• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

hypothetical question on timeshare classified ads

How many classified ads would an INDIVIDUAL timeshare owner post in a given year

• up to 5 ads

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • up to 10 ads

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • up to 20 ads

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • up to 30 ads

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • up to 50 ads

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • up to 100 ads

• more than 100 ads

• Total voters

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
At what count in a single year would you consider someone no longer selling/renting their own PERSONAL timeshares...and instead is running a business or a hobby.

Ie...if I place say 5 ads in a year (individual ads...not renewals)...one would easily make an argument that this user is selling/renting personally owned units.

however if someone places 25 ads....well I would be hard pressed to believe they personally own all of these (and if they do they own them specifically to sell/rent them vs use them on their own)

so...say someone was coming up with an ad program that he was going to provide free ads to his members for their personal ads...but those selling/renting ads as a business or a hobby above a certain amount would have to pay a yearly fee for this use.

at what number would you think the line should be drawn to establish a clear line between personal use...and non-personal use.

wcfr1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also need to consider owners of fractional and full ownership properties who could have as many as 52 weeks if they bought all the fractions.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I would think five to ten could be personal. I need to list two units for sale and should have listed three for rent for this year. Maybe even four for rent next year until I can use up my surplus of banked weeks.

I definitely agree that with more than a certain number of ads should be charged. Maybe you could make an exception for those who have been paying TUG members for some extended period of time. I know that a few have LOTS of units but I'd hate to see the long time contributors to the site be charged.

JMHO.

Sheila

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
well I want to use this as a guide...ill certainly set the limit high enough that it should ONLY impact those who noone would reasonably consider a "personal" seller/renter.

everyone else could just post at their leisure without worrying about hitting a limit.

like for example if the poll ended now...id make the limit 30 ads...thus covering 99% of the people.

id deal with the 1% as they came along!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
one thing I didnt count on...and it may adjust the votes some (but i can always just multiply by 4) is that the new ad program will still expire the ads in 3 months.

which will require you to renew them 4 times to run it for a full year...each renewal will also count towards your ad placement.

ie you can run 4 ads for 3 months (count of 4) or 1 ad for a full year (same count of 4)

would this bump up those of you who voted for "up to 5 ads" to increase your count up to 20 ads? or no?

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Every time I have to renew an ad I think of it as a new ad since I have to pay for it again. But that's just me.

For your purposes, and for the 99% you mentioned, I think the count should be the number of all new ads-- each with differening content material.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Every time I have to renew an ad I think of it as a new ad since I have to pay for it again. But that's just me.

For your purposes, and for the 99% you mentioned, I think the count should be the number of all new ads-- each with differening content material.
I like the distinction of "new ad" -- but how much work will it be to compare the content? Especially if the ad owner tweaks the ad a bit trying to get better response?

Assuming some level of hassle comparing content, I think I prefer the idea of [Voted Count]*4 as a response to the renewal issue.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
it wont be an issue with editing in the new program.

your personal "ad counter" will just tick every time you either post a new ad...or renew an existing ad....there will be no differentiation between the two.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
your personal "ad counter" will just tick every time you either post a new ad...or renew an existing ad....there will be no differentiation between the two.
Sounds like this reinforces the idea of [Vote Count*4] if don't want to ding personal uses based on ad renewal.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
which one of you brokers voted for more than 100 lol