• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Kaanapali: Beach with good snorkeling?

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Going to Maui for an extended weekend at the end of Feb and staying at Hyatt Residence Club for two of the nights. Is the beach in front of the resort decent for snorkeling, or do we have to drive to Black Rock Beach at Sheraton to do so? I guess we were very spoiled by the great snorkeling in front of WKORV and are wondering if snorkeling at Hyatt is as good as WKORV.

taffy19

Reaction score
I don't believe it is. I never snorkeled or swam there so am not 100% sure. The last time I snorkeled at Black Rock, I was disappointed from what it used to be.

You have to drive from the Hyatt to go to better snorkeling places and even to the WKORV too.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks Emmy! Do you know if there is a shuttle to take us to Black Rock and other places within Kaanapali?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can easily walk to Black Rock from the Hyatt as it is at the end of the oceanfront walkway that goes past the Marriott and the Whaler's Village. When we were there in 2014 the snorkeling was very good at Black Rock.

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
Take a short walk south from the Hyatt along the beach until you come to the end of the beach at Hanakao'o Park. Start your snorkeling there and head south along the coast towards Lahaina. This is some of the best snorkeling in Maui. This stretch parallels the highway and the shoreline is rocky. When you come to a small sandy beach, turn around and head back to Hanakao'o Park. This stretch is highly rated for fish, turtles, and coral. Then walk back to your resort.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Tugcccsp, we will definitely give Hanakao'o a try!

taffy19

Reaction score
I have walked a few times to Black Rock early in the morning with my wetsuit and snorkel gear but it was quite warm already on my way back because the sun was out.

I have seen a green trolley that stops at the Hyatt and Marriott and at the other major hotels all the way to Black Rock including Whalers' Village.

I found this website and hope that it still is current.

It is a shorter walk to the Hanakao'o Park so may try this next time.

Thanks Emmy! Do you know if there is a shuttle to take us to Black Rock and other places within Kaanapali?

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I just checked Maui Revealed (3rd edition, published 2005). It described Hanakao'o as a Canoe Beach, and "snorkeling is poor due to bad visibility". Have things changed that much (for the better) in the last 10-12 years? If so, I'm glad to have asked here! Thank you!

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, Emmy! I kind of remember seeing the green trolley but was uncertain. Looks like they are still running!

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
I just checked Maui Revealed (3rd edition, published 2005). It described Hanakao'o as a Canoe Beach, and "snorkeling is poor due to bad visibility". Have things changed that much (for the better) in the last 10-12 years? If so, I'm glad to have asked here! Thank you!
According to the ebook "Maui Snorkeling Guide - By Snokelers for Snorkelers", www.tropicalsnorkeling.com, revised 2015, after you enter the water at Hanakao'o, you turn left (south) and swim for a while to reach the good coral and fish. Then snorkel south until you reach a sandy area and a culvert coming from the highway. At that point, turn around and snorkel back. The "Maui Snorkeling Guide" is a good purchase and very helpful for many snorkeling spots on Maui. After you purchase the book, you can download the PDF to use on any of your own readers. I have no affiliation with the author or book company. I found it helpful.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Lisa, we just had great snorkeling three weeks ago with lots of turtles and colorful fish at Kapalua. Plus you can go to Merriman's for Lilikoi Mai Tia's at happy hour.
Happymum and I went to Napilli but it was a stormy day with no visibility.

Hoping Happymum checks in as there are a few dive shops you can call that tell you how the conditions are at various beaches.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Lisa, we just had great snorkeling three weeks ago with lots of turtles and colorful fish at Kapalua. Plus you can go to Merriman's for Lilikoi Mai Tia's at happy hour.
Happymum and I went to Napilli but it was a stormy day with no visibility.

Hoping Happymum checks in as there are a few dive shops you can call that tell you how the conditions are at various beaches.
Thanks Pat! I am very familiar with Kapalua and Napilli (Stayed at Napilli Kai Beach Club first time we visited Maui ~20 years ago) but didn't know there is a Merriman's in Kapalua now. Will check it out...

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
take the shuttle to WKORV (short) or drive - the snorkel reef (from public park Kalekili? to WKORVN) is one of the best snorkel reefs in area - and there are shower clean offs along the way along easy path
do not go on a Sunday

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
take the shuttle to WKORV (short) or drive - the snorkel reef (from public park Kalekili? to WKORVN) is one of the best snorkel reefs in area - and there are shower clean offs along the way along easy path
do not go on a Sunday
That is our plan! :) Good idea to take the shuttle...Noted! Guess we catch it from either Sheraton or Westin hotel?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is our plan! :) Good idea to take the shuttle...Noted! Guess we catch it from either Sheraton or Westin hotel?
We never took the shuttle but saw it stopped outside Whaler Village/shopping Center

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Honolua and Napili Beaches are also two outstanding snorkel spots within an easy drive of Ka'anapali. Coral Gardens is also recommended by this site:
http://www.prideofmaui.com/blog/snorkeling-maui/top-5-snorkeling-spots-in-maui.html

I second the Honolua Bay suggestion. It's best to get there before 10 am, as the parking is limited and fills up early. You can check out the parking and learn to recognize it when you get there if you use Google Maps' street view. After you crawl over the rocks to get in the water, head about 45-60 degrees to your right and go almost to the rocky shore for the best snorkeling. Another thing I like about Honolua Bay is that the water is seldom choppy, which makes for pleasant snorkeling.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I second the Honolua Bay suggestion. It's best to get there before 10 am, as the parking is limited and fills up early. You can check out the parking and learn to recognize it when you get there if you use Google Maps' street view. After you crawl over the rocks to get in the water, head about 45-60 degrees to your right and go almost to the rocky shore for the best snorkeling. Another thing I like about Honolua Bay is that the water is seldom choppy, which makes for pleasant snorkeling.

Honolua is fantastic - if you enter from the little 'village' area- flat - be careful off the dirty/muddy water and exposure to ear canals (infection wise). Also, should 'donate'...

The inside cover of the Blue book is a overhead shot of Honolua - if it hasn't been mentioned.
Also Kapalua - we were married on that beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Note the shuttle bus driver asks for a Westin/Sheraton keycard when you enter the bus. The shuttle is is meant for use by Starwood/Vistana guests only.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Note the shuttle bus driver asks for a Westin/Sheraton keycard when you enter the bus. The shuttle is is meant for use by Starwood/Vistana guests only.

Correct - that would be 'morally' wrong...
:D

taffy19

Reaction score
Isn't the green trolley public? I have never taken it so do not know.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Emmy, green shuttle I believe is free and open to the public. They are talking about the Westin/Sheraton shuttle that goes between WKORV and Kaanapali/Lahaina :)

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Emmy, green shuttle I believe is free and open to the public. They are talking about the Westin/Sheraton shuttle that goes between WKORV and Kaanapali/Lahaina :)
That was the one I was referring to also. I did not know about the other one. But I don't know where it goes!

sbradshaw

Reaction score
Going to Maui for an extended weekend at the end of Feb and staying at Hyatt Residence Club for two of the nights. Is the beach in front of the resort decent for snorkeling, or do we have to drive to Black Rock Beach at Sheraton to do so? I guess we were very spoiled by the great snorkeling in front of WKORV and are wondering if snorkeling at Hyatt is as good as WKORV.

Yes, the snorkeling off the Hyatt is good, too. There's a gap in the reef just north of the pool where you can head out safely. We saw sea turtles there the last time we were snorkeling. Of course, the main snorkeling is to the north at Black Rock, which is exceptional. We used the GPS map on the Snorkeling Dives website to find it ( https://www.snorkelingdives.com/?city=Kaanapali ).

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
If you are around the Hyatt or Marriott at Ka'anapali Beach, there is excellent snorkeling at the end of the beach towards Lahaina. There is a park there called Hanakao'o, and there is a lifeguard station. I would recommend this only for strong snorkelers. Swim out from the beach until you are far enough to clear the rocks on the left. Then turn left and swim down the coast towards Lahaina. The first stretch, there is nothing to see. The water gets clearer the farther you travel. If the water is murky, turn around and go back. The snorkeling will be no good. Go early in the day when there isn't much wave action. If the water is clear, continue swimming until you arrive at beautiful and healthy coral. This is the area, and it is full of beautiful coral, fish, and turtles. Continue down the coast until the coral and fish diminish. Then turn around and repeat the areas on your way back to the beach. This area is highly rated and I experienced it last February. Please keep in mind that it is a long swim, and you can't go directly to shore because it is rocky with wave action against the rocks. You will be rewarded for your efforts.
Also, Kapalua and Honolua Bays are excellent. Go early for parking. Please note that there is a stream that enters Honolua Bay, so if there has been much rain, the water in the bay will be muddy with no snorkeling possible. In this case, Kapalua Bay will be fine.