• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Kaanapali

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
My sister just canceled a 1 bedroom June 8th week. We'll be there in a 2 bedroom despite the pool construction. Just a heads up if anyone wants to grab it.

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
Hi we are staying there the same time in 1 bedroom for the first time. I got it through redweek and it's resort view, not the ocean but still very very happy. It was my dream place to visit for a long time.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi we are staying there the same time in 1 bedroom for the first time. I got it through redweek and it's resort view, not the ocean but still very very happy. It was my dream place to visit for a long time.
You will love it!

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you! They call me yesterday and asked if I have any request or preferences. I asked for an ocean view, haha and earlier check in time.
Good luck

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
I got a call and offer to attend owner's update. We are not owners there and I told them but they still offer 90 min presentation. We attended 2 before for Marriott. Hyatt offered $200 resort credit, golf tickets, sunset cruise or luau. Seems as luau is $200/person which seems to me a great offer. Would you recommend to attend it as we will have plenty of time.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a call and offer to attend owner's update. We are not owners there and I told them but they still offer 90 min presentation. We attended 2 before for Marriott. Hyatt offered $200 resort credit, golf tickets, sunset cruise or luau. Seems as luau is $200/person which seems to me a great offer. Would you recommend to attend it as we will have plenty of time.

We took the cash, I believe they give us $200 gift cards in 12/2024. $200 in visa cards > 2 hotel luau tix, imo. See if that is available, I'll bet is. We made our reservation for the sales pitch after we arrived. Incidentally, for the second time in a row, they had no one available for us at our appointed time so we just picked up our gift cards and got a warm hug goodbye. Same happened at Pinon Pointe last year, haha. They offered us $200 for the presentation, I told them $250 and they agreed, and when we showed up they had no salespeople available, so we just got our gift cards and a hug. In both cases, we still pushed for someone to show us the units anyway. At HRC Maui, it was because we really wanted to see the layout of the 1BR ocean view, and in Sedona, it was because we wanted to see what the renovated rooms looked like since our unit was not renovated and was literally on its last legs.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
If you plan a day with nothing to do and can say “no” that can be a good value. Some people place more value on their vacation time, so won’t attend. Whatever works for you is good.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you plan a day with nothing to do and can say “no” that can be a good value. Some people place more value on their vacation time, so won’t attend. Whatever works for you is good.
In fairness, the presentation doesn't take a day. You wake up, walk over, have a piece of fruit and a cup of coffee, and walk away with $200 in some form. I totally get that some people value the hour or two it takes differently, and that's totally understandable. For us, the presentations are generally super pleasant, the last 2 times we did not even get a presentation due to salesperson shortage, so we just got gift cards. Whenever we do get a presentation, we are actively engaged in conversation and usually they don't even get to the part where they show us a price. They can just tell it's not gonna happen, and so it's mostly conversation. But that's us. If someone has a hard time saying no, it could be a very, very, expensive set of gift cards.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They are low pressure at Hyatt. The luau is not great. My son and his wife went. We did the dinner sunset cruise. It was very fun, maybe 40 extra for dinner

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
We took the cash, I believe they give us $200 gift cards in 12/2024. $200 in visa cards > 2 hotel luau tix, imo. See if that is available, I'll bet is. We made our reservation for the sales pitch after we arrived. Incidentally, for the second time in a row, they had no one available for us at our appointed time so we just picked up our gift cards and got a warm hug goodbye. Same happened at Pinon Pointe last year, haha. They offered us $200 for the presentation, I told them $250 and they agreed, and when we showed up they had no salespeople available, so we just got our gift cards and a hug. In both cases, we still pushed for someone to show us the units anyway. At HRC Maui, it was because we really wanted to see the layout of the 1BR ocean view, and in Sedona, it was because we wanted to see what the renovated rooms looked like since our unit was not renovated and was literally on its last legs.
I think cash price was also available, we chose 2 luau. Because we are Marriott owner presentation is only 60 min. we chose morning time at 9:30 so it shouldn't change our plans for the day. I kind of want to know Hyatt system and don't mind to spend our time for the tour. I just worry that I'm going to fall in love and buy it, not at developer price, of course. Thank you for your reply.

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
They are low pressure at Hyatt. The luau is not great. My son and his wife went. We did the dinner sunset cruise. It was very fun, maybe 40 extra for dinner
Oh really? I love sunset cruises and always wanted to try one. Maybe I"m going to change it. I just don't understand that people pay $420 for 2 people to attend luau so I thought it made financially more sense.

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
I wouldn't attend it if it was in Mexico, for sure:)
We attended once in Oahu and once on Maui and it was very easy.. no pressure so I hope it's same at Hyatt!

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to learn the Hyatt system, the best place is here on TUG, right here in this forum, honestly.

As for Hyatt Kaanapali, go ahead and fall in love with it. What's not to love? It's a great spot in a great place. Folks who own there have the luxury of being assured, every year, that they will have their unit to stay in. The other Hyatt owners, like me, who trade in, don't have that security of knowing what week we will get, or what floor band we will be assigned to (low, mid, high). But the Hyatt Kaanapali MFs are pretty high compared to the rest of the system, so I am good with paying $1650 in MFs for my diamond week in Sedona and trading in when I can, knowing that the owners who are staying in their units are paying, what, $3600 or $3,800 in MFs per year. I'm not knocking it, Kaanapali owners get something very valuable that I do not -- certainty.

When you get back, tell us how it all went, and everyone here will be happy to chat with you about different ownership strategies!!

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
If you want to learn the Hyatt system, the best place is here on TUG, right here in this forum, honestly.

As for Hyatt Kaanapali, go ahead and fall in love with it. What's not to love? It's a great spot in a great place. Folks who own there have the luxury of being assured, every year, that they will have their unit to stay in. The other Hyatt owners, like me, who trade in, don't have that security of knowing what week we will get, or what floor band we will be assigned to (low, mid, high). But the Hyatt Kaanapali MFs are pretty high compared to the rest of the system, so I am good with paying $1650 in MFs for my diamond week in Sedona and trading in when I can, knowing that the owners who are staying in their units are paying, what, $3600 or $3,800 in MFs per year. I'm not knocking it, Kaanapali owners get something very valuable that I do not -- certainty.

When you get back, tell us how it all went, and everyone here will be happy to chat with you about different ownership strategies!!
Thank you Steven so much for the info. I became Marriott owner just last year. My MF is $1900 for 2 bdr so yes $3,800 is a lot to me but again Hyatt owners get more. I've never seen Maui Hyatt on II which means I would never be able to exchange into it. I'm in the process of selling my David Walley's timeshare using LT for transfer as recommended by many on this group. So I kind of interested into being something instead:)

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh really? I love sunset cruises and always wanted to try one. Maybe I"m going to change it. I just don't understand that people pay $420 for 2 people to attend luau so I thought it made financially more sense.
If you have never been it's still fun but there are much better ones in the area. Food is pretty bad and drinks are mediocre but the show is fun. You can get tickets for a sunset teralani cruise at Costco so 80 for$100 gift card. Teralani is 99 so not a bad deal

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you have never been it's still fun but there are much better ones in the area. Food is pretty bad and drinks are mediocre but the show is fun. You can get tickets for a sunset teralani cruise at Costco so 80 for$100 gift card. Teralani is 99 so not a bad deal
We typically add on to our timeshare week with ultimate reward credit card points so that is another option. Once they are sold out however this may be more difficult, not sure

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think cash price was also available, we chose 2 luau. Because we are Marriott owner presentation is only 60 min. we chose morning time at 9:30 so it shouldn't change our plans for the day. I kind of want to know Hyatt system and don't mind to spend our time for the tour. I just worry that I'm going to fall in love and buy it, not at developer price, of course. Thank you for your reply.
You need to watch out for falling in love...it's very easy to do. Just jot down the Redweek prices so it will be easy to say NO. I really enjoy the sales pitch every time I'm there. The $200 Visa card is plenty of reward without the "hot lamp" pitch at other Hyatt torture palaces.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Steven so much for the info. I became Marriott owner just last year. My MF is $1900 for 2 bdr so yes $3,800 is a lot to me but again Hyatt owners get more. I've never seen Maui Hyatt on II which means I would never be able to exchange into it. I'm in the process of selling my David Walley's timeshare using LT for transfer as recommended by many on this group. So I kind of interested into being something instead:)

$3800 is a lot. And I agree, it is highly unlikely you will ever see Hyatt Kaanapali on Interval. But what you CAN do is purchase a deeded week in another Hyatt property (Pinon Pointe in Sedona is a popular one because the MFs are much lower, about $1650). Owning a diamond week at a Hyatt will give you 2200 points to play with so you can use those to exchange into Hyatt Kaanapali through the internal Hyatt exchange site. Hyatt Kaanapali has traditionally been a difficult exchange, but I think it can be had if you are willing to cast a large net my submitting a waitlist request 18 months in advance. For example, if you are flexible, you might put in a request for any 2BR (or 1BR if you are willing to accept no ocean view) from September to December. It's likely that something will come up and you will get a reservation long enough in advance to plan your travel. Lately (since the Lahaina fires) Hyatt Kaanapali has had more ready availability. For example, there are probably 12 2BR weeks that can be reserved in Oct, Nov, and Dec. This is very unusual, and my guess is that won't continue to be the norm, but it's what's going on now.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
The current timeframe is maybe the best it will get to buy or trade into HKB. The Lahaina fire has a big impact, but with shops and restaurants relocating, the edge is coming off. The goverment should have all the burned lots cleared by November. While that issue is still working, HKB owners are selling and renting. Hyatt retail prices remain high. Maui is trying to clamp down on short term rentals (<30 days) so condo rentals (incl AirBnB) will take a big hit. That will put more demand on HKB. The property is drop dead gorgeous, unlike any other in the HRC system. It's just a long ride from the east coast where the majority of Hyatt owners live. Take action now, otherwise later on you will be saying . . . "if only"!

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
$3800 is a lot. And I agree, it is highly unlikely you will ever see Hyatt Kaanapali on Interval. But what you CAN do is purchase a deeded week in another Hyatt property (Pinon Pointe in Sedona is a popular one because the MFs are much lower, about $1650). Owning a diamond week at a Hyatt will give you 2200 points to play with so you can use those to exchange into Hyatt Kaanapali through the internal Hyatt exchange site. Hyatt Kaanapali has traditionally been a difficult exchange, but I think it can be had if you are willing to cast a large net my submitting a waitlist request 18 months in advance. For example, if you are flexible, you might put in a request for any 2BR (or 1BR if you are willing to accept no ocean view) from September to December. It's likely that something will come up and you will get a reservation long enough in advance to plan your travel. Lately (since the Lahaina fires) Hyatt Kaanapali has had more ready availability. For example, there are probably 12 2BR weeks that can be reserved in Oct, Nov, and Dec. This is very unusual, and my guess is that won't continue to be the norm, but it's what's going on now.
I'm very flexible but can't go last minute so 18 months in advance would be just perfect. I'm going to look into it. I stopped by in some gift shop today next to Badass coffee and the owner said it is so dead and very unusual for this time of the year to not have people and all due to fire, she believes. So sad for Maui.

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
The current timeframe is maybe the best it will get to buy or trade into HKB. The Lahaina fire has a big impact, but with shops and restaurants relocating, the edge is coming off. The goverment should have all the burned lots cleared by November. While that issue is still working, HKB owners are selling and renting. Hyatt retail prices remain high. Maui is trying to clamp down on short term rentals (<30 days) so condo rentals (incl AirBnB) will take a big hit. That will put more demand on HKB. The property is drop dead gorgeous, unlike any other in the HRC system. It's just a long ride from the east coast where the majority of Hyatt owners live. Take action now, otherwise later on you will be saying . . . "if only"!
Thank you. I'm staying in Airbnb today and miss so much staying at the resort as we used to so can't wait to check in tomorrow at HKB