• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos - Breach of Contract??

CPTKellyG56

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Banyan Resort of Key West
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, Mexico????
The Hyatt Ziva in Los Cabos, Mexico removed all the kitchen facilities from every unit in 2014/15 and now requires ALL guests, including Timeshare owners/traders, to pay their all inclusive fees if they want to use their unit... currently at $150 per adult person per day and $65 per child per day. They did this during the renovation of the resort after Hurricane Odile in 2014. In 2015 Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos sent a letter explaining the "new rules" on the all-inclusive fees, but offered a "special promotional" fee of only $50/pppd if we would also sign a statement agreeing with the "Amendments to the Contract." They also said they would be increasing the maintenance fee by 6% each year as "outlined in the basic contract". We refused to agree/sign and told them (Ziva and GBS) it was a breach of contract to make that type of change and we asked that the contract be rescinded.

We should have received a timeshare maintenance fee invoice in late 2017 for 2018 (we are an every other year owner), but have yet to receive one. Last maintenance fee in 2016 was $665 for our "1 BR with kitchen!" which is decent and we've always traded in II for a 2 BR (or better) upgraded unit with it (always a red week in Los Cabos!)

When I tried to log on to the management group (GBS in Miami) that sends out the every other year invoice, their website says there is no contract associated with my email address. I think they actually rescinded our contract, although I never got any notice from GBS or Hyatt Ziva to that effect. I am NOT going to call them!

We do NOT want to continue this TS so we're keeping our fingers crossed that by not signing the agreement to the contract amendment, that we were let out of it.

Does anyone have any real information about this situation?

BTW...
On the Hyatt Ziva website, daily rates START at $350/night and go to the moon and back! The all-inclusive rate of $150/pppd looks like it only covers food and ETOH and nightly entertainment...I didn't see anything else "included" like scuba, jet skis, massage, etc...

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, I feel for you, but it looks like you did the right thing by refusing to sign their contract amendment, but I wonder if their offer of $50 pp/pd was a one time thing or that was the new owner's rate on going rate.

Vela Resorts has AI at their resorts, and they have a very attractive AI rate for owners, something like $60 pp/pd. What is also nice about it is that one doesn't have to chose AI for their whole stay.

A few years back some of the Royal Resorts went to All-Inclusive mandatory but gave an exemption for owners only. Now II exchangers are forced to take their rather expensive AI food plan. Personally, I have found a stash of owners to rent directly from, but I have heard from owners that they feel the addition of AI mandatory changed the feel of their resorts.

CPTKellyG56

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow, I feel for you, but it looks like you did the right thing by refusing to sign their contract amendment, but I wonder if their offer of $50 pp/pd was a one time thing or that was the new owner's rate on going rate.

Vela Resorts has AI at their resorts, and they have a very attractive AI rate for owners, something like $60 pp/pd. What is also nice about it is that one doesn't have to chose AI for their whole stay.

A few years back some of the Royal Resorts went to All-Inclusive mandatory but gave an exemption for owners only. Now II exchangers are forced to take their rather expensive AI food plan. Personally, I have found a stash of owners to rent directly from, but I have heard from owners that they feel the addition of AI mandatory changed the feel of their resorts.
The letter said it was a temporary promotion, but did not elaborate if it was permanent if agreed to. The tone of the letter was not "pro-owner" if you ask me. I think they were using it as a lever to get owners to agree to the contract amendments. So the bottom line is a maintenance fee of $665 and then another $700 (if $50/pppd stayed in force beyond the "promotional period", whatever that might be) for 2 people to enjoy THAT resort, they've effectively doubled the cost to go there literally overnight. The maintenance fee has been going up 6% every year.

My feeling is that's not what we bought into...we bought a unit with a kitchen. Hyatt substantially changed the resort from the contract. Barcelo bought the resort from the original developer before Hyatt bought it from them and Barcelo maintained the unit kitchens even though they offered owners an AI option...use your kitchen or buy the AI upgrade. I hope I never get contacted by them any more.

Golfer1952

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
Hello,

I am new to this website but have been a timeshare owner at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos since it was the original Grand Baja in 2005. I own a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom. The information outlined above is correct. The original all inclusive "promotional" price offered was $55.00 for adults and $25.00 for children per day subject to a maximum increase of 6% per year. According to their letter, this offer expired on January 31st 2016. I refused to sign this letter. I wrote 2 letters to the previous GM outlining the fact that I was not interested in the all-inclusive unless Hyatt Ziva wanted to include it no charge to compensate for the fact that the kitchens had been almost entirely eliminated. I never received a reply and have visited the resort twice since that time, each time having a big argument at the front desk insisting that I now pay the going rate of $150.00 per day per adult. (There were 4 of us there for 2 weeks so this would have cost $150.00 x 14 days = $2100 x 4 people = $8400.00 !!!) They have relented both times but it is becoming a big hassle and I am anxious to get it settled once and for all. I am planning to contact Hyatt management and possibly the Consumer Protection Agency in Mexico to get this resolved. Any help or advice that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

CPTKellyG56

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hello,

I am new to this website but have been a timeshare owner at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos since it was the original Grand Baja in 2005. I own a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom. The information outlined above is correct. The original all inclusive "promotional" price offered was $55.00 for adults and $25.00 for children per day subject to a maximum increase of 6% per year. According to their letter, this offer expired on January 31st 2016. I refused to sign this letter. I wrote 2 letters to the previous GM outlining the fact that I was not interested in the all-inclusive unless Hyatt Ziva wanted to include it no charge to compensate for the fact that the kitchens had been almost entirely eliminated. I never received a reply and have visited the resort twice since that time, each time having a big argument at the front desk insisting that I now pay the going rate of $150.00 per day per adult. (There were 4 of us there for 2 weeks so this would have cost $150.00 x 14 days = $2100 x 4 people = $8400.00 !!!) They have relented both times but it is becoming a big hassle and I am anxious to get it settled once and for all. I am planning to contact Hyatt management and possibly the Consumer Protection Agency in Mexico to get this resolved. Any help or advice that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Hello Golfer1952,

Thank you for your post on this issue. We too have been owners since it was the Grand Baja circa 2005-2006. We bought a 1 bedroom, even year ownership. When we got our "letter" from Hyatt in late 2015, we too did not agree to the changes and sent back a negative response to them AND GBS International in Miami that they were in breach of contract. We paid our maint fees for 2016 and deposited same to Interval. I suspect Hyatt Los Cabos would be thrilled to have all the TS Owners abandon them...they probably make more money via hotel rates. How many TS owners are there at Los Cabos?

In our letter I told them as far as I was concerned I wanted to rescind the contract. I believe they actually rescinded our contract because I can no longer login to GBS to our account, however we have not received any notice of that action one way or another. No communication at all. When I try to login to GBS, I get a message that says "There is no contract associated with that email address on file". So...I believe they rescinded our contract because we also haven't received any maintenance fee invoice for 2018. Because of some health issues, our travelling has been severely reduced...especially by plane, so I'm not too torn up about losing the TS. We only had about 4 more uses left on our 20 year Fideicomiso, which technically we should be reimbursed by Hyatt...but we won't sweat the small stuff.

I hope you'll keep us up to date on contacting Hyatt and/or the CPA in MX. Are you in contact with GBS International in Miami for your maintenance fees and usage requests?

jbac

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Baja/Barcelo/HyattZiva
We are in same situation.
2007 purchase.
Recently locked out of account and in process of researching Hyatt management when I stumbled upon this site.

Golfer 1952, did you have any progress with Hyatt management or CPA in MX?

GBS has an F rating on BBB. The Hyatt should be ashamed of having a company like that represent them.

They should also be ashamed of their own actions. On their website, they talk about things like empathy and genuine concern for customers. But they have shown no concern nor empathy for their "owners".