• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Points Missing

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a bit of a confusing situation, but here's what happened:

Back in July, I made a booking using 2021 points for a check in at a ski resort in April of 2021. We live close by, and we were excited to get the trade -- it isn't one that pops up often. I booked it, received the confirmation e-mail and everything looked good. It cost me 800 points.

A day or two later when I logged into my Hyatt account and looked at my reservations and it was no longer there. The points were still gone and I certainly didn't receive a refund on my booking fee. I wasn't sure what to think. I called and spoke to a CSR and she said that while it was odd that my reservation didn't display in my account, everything looked fine on her end. I still felt a little uneasy about it, but I was OK with that (I didn't think I would need to cancel this reservation -- so as long as it looked like I could check in, I was OK with it).

The ski resorts released their calendars recently and the ski season is closing a full week earlier than earlier years. I decided to cancel since the ski resorts wouldn't be open.

Since I couldn't do so online (becauseI couldn't see the reservation), I decided to call in. They were able to cancel the reservation, but the points weren't refunded to my account. They asked me a couple of questions and said "Wait was that in a WAITLIST state?", and I said "I don't think so -- it still took my points, and I have the confirmation e-mail" then they asked if they were "Gift Points" (I have no idea what that is), but I said they were not. Then they asked if they were 2020 points, and I said that they were definitely 2021 points (I can still see that they were on my activity) and I wouldn't have cancelled if they were 2020 points. The rep was very nice and agreed that I must have been the victim of some type of glitch, but he had ZERO clue how to fix.

I was on the phone for probably 30 minutes, and he said that they would be restored to my account overnight. I was told this with COVID cancellations (spoiler alert -- that never happened - but they decided to change the policy after they told me they would be restored to CUP, and instead they were restored to RCUP...water under the bridge at this point, just frustrating that they told me one thing and did another).

The points aren't there and I would be absolutely SHOCKED if they are there in the morning. They had promised me refunds (booking fees) from some other issues with the system, but I still haven't received the refunds. It worked out because they took notes that they owed me a credit, and I booked something else in it's place....so it was a wash, but still frustrating. It just indicates to me that there are some serious issues with their system.

How would you proceed? I am not happy about 800 points essentially being lost. I don't know how this gets fixed short of them having an IT engineer restore them in their backend database which could take weeks. Should I see if they can make a reservation of equivalent points and somehow waive the points requirements?

This feels like something I could be calling back in on for weeks on end, and I just don't have the energy to deal with this -- even though I will because I want those points back. Would you try to ask for some type of concession? I.E. I am going to make these bookings, will you waive the booking fees because I've had to spend so much time dealing with this?

Just as a bit of information, I am a web developer (brace yourself, this gets nerdy), but when I looked at the JSON after the reservation disappeared from my account, I could see that the reservation was in a status of "WAITLISTED". Reservations that displayed on my account showed a status of "BOOKED".

It's almost like the points were deducted, I received a confirmation and probably one or two days later someone or some process changed it to a waitlisted state (I do remember seeing the reservation in my reservation lists at some point)....even though they never returned the points to my account. It's all so frustrating.

Any other advice you want to share? I realize this is a complete fluke, but it's still maddening.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure there is anything that you can do other than wait out the resolution.

Hyatt usually does the right thing. You are right that their IT system is limited, but I've had points disappear once before, and they were credited back. It took a few days, I did spend over an hour total on the phone, but they got it right.

So I'd just wait it out. Yes, its frustrating. If you have something you need to book now, you always can see if a supervisor can hold it for you until this gets sorted.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure there is anything that you can do other than wait out the resolution.

Hyatt usually does the right thing. You are right that their IT system is limited, but I've had points disappear once before, and they were credited back. It took a few days, I did spend over an hour total on the phone, but they got it right.

So I'd just wait it out. Yes, its frustrating. If you have something you need to book now, you always can see if a supervisor can hold it for you until this gets sorted.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ryan

Thanks. That’s actually a relief that someone has had something similar happen. I checked and the points are still missing as I suspected. I’ll update as a I know more.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, so this may be a case of "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me", but the plot thickens:

Like a lot of you, I have restricted / LCUP points related to COVID cancellations, so I typically check on availability in the afternoon to see if there are any cancellations (there have been A LOT this year as you would expect). Anyways, the perfect dates matched up for me (we were already going to be in the location and this is certainly an upgraded resort).

I received the confirmation, and it was like deja vu....when I clicked to view my reservations, the reservation was nowhere in sight. I called 800 GO HYATT and they assured me that the booking was confirmed (but they did say it didn't look right on their end). I was of course skeptical because of what had happened.

I then received a call a couple of hours later from the combined Vistana / HRC Corporate office that let me know that they had to cancel the reservation that I had just made. They left a voice mail, and I checked my Hyatt account and the points were still missing.

I called and explained the whole situation. They explained the booking from today was caused because the manager of the resort was making room assignments -- they are supposed to put it in a state that prevents it from being booked, but they did not. My booking confirmed, the manager realized her error and immediately reached out to Corporate because there wasn't any actual availability. They handled the situation very well, and while I was disappointed, I understand the dilemma.

However, I am now down the 800 points related to the story above, and now I'm out even more points, because the person who cancelled my reservation doesn't have the ability to credit points to my account. They have requested a "Points Audit" and they assure me that everything will be made right...which I am certain will happen at some point, but it's still frustrating. These points don't have much life on them, and the clock is ticking. Those 800 points were tied up in a reservation that was never going to be fulfilled (as I now learned from this other case).

I must have absolutely horrible luck.

Should I ask if the points can be extended? Even a month or two would be incredible helpful. Normally, I wouldn't ask, but because of the timing on those 800 points, I have a lot of reservations using points that are completely backwards (i.e. points that expire later have been used on reservations that are earlier).

Do you think they would rebalance the points used for certain reservations?

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, you do have bad luck.

There is no harm in asking for an extension, though I think all you are really entitled to is reverting you back to the state of your account prior to the issue. It would be a different story if they had tied up the points for weeks but they called you a couple hours later to let you know that the reservation was in error. That several hour delay isn't material in my book -- it didn't caused those points to be restricted in the first place. And a few hours didn't materially prevent you from making a reservation within that window.

IMHO, you should ask for the extension -- just don't expect to get it. If you find something that you needed the points to book with, I know Corporate put something on hold until everything is sorted with your account and you can use those points. Good luck and hope you get what you want!

-ryan

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, you do have bad luck.

There is no harm in asking for an extension, though I think all you are really entitled to is reverting you back to the state of your account prior to the issue. It would be a different story if they had tied up the points for weeks but they called you a couple hours later to let you know that the reservation was in error. That several hour delay isn't material in my book -- it didn't caused those points to be restricted in the first place. And a few hours didn't materially prevent you from making a reservation within that window.

IMHO, you should ask for the extension -- just don't expect to get it. If you find something that you needed the points to book with, I know Corporate put something on hold until everything is sorted with your account and you can use those points. Good luck and hope you get what you want!

-ryan
Thanks! That's good advice. There really isn't anyone at fault -- it's bad luck and people make mistakes.

Essentially my 800 points were tied up since the middle of July in a reservation that was never going to be fulfilled....it wasn't until after this new issue bit me that I (and the rep from corporate) realized what likely happened in that case....they had the exact same signature, the only thing that was different is no one followed up with corporate on my booking from July. In a way, I am almost glad that the ski resorts shut down a week earlier, otherwise, I probably wouldn't have found out until a week or two before check in.

If they could extend them or adjust in some way that would be awesome, but at this point I'll be happy if they just get returned ASAP, so I can book something else before they expire. Heck, even if they just treated them like COVID points (except for the ones that are in CUP) I think it would be reasonably fair.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:
I spoke with the same rep who was sympathetic, but unfortunately isn't able to resolve the issue. She let me know that she opened a ticket, and that it was closed, but agrees that it wasn't resolved.

I'm at a bit of a loss for next steps. I hate calling to badger them and wasting everyone's time, but every time I have been told it will get fixed it hasn't been. I missed out on a couple of reservations that were available over the weekend.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:
I spoke with the same rep who was sympathetic, but unfortunately isn't able to resolve the issue. She let me know that she opened a ticket, and that it was closed, but agrees that it wasn't resolved.

I'm at a bit of a loss for next steps. I hate calling to badger them and wasting everyone's time, but every time I have been told it will get fixed it hasn't been. I missed out on a couple of reservations that were available over the weekend.
I'd badger them. Typically, front line rep on phone can't do anything. I had to have a supervisor open a case and corporate resolved the situation after pulling the recording of my initial call.

Based on your info, you are entitled to get the points back (restricted).

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you need to badger them. It sounds like they owe you the original 800 CUP points back and then the restricted points also - and a refund of any fees as none of this was a cancellation on your part. I would escalate as suggested.

At this point I would be afraid to make any reservations - it sounds like until this is all resolved the online system is confused.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Apparently a ticket for IT has been created. I have called back a few times this week, and each time I have been told that they will follow-up with me at the end of the day with a status, and I have yet to hear any status. I have always been courteous and patient, but but I am starting to get really annoyed as I have missed out on quite a few reservations. I am starting to lose faith that this will get resolved without escalation.

I really hate to be "that guy", particularly given that I do feel that the representative I have been working with has been as helpful as she is able to be, but she simply doesn't have the ability to fix it (nor should she -- it would be a pandora's box if representatives could just add points to people's accounts).

Has anyone successfully escalated an issue with HRC?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Apparently a ticket for IT has been created. I have called back a few times this week, and each time I have been told that they will follow-up with me at the end of the day with a status, and I have yet to hear any status. I have always been courteous and patient, but but I am starting to get really annoyed as I have missed out on quite a few reservations. I am starting to lose faith that this will get resolved without escalation.

I really hate to be "that guy", particularly given that I do feel that the representative I have been working with has been as helpful as she is able to be, but she simply doesn't have the ability to fix it (nor should she -- it would be a pandora's box if representatives could just add points to people's accounts).

Has anyone successfully escalated an issue with HRC?
I'm not a Hyatt owner (so take this with a grain of salt) - but don't worry about being "that guy". You are helping them by pointing out a problem in their programming that they must not be aware of. There's no other way for them to find out unless someone reports it. You are doing them a favor ;)

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I called and I was annoying, but I didn't feel like I was being rude, I just really pressed the matter.

The points are back for both of those now cancelled reservations. Thank goodness, and I hope it doesn't happen again.

It could be that the IT ticket that has been open for the last week+ was finally worked on, but I am guessing that the rep pushed a bit harder for them to prioritize it. I hope they call me back so I can thank them.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:
I called and I was annoying, but I didn't feel like I was being rude, I just really pressed the matter.
The points are back for both of those now cancelled reservations. Thank goodness, and I hope it doesn't happen again.

Now I hope you can make a reservation without it happening again o_O