• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt - Missing out by buying resale?

cabogirl

Reaction score
Hi:
My husband and I are finalizing a purchase of a unit in Key West. We are not
familiar with the Hyatt Gold Passport and were told we cannot participate in the exchange program. Is this an important perk? Does it affect our exchange with II? Our friends bought a Marriott and they always talk about the points. I did not feel this was that big of a deal but wanted to be certain before we close.

Thank you for all of your opinions!

copper

TUG Member
Reaction score
cabogirl said:
Hi:
My husband and I are finalizing a purchase of a unit in Key West. We are not
familiar with the Hyatt Gold Passport and were told we cannot participate in the exchange program. Is this an important perk? Does it affect our exchange with II? Our friends bought a Marriott and they always talk about the points. I did not feel this was that big of a deal but wanted to be certain before we close.

Thank you for all of your opinions!

I am a member of the Hyatt Gold Passport. It is a loyalty program for the hotel side of the Hyatt properties. I'm not sure if it's tied to the timeshare side or not. I'm not a Hyatt owner (I do have one with Marriott) and for me the potential extra benefit of 'points' is far outweighed by buying a resale at a much cheaper price. Others here will speak of the 'points' benefit, if there is one, with Hyatt Gold Passport.

Lee B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember that the more "special things" they offer to buyers from the developer, the more they are saying that you will get scr*wed when you try to sell it. Those perks are almost always good talking points that don't amount to much compared to the much lower resale price.

steve1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin: Mission Hills, Desert Willow, Riverfront Mtn Villas, Kierland, Flex
Marriott: Grande Ocean, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs
Hyatt: Beach House, Coconut Plantation, High Sierra Lodge,
Four Seasons: Aviara, Scottsdale.
Royal Haciendas
If you buy resale the only thing you give up is the opportunity to convert the usage to Hyatt Gold passport points. If you want to exchange through II there is no difference if you bought resale or from the developer. Personally, I don't think the opportunity to convert to Hyatt Gold Passport points is all that attractive since, depending on the value of your week, it would only convert to anywhere from 3-6 nights in a standard hotel room at a level 4 Hyatt hotel (more nights for lower level Hyatts). While the ability to convert to points for stays in hotels is nice to have (and I have purchased from other developers for that very reason) - with Hyatt I think the conversion to hotel points alternative is less attractive and may not be worth the price differential - but that is something you need to evaluate based on how you might utilize the HVC.

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
We also purchased a Hyatt resale in Key West. I would not advise buying from the developer just to get the Hyatt Gold passport option. It is really not a good use of your points, unless you have 10,000 dollars that you really do not need. You will save major dollars by purchasing a resale and it will NOT affect how Hyatt or II treats you. We just got a trade for 1300 Hyatt points into Breckenridge at the The Grand Timber Lodge for spring break skiing in 2007. It is a huge unit, that sleeps eight and would have cost us 4000.00 dollars to rent. We still have points left over to go to Key West this August. The folks at Hyatt filled this exchange request in 6 days! I was shocked and very happy. We also own a floating week in Grand Cayman that has to trade with RCI. It is night and day between the systems - do no lose any sleep over your Hyatt purhcase. If you purchased at a fair price - you will be a happy camper. Just use those points and spend some time asking quesitons. The Hyatt point system is a little hard - but it does work. Just do not be afarid to ask questions - you can call Hyatt and they will answer any questions.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone has contributed very sound advice.
Currently, the Hyatt set up is that you're not penalized for buying resale.
I purchased resale, 1300 pts, for $3200+closing, and could not be more pleased. I am treated as other owners are (both resale & developer purchasers) except for the exclusion of participating in Hyatt Passport Points which doesn't impact me at all. It's a differnt scenario with Marriott whose points/travel program is a real benefit and a true "gimme" when purchasing IMHO, however, there are those major $$$ to part with.
My advice is to buy resale when buying Hyatt . Also, it's a great trader.
Owner HHdM: week 40, 4th floor.
Beags

Last edited:

GCB

Reaction score
Beaglemom3 said:
I purchased resale, 1300 pts, for $3200+closing, and could not be more pleased.

Where did you find 1300 points for $3200?

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
GCB said:
Beaglemom3 said:
I purchased resale, 1300 pts, for $3200+closing, and could not be more pleased.

Where did you find 1300 points for $3200?

It's a long and harrowing story, however, I prevailed. Three years ago I started my search with www.vacationsonly.com . I found a distress sale and made a full price offer which the seller accepted. Hyatt exercised their ROFR, but rescinded it a couple days later. Closing took forever, about a year, this being Puerto Rico and complying with Napoleonic Law. No kidding, I could not purchase this on my own, my husband had to sign !! Anyway, there are bargains out there if you can dodge the developer exercising ROFR.
So, look for the distress sales or just make some kind of offer. Who knows, maybe you'll hit the right seller who just wants to bail and/or doesn't want to pay maintenance fees or needs ready cash.
Perseverance !
Late edit to say: To borrow from one of favorite movies (L.A. Story), it may take a compass, pick axe and night vision glasses to find one.
Beags

Last edited: