• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt trading INTO Lake Tahoe?

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Bear, Hyatt Vacation Club (Hyatt Highlands), Marriott (Grand Chateau)
I read (on Tug) that it is hard to use Hyatt points to trade into the Lake Tahoe properties? These properties don't match up even when you put in a request 6 months to a year out?

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I read (on Tug) that it is hard to use Hyatt points to trade into the Lake Tahoe properties? These properties don't match up even when you put in a request 6 months to a year out?

Are you looking to trade internally or through II? No exp with II into Tahoe, so I can speak to that.

Trading into High Sierra ski weeks is tough but doable, you'd probably have to set up a waitlist a year ahead and might have to wait 6 months. January is easier. High Sierra summer weeks seem tougher to me- I've not looked methodically for these but when I look every now and then I rarely see availability. Maybe 50-50 chance with a waitlist, just an educated guess. High Sierra Sept-Dec and April-June would be easy, I assume.

I would expect very little availability at Northstar, but truthfully I've never looked, for some reason the place holds zero appeal to me.

H

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
Using Hyatt points I see this availability at the HSL for 3 night stays through the end of sept:

Unit Check in Date Check out Date Nights Points
2BR Sat Apr 30, 2011 Tue May 03, 2011 3 880
2BR Sat May 07, 2011 Tue May 10, 2011 3 880
2BR Sat May 14, 2011 Tue May 17, 2011 3 880
2BR Sat May 21, 2011 Tue May 24, 2011 3 880
2BR Sat May 28, 2011 Tue May 31, 2011 3 1120
2BR Sat Jun 04, 2011 Tue Jun 07, 2011 3 1120
2BR Sat Jun 11, 2011 Tue Jun 14, 2011 3 1120
2BR Sat Aug 20, 2011 Tue Aug 23, 2011 3 1200
2BR Sat Sep 17, 2011 Tue Sep 20, 2011 3 920
2BR Sat Sep 24, 2011 Tue Sep 27, 2011 3 920

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
That August weekend is a sweetie pie, someone grab it!

H

D2-S3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Northstar Lodge

I stayed at Northstar last June. It was a fabulous property, and we had a blast. Location in summer is not ideal, but it was still great.

natstr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been successful trading into Hyatt High Sierra twice now for the first week of August -- but I do put in the request over 1 year out and get on the waiting list. It helps that my Sedona week is in April for getting on the wait list for a summer trip a year out.

First time, I got my request filled pretty quick -- maybe 11 months out. For this upcoming summer I didn't get confirmation until the 6 month mark -- but had called to check on my waitlist and the Hyatt rep told me to be patient and confident that my request would get filled at the six month mark, which it did.

Paul

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trade in II?

Depending on the season and size of unit needed it may be "cheaper" to trade via II into a non-Hyatt property in Lake Tahoe. I would recommend Marriott's Timber Lodge, Marriott's Grand Residence Club, or the Ridge Tahoe. These resorts are in, or closer to, South Lake Tahoe while Hyatt High Sierra lodge is on the north shore and Hyatt Northstar is near Truckee.

Have fun, Tahoe is a great summertime and winter destination.

-TJ