• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Hacienda del Mar- Update

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
Ditto ! to Sapper. Same thoughts I had also!

grevas1

Reaction score
On the budget work sheet $2587,47 is labeled as the "Average Maintenance fee including Hyatt vacation club fees ," and $2,721.42 is labeled as the "Total Maintenance Fee " (with no explanation of the difference between the two.)

However , In the Board of Directors letter they say the Proposed 2021 Maintenance fee is: $2,587.47 .. plus the special assessments, of $334.77 and $541.68. TOTALING: $3463.92

Hi PerryKing- Yes, those are the numbers I placed earlier in this thread, I just didn't provide a grand total. Pretty steep given we haven't been able to enjoy the resort. I like to ski/ride and have gotten some good reservations for Breck, Aspen, and Hawaii while the resort has been closed so I am not complaining too much. Looking forward to visiting PR in the near future, however!

FYI- A COVID-19 molecular test can be accomplished through CVS or Walgreens by reservation. Suggest requesting the appointment 2 days out from that 72 hour mark; i.e. make a testing appointment on November 23 for November 25 for a November 28 departure. I am sure CVS will be closed on Turkey day. CVS is resulting COVID-19 tests within 72 hours so it is doable. Also, some airlines, like United, are providing onsite tests the day of flight but for a $250 price tag! Safe travels!

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi PerryKing- Yes, those are the numbers I placed earlier in this thread, I just didn't provide a grand total. Pretty steep given we haven't been able to enjoy the resort. I like to ski/ride and have gotten some good reservations for Breck, Aspen, and Hawaii while the resort has been closed so I am not complaining too much. Looking forward to visiting PR in the near future, however!

FYI- A COVID-19 molecular test can be accomplished through CVS or Walgreens by reservation. Suggest requesting the appointment 2 days out from that 72 hour mark; i.e. make a testing appointment on November 23 for November 25 for a November 28 departure. I am sure CVS will be closed on Turkey day. CVS is resulting COVID-19 tests within 72 hours so it is doable. Also, some airlines, like United, are providing onsite tests the day of flight but for a $250 price tag! Safe travels!

Not to get off topic, but two data points re CVS turnaround time for a PCR COVID test. I recently traveled to a place that requires the test, three weeks ago the turn time was right at four days. I had another done on Friday, turn time was a little over 48 hours on the weekend.

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering how many folks will just default. This will lead to responsible owners having to pick up the slack (unpaid maintenance fees by the defaulting owners), which further increases the maintenance fees. Vicious cycle.
Exactly.......and sometimes it may not be that they are irresponsible owners - everyone has a breaking point and with everything going on there may be owners that can’t absorb the extra cost - could be out of work or furloughed, etc. One of my properties raised fees due to bad debt and I thought the same - vicious cycle.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
Grevas 1 - Thank you for the info. We do not have very many CVS stores here in Denver - just a few. Mostly Walgreens here. My main question is how much are they charging for the test. ?

Does anyone know if Kaiser Permanente is doing any type of test for members - simply because they want to travel - and with no synptoms or doctors referal /, and how much are they charging ?

Looks like I can travel from Denver to Puerto Rico - then to Fort Meyers FL (coconut Plantation) and then a week later back to Denver cheaper for the airfare than it will cost me to get one or 2 COVID Molecular test. Maybe requiring one each coming and Going. That i'm not very OK with. Might drive me to just cancel my uopcoming 3 weeks at Hacienda del Mar, again for the 4th time in a row over the last 3 years.

Last edited:

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
Exactly.......and sometimes it may not be that they are irresponsible owners - everyone has a breaking point and with everything going on there may be owners that can’t absorb the extra cost - could be out of work or furloughed, etc. One of my properties raised fees due to bad debt and I thought the same - vicious cycle.
re: BAD DEBT expense. Yes!!!, a large portion of increae in the Hacienda Del Mar Maintenance fee this year was due to increased bad debts. So, now at $3463.00 this year the delinquncies and defalts will probaly only get worse next year.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-

Funny - because for the same Haciende del Mar reason I have stayed a week in Maui, in November 2019 before I left on a 33 day cruise to the south china sea in DEC 2019 and then this last summer to HRC's in Aspen, Beaver Creek. and Breckenridge this year also. One reason being I can drive to the Colorado clubs. 4 hours to Aspen from Denver but only about one and a half hours to Beaver Creek or Breckenridge. Problem is however I have been doing these stays / drives for the last 22 years now. So Deja Vue ! Also have deposited about 5200 points into EE, 1300 of which is almost ready to expire. I need to do the book a year out , and extension extra etc. manover on those. It will be my first time to try that manipulation.

La Rata

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Hacienda der Mar Puerto Rico
Hello All :

1. Any legal way to defend from this MF ???
2. No pay this year a good option ??

Thanks for any help ...

Maintenance Fee- $2587.47
Special Assessment (Deficit Recovery)- $334.77
Special Assessment (Reconstruction)- $541.68

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All :

1. Any legal way to defend from this MF ???
2. No pay this year a good option ??

Thanks for any help ...

Maintenance Fee- $2587.47
Special Assessment (Deficit Recovery)- $334.77
Special Assessment (Reconstruction)- $541.68

“La Rata” = The Rat. El Troll may be more applicable?

grevas1

Reaction score
Grevas 1 - Thank you for the info. We do not have very many CVS stores here in Denver - just a few. Mostly Walgreens here. My main question is how much are they charging for the test. ?

Does anyone know if Kaiser Permanente is doing any type of test for members - simply because they want to travel - and with no synptoms or doctors referal /, and how much are they charging ?

Looks like I can travel from Denver to Puerto Rico - then to Fort Meyers FL (coconut Plantation) and then a week later back to Denver cheaper for the airfare than it will cost me to get one or 2 COVID Molecular test. Maybe requiring one each coming and Going. That i'm not very OK with. Might drive me to just cancel my uopcoming 3 weeks at Hacienda del Mar, again for the 4th time in a row over the last 3 years.

Yes, Kaiser is testing and the cost is free due to the Families First Coronavirus Response Act unless you go through one of the airlines. Some of the Walgreens in Colorado offers the Rapid POC test that qualifies so that's an option. I am getting a test today for travel to Maui on Saturday and will provide more details once they're known.

B.Lane

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Del Mar Puerto Rico
I completely agree! I am currently disputing the 2020 maintenance fees because of their deception tactics. If we band together, there is a class action suit opportunity.
We certainly need to file a class action suit against them. I submitted questions to the hyatt and have yet to receive any response. How is non HYATT people on the Board of directors and how did they get elected to the board. I have never received anything about the Board members don't know who they are, etc.. I asked a question and heard nothin as to when they last had a audit from a OUTSIDE organization. Maybe its
I completely agree! I am currently disputing the 2020 maintenance fees because of their deception tactics. If we band together, there is a class action suit opportunity.
we need to get everyones email address, I'm all for a class action suit

B.Lane

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Del Mar Puerto Rico
re: BAD DEBT expense. Yes!!!, a large portion of increae in the Hacienda Del Mar Maintenance fee this year was due to increased bad debts. So, now at $3463.00 this year the delinquncies and defalts will probaly only get worse next year.
They should have filed for bankruptcy. Its easy to say you can bank your points and use them later. Well that is not the case you can't find anything that is available..And understand if you own a unit and want to bank the point under the new points system you as a owner get second choice. The new room look cheap nothing tropical about them

grevas1

Reaction score
The 2021 maintenance fees for Hacienda del Mar are official- $3463.92

2021 Fee Breakdown
Maintenance Fee- $2043.41
Reserves- $350.00
Property Taxes- $37.06
Club Dues- $157.00
Assessments
Deficit Recovery- $334.77
Reconstruction- $541.68

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
Yes, Kaiser is testing and the cost is free due to the Families First Coronavirus Response Act unless you go through one of the airlines. Some of the Walgreens in Colorado offers the Rapid POC test that qualifies so that's an option. I am getting a test today for travel to Maui on Saturday and will provide more details once they're known.
Thanks for the info. Hope it works for me here in Colorado. I will follow up and let others know. Perry

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
Does the "Rapit Test " your getting, qualify as a "Molecular Test"? The Hacienda del Mar resort manager told me the test must be a Molecular type test per the government of Puerto Rico regulations.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
We certainly need to file a class action suit against them. I submitted questions to the hyatt and have yet to receive any response. How is non HYATT people on the Board of directors and how did they get elected to the board. I have never received anything about the Board members don't know who they are, etc.. I asked a question and heard nothin as to when they last had a audit from a OUTSIDE organization. Maybe its

we need to get everyones email address, I'm all for a class action suit
One name I saw on the list of Board of Directors is or was a Hyatt Employee. i.e the former Resort Manager at Hacienda Del Mar and now a Hyatt resort manager elswhere (Key West) , so when I saw his name I questioned that in my mind - i.e How could he be on our Board of Directors > I never saw him listed for election , etc.. , but it could be because of a condition of the original Lease agreement or deveelopment agreement that Hyatt gets one or more a spots on the board if they own some certain perecentage of the units ... etc. But im guessing ! Does anyone know why for sure?

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
One name I saw on the list of Board of Directors is or was a Hyatt Employee. i.e the former Resort Manager at Hacienda Del Mar and now a Hyatt resort manager elswhere (Key West) , so when I saw his name I questioned that in my mind - i.e How could he be on our Board of Directors > I never saw him listed for election , etc.. , but it could be because of a condition of the original Lease agreement or deveelopment agreement that Hyatt gets one or more a spots on the board if they own some certain perecentage of the units ... etc. But im guessing ! Does anyone know why for sure?

Is it possible the former manager owns a unit there? If so, I would think as long as he discloses his relationship with Hyatt he would have as much right to run as any other owner. Heck, I could even see how having the former manager on your side could be beneficial... assuming he is an owner and on your side.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
Thats fine with me if thats the case, but I dont think so. But I just wrote a long post describing what I know about it and how I think Mr. Dindo must have been appointed by Hyatt (Devleoper rights or such) and NOW I can not find my two long post. that I just wrote about all this, Maybe I did the post in another thread or it got lost. there was an indication of trouble with the function of the board. I will go look and see if they are in some other thread. (NOTE: I can't find them anywhere so they are lost ..) ??

Last edited:

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
Howdy,

I was just in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago. Unusually warm, still pretty.

Re the BoD candidate / manager, is it Jon Dindo? Currently managing HBH. If so, I met him at Hacienda in Jan 2017, and he seemed like a fairly sharp guy. I own at HBH, and I have not herd anything negative about him yet, but I don’t have my ear to the “Coconut Telegraph“ as well as some on TUG.

Have a good evening,
Tim
YES. I know him. Nice guy, as all the managers are, from my experience with them and Ive meet all of them , at least once. I'm just wondering why he would be on the Board at Hacienda Del Mar and probably as an appointee and not by election. So The developer must still have the right to do that somehow.

Did you know the land the club is built on still belongs to the developer or ? someone, and that he club "leased" it for 100 years, and that there is only about 70 years left on the lease of the land. as I remember it anyway !

Yes !!, on the weather lovely weather, but our great Indian Summer ended , at least for a while today. Has been overcast , drizzel and cold the last few days. Today we had a high of 31F but is predicted to be 61F tommorow and 19F and 16F on Sunday and Monday then back to 63 on Friday the 30th of October 2020.

This last January we had one or two tempature swings of as much as 60 degrees in two days. i.e from 70 degrees to 10 degrees. The record is a change of 78 degree drop in December of 2008. But no mater the tempature Colorado has over 300 days of sunshine every year. Thats our secret that most people don't know about. We get a blizzard for a day or two, and a few days later its all melted (in eastern Colorado- East of the mountains that is, not like I hear about back East and upper New York where the snow stays all winter. PPK P.S. I was born in Sweetwater Texas but I have lived in Denver (Arvada) all my life.

above is part of my lost post - this part was still in my clipboard - but a lot of my intended post has vanished !! ??

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
Im to tired to retype my lost long post. but three points I made is that 1.) Ive never seen an election for the Board of Directors that I can remember in the last 4 years or so that I have owned at H Del M.

and 2.) also that the annual meeting is going to be webcast on OCT 29th 2020 begining at 5:30PM Eastern Time and that I will try to tune in.

3.) And that the current General manager of Haciend del Mar is Alex Botana, and tha he has been there for at least the last year or so of the reconstruction. And that I talked to him on the phone last month and he was very helpfull and forthcoming.

Last edited:

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own Marriott Vacation Club as well and one of our properties had a resort manager from another property on our board for quite some time. I always thought it odd but it was a new property so figured they appointed her to provide guidance.

cladescar

Reaction score
I’m wondering how many folks will just default. This will lead to responsible owners having to pick up the slack (unpaid maintenance fees by the defaulting owners), which further increases the maintenance fees. Vicious cycle.
Has Hyatt foreclosed on any of the Hacienda Del Mar timeshares?

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has Hyatt foreclosed on any of the Hacienda Del Mar timeshares?

That information is not available to me. Others here may be better informed regarding foreclosure activity.