• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Residence Club Ka'anapali for a gimpy old lady?

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Hi all

I've been torn on trying to get a week at the Hyatt Ka'anapli and this year had found some appealing reservations at Highlands Inn, so I decided to skip it.

Then... this morning there was a 3BR sitting in online inventory for next May, so I cancelled one of the Highlands Inn reservations and booked the 3BR. Might not have that chance again.

My mother turns 80 this year, so I'm thinking of inviting her to celebrate that milestone and perhaps let her choose who stays in the 3rd BR.

BUT Mom has mobility issues- bad back, bad knees, bad shoulder and is overweight. How easy it is to get around the property? Is there a lot of walking? How convenient is the parking?

I'd hate to invite her if its just going to be a struggle for her....

Also, do I recall that all the 3BR units are ocean view?

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
I’m in the Denver airport right now on the way non stop to Maui and the Hyatt Kaanapali. Club. Will be there in about 10 hours. I will observe and let you know what I see re your question concerning access. I would assume that since it is new that it would be ADA COMPLIANT. I was there the day it opened but I was not paying attention to ease of Access. I will let you know as soon as I can. Regards. PERRY I plan to ride the local bus (s) from the airport to the club. For $3. ( senior fare). Just don’t feel like paying $459 for a car for the week since I have seen all of Maui before.

socaltimeshare

TUG Member
Reaction score
All 3BR are ocean view. They are also the farthest from the lobby (literally the last room on each level away from the lobby) so a little more walking but I would think manageable. Overall it's a small property although you do have access to the larger Hyatt Regency next door. I think your mom would enjoy just sitting on the very large lanai. The views are wonderful. Parking is free valet. If mobility became an issue you always have the option of rental a scooter, wheelchair or walker- https://www.mauimobility.com/DOCS/rate-sheet.pdf.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heathpack, you might consider renting your mom a mobility scooter for her time there. When my DW needed that level of assistance, we got one for her on a cruise ship. It was in our cabin when we checked in and we left it there when we disembarked. I assume there is such a program at Ka'anapali. They're also available for rent at theme parks, but that's a different subject for a different thread.

You might also just call and pose your questions to the desk. They would have all those answers- or maybe the ability to reserve an accessible suite.

One thing that makes travel easier for the challenged is to remember to bring one's Handicap Parking placard. Just remember to take it back home with you.

Jim

Last edited:

eddeeeee

Reaction score
All parking is valet, so you are getting out at the front door. It is a very short walk to the elevator and a very short walk from there to the 3 bedroom unit. The property itself is small and easy to walk around. There are no restaurants on property ( there is a bar and coffee shop ) so that will require at least a walk to the Hyatt next door. The three bedroom units are the closest units to the ocean and have amazing views, she may not want to leave the unit.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope to be invited to celebrate my 80th Birthday in Hawaii.

Has your mom had other times when she was willing to use a wheelchair? It will make a huge difference +++ if she will use one while in airport and at property.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
I hope to be invited to celebrate my 80th Birthday in Hawaii.

Has your mom had other times when she was willing to use a wheelchair? It will make a huge difference +++ if she will use one while in airport and at property.

She’ll use one in the airport but generally not elsewhere. She might be open to it but she’s a tricky one. If we organize it and there’s any issues with it (mostly I’m envisioning it bothering her back) she will not hesitate to blame my husband and I. Not explicitly blame us so much as hold us responsible- expecting us to call the wheelchair people, swap it out, make it right and generally spend a lot of time dealing with the issue when in the end it will likely be not an issue with the wheelchair so much as her perception of the wheelchair. Hopefully that makes sense.

Ditto for a scooter. If we organize one to make things easier for her, then we “own” any dissatisfaction she has with it.

It’s very unlikely she would organize anything on her own behalf.

In short, her MO is to pretty much always be dissatisfied. It’s a way to force us into making her the center of everything, because that’s what she feels is her due, de facto, being the mother.

My idea about having her invite a friend is that she has some pretty normal friends and she behaves quite normally around them. It could make the whole trip much more pleasant and also give us some breathing room.

We’re still thinking if it’s worth going there with the Mom invite. Sometimes with my mother things like that are just more trouble than they’re worth.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Hi all

I've been torn on trying to get a week at the Hyatt Ka'anapli and this year had found some appealing reservations at Highlands Inn, so I decided to skip it.

Then... this morning there was a 3BR sitting in online inventory for next May, so I cancelled one of the Highlands Inn reservations and booked the 3BR. Might not have that chance again.

My mother turns 80 this year, so I'm thinking of inviting her to celebrate that milestone and perhaps let her choose who stays in the 3rd BR.

BUT Mom has mobility issues- bad back, bad knees, bad shoulder and is overweight. How easy it is to get around the property? Is there a lot of walking? How convenient is the parking?

I'd hate to invite her if its just going to be a struggle for her....

Also, do I recall that all the 3BR units are ocean view?
There are ADA rooms and there is free valet. It is very handicapped friendly. We took my brother this summer and he did fine

cafeirene

TUG Member
Reaction score
My two cents - Hyatt Ka'anapali is far more accessible than Highlands Inn Carmel. Many of the units at Carmel have steps, sometimes a series, and of course any two bedroom unit has an internal stairway. Take Maui by all means - the property there is very much more accessible, and if necessary, friendly to a scooter. My recollection is also that the end units on the 3 brdm side are actually slightly shorter distance than the 1 Bdrm units on the opposite side from the elevator;-) Th walkway between the resort and the ocean is level, paved and extends the entire resort area up past Whalers where many of the restaurants are, and you can catch a shuttle altho you do have to walk to get that. The kitchens are actually quite nice to use as well.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Your mom will love Maui. The upper echelon of resorts are very accommodating and will offer a wheelchair if needed. I know because I almost passed out in the gym at Westin Nanea, and the security guard saw me, I think they saw me on camera, and I had a man run into the room to help me. It was pretty obvious what happened to me, and Rick was sure I had just gotten dehydrated during my bike ride. We had walked around the resort for quite a while, and it was very hot outside, probably 95 degrees that day. After our walk, we went to the gym/exercise room. I was already overheated. I didn't drink much water, then got on the bike for 45 minutes. I couldn't get off of the thing at first, couldn't lift my leg high enough to get off. I had Rick with me, he is an EMT, but they had a wheelchair in the hallway. I think the response time was 3 minutes or less. So strange for me to get that much attention for such a minor thing.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Heathpack, you will find HKB very ADA friendly. We just got back from our Week 39 in an ADA 2/2. You will be amazed at how beautiful the units are and the size of the Lanai. My wife is in a wheelchair and she had a great time. We had zero issues because of her disability. Also, she can’t stay sit in the sun for long periods, but is fine as long as she is in the pool. Every morning the pool crew put owners towels on 4 lounges that were in the shade all day to make sure she got one. We walked to Whalers Village everyday (sometimes twice), and all over several of the resorts between the Hyatt and WV, no issues whatsoever. We went into Lahaina several times and had no issues there as well. We took a sunset dinner sail and the crew made her feel like a queen.
We did do a lot of walking, so I would definitely consider renting (or bringing) a wheelchair or scooter. Your Mother will love it (especially the Lanai and the view).

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
Just walked the Ka'anapali residence Club property today and the Hyatt Hotel. Residence club is very accessible to all features as far as I could tell. The Hyatt hotel itself might present a few problems, especially to and around the outside pool areas. . But the club is very accessible. It should be since it is new design etc. The hotel is over 30 years old. PPK

SunsetMaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House
Disney Bay Lake
Disney Animal Kingdom
Disney Grand Floridian
Hi - we just checked out today. I’ll echo what a lot of people are saying already.

It’s a much smaller property than most in Maui (131 units versus 390 at Nanea, 900 at Westin Kaanapali for example). It’s valet only (free) so it’s a short walk after that to the elevators (compared to most resorts).

All 3 bedrooms are stacked on the far right corner as you enter the hotel. And yes they all have an ocean view and huge patio.

One reason I prefer Hyatt over the Westin nanea (we also stayed there this trip) is how compact everything is comparatively. We have 2 kids - 1 and 4 so it was much more convenient and accessible with our stroller. It’s also much easier to get to the broadwalk from the hotel with a stroller. Clear path and bridge.

The hot tub also has a great sunset view. They also have an adult only tub on the same side as the 3 bedrooms. If you end up being able to snag the 1st floor 3 bedroom, then it’s just a walk from the patio out to the pool deck. No need to go back through the lobby.