• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I am happy with HGVC

Reaction score
I am a resale HGVC buyer for the past three or so years and, so far, I am a happy HGVC member.

Over the past two years, I have stayed at

Kings Land, Big Island Hawaii
Elara, Las Vegas - twice
W 57th St, NYC
The Residence Club, NYC - twice
Ocean Plaza, Miami Beach, FL
Tuscany Village, Orlando

I have visited Park City and multiple other Orlando locations, but not stayed there, and Park City is very good.

I do want to visit Chicago and Europe and Japan and super happy with Las Vegas and NYC locations.

Also, I converted some of my points to HHonors as that was my best option that year

Overall, the system is not perfect, but honestly it is a very good timeshare and I am happy with my cost/use so far.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Always good to hear from people that are happy with their ownership. We have been very pleased with our HGV travels.. Actually pretty happy with my MVC travel also

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I am a resale HGVC buyer for the past three or so years and, so far, I am a happy HGVC member.

Elara, Las Vegas - twice
W 57th St, NYC
Tuscany Village, Orlando

I have visited Park City and multiple other Orlando locations, but not stayed there, and Park City is very good.

I do want to visit Chicago and Europe and Japan and super happy with Las Vegas and NYC locations.

Also, I converted some of my points to HHonors as that was my best option that year

Overall, the system is not perfect, but honestly it is a very good timeshare and I am happy with my cost/use so far.

Me too -- very happy with HGVC.

I am grateful for 8 trips to Hilton Hawaiian Village and 4 trips to Kings Land -- with trip #5 next month! Can't wait to return!

Best,

Greg

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
New resale owner 2 years ago. Been to The Boulevard (with another owner) and to Ocean 22 with a return trip to Ocean 22 this year. Very happy with our purchase. Love the low MF’s, flexibility and levels of service/comfort. We have already made up our purchase with our trips we booked and love the size of our rooms.

The downside? Hotel rooms seem very small now.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
New resale owner 2 years ago. Been to The Boulevard (with another owner) and to Ocean 22 with a return trip to Ocean 22 this year. Very happy with our purchase. Love the low MF’s, flexibility and levels of service/comfort. We have already made up our purchase with our trips we booked and love the size of our rooms.

The downside? Hotel rooms seem very small now.
We love our HGVC membership and have vacationed over 1500 nights in the last 15 years in HGVC resorts. Those vacations have brought us to Miami South Beach, Las Vegas, Orlando, the Island of Hawaii, and Honolulu. We have used our points to exchange thru RCI to go to New York City, San Diego, San Francisco, New Orleans, Key West, Maui, and Kauai. However, we mostly have stayed in studios during that time and although the studio in the Lagoon Tower is probably smaller than most Hotel rooms, it seems so very large since we are in Honolulu.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

Elara, Las Vegas - twice
W 57th St, NYC
Tuscany Village, Orlando

HGVC is a very good system. I tend to use the weeks I actually own but have traded to within to Myrtle Beach, Captiva, Sanibel and Hilton Head, thru RCI to DVC, great value.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I am glad for your positive experiences. I too have been very pleased with HGVC, but I also agree with @dayooper. Basically, I no longer see myself staying in a hotel room while on vacation.

I actually now have a fairly predictable booking schedule with HGVC. One thing which I do like is the flexibility of HGVC. With proper planning, I am able to reserve consistantly.

Last edited:

toontoy

Reaction score
I am really happy as an owner. I purchased directly at first and then found resale and rescinded. I think that has some play in how happy you are overall.

With the club we have explored many places I normally wouldnt have gone, Sanibel Island a couple times, Hilton head, Myrtle Beach, New Orleans (RCI), Disney Resorts (wish Beach Club and Boardwalk were deposited still), Carlsbad, Valdoro. Its nice to also have been able to use Vegas, Park City and Orlando easily and routinely. I often book Vegas for work at 30 days or less and gotten what I wanted.

Overall I think the program is great. I really hope it stays this way,

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I loved our HGVC because of Open Season and flexibility. Since we sold our too small contract last year, I am hoping to p/u a better contract soon. We only traveled to Carlsbad however 5x last year alone. C

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We've been happy owners too. In 5 years we have traveled to:

NYC (1 - 2x per year)
Vegas (every year)
Borgo Al Vigne, Italy
Hawaii, Oahu annually
Kingsland
Tuscany, Orlando
Carlsbad
FA Cabo (2x)

RCI Trades:
Peacock Suites, Disney

Transferred a small amount of gap points to Hilton:
Waldorf Rome Cavalieri

Not too happy about buying retail on our first purchase but trying to make the most of it by leveraging our resale points. :)

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
100 nights per year is impressive

Well the 100 nights per year has varied. From 2006 to 2008 we were still working so we only vacationed about 20-30 nights a year. Since 2009 we have been retired. In 2009 we made our retirement vacation celebration tour for the months of January, February and March in San Diego, Kauai, Maui, Hawaii Island, Honolulu, and Miami South Beach. Since then we have always vacationed from January to some time in late April in the Hawaiian Islands. During the rest of the year we vacationed for a week or two in other locations like Las Vegas. This year will be our last to use our timeshares as we have in the past since we bought a Condo in Honolulu. We started out with 15 nights on the Island of Hawaii starting December 7th. We have been in Honolulu since December 22nd. We will be leaving for Kauai on May 2nd for 11 nights before going home.

phil1ben

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ditto, bought a resale 7000 point package in South Beach in 2010. Paid $1.00 per point and enjoy using our points each year. We bought the perfect amount of points for us and will not buy another timeshare (because it represents only a portion of our travels) but are happy with our decision. I would do it again. As I have said before I would like to see two "happiness polls". One by people whose first timeshare purchase was resale and another from those that bought retail. I think there would be a great divergence.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was happy with Marriott until I wasn't. Be alert for things changing. Two of many examples. They raised their commission to buy or rent my Week from 20% to 40% (I think I read somewhere they are now considering 50%). They devalued my ability to use my Week for Rewards points. When I first bought, my Week would get me a plane ticket, a car and a great room somewhere. Now the points are worth about 20% of what they once were. I could go on and on. My point is stay alert. What you like today may not be there tomorrow...

George

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
I bought from the developer in Elara and then found TUG far too late to rescind. However, I am still extremely happy with HGVC. We have traded into the Waikoloa, Orlando (x3), Hilton Head and multiple Vegas trips (never at Elara yet). I was a regular visitor at HGVC on the strip in Vegas Before our developer purchase so I think I had a bias before we even consider purchasing.

I find that HGVC gives me a real sense of comfort in my trades, much more than some of the RCI adventures, but I don’t think I’ve had a stay in any system yet that I didn’t really enjoy. what really sold me on the HGVC system was the trading within the system. I know many other systems operate on points but this was the one I knew and have never regretted. Even the original “escalated” purchase price from the developer doesn’t bother me anymore. I often regret not finding resale prior to but I don’t think it has ever jaded my opinion of the system. After all, someone has to purchase from the developer for a resale market to exist. So to all the resale HGVC resale purchasers, you’re welcome. :cheer:

Mitzi Witt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought retail and have been very happy. Especially this week - I was able to get 3 x 2BR in Miami. Family vacation soaking up the Super Bowl LIV atmosphere!!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
It’s nice to read a thread like this where TUGGERS are happy with their timeshares and exchanges.
We don’t own HGVC but we have a HICV week that we enjoy along with two independent timeshares that we bought resale. We have been to places we probably wouldn’t have gone if not for TUG and using Marketplace for buying, selling, renting and exchanging. We have also used RCI, II, Trading Places, DAE, and VRI. Still enjoying our timeshare vacations, glad to see others doing so .
Silentg

Mitzi Witt

TUG Member
Reaction score
wow....three 2-bedroom units in Miami during SuperBowl....that is impressive
Yeah, I started walking reservations about a week before my intended check in. Even then, was somewhat surprised it worked.

Great week to be here!!!