• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Key West Sunset Beach purchase...

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Newport Coast, Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club, Villa Del Palmar Cancun, El Cid Marina & Yacht Club, Four Seasons Aviara
I'm considering purchasing at Hyatt Sunset Beach. My concern is regarding the condition of the property after the recent storms and hurricanes. Do you think there is an impending special assessment that may be imposed?

I'd love to get this property, but if a huge assessment is in the future, I'll have to reconsider.

Would love any input.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I'm considering purchasing at Hyatt Sunset Beach. My concern is regarding the condition of the property after the recent storms and hurricanes. Do you think there is an impending special assessment that may be imposed?

I'd love to get this property, but if a huge assessment is in the future, I'll have to reconsider.

Would love any input.
Even if there isn't an assessment due to the storm, an assessment can occur at any time. Emergencies pop up for many reasons. Assessments should be considered one of the fees that can happen when you own a timeshare.

I think it will take time to see if an impending special assessment will be imposed due to the hurricane as costs to fix versus insurance payments and reserves available will probably take awhile to figure out.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
The annual assessment for 2017 has been increased to bring forward some planned maintenance, some of which may be repairing damage. Besides the landscaping damage, there was some water infiltration, the extend of the damage was called minimal. No one while I stopped in October was saying anything about special assessments, but that desen't mean it will not happen.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
The annual assessment for 2017 has been increased to bring forward some planned maintenance, some of which may be repairing damage. Besides the landscaping damage, there was some water infiltration, the extend of the damage was called minimal.

The building damage from Irma was limited to water intrusion in units 111, 121 and 131 - water infiltrated thru the sliding glass door in 131 and affected approximately the first 6 feet of each unit in the stack. No special assessment is expected or even rumored due to Irma.

Sunset Harbor's reserve funding in the yearly MF has been increased over the past 3 years to fund the construction activity during the summer of 2018.

Work will start in June on the demo & replacement of both existing wooden pergolas at the pool. A new walkway will be constructed from the back gate (by the laundry/housekeeping area) to each of the new covered pergolas. The project will provide handicap access to the pergolas and spa area. The project will also rework/add some landscape plantings. The pool is expected to be closed a minimum of 6 weeks.

Renovation of unit bathrooms will start in June of 2018. Building 1 will be closed for a month as they renovate the bathrooms. Will move to the bathrooms of Building 2 and continue building by building work and finish up Building 5 in September. The bathroom reno will remove the jetted tub from the master bedroom of the townhouse units and replace it with closest space.

While each building is shut down for the bathroom reno, they be replacing carpet in the units during this time.

While each building is shut down, they will also be replacing the wood decking on each unit balcony and the exterior walkways.

All work to be complete by October 1, 2018. This will be the end of major projects at Sunset Harbor for several years.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Newport Coast, Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club, Villa Del Palmar Cancun, El Cid Marina & Yacht Club, Four Seasons Aviara
Thank you very much! Great info. I realize that special assessments can come at any time, but since I don't own any timeshares in hurricane zones, I just wanted to get an idea of how that would work.

Sounds like a lot of improvements are coming!

Again, thanks for all the details!