• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt VC, Buyer's remorse, too late to cancel?

lisacas1

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie and I purchased a TS with Hyatt Vacation Club at the Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch in San Antonio. I got the copper level 1100 points plan, 2 bedroom for $13K. It's been 3 days and I noticed on my contract that it says I can cancel by the 6th day.

Has anyone ever cancelled their purchase with HVC with success? After looking online and finding better deals I believe I can find something that would better suit my needs and pocket. After reading many posts I noticed people saying do not purchase from the developer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Last edited:

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to look at the paperwork and see what it says you need to do to cancel, then follow the direction exactly before time runs out.

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your instincts are correct. If you are only 3 days into a 6 day recission period, then it is not too late. Rescind now, while you still can. Read your contract and carefully follow the instructions to rescind.

Save yourself thousands of dollars. You can do much better on the resale market.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
There Is No Such Thing As A New Timeshare. (Timeshares Are All Used-Used-Used.)

I noticed people saying do not purchase from the developer.
That's what most people say on TUG-BBS.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Buy resale.

Save $10,000

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen, you can get a 1400 pt. membership for about half of what you paid for 1100 pts on the resale market. Cancel ASAP - don't procrastinate.

lisacas1

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thank you for your replies! It says on the contract

"Purchaser may cancel this Contract before the 6th day after the date the contract is signed or Purchaser receives a copy of this contract..... Your notice of cancellation is effective on the date sent or delivered to ...."

I purchased it on the 23rd. If I send it via overnight mail w/ signature required I should be good.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
No need to send it overnight delivery. Unless it specifically states a different delivery method in the contract, just put together a rescission letter and mail it via USPS Certified mail, with return receipt. It is the date that you send it that counts, not when they receive it. Hyatt is a class act, and you will have no problems canceling your contract, and having your deposit refunded.

After that, if you are still interested in Hyatt, hang around here and learn more about the system and the properties. If at that time you still want to purchase, you can start looking for a resale and save big $$$. And best of all: no salesman pushing you into a deal.

Kurt

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pay for the overnight and the tracking.. Don't take any chances...

Let's see- $13,000 vs $35 in fedex charges... HMMMMMM- What to do, What to do....

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
FedEx, Shmeddex.

Pay for the overnight and the tracking.. Don't take any chances...

Let's see- $13,000 vs $35 in fedex charges... HMMMMMM- What to do, What to do....
What's important is doing it precisely the way it says to do it in the paperwork received from the timeshare company.

It would be a shame to be stuck with the full-freight timeshare because of sending it by FedEx if the rescission instructions plainly say to mail it.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is AwayWeGo implying that the resort can deny the cancellation request if it is sent by another courier than the US Postal Service?? I'm confused by the last post..

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Is AwayWeGo implying that the resort can deny the cancellation request if it is sent by another courier than the US Postal Service?? I'm confused by the last post..
Yes, they can. If it specifies to send it via USPS to a specific address or PO box in the contract, and you send it FedEx, they could technically reject it. Why take the chance? What to do, what to do, ...

No need whatsoever to send it overnight. A registered letter will meet all legal requirements to prove the date when you sent it, which would hold up in any court of law as proof of cancellation. Take the $35 and go out for a dinner, if you feel the need to spend that money. :D

Kurt

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Doing It Their Way.

Pay no attention to me -- I've never even done rescission.

However, I have read here on TUG-BBS over & over that what's important in completing a successful timeshare-purchase rescission is following the timeshare company's rescission instructions to the letter. If they say send it by USPS, then that's how to send it.

If I were doing it, in my semi-compulsive way I'd end up mailing it, faxing it, & FedExing it -- suspenders & a belt & safety pins all 3.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
I cancelled a Hyatt purchase earlier this year after reviewing the contract and discovering that it would not suit our needs. I faxed a cancellation letter as well as sent it certified, return receipt requested to the address and fax number stated on the cancellation instructions form. No problems. Did receive a call from the salesman the next day.

Ingrid

sfsailors

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, they can. If it specifies to send it via USPS to a specific address or PO box in the contract, and you send it FedEx, they could technically reject it. Why take the chance? What to do, what to do, ...

No need whatsoever to send it overnight. A registered letter will meet all legal requirements to prove the date when you sent it, which would hold up in any court of law as proof of cancellation. Take the $35 and go out for a dinner, if you feel the need to spend that money. :D

Kurt

I would do everything. Who care for $35 when you risk $10,000 on the line.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I would probably Express Mail it with some sort of delivery confirmation, and also send a fax, just to take care of this ASAP. However, as others here have said, Hyatt is a class act, so I suspect that any reasonable method of getting the rescission to them will work.

somerville

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many rescission laws are written to provide that only Certified Mail gets the benefit of the date of mailing being the date the rescission is effective. A FedEx shipment under those laws would not be effective until received. If a buyer waited until the last day to FedEx a rescission notice, it would not be received in a timely manner, yet the Certified Mail rescission mailed the same day, but received several days later, would be effective. The key is to know and follow the law of the jurisdiction that governs the rescission. Some states have updated their laws to permit newer forms of notification.