• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt to Interval Pts?!?!

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Bear, Hyatt Vacation Club (Hyatt Highlands), Marriott (Grand Chateau)
Got an email from Hyatt that I should deposit my 200 pts with interval international. I come to find out that in order to do a “short stay” I need to upgrade my Interval membership (pay more money) to do that.

Opinion: Anyone have experience with the short stays? Is it worth it? Availability? Not sure what else I can do with my 200 pts.

zcrider

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
can't you rent them to someone else? Is it enough to book a night or two somewhere and rent out the days that way??

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You cannot rent out II exchanges.

Most of the short stay inventory is off season in areas with a lot of inventory - you can see it on the II website without upgrading your membership.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Got an email from Hyatt that I should deposit my 200 pts with interval international. I come to find out that in order to do a “short stay” I need to upgrade my Interval membership (pay more money) to do that.

Opinion: Anyone have experience with the short stays? Is it worth it? Availability? Not sure what else I can do with my 200 pts.

I don't think you need to upgrade your II membership in order to book a short stay. I am able to see short stays with my normal Hyatt II membership. I've never tried to book one, but it would seem strange that I could search them and not book them.

My experience so far is that the short stay exchanges are not such a great value. You have to pay a full exchange fee no matter how many nights you book, they tend to be available on relatively short notice and the resorts tend to be places you could rent pretty inexpensively.

However, your HVC points will be good in II for 2 years after your deeded week. For example, if you are getting this email now, your deeded week is probably in July. That means the points in question will be good in II until July 2013. So if you decide to use anything less than your deeded week within the next 2 years, you could just deposit enough into II to top off your 200 points- for example 230 more to get a red studio through II- and they will not go to waste, This is probably a better use of those 200 points.

If II does not work for you, obviously you can also use those points to book a 4 night midweek HVC stay silver season somewhere. Even though your deadline to deposit with II is coming up, you can use those points in the HVC for 10 months still- 6 months past the date of your deeded week.

H

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think you need to upgrade your II membership in order to book a short stay. I am able to see short stays with my normal Hyatt II membership. I've never tried to book one, but it would seem strange that I could search them and not book them.
H

This is interesting. I had a conversation yesterday about this very subject with a supervisor (George) at Hyatt's II desk. He told me that you can only book 7-nights stays in II with the Hyatt corporate membership. He said that short stays are only available to Gold and Platinum members, but I could pay to upgrade. Maybe this is why you could see it, as an incentive to upgrade. Regardless, George also said most short stay exchanges are in places with lots of excessive inventory (Orlando & Vegas) and usually show up 60 -90 days before check-in. They are usually not available 8-12 months in advance, are not available in peak season or high demand locations like Hawaii. This doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

-TJ

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Well, it's a good thing the short stays have never appealed, then! They really seem like the units are equivalent to $70/night hotel rooms to me.

H