• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I am so frustrated with RCI

stugy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a long time member and yes, I miss the old RCI. Well, here is my story. I have a request in since August for Outer Banks from June 16 to Aug 16. I know that is a tough trade but I own that time period and in fact used a July 4th deposit from Barrier Island for the request. Well first we pulled the Kitty Hawk location. I know it's a nice resort, but the kids want to be on the beach. Then we pulled a unit in the worst location in the resort.....honest. And nothing since. It's almost 6 months and reps are telling me I might not get it!!!! What the **** is going on?
Second story. I deposited a week with RCI the end of December after I had paid my maintenance fee, no not Barrier Island. It's a fairly nice resort but a mediocre trader. I waited a week after I paid the maintence fee to deposit. It was not verified right away and in fact as of yesterday, was not verified. On Tue, I called the resort and asked that they get this verified with RCI, Today I get an email stating that the week has been returned to me since I had not paid my maintenace fee. This is the third time this has happened to me, 3 different resorts, 3 different deposits. Now, it's hard to believe that all 3 resorts made this mistake. Is this RCI's way of rejecting unwanted deposits.
I told the rep that if I do not get this trade into the Outer Banks, my membership will end when my paid membership runs out. And no, they will never see Allen House again.
Any insights. Maybe I just needed to vent!
Pat:crash:

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a long time member and yes, I miss the old RCI. Well, here is my story. I have a request in since August for Outer Banks from June 16 to Aug 16. I know that is a tough trade but I own that time period and in fact used a July 4th deposit from Barrier Island for the request. Well first we pulled the Kitty Hawk location. I know it's a nice resort, but the kids want to be on the beach. Then we pulled a unit in the worst location in the resort.....honest. And nothing since. It's almost 6 months and reps are telling me I might not get it!!!! What the **** is going on?
How far in advance of check-in did you make your deposit? I gave RCI a Presidents' Week in Tahoe and found that I couldn't even exchange into my own resort except in mud-season, even though I could see ski season weeks there, sitting online, with another deposit. RCI claimed that the reason was I'd made a "late" deposit, only eight months before check-in.

On the other hand, your problem could be the economy. I'd guess that most people who own drive-to timeshares on the Outer Banks are using them themselves this year.

Second story. I deposited a week with RCI the end of December after I had paid my maintenance fee, no not Barrier Island. It's a fairly nice resort but a mediocre trader. I waited a week after I paid the maintence fee to deposit. It was not verified right away and in fact as of yesterday, was not verified. On Tue, I called the resort and asked that they get this verified with RCI, Today I get an email stating that the week has been returned to me since I had not paid my maintenace fee. This is the third time this has happened to me, 3 different resorts, 3 different deposits. Now, it's hard to believe that all 3 resorts made this mistake. Is this RCI's way of rejecting unwanted deposits.
I've had the same experience. One of my resorts is just slow verifying deposits. RCI doesn't contact the resort a second time, wait for a response, or call the member. They just send out the rejection letter, slowing everything way down :wall:

davhu1

Reaction score
I deposited a week with RCI the end of December after I had paid my maintenance fee, no not Barrier Island. It's a fairly nice resort but a mediocre trader. I waited a week after I paid the maintence fee to deposit. It was not verified right away and in fact as of yesterday, was not verified. On Tue, I called the resort and asked that they get this verified with RCI, Today I get an email stating that the week has been returned to me since I had not paid my maintenace fee. This is the third time this has happened to me, 3 different resorts, 3 different deposits. Now, it's hard to believe that all 3 resorts made this mistake. Is this RCI's way of rejecting unwanted deposits.
Pat:crash:

I deposited 2 weeks earlier this month by phone. 2 weeks later I still have no confirmation. I emailed rci and they told me one week was rejected and another week is still waiting for the resort to confirm. Talked to the resorts and they did not have any problems. I called rci back yesterday to find out the original request was coded wrong and did not get deposited for exchange.

Did deposit by phone or rci website? You may want to call them again.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Part of the problem is that, with the rise of the Internet, it's become easier for owners to rent their weeks. Those with truly peak weeks in very high-demand locations can generally get better value by renting their time out, and using the proceeds to pay cash for the alternative lodging they desire, and have money left over.

If I had a summer, beachfront unit on OBX, I'd be hard-pressed to deposit it to RCI, because there are just so few "comparable" things one could get in exchange.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
bnoble expressed my thougts very well. With the weak economy, many people may be trying to rent their weeks to get some money out for other uses. Some of them may deposit later if the rental attempts fail.

Maybe owners are using their own week to avoid exchange fees. Maybe they are switching to II now that RCI's fees are so much higher.

Maybe some can't deposit their weeks because they don't have the funds to pay the maintenance fees.

While RCI probably does things none of us would approve of, they can't give you a week that they don't have. They verify my weeks pretty quickly. I got one of the "returned week" letters for a new resort that I didn't realize required me to pay my maintenance fees before I deposited it. Other than that, all weeks have been verified within three days or so.

You may still get your week, but you may want to have a backup plan. I think the economy is going to make this a year with a lot of vacation opportunity.

Sheila

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Part of the problem is that, with the rise of the Internet, it's become easier for owners to rent their weeks. Those with truly peak weeks in very high-demand locations can generally get better value by renting their time out, and using the proceeds to pay cash for the alternative lodging they desire, and have money left over.

If I had a summer, beachfront unit on OBX, I'd be hard-pressed to deposit it to RCI, because there are just so few "comparable" things one could get in exchange.

You're spot on. Even when I was using RCI, they would never see my July 4th OBX beachfront week. It is better to use it or rent it. I was working here in Europe during July last year and let a family member use it, and this year I may get back to the states in July to use it, and if not will probably let family use it again. I would possibly give it to DAE, but I have family members standing in line wanting to use it if I am not. I sold my June week when I took the job on this side of the pond, but that rarely got exchanged either.