• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt (Welk) Northstar (Truckee/Tahoe)

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I would like to get some feedback from people who have recently stayed at Hyatt Northstar in Truckee, Ca. I'm wondering if they've begun any refurbishments (carpeting, painting, etc.). I've been there twice and I was disappointed with the general condition of the units.

Also, I'm wondering if there are any areas of the resort to either seek out for our unit or any areas to avoid (like if they're doing repairs or construction).

We are exchanging in. Last two times we were there, they put us in the original (older) building. It seemed at the time that exchangers got the lesser desirable units.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was going to PM you but I hadn't gotten around to it. :) We are in building 3, 4th (top) floor. No complaints at all. The unit is beautiful. Carpet looks new. as an exchanger, I have no idea how we landed with this building placement (my only request - as always - is to be anywhere other than the ground floor). They had already made unit placements when I called and couldn't tell me where we had been placed, but said "it definitely isn't the ground floor". I haven't seen any construction on site. Thank goodness after our last experience in Kauai where we were overlooking concrete demo and an actual construction dumpster.

The only "negative" that I can see with this building and also building 2 would be it's proximity to the pools and jacuzzis. They are getting heavy use and it's a bit on the noisy side. But it is to be expected as it is summer and there are a lot of kids here. Once the doors are closed it is plenty quiet.

The only odd thing for us has been the air conditioning. We looked briefly and can't seem to find a thermostat in the living area. It is always nice and cool though. The are thermostats in each bedroom. AC is set at 76, heating is set at 73 and we couldn't figure out how to change them. They seem to be locked on those temps, although we haven't made any attempt to contact the front desk about them. We have been sleeping with the slider open a bit to be comfortable at night and that has worked fine for us. I always prefer to sleep with an open window anyway vs AC that cycles off and on all night but if you need a cooler setting you will have to be smarter than us when figuring out the thermostat.

We have been spending most of our time at our daughter's house in Truckee so we haven't spent much time on site. We stayed here a few times between 2013 and 2015 IIRC and this is still one of my favorite resorts. For us, the location is ideal, but if you are coming to go to Lake Tahoe it is a bit of a drive (20 min?). We have had warm weather so the pool has been nice to have. It is heated to a comfortable temperature.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, we had new, noisy neighbors last night (also smoking cigars) which meant that we had to figure out the thermostat since we had to keep the windows closed. It *was* locked and someone from maintenance had to come to the room to help us reset it. So it wasn't us, lol.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When I was there 3 or 4 years ago we had trouble with the AC. It wouldn't work. It turns out - - based on a Tripadvisor review from a year earlier for the exact same unit - - that the problem had existed for a year and was not corrected. Also, based on the same Tripadvisor review, the carpets hadn't been shampooed in a year. I posted this in a Tug review. Hopefully, with Hyatt in charge, things have changed. Today I asked for a top floor away from the elevators.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
The original building actually has more high end appliances. We had a nice stay there a few years ago. Saw the newer units as well. Fireplace arrangement on the deck in newer units is slightly better.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We asked for a top floor (got 1 floor lower), quiet unit away from elevator (got a unit overlooking the pool but not next to the elevator).

The clock in the 2nd BR didn't work. Apparently the AC plug on back wasn't seated. The family room fireplace wouldn't turn on or off. The knob was stripped and had to be replaced. The TV in the 2nd BR wouldn't work. No signal input. Apparently it has a mind of its own and reverted the input to HDMI 3 or 4. But the control in that room didn't have the ability to change the input. My wife is handicapped and enjoys using the handicapped spot in the underground parking. Unfortunately, the engineering people enjoyed using that spot to store various materials and at one point their engineering vehicle. We alerted the mgmt but it really didn't help.

But the carpets were very clean (the previous 2 times here they were absolutely filthy). Also the linens and bedding was fine. So, I see some improvements since Hyatt took over.
We went to the movie theater in the "village". Very small (which we liked), 2 screens, Acceptable prices. We'll go there next time also.