had some disease. Not sure if this is the same for you but it might get you a couple of months.

Good luck with everything....

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As you have noticed, everything costs alot more than years ago. As long as it is not outrageous, I typically pay and move on. Work needs to be done and it is more hassle than it is worth in trying to find a lower cost option that often ends up as being unreliable.

Car repair cost is also ridiculous. It has been like that for years. Most recently, I came out of the country club where I belong and found someone had hit the back of my car and not left a note. On first sight it was very slight and only upon further inspection it was a little more than cosmetics. I went to get 3 quotes and all came in over $3K. I decided to file a claim with my insurance and I have a $1K deductible. My son's car was hit by another car which swerved into his lane and the back quarter looked a little banged up. The repair was over $7K and he was not at fault so the other insurance paid for it. His 6-year old car probably sells for about the same. $828 for a trim repair sounds reasonable.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I was also having difficulty getting contractors to show. My Real Estate agent told me the economy is good, there is so much work that many people are having the same problem.

As far as what your HOA requires, contact the management agent and tell them you can’t get anyone to show and who do they have to recommend. My experience has been the HOA management can help.

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
First, my husband needs on a minor procedure on his eye lids. We started trying to get an appointment with the doctor recommended by ophthalmologist but after two weeks of them deciding whether or not to see us they told us no because they would not take our insurance, even though the doctor was a preferred provider. Called second doctor, he cancelled two appointments and then changed the time of the third appointment. He said he would do the surgery and needed pre approvaland would call in that day, November 20. We did the pre op with the family doctor, but the office has still not called our insurance to get pre approval. I want the surgery done this year because we have exceeded our out of pocket expenses and will not have any co pay.

Your insurance company probably has a posted time frame for non-emergency pre-approvals. Some companies are 30 days and some are 60 days, so you might be out of luck already.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Omg. I feel your pain. We used to live in NJ and although we love lots of things about Florida, the pace of getting anything done is painful. And it’s worse in the busy months November through May when the snowbirds are here.

Just a thought...We have found that sometimes getting contractors from out of town can sometimes work for us in terms of availability and pricing...

Also wanted to comment on the Queen Palm, we were told by our HOA that we couldn’t replace ours immediately and had to wait at least six months because of whatever killed it. I don’t recall but it had some disease. Not sure if this is the same for you but it might get you a couple of months.

Good luck with everything....

I was also having difficulty getting contractors to show. My Real Estate agent told me the economy is good, there is so much work that many people are having the same problem.

As far as what your HOA requires, contact the management agent and tell them you can’t get anyone to show and who do they have to recommend. My experience has been the HOA management can help.

I don't think this is just a Florida problem...I hired contractors to paint, put a new kitchen in and do landscaping and her its almost December and only of those projects is completed... Its been very difficult to get contractors out to do anything in my area.. they are all so busy they can charge what ever and get it...

I agree with Panina its difficult everywhere to get the contractors to show up...

Reaction score
First, my husband needs on a minor procedure on his eye lids. We started trying to get an appointment with the doctor recommended by ophthalmologist but after two weeks of them deciding whether or not to see us they told us no because they would not take our insurance, even though the doctor was a preferred provider.

Get your insurer involved with this one, letting their customer service know that they are refusing even though they are a "preferred" provider. Unless they have stopped accepting your insurance between the time the provider listing was printed and your calls, they should accept you and such.

For instance, in 1992, I was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia and a collapsed lung. When I was discharged, I didn't have an actual doctor, so I called the insurance for a suggestion. The doctor's office refused, saying they're not accepting new patients. I called the insurer back, they said that was against their rules.

TS

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
My insurance called the first doctor, but got nowhere. They also said I don’t need preapproval for this procedure and they say they will call the doctor.
Today, I got another number for someone who does cleaning of roofs. Even the lure of four houses needing roofs cleaned couldn’t get someone out here.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
The man showed up to put in my tree, instead of the pink tab I ordered, he put in a Christmas palm for $400. It looks nice, but I got hoa approval for a pink tab

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I received a notice from homeowners association along with fifty others to have our roof cleaned. First guy I hired would charge 175 and fifty to clean my small lanai but closed his business two days before our scheduled appointment. Second guy charged the same but never showed up. Caught a guy doing a neighbor for a good price, but he won’t return my calls, another guy came right over but wants $500.

Then the tree. Got a call my queen palm was diseased and needed to be cut down immediately. Paid $150 to have it removed and the stump ground out. Hired a company that will replace it for $400 but need to charge another $100 to grind out the rest of the stump. I have 60 days to replace tree and am running up against that date. The guy I hired did not show up.
Another company I called wants double for every job that they charged a neighbor.

I am getting really disgusted since I don’t think my roof needs cleaning and I don’t need another tree. Plus I had my first accident in all the time I have driven, I backed into a 2004 car, a part of the trim fell off, and the woman brought me a bill for $828 and six days Labor, apparently getting the entire car fixed up and repainted on me.

I’m so sorry you’re going through this as I know you’ve got a full plate with everything you’ve got going on.
I hope your HOA will help you find a contractor that will show up and get the work done in a timely manner

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The man showed up to put in my tree, instead of thepi tab I ordered, he put in a Christmas palm for $400. It looks nice, but I got hoa approval for a pink tab

hopefully the HOA won’t notice its a different tree. Congrats on at least getting something installed

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You know, life is just getting harder and harder anymore. I am so sick of fighting everything. You try to do everything right and play by the rules and you only get- well- you know- scr&(8%ed.

I don't blame you for being fed up. Just got home today from VT as we left a day early due to the impending nor'easter in NY. Got the mail and there is a letter from my husband's new Part D carrier that he just applied for as a new Medicare beneficiary. They want a form filled in stating that he had credible prescription drug coverage from 4/1. They said they have no record that he does and it would result in a penalty. OR- he can call, which is what he did. I kid you not the woman he spoke with knew absolutely nothing. Zero. Zilch. Has him on hold numerous times and he got nowhere with her. She clearly did not even know what he was talking about and said to call back on Monday- same phone number- for customer service. Wait- what? Isn't she with customer service?

The man worked all his life and always had health insurance with prescription drug coverage. Shouldn't his broker have taken care of this when he applied for it with him? I guess not. He'll get his commission and could care less. I swear- these insurance companies do it on purpose to make you jump though hoops in the hopes you will not fight it out of laziness or frustration. When I think of how long I was on the phone applying for the coverage for him a week ago and then still have to deal with this BS it makes my blood boil.

Anyway- I remember one word of advice I gave our son as he went out into the world- "People will always be after your money, so keep your guard up!". Snakes are everywhere trying to trick you into giving it to them.

Everything- EVERYTHING- you do- you have to have your boxing gloves on! Just never ends.

I can see why older people just get tired of life. Maybe some bring on dementia subconsciously so they don't have to deal with this BS anymore.

Bottom line is #1 it is hard to get help- good help. #2 it is hard to get work done for a reasonable and fair price IF you can find help. #3 health insurance in this country is a nightmare. They want you to never get care or be dead #4 It takes forever and a day to get anything resolved over the phone, on line or in person- which is almost impossible nowadays. #5 Even the alcohol needed to deal with it all is getting very expensive. LOL!

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got the mail and there is a letter from my husband's new Part D carrier that he just applied for as a new Medicare beneficiary. They want a form filled in stating that he had credible prescription drug coverage from 4/1. They said they have no record that he does and it would result in a penalty....The man worked all his life and always had health insurance with prescription drug coverage. Shouldn't his broker have taken care of this when he applied for it with him?

My recollection is that when I retired my Company, without me asking, gave me a letter certifying that I had qualified prescription drug coverage up until I retired. I think the law requires it...IMO if you used a Broker, he should have asked for the letter...

George

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

You may want to let your car insurance handle. Six days labor is quite a bit.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
My father in-law is a veteran. One of our VA benefits is a low cost burial for the veteran, his wife, and a disabled child to be buried together. Many years ago my wife’s parents made arrangements to be buried at the Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Houston with my wife’s younger brother. He was institutionalized for most of his life due to brain damage. My wife’s parents paid money for the plots many years ago. My wife’s brother died suddenly at the age of 52. When the time came to bury him, the VA officials demanded that my mother in law prove that he was disabled. She is a grieving woman in her mid 80s. My father in law is in his late 80s and has dementia. The situation became such a nightmare that my mother in law was forced to purchase three burial plots at a cost of about $28,000 on short notice just to get her son buried.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My recollection is that when I retired my Company, without me asking, gave me a letter certifying that I had qualified prescription drug coverage up until I retired. I think the law requires it...IMO if you used a Broker, he should have asked for the letter...

George

We have that letter. In fact, the broker is one that my husband's employer says he has to use if he wants the employer contribution to an HRA each month! They didn't even ask for the letter just for him to sign a form saying he had qualified prescription drug coverage. In their letter they stated they MIGHT require some documentation. Well- ummm- yeah- so then we would have to keep dealing with this down the road? Of course, I am making a copy of it and sending it.

I am also calling the broker tomorrow (VIA Benefits- where I have power of atty for my husband to speak with them) and I am calling the insurance company once again to torture myself some more.

But to my point- why is credible coverage even required? Oh sure- there are some so - called solid business reasons they say, and then there are the implications of government regulations for Medicare and then there are implications of.......oh, it goes on and on. You don't want your rates and out of pocket costs to go up, do you? Well- gee- NO! Of course not! But wait! The rates and out of pocket costs have gone up dramatically over the years anyway! SMH...

Another pet peeve of mine- so I call for my husband because he has no clue about any of this stuff and he is hard of hearing on top of it. Oh no- they have to speak with HIM. I mean- come on! I didn't even ask the question yet! I can put anyone on the phone and say he's my husband. Heck- in this day and age I could pretend to be him with a higher voice. How do they know that who I put on the phone is him? Realistically, who is going to call an insurance company and torture themselves and impersonate somebody to find out about something like this? SMH....

Anyway- my point was that every darn thing you do today is one big PITA! Ridiculous rules and regulations and jumping through hoops. Scams. Businesses (and the government) want you to give them your money and not provide the services or the product. Enough to make people insane!

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My father in-law is a veteran. One of our VA benefits is a low cost burial for the veteran, his wife, and a disabled child to be buried together. Many years ago my wife’s parents made arrangements to be buried at the Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Houston with my wife’s younger brother. He was institutionalized for most of his life due to brain damage. My wife’s parents paid money for the plots many years ago. My wife’s brother died suddenly at the age of 52. When the time came to bury him, the VA officials demanded that my mother in law prove that he was disabled. She is a grieving woman in her mid 80s. My father in law is in his late 80s and has dementia. The situation became such a nightmare that my mother in law was forced to purchase three burial plots at a cost of about $28,000 on short notice just to get her son buried.

That is so horrible! So sorry!

This is the way of the world today. And this proves that it is just not private businesses who are crooks and abusers- the government is just as bad if not worse. Lots of times I find myself saying I hate everyone and everything. I don't want to be like that but the world pushes and pushes you...

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
That is so horrible! So sorry!

This is the way of the world today. And this proves that it is just not private businesses who are crooks and abusers- the government is just as bad if not worse. Lots of times I find myself saying I hate everyone and everything. I don't want to be like that but the world pushes and pushes you...

The VA requires paperwork for all burial related benefits. You need your honorable discharge paperwork (I forgot the document number) and I assume you need paperwork to substantiate the disability claim for the son. Unfortunately there are a lot of regulations around burials. Having to deal with these when your grieving if difficult.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The man showed up to put in my tree, instead of the pink tab I ordered, he put in a Christmas palm for $400. It looks nice, but I got hoa approval for a pink tab

Gosh- couldn't even get that right! How frustrating!

But hey- keep the tree and hope the HOA doesn't notice or care.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The VA requires paperwork for all burial related benefits. You need your honorable discharge paperwork (I forgot the document number) and I assume you need paperwork to substantiate the disability claim for the son. Unfortunately there are a lot of regulations around burials. Having to deal with these when your grieving if difficult.

Well I am sure the VA has records also and they could have assisted. This is BS.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
DD Form 214.

Richard

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +