• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Laura

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Fire, first and foremost for me. Mudslides, earthquakes, traffic, cost of living and I don’t like desert landscape. Each to their own for sure.
It's good we all don't want to live in the same place. :) But desert landscape?

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
That is why I bought new to have the concrete block walls and steel framing plus the concrete roof. The resales were less but just changing windows and doors I would be at my new built price.

Exactly. We are in the process of replacing four sets of French doors. Code calls for hurricane impact glass. That’s 35% to 40% more per set. We are looking at what is the cost of replacing an entire high end kitchen or large master bath for them including installation. Fortunately we are completely inclosed within 8 to 12 foot brick walls which does help somewhat. Both of our homes here are on original high ground and have yet to flood, though there is a water mark under our kitchen house of about a foot from Hugo. Our main home is just two and a half blocks from the harbor. I’ve watched over the last 20 years as flood water has crept closer and closer and higher and higher. And it’s happening more frequently. I check the MLS daily and the majority of the homes on the market are in flood prone areas.

You are more inland but you are still on a concert slab. If water gets inside it will wick up the sheetrock and wet the insulation and mold could develop. Yet easy access is what we will need as we get older. It’s a conundrum. I wish you well; I really do.

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's good we all don't want to live in the same place. :) But desert landscape?

Sorry. I lived my whole life among beautiful green trees and lawns. I’ve not been North of LA since I was a teenager so I’m basing my personal opinion on LA to San Diego and inland. A view now and then of a desert is cool but I would prefer not to live in one.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Sorry. I lived my whole life among beautiful green trees and lawns. I’ve not been North of LA since I was a teenager so I’m basing my personal opinion on LA to San Diego and inland. A view now and then of a desert is cool but I would prefer not to live in one.
The beautiful coastline
The redwood forests
The mountains

I love the beauty of my home state.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
And you pay a lot for that insurance. Often to only have some home and flood insurance companies each declaring that it was the opposite of what they insure that caused the damage. That went on for years on the Gulf Coast after Katrina and in other areas. So many gave up and moved away or just paid to redo themselves. Be sure you have an up to date inventory of all you have invested in the home, its contents, current value, photos, etc.

There’s a lot of preparation for a hurricane. I suppose if you live on an upper floor of a condo and only have to bring in your patio furniture, close the hurricane shutters, and drive away, and the association is responsible for the exterior (for which you may be accessed), that would be easier. You need to decide to leave early or you’ll be backed up in traffic. Have boxes stored with necessary grab and go items. Have a place to go. Fill the tubs with water to flush the toilets with if you get back and there is no power, etc., etc. Often you are not allowed back (especially onto a barrier island) for days, weeks after a major storm, of which we are going to get more and more of. I think it was a month after Hugo for the islands here. When you get back, if nothing else, your beach view may be gone. That’s another accessment if they are even allowed to bring sand back in.

And more frequently now, without a hurricane, there is flooding. I’ve watched it crawl further inland and higher up over the years. You may have a house high enough off of the ground but what good is it if you can’t get to it?
I’ll still take the chance to be able to have that view, the sound of the waves, and the serenity 360 or so days of the year. Yes, the insurance is expensive and it would be a major hassle if one hit where I lived, there’s a very small chance that would happen. I think I mentioned above that I worked on a catastrophe team. It was for a major insurance company so I’m well aware of the cost, as well as, the importance of knowing what is in your policy.

We usually have to go to the basement during tornado warnings at least 2 or 3 times a year and many homes aren’t built to withstand tornado winds either. Fires, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, etc. Pretty much anywhere we live, there is a risk of something terrible happening. We just have to decide what we want and what we’re willing to risk. For me, I would gladly risk the very small chance that a hurricane will hit in the exact location where I live if I can enjoy that location 99% of the time. Fortunately, there are many different locales with many different features that we can choose from and all of us don’t want the same things.

Last edited:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The beautiful coastline
The redwood forests
The mountains

I love the beauty of my home state.
If not for the cost of living, I would love to live near the coast in California. Actually, it might not even have to be that near the coast. It’s a beautiful state.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

I appreciate your point, but am inclined to expand my options a bit. I've lived all over the country, and fully understand and appreciate the beauty in each area of the country. I haven't been anywhere in the USA that doesn't have its own attractions - and frustrations. It's all a tradeoff of what you want, vs. what you'll put up with.

For the last 30+ years I was in the Pacific Northwest, so I know about trees and lawns. My move to Nevada was intentional, precisely so I *CAN* live in a desert landscape. Desert plants can be extraordinary in their beauty, if you slow down and actually look at them. The home I bought has a desert landscape yard area that I'm just beginning to understand and appreciate. I'm looking forward to tweaking that desertscape into something especially nice.

I agree with @Luanne - it's good we all don't want to live in the same place. :D

Dave

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I appreciate your point, but am inclined to expand my options a bit. I've lived all over the country, and fully understand and appreciate the beauty in each area of the country. I haven't been anywhere in the USA that doesn't have its own attractions - and frustrations. It's all a tradeoff of what you want, vs. what you'll put up with.

For the last 30+ years I was in the Pacific Northwest, so I know about trees and lawns. My move to Nevada was intentional, precisely so I *CAN* live in a desert landscape. Desert plants can be extraordinary in their beauty, if you slow down and actually look at them. The home I bought has a desert landscape yard area that I'm just beginning to understand and appreciate. I'm looking forward to tweaking that desertscape into something especially nice.

I agree with @Luanne - it's good we all don't want to live in the same place. :D

Dave
Actually, one of the reasons I want to move is so I won’t have to rake leaves any more. They’re just starting to fall here and I will be getting them up from now through November. There are so many ways I would rather spend my time. I envy your landscape, just not the heat. ;)

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

Okay, not a big fan of the heat also so, I think I'll cross Phoenix off the list. :ponder:

In Phoenix, rising temperatures day and night kill more people each year
It's not just desert cities that are threatened by hotter summer temperatures. Deadly heat is on the rise across the United States.

Over the past 30 years, heat has accounted for more fatalities on average than any other weather-related disaster in the U.S., according to the National Weather Service.

But it's not just desert cities like Phoenix and Tucson that are threatened by hotter summer temperatures. Deadly heat is on the rise across the United States. Cities including Burlington, Vermont; Chattanooga, Tennessee; and Helena, Montana, are right behind Phoenix as members in Climate Central's top 10 fast-warming cities list, experiencing temperature rises of more than 4 degrees.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think some are basing their decisions to move to coastal areas based upon past numbers. The point that I am trying to make is that the future forecast is for more frequent and stronger storms as well as for what we call, “sunny day flooding”. While I won’t live to see the most drastic projections, we have experienced an increase already.

I have never denied that there are risks everywhere. However, I only see greater risks in the future. Here, I see property values declining now in flood prone areas. We will see more areas begin to flood in the future. I’m just saying, ”Choose wisely.”

Nor have I ever denied that people see beauty in, and love other areas as much I see in, and love, our area. Just stating my personal preferences and concerns.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Brett

Reaction score
Majority Of Hurricane Laura Deaths Linked To Improper Use Of Portable. Generators - NPR.

Richard

unfortunately you see that with hurricanes - and with other situations using generators
https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/25-poisoned-critically-norway-illegal-rave-party-72721961

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned