• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach was amazing!

ds53cns

Reaction score
Just got back from a five night stay at the Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach. We had a two bedroom on floor 4 and it was simply amazing all around. We usually stay at the Westin Villas but only had five nights up there this time and wanted to be a little longer in the islands so we added the HRC on the back end of the trip. I’ve always really liked the Westin but I felt like the Hyatt was on a different level. Everything about it was just better for us than the Westin. Put simply, we just fell in love with the resort.

The 90 minute presentation lasted about 80 mins and there was pretty much no pressure at all. We toured one of the three bedroom units and that was neat. Obviously we didn’t end up paying $90k for the privilege of owning one week, so the big question is how do we get back? Is there any chance they’ll send us another invitation? Can you buy into another resort with the intention of trading points to get to Maui? I assume the answer is no. Is the best way simply to hope rental units come up?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Just got back from a five night stay at the Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach. We had a two bedroom on floor 4 and it was simply amazing all around. We usually stay at the Westin Villas but only had five nights up there this time and wanted to be a little longer in the islands so we added the HRC on the back end of the trip. I’ve always really liked the Westin but I felt like the Hyatt was on a different level. Everything about it was just better for us than the Westin. Put simply, we just fell in love with the resort.

The 90 minute presentation lasted about 80 mins and there was pretty much no pressure at all. We toured one of the three bedroom units and that was neat. Obviously we didn’t end up paying $90k for the privilege of owning one week, so the big question is how do we get back? Is there any chance they’ll send us another invitation? Can you buy into another resort with the intention of trading points to get to Maui? I assume the answer is no. Is the best way simply to hope rental units come up?
We bought elsewhere in Hyatt and usually can trade in once a year but not in the winter or summer. You would need to be flexible. However with Marriott coming on board there are no guarantees that internal trading will continue. We are staying there this month and are incredibly excited

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
We have stayed at hyatt kaanapali twice, once in a 2 bedroom and another time in the 3 bedroom. We use our tahoe and carmel points to trade in but have only gone in april and september. It is a wonderful resort and it’s great that you get an oceanview with all of the two bedrooms.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Is the best way simply to hope rental units come up?
There are rentals available at this resort all the time, but they aren't cheap. Check redweek.com.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

You can buy resale there, cheapest unit on myresortnetwork is $11k for a 1 bed and goes up from there, but even the most expensive is $41k. You can buy into another Hyatt property and trade in when there is availability, but as Tucsonadventurer points out, all bets are off once Marriott takes the management reigns. And, as DeniseM points out, you can rent.

I have not been there yet, but would like to the next trip to Hawaii... maybe 2020 if I'm lucky. :)

* EDIT - You may also be able to trade in through II, however, I only have access to II via Hyatt, and they hide availability from us Hyatt owners. I would think with this option you would have to be really lucky though.

Last edited:

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
* EDIT - You may also be able to trade in through II, however, I only have access to II via Hyatt, and they hide availability from us Hyatt owners. I would think with this option you would have to be really lucky though.

I have only seem II getaways at hyatt maui not exchanges, believe they were in the $2500 range.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We also stayed in a 2Bdrm last summer and took the presentation but did not buy. We may have been in the same unit on the 4th floor. Even though this was not one of the best view units - the lanai was like an outdoor room and still had a view of the ocean and pool - it was awesome. I can still remember the wonderful sound of the surf from our room. Would definitely take the presentation offer of $1600 if we could get it again to extend a stay at our Westin OF.

Agree that purchasing is too pricey and too locked into one week for my tastes as a purchase. Also uncertainty about the Marriott acquisition would make me hold off until the direction became clear. The difference between a Westin OF and Hyatt resale makes Westin a clear choice. LOL I will "suffer" at the Westin but would consider renting or II getaway if the price was right to get 2 weeks on Maui. #firstworldproblem

Last edited:

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Wow...what a nice surprise awaited me in my inbox this morning. We landed an internal trade into Hyatt Ka'anapali for a week in December! I did not expect to get it, but since our first visit to the Islands was washed out by mostly rainy weather in April (and our last full day was spent hunkered down in the torrential rains on Kauai that washed out Hanalei and other points north), it looks like we're going to get a second chance to breathe in those sweet Hawaiian trade breezes. We already had a trip to San Diego planned, but when you get a chance at HKB, you can't pass that up! Woohoo! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Wow...what a nice surprise awaited me in my inbox this morning. We landed an internal trade into Hyatt Ka'anapali for a week in December! I did not expect to get it, but since our first visit to the Islands was washed out by mostly rainy weather in April (and our last full day was spent hunkered down in the torrential rains on Kauai that washed out Hanalei and other points north), it looks like we're going to get a second chance to breathe in those sweet Hawaiian trade breezes. We already had a trip to San Diego planned, but when you get a chance at HKB, you can't pass that up! Woohoo! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Nice!!! lucky you.

Also, I'll mention.....

Aren't the Hyatt weeks fixed?

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score

We just got back from there. It was one of the nicest TSs we've ever stayed. Really in a different class than the other Maui TSs.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Wonderful!! We are at Nanea now and love it but nothing can compare to the Hyatt. We stayed there our first 4 nights in a 1 bedroom oceanfront. Such a gorgeous resort. Enjoy!!

taffy19

Reaction score
Wonderful!! We are at Nanea now and love it but nothing can compare to the Hyatt. We stayed there our first 4 nights in a 1 bedroom oceanfront. Such a gorgeous resort. Enjoy!!
I am really happy for you that you got ocean view again.

What floor did you end up with, Tucsonadventurer? Same question for lizap too.

How is the beach in front of the Hyatt this time of the year?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I hope we get another presentation offer to extend a stay on Maui.

It is a very nice resort. We considered purchasing but the downsides are: overpriced resale relative to other nice TS OF options, fixed weeks restrictive, and too much uncertainty with the Marriott acquisition. Will wait to see how Marriott plays out and the next downturn when resale prices will drop.

Last edited:

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am really happy for you that you got ocean view again.

What floor did you end up with, Tucsonadventurer? Same question for lizap too.

How is the beach in front of the Hyatt this time of the year?

We were on the 5th floor; had a fabulous view. The beach area was not crowded at all.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope we get another presentation offer to extend a stay on Maui.

It is a very nice resort. We considered purchasing but the downsides are: overpriced resale relative to other nice TS OF options, fixed weeks restrictive, and too much uncertainty with the Marriott acquisition. Will wait to see how Marriott plays out and the next downturn when resale prices will drop.

I don't think resales here are overpriced. It is simply in a different league than the other TSs on Maui. Don't think the Marriott acquisition will affect this resort that much as most buy here to use, and if not, they will rent it out. You may be waiting a while for prices to drop that much..

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@lizap I would say the units are nicer but not in a different league. Two things I didn't like about the Hyatt Kaanapali were:

1) the setback from the ocean overlooking the pool and noise from the pool
2) a lack of privacy on most of the lanais with the way the L shape building was configured and the hotel butting up against the Hotel property on the other side.

I guess we will agree to disagree. ;)

FWIW...If you don't believe Marriott will have an effect and resale prices will not drop, then read about what happened to owners at the Ritz Carlton Residences Aspen:

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/2016-aspen-highlands-ritz-owners-suing.236853/

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
@lizap I would say the units are nicer but not in a different league. Two things I didn't like about the Hyatt Kaanapali were:

1) the setback from the ocean overlooking the pool and noise from the pool
2) a lack of privacy on most of the lanais with the way the L shape building was configured and the hotel butting up against the Hotel property on the other side.

I guess we will agree to disagree. ;)

FWIW...If you don't believe Marriott will have an effect and resale prices will not drop, then read about what happened to owners at the Ritz Carlton Residences Aspen:

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/2016-aspen-highlands-ritz-owners-suing.236853/

The things I like about HKB:

1. Only 131 units
2. Exclusive feel
3. Not crowded (compared to other TSs on Maui)
4. Adjacent to Hyatt Regency (which has mall, restaurants)
5. All 2 BRs have fabulous ocean view
6. Wide lanai with retractable sliding door
7. Lanai furnished with table, chairs, and lounge chair
8. Unit has high quality furnishings
9. Upscale appliances
10. Upscale lobby
11. Nice, wide beach area
12. Best beach location
Etc..

Ritz Carlton Residences Aspen resale units not comparable to HKB. Those are fractional units whose original cost/resale values were much higher than HKB. Relative to many other Maui resorts, there are much fewer people/noise. We had no privacy issues with the wonderful lanai (we did not have one of the center units).

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
1. Only 131 units
Feels like a lot more with the hotel right next door, and MOC on the other side.

If so few units, why was it such a hassle and we had to make appointment for the BBQs? At HGVC Kingsland they have enough BBQs that you can use whenever you want.

2. Exclusive feel
IMO I did not get this feeling. By comparison, I feel more welcomed and exclusive on my HGVC visits. Perhaps because they treat owners differently? .

Boardwalk in front was always crowded. Difficultly running in the early morning because of crowds. Westin does not have as many crowds on boardwalk.
Westin pools are more crowded. I liked that we could get chairs late morning at the Hyatt pool.

This adds to the crowded feeling. But nice to walk to this and Whalers.

Not as nice as OFC, OFD at Westin and MOC OF which are directly in front of the ocean and don't have a noisy pool, plus yoga classes and kids activities between the lanai and the beach.

We were there in late June so perhaps the pool etc was noisier with kids on summer break.

Loved this.

Nice but other Maui TSs have this also albeit with not as nice furnishings.

Agree

9. Upscale appliances
Agree

10. Upscale lobby
Yes but other TS are nice too. Who spends time in the lobby anyway?

IMO Westin nicer less crowded. But both are nice (splitting hairs).

12. Best beach location
IMO Westin nicer. The Hyatt beach was crowded and thin when we visited last summer.

Etc..

Ritz Carlton Residences Aspen resale units not comparable to HKB. Those are fractional units whose original cost/resale values were much higher than HKB.

It is all relative - prices at RC declined by 80% which is in ballpark with other TS resale. Marriott acquisition uncertainty and potential to dilute with points programs will hasten this as owners get nervous and sell out before prices plummet.

Last edited:

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Nice!!! lucky you.

Also, I'll mention.....

Aren't the Hyatt weeks fixed?
Yes, Hyatt weeks are fixed if you're an owner in the legacy program, which we are. We traded our fixed Christmas week at Sedona for the week in HKB a couple of weeks before Christmas. With Hyatt, you have six months during your exclusive Home Resort Preference Period (HRPP) to let Hyatt know if you plan to use your fixed week. If not, you can use the accompanying points to exchange within the Hyatt system.

Ironically enough, I had just locked in our fixed week at Hyatt Highlands Inn in Carmel for next May and so thought the confirmation that came through was for that. I had to blink a couple of times to make sure I was seeing what I was seeing--Ka'anapali.

Thanks to Tucsonadventurer, lizap, and CalGalTraveler for your comments on HKB. As the time gets closer, I may want to PM you for more tips.

taffy19

Reaction score
We were on the 5th floor; had a fabulous view. The beach area was not crowded at all.
Thanks, lizap. What I should have asked you is how is the condition of the beach? Is there enough sand in front of this timeshare resort because the sand seems to move back and forward during the year between the Hyatt Regency Resort and Black Rock.

In March and April the beach is widest in front of the Marriott's Napili tower and the Kā‘anapali Ali‘i condo project and quite wide all the way to Black Rock. The erosion was really bad on the other side of Black Rock too this year.

Marriott wrote recently in one of their newsletters that Ka'anapali Beach has tentatively scheduled the restoration of their beach in the fall of 2019.

I have been trying to find out more about it and found this link here from the County of Maui. You may like to read the two links on the left side of the page.

It is going to cost money so higher maintenance fees yet or a special assessment for everyone on this beach north and south of Black Rock.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I'm going to quietly hope that mother Marriott has a plan to equitably enable Marriott/Hyatt/Westin exchanges via some system.

We'll see, we'll see.
I'd kiss a pig to be able to reserve Carmel or Ka'anapali or others....at least for a few days.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Only 131 units
Feels like a lot more with the hotel right next door, and MOC on the other side.

If so few units, why was it such a hassle and we had to make appointment for the BBQs? At HGVC Kingsland they have enough BBQs that you can use whenever you want.

2. Exclusive feel
IMO I did not get this feeling. By comparison, I feel more welcomed and exclusive on my HGVC visits. Perhaps because they treat owners differently? .

Boardwalk in front was always crowded. Difficultly running in the early morning because of crowds. Westin does not have as many crowds on boardwalk.
Westin pools are more crowded. I liked that we could get chairs late morning at the Hyatt pool.

This adds to the crowded feeling. But nice to walk to this and Whalers.

Not as nice as OFC, OFD at Westin and MOC OF which are directly in front of the ocean and don't have a noisy pool, plus yoga classes and kids activities between the lanai and the beach.

We were there in late June so perhaps the pool etc was noisier with kids on summer break.

Loved this.

Nice but other Maui TSs have this also albeit with not as nice furnishings.

Agree

9. Upscale appliances
Agree

10. Upscale lobby
Yes but other TS are nice too. Who spends time in the lobby anyway?

IMO Westin nicer less crowded. But both are nice (splitting hairs).

12. Best beach location
IMO Westin nicer. The Hyatt beach was crowded and thin when we visited last summer.

Etc..

Ritz Carlton Residences Aspen resale units not comparable to HKB. Those are fractional units whose original cost/resale values were much higher than HKB.

It is all relative - prices at RC declined by 80% which is in ballpark with other TS resale. Marriott acquisition uncertainty and potential to dilute with points programs will hasten this as owners get nervous and sell out before prices plummet.

Yes, we definitely have to agree to disagree.

1. Definitely did not sense a lot of people at the beach directly in back of HKB. The Hyatt Hotel and Marriott guests tend to stay at their respective beaches. We rented a hut for a day, and only 2 or 3 people were on the beach in front of us the whole day.

2. Very upscale and exclusive feel. Guess it depends on what you're comparing it to. In terms of feel, reminded us of Beaver Creek.

3. Boardwalk directly in back of HKB was never crowded. We have stayed at WKORV and Nanea. There are approx. 1500 units between the 3 Westins; the boardwalk there is definitley more crowded, and it's not even close.

4. Disagree. Hyatt Regency guests tend to stay near that resort.

5. True, that the 2 BR units at HKB overlook the pool, but we never had a problem with noise, and the view cannot be beat.

6. Retractable doors are great.

7. The lanai, along with furnishings, is probably one of the nicest (at TSs) in Maui.

8. Agree

9. Agree

10. While you may not spend a lot of time in the lobby, you spend a good amount of time walking through it. They really missed it with the lobby at Nanea. It is hideous.

11. No comparison. This part of the Kaanapali beach area is nicer handsdown.

12. The beach area is very nice, relatively wide, and fewer people, relative to the Westins. Perhaps, you ventured into the Hyatt Regency and Marriott beach areas.

Last edited:

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, lizap. What I should have asked you is how is the condition of the beach? Is there enough sand in front of this timeshare resort because the sand seems to move back and forward during the year between the Hyatt Regency Resort and Black Rock.

In March and April the beach is widest in front of the Marriott's Napili tower and the Kā‘anapali Ali‘i condo project and quite wide all the way to Black Rock. The erosion was really bad on the other side of Black Rock too this year.

Marriott wrote recently in one of their newsletters that Ka'anapali Beach has tentatively scheduled the restoration of their beach in the fall of 2019.

I have been trying to find out more about it and found this link here from the County of Maui. You may like to read the two links on the left side of the page.

It is going to cost money so higher maintenance fees yet or a special assessment for everyone on this beach north and south of Black Rock.

There was sufficient beach (sand) in back of HKB (and this is from someone who grew up on the Gulf Coast). Of course, I am partial to the fine, white sand around Destin and Orange Beach (but it is harder to walk on).