• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I am considering buying Ko-Olina - decision will be based on trading power/upgrades?

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have tentatively bought a 2 bedroom ocean view Ko-Olina unit.

If I buy it (my recision period ends on Wednesday), part of my decision will be based upon trading power.

I plan to go to Oahu every other year, and deposit (for exchange) my unit every other (second) year, with II.

Questions:

i) which of weeks 1-50 (realizing that weeks 51 and 52 are platinum plus weeks) have the greatest trading power.

ii) if I split my unit - will II still give me an accomodation certificate? Of course, it is not valid in Hawaii, or winter months in the Colorado resorts.

iii) will the lock-off and also the 1 bedroom unit be potentially upgradeable to a larger unit:

a) outside of Hawaii (within and outside of the Marriott system)
b) in Hawaii (within and outside of the Marriott system).

iv) How likely will the studio, or 1 bedroom, or the 2 bedroom unit be able to get me a unit at Harborside at Atlantis; Royal resorts in Cancun; Disney resorts in Orlando, or some other extremely high trading power resort (can one name such other examples) - especially during the months of July or August?

My salesperson said that since the demand vs supply of any Hawaii resort (within II) is (perhaps) as much as one order of magnitude, especially 5 star Hawaii resorts (esp Marriotts) should be able to trade for almost anything that II has in its inventory.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ko-Olina has excellent trading power, so any week you obtain has a lot of horsepower for trading.

I guess the real question is why do you want to spend so much money buying via the developer versus resale? In this market you likely could pick up TWO resale weeks for what you are paying to purchase one week from Marriott.

Rescind now while you still can. Give it some more thought. You can always go back and re-purchase it if you feel that's the route you really want to go.

Save your money:banana:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Realistically, Ko'Olina units, especially if you reserve a prime summer week or other top week, will be a top trader. However, certain resorts (like Harborside) are very hard to trade into via II in the summer months, since Starwood, and not the owners, chooses which weeks get deposited (so rarely are those prime summer weeks available, and if one does sneak through, there is still a 3 day Starwood preference to get past). However, there are Harborside owners who might love to visit Hawaii and you have a great resort to offer in a direct exchange.

The Royals in Cancun should be a relatively easy trade and you'll be able to trade into any other Marriott, of course subject to availability. The more flexible you are wrt acceptable resorts and dates within the summer months the more likely you will be to get an acceptable trade.

As posted above, Ko'Olina is an expensive unit to use as a trader. You might consider an EOY purchase if that's when you want to go. Also, keep in mind that, while buying direct has the advantage of being able to trade every other year for points, paying high MF's makes trading Hawaii units for points a questionable value. If you don't intend to trade for points, you should really consider saving $$$'s and looking a resale purchase. Before your purchase becomes final, make sure you at least understand the difference; keep in mind that if you rescind today, you can always decide to repurchase tomorrow or next week, but if you don't rescind you are stuck even if you realize later it was a mistake.

Good luck. Whatever you decide, it is a great resort!!

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Without getting into developer purchase verses resale, there are every-other-year units available at KoOlina as well. You may consider an EOY there and then a decent trader with lower maintenance fees as a second unit.

That is exactly what I did. I bought the cheaper Legends Edge unit from Marriott, giving me the points option, and bought the Waiohai resale. For '09 I traded my LE week 26 for a 2BR week 27 at KoOlina.

Terry

P.S. - Harborside would be a great candidate for an owner to owner direct exchange.

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not tell you that I have a Aruba Surf Club unit (2 bedroom, platinum plus Easter break week, garden view). I bought it a few years ago, at $22K. I was able to trade in the unit - trade in value is based upon current market value of the unit, as well as the type of unit I wish to buy. I was given $21,750 in trading value.

You could argue that I buy a unit on the resale market, and sell my unit in that market. I am not sure that the net amount I would have to pay for the new unit would necessarily be all that much less than what I paid for.

Even with the trade, I was given an incentive of 100,000 Marriott points. I was not given the 40,000 points, for self-referral. I will be getting a Canadian Marriott Visa card - where I will pay the balance of $21K+ - and get (3 Marriott points for Canadian dollar spent; I believe the US Marriott card gives 5 Marriott points for US dollar spent).

In terms of purchasing the unit through the resale market, things that are not attractive:

i) I see that (per other TUG threads) that one can only reserve the unit six, rather than 12, months in advance.

ii) on that (albeit unlikely) scenario that I would want Marriott points for an unused week, that option is not available with a resale unit.

iii) does one get access to a Hawaii Marriott vacation customer service representative (Vacation counselor), based in Utah - if one does not buy directly through Marriott?

Are there any other benefits that one would not get, if one bought through the resale market?

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The only thing you currently lose by buying resale is the ability to trade your unit for MR points. Thats it.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! For that $21K difference, you can easily buy a 2BR KoOlina unit resale and still own your Aruba unit - two excellent Marriott timeshares!! :D

There is no 6 month reservation policy for Marriott and no such plans for one at this time! What you have been reading are misleading quotes from illinformed salespeople. :annoyed:

Terry

Last edited:

Eric

Reaction score
Funny, I have been reading the quotes from gulable owners.

Wow! For that $21K difference, you can easily buy a 2BR KoOlina unit resale and still own your Aruba unit - two excellent Marriott timeshares!! :D

There is no 6 month reservation policy for Marriott and no such plans for one at this time! What you have been reading are misleading quotes from ilinformed salepeople. :annoyed:

Terry

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
In terms of purchasing the unit through the resale market, things that are not attractive:

i) I see that (per other TUG threads) that one can only reserve the unit six, rather than 12, months in advance.

ii) on that (albeit unlikely) scenario that I would want Marriott points for an unused week, that option is not available with a resale unit.

iii) does one get access to a Hawaii Marriott vacation customer service representative (Vacation counselor), based in Utah - if one does not buy directly through Marriott?

Are there any other benefits that one would not get, if one bought through the resale market?

gmarine had it correct. The only item that is correct in your comment is number ii. Items i and iii are not correct. Item i is total speculation in other posts. No one has any evidence or have heard or read directly from Marriott (excluding sales reps trying to make a sale) that it even is being seriously considered.

elina

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you own Plat plus week at Surf Club could you just trade for Hawaii every other year? That way you wouldn't have to spend the money on another timeshare with higher maintenence fees. The Surf Club plat plus will easily trade to Hawaii Marriott, but Harboside will be tough trade even using a Hawaii Marriott. If you want to buy another timeshare have you considered buying Harborside resale? That way you could trade your Surf Club to Hawaii when you want to go there and you could easily go to Harborside when you want to or rent it out.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you own Plat plus week at Surf Club could you just trade for Hawaii every other year? That way you wouldn't have to spend the money on another timeshare with higher maintenence fees. The Surf Club plat plus will easily trade to Hawaii Marriott, but Harboside will be tough trade even using a Hawaii Marriott. If you want to buy another timeshare have you considered buying Harborside resale? That way you could trade your Surf Club to Hawaii when you want to go there and you could easily go to Harborside when you want to or rent it out.

Unless the OP wants to go to Harborside regularly I'm not sure its a great purchase due to the high MF's. Of course, as suggested, it can be rented. If you're only looking for a single or occasional trip to Harborside, a direct exchange or renting your unit and then renting a Harborside unit might be options worth considering.

For half the amount that you are spending (give or take) you could keep your SC unit and buy an EOY resale at Ko'Olina. That way, you could make your Hawaii reservations when you want to and even use the SC unit some years as a trade for another week in Kaui or Maui perhaps. The advantage to EOY ownership is that Hawaii MF's are high, and if you only plan to go EOY, owning EOY versus annually saves in MF's. And, by doing this, you'd save 10K and have an extra EOY ownership, with total MF's only a little higher than a single annual Ko'Olina ownership. As a trader, Aruba is very close to Hawaii, so you wouldn't really be losing anything as a trader.

laxmom

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
Reaction score

That's what I thought. Harborside is never easy, though, even for Starwood owners. A direct trade would still be possible though.

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless the OP wants to go to Harborside regularly I'm not sure its a great purchase due to the high MF's. Of course, as suggested, it can be rented. If you're only looking for a single or occasional trip to Harborside, a direct exchange or renting your unit and then renting a Harborside unit might be options worth considering.

For half the amount that you are spending (give or take) you could keep your SC unit and buy an EOY resale at Ko'Olina. That way, you could make your Hawaii reservations when you want to and even use the SC unit some years as a trade for another week in Kaui or Maui perhaps. The advantage to EOY ownership is that Hawaii MF's are high, and if you only plan to go EOY, owning EOY versus annually saves in MF's. And, by doing this, you'd save 10K and have an extra EOY ownership, with total MF's only a little higher than a single annual Ko'Olina ownership. As a trader, Aruba is very close to Hawaii, so you wouldn't really be losing anything as a trader.

1. Which web sites (or locations on TUG) have listings for Ko-Olina? Are there any real estate people involved in such type of units?

2. I wonder how many of the TUG people who own a Ko Olina unit have bought it from Marriott developer, and how many have bought it from the resale market? If so, why are the owners who bought it from the developer asking me to buy it from the resale market?

3. Another advantage of buying in Hawaii (from the developer or resale) - I own the unit outright (fee simple?); the Aruba unit is not owned outright, but for a certain number of years (40+); it is important to me to deed our unit to our children.

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Which web sites (or locations on TUG) have listings for Ko-Olina? Are there any real estate people involved in such type of units?

2. I wonder how many of the TUG people who own a Ko Olina unit have bought it from Marriott developer, and how many have bought it from the resale market? If so, why are the owners who bought it from the developer asking me to buy it from the resale market?

3. Another advantage of buying in Hawaii (from the developer or resale) - I own the unit outright (fee simple?); the Aruba unit is not owned outright, but for a certain number of years (40+); it is important to me to deed our unit to our children.

4. I would want to stay at Harborside very occasionally - certainly not frequently enough to buy it, even on the resale market?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

1- There are many resellers- look at the stickies at the top of this forum for suggestions (places to look include Redweek, etc. and real estate brokers such as Transactionrealty, Timesharing2000, and many others).

2-People are just making sure you are aware of the price difference so you make an informed purchase.

3- The Aruba unit can also be left to the kids. Its ownership difference is not due to buying resale or from the developer, but because the Aruban government only leases the land. Ownership rights do not expire, however, at the end of the lease. The government wants to ensure that the property is maintained and, if so, will renew the lease, and your ownership continues. Worst case scenario is that they have to buy the property back at fair market value and the timeshare owners are paid out, so it is not a case where it is worthless in 2060.

Eric

Reaction score
It does if you think it's correct and continue to discuss it when there are no fact to back it up.

I don't think posting a misleading quote from a salesperson makes an owner gullible.

Terry

Last edited:

wa.mama

TUG Member
Reaction score

Seema, I'm not afraid to say that I've purchased my Ko Olina from the developer, as has my other family members (4 units total). Ko Olina was our first purchase through Marriott, and we were happy enough with the level of service, points program, and incentives offered to go on to purchase at 2 other properties. The small amount extra that was paid was worth it for us, as we plan to keep these units through another generation and see it as "prorating" the extra amount over 40+ years. Convenience is worth $$ to me, and the lack of worry regarding future Marriott resale ownership restrictions is also priceless. To each his own, though, and I am sure that if it were not a long-term purchase I would have thought twice about resale.

To your original question, we have found that the lock-off units trade very well. I have been upgraded several times, and have had no trouble booking "prime" weeks such as thanksgiving, president's holiday, and july 4th which also aid in trading power if not used. I would not purchase ocean view, however, as your Ko olina sales rep can put you in some excellent "ocean view" units when you make your yearly reservation. As you may have heard, ocean view at this property is decided by whether you can see the ocean from the DOORWAY, and many "mountain view" units have prime full ocean views from the bedrooms and lanai if you know which ones to request.

Good luck with your decision. I have found the salespeople at Ko Olina to be forthright and easygoing people. It's a beautiful property, and our current favorite marriott location.