• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt vs Marriott Interval Exchanging

lauty1981

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I'm in the market for my first timeshare and have been leaning heavily towards purchasing a hyatt resale. The main purpose of our timeshare will be for exchanging in interval. I've done my research and due plan to buy a timeshare at a resort and week I don't mind using, but will mostly be looking to exchange for different spots year to year. I'm attracted to hyatt because I prefer the quality of their brand and the exchange rates on interval (ie the ability to turn one platinum 2br week into two weeks ). My concerns are that we are east coast based and most of the hyatt brand timeshares are west coast, and I am limited in my travel weeks by school aged children. Am I better off looking at marriott due to their high priority exchange in interval and stronger east coast presence? Or have people found it pretty easy to exchange for summer and school vacation weeks with hyatt on interval.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You can just as easily get two weeks from one Marriott ownership as long as you buy a lock off unit. In fact, it might be more flexible because you can pay upgrade fees to upgrade in II to larger units. I don't think you can easily do that with Hyatt because you are exchanging points and points are fixed to the size of the unit you are trading in to.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
If you are limited to travelling during the peak times when kids are out of school, you're going to want Marriott preference and to put in an OGS request a year in advance. If you own Marriott you can still easily trade into many Hyatt's within Interval. I love Hyatt too, but it is expensive to use as a trader.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would select either a Marriott 2 br lock-off or a Westin / Sheraton 2 br lock-off to use as a trader within Interval.
Marriott owners have 1) a discounted exchange fee, and 2) preference when they make an exchange into other Marriotts, and secondary preference when they make an exchange into Westin / Sheraton.
Westin / Sheraton owners have 1) a discounted exchange fee, and 2) preference when they make an exchange into other Westin / Sheratons, and secondary preference when they make an exchange into Marriotts.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hyatt can be a fantastic value when trading into studios and 1 bedrooms (which are much more likely to make it through preference).

Its 430 points for a studio and 870 points for a 1 bedroom. When you get 2200 points for a week, you can get 5 fantastic exchanges.

If you need a 2 bedroom, you should probably go with a Marriott traderr like MGC or Vistana trader (really just SDO).

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
With school-aged children, you're probably going to want to go for 2bd condos.

I've stayed in a bunch of different units, and I can't think of more than a handful of studios and 1bd units where I said, "I'd be totally OK if there were children with me on this trip."

So that means 1300 points in Interval. You'll still have leftover points for a "week for yourselves with the kids staying with gram." But unless you have at least 2600 points (and the two weeks need to be close together so that the points are useful for trading, I don't think it will work well for you. Two diamonds gets you 4400 points, which is three 2bd weeks and enough leftover for a studio (but not a 870 point 1bd.)

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hyatt works well for us in II but we usually only need studios and we prefer to travel off season. We love Hyatt Coconut Plantation also - so Hyatt is a nice blend for us.

I have noticed that although Hyatt can pull anything, i tend to see leftovers. I have not done searches (maybe Scoop would know more about that).

I think HudsHut nailed it. If you need a 2br, and you need to travel in peak season, a 2br Marriott lockoff is your best bet due to Marriott preference. But you are also dependent on getting upgrades to turn your lockoff into two 2brs. Not owning Marriott. i don't know how often you get an upgrade.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hyatt works well for us in II but we usually only need studios and we prefer to travel off season. We love Hyatt Coconut Plantation also - so Hyatt is a nice blend for us.

I have noticed that although Hyatt can pull anything, i tend to see leftovers. I have not done searches (maybe Scoop would know more about that).

I think HudsHut nailed it. If you need a 2br, and you need to travel in peak season, a 2br Marriott lockoff is your best bet due to Marriott preference. But you are also dependent on getting upgrades to turn your lockoff into two 2brs. Not owning Marriott. i don't know how often you get an upgrade.
I would make sure to put in ongoing search requests, but make sure you only select dates and locations that would work for you (no grace period with Hyatt).

I’ve gotten many fantastic trades this way.

This is particularly true with studios in high demand locations / times.

I also own Marriott and Vistana and I’ve never seen something outside of preference that Hyatt can’t see.

However, because preference get first dibs a lot of great trades go to those within preference.

skimeup

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn at the Opera, Grand;view for RCI points - 196000 , Hyatt Carmel, Hyatt Sedona
I was thinking about a one bedroom EUY in Marriott to get preference. Do I have to actually deposit it to obtain the preference? I suppose it would be a different membership from the Hyatt so I wouldn't be able to reserve what I see under the Marriott preference with the Hyatt membership? I do have another trader that could go with a Marriott membership - that might make it work if I can put them in the same membership. Is there a sticky on how Marriott weeks work in II?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I can't speak about how Hyatt compares to other systems, because I've only owned one week of timeshare.

I'm happy with what I get. So I've never had reason to explore any other system.

Kathy Travel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe Sedona AZ
I think I'd go with Marriott. I also live on east coast - and get frustrated with minimal hyatt trading options. Typically I try to trade thru interval -but Marriott owners have preference to other marriott properties thru Interval. Good luck

cfabar1

Reaction score
If you buy Marriott resale, aren’t you only permitted to stay at the property you book into or use Interval?

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
If you buy Marriott resale, aren’t you only permitted to stay at the property you book into or use Interval?

That is correct unless one takes advantage of a special program they offer periodically to enroll the resale unit. It involves buying points or a unit at a particular resort (St Kitts or Aruba as examples.) Depending on the owners situation that can be a good deal. It was for us and many other Tuggers.

Best regards.

Mike

ScoopKona

Reaction score
That is correct unless one takes advantage of a special program they offer periodically to enroll the resale unit. It involves buying points or a unit at a particular resort (St Kitts or Aruba as examples.)

I would rid myself of such a week just to be out of such a system.

I hate the fact this company is now in charge of our system.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

The OP says they want to use interval, and I agree a MVC or Vistana week is probably a better fit in that case. But using Hyatt for points reservations is a lot more flexible of a backup than having a MVC week.

cfabar1

Reaction score

Yes, I think the best thing DVC has going for it, is that it is not run by Marriott. Seeing Hyatt part of this system does make me less excited about Hyatt Residence Club.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think the best thing DVC has going for it, is that it is not run by Marriott. Seeing Hyatt part of this system does make me less excited about Hyatt Residence Club.

DVC excluding resales from all new resorts, and restricting resales at new resorts to only home resort bookings is comparably consumer un-friendly to MVC and their resale restrictions, imo.

cfabar1

Reaction score
Yes, but I think there is a big difference. You can still buy the original DVC properties and use them to stay elsewhere. I’d consider buying OKW, BLT, Aulani, etc. Just wouldn’t consider buying Rivieria resale (and probably direct to be honest).

Marriott only makes sense “new”, but their product is so iffy I wouldn’t consider it.

Hyatt’s system is the best as far as I can tell, but I find the network limited, and doubt Marriott is willing to really invest in the network in a significant way.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score

Scoop - i have a litte different view on Marriott.

The HRC system we bought into was wonderful. HPP is a disaster. However - when Marriott points was rolled out they did a much better job than Hyatt. Marriott points can be resold for market value. Marriott owners can rent their units. There is more - but the lack of those 2 key "features" make HPP an epicly bad deal by throwing you and your money in a hole all while having your hands tied together.

I get harassed by HPP sharks when I check in. I am getting precalls from HPP sharks for upcoming trips. When I go to a Marriott and check in, they ask if i want to attend a presentation and when i say no they do not press it (in fact, i get a deck of cards or a bag - but i usally don't feel hassled).

I don't think at this point Marriott is the issue -its HPP. I suspect they bought Hyatt to get Interval and they are letting us stay separate.

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Scoop - i have a litte different view on Marriott.

The HRC system we bought into was wonderful. HPP is a disaster.

I agree that HPP is a disaster. It's a way for them to sell the same resort twice. And the entire Hyatt culture has been poisoned. Odd that Hyatt salespeople pester you. They never bother with me. There's always the possibility that there's a flag on my account, "Former HRC salesman."

They never even ask if I want an update or presentation.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that HPP is a disaster. It's a way for them to sell the same resort twice. And the entire Hyatt culture has been poisoned. Odd that Hyatt salespeople pester you. They never bother with me. There's always the possibility that there's a flag on my account, "Former HRC salesman."

I mostly go to Coconut Plantatation. The front desk steers me to the sharks to pickup something is need (like a parking pass? - i should remember).

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

Beach House forces you to see the sales sign up folks for the parking pass, which is frustrating.

Wild Oak the sales sign up folk will chase you out of the building demanding you sign up for something. My wife took the kids for a few days at the end of summer and told them her husband was not with so could not do a sales presser… I have now received two emails from the Wild Oak sales folks asking us to come for a presentation.

Any way I can get that “former HRC salesman” flag on my account?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Any way I can get that “former HRC salesman” flag on my account?

Tell them this, verbatim: "DNQ me. I was an OPC for DRI for 20 years." If they ask "where," know the location of some DRI resorts and list them off.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
THANK YOU!

You're very welcome.

That means, in English, "Does Not Qualify me. I know the game. I was a player." OPC stands for "Off Premise Canvasser." They're the people who offer the gifts to take the tours. They make a LOT of money.