• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Laura

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
CB3C68A9-26C4-4875-9001-90D0BC85B2C4.jpeg

NOAA 42 “Kermit” in the eye of the storm. The 10pm report has 939mb, 150mph sustained winds, and tops of 49,000 feet.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This one will hit this morning and it is going to leave some damage. IMHO

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope everyone in it's path is safe.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
absolutely brutal how this ended up vs earlier projections.

hope no TUGGERS were in its path, and for a quick recovery to all those impacted :(

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
This is why I don’t understand why anyone would want to move to a costal area anymore. Article in Charleston’s Post & Courier newspaper this morning:

Whopper storms getting worse

Nasty hurricanes that cause billions of dollars in damage hitting more often

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Hurricane Laura, become brutal and now these areas will have the storm surge that could spread inland in southwest Louisiana and Southeast Texas.

My heart and prayers go out to all in its path and I hope that all tuggers stay safe in these areas....

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hurricane is now a category 2 hurricane down from a category 4.
That is good news for the residents of Louisiana and Texas.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is why I don’t understand why anyone would want to move to a costal area anymore. Article in Charleston’s Post & Courier newspaper this morning:

Probably the FEMA money keeps people from moving. But I agree.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not the life I would choose or the areas I would prefer to live in however, we all have our own preferences. I wish them well during this.

As for the "FEMA money", there's no amount that can bring back the life of a love one.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

If everyone moved out of potential danger zones, coastal, rivers, tornado, earthquakes, etc there would be many empty areas. Danger is almost everywhere In ways more then natural disasters.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We lived in Houston Area for 22 years. We were glad to leave the hurricane danger behind. Here we deal with wild fires, wind storms and earthquake danger....so far only the wind storms have caused damage, earthquakes minor and wildfires within 3 miles but no damage.

I think anywhere you go there is something

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
If everyone moved out of potential danger zones, coastal, rivers, tornado, earthquakes, etc there would be many empty areas. Danger is almost everywhere In ways more then natural disasters.
So true. I live in central Alabama and we have tornadoes often. At least with hurricanes, you usually have several days warning and plenty of time to evacuate. With tornadoes, you may only have time to go to the basement, if you have one.

I’ve never been concerned with the loss of property, that’s what insurance is for. We are seriously considering moving to coastal property in the next couple years. I would love to live on the beach and would gladly evacuate whenever it became necessary in exchange for the opportunity to wake up with an ocean view the rest of the time. I‘m actually more concerned about the heat in Florida which is our likeliest destination. I may try to coax DW to at least look at some options up the east coast.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So true. I live in central Alabama and we have tornadoes often. At least with hurricanes, you usually have several days warning and plenty of time to evacuate. With tornadoes, you may only have time to go to the basement, if you have one.

I’ve never been concerned with the loss of property, that’s what insurance is for. We are seriously considering moving to coastal property in the next couple years. I would love to live on the beach and would gladly evacuate whenever it became necessary in exchange for the opportunity to wake up with an ocean view the rest of the time. I‘m actually more concerned about the heat in Florida which is our likeliest destination. I may try to coax DW to at least look at some options up the east coast.
The heat and hurricanes were my concerns prior to deciding to move to Florida. From what my friends tell me you get use to living in the hotter climate. As far as hurricanes I decided to deal with it.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
The heat and hurricanes were my concerns prior to deciding to move to Florida. From what my friends tell me you get use to living in the hotter climate. As far as hurricanes I decided to deal with it.
I probably could get used to it. I’ve lived in Alabama all my life and it’s hot and humid here from late May until mid-September. I’m used to it and I deal with it but I don’t like it. In Florida, it would just be a little longer timeframe.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
New construction homes are also hurricane proof (concrete block walls and steel framing). You just need to worry about the water. Your new house will withstand some storms. Most hurricanes seem to turn back to the water, but geez, the ones that hit like Laura did, those are scary. That's my daughter's name, by the way.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Grow up in New England, we experienced a few hurricanes and many blizzards. We moved to Florida in late 80S and have lived thru Hurricanes in the past 30 years. 3/4 of the year, we have the best weather, summers are brutal with the heat and thunderstorms. We usually travel during the summer months, except this year, with Covid we are staying close to home. Right now we are at Orange Lake and enjoying it very much. There are not very many people here, but the lazy river island area is open and we had lunch there today. Very clean and people are friendly but keep their distance. I hope those in the path of Laura will be safe. Feeling blessed with everything.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Texas lucked out on this one. Sympathies to our Cajun neighbors to the east. I hope the best for those in its path.

We were sweating it out as we are scheduled to spend Thanksgiving in Galveston and they just got brushed, BUT that's inconsequential to the task ahead to those TRULY affected by the storm.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

There would be. Part of them are going to be erased one day. Flooded, blown, and washed away. Overdevelopment of coastal areas is just one of the reasons. Personally, I am very weary of having lived in hurricane zones most of my life. The only place worse in my personal opinion would be CA.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
There would be Part of them are going to be erased one day. Flooded, blown, and washed away. Overdevelopment of coastal areas is just one of the reasons. Personally, I am very weary of having lived in hurricane zones most of my life. The only place worse in my personal opinion would be CA.
Why California?

I lived there for 60+ years. Personally I don't want to live someplace where it's hot and humid and has hurricanes.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
New construction homes are also hurricane proof (concrete block walls and steel framing). You just need to worry about the water. Your new house will withstand some storms. Most hurricanes seem to turn back to the water, but geez, the ones that hit like Laura did, those are scary. That's my daughter's name, by the way.
That is why I bought new to have the concrete block walls and steel framing plus the concrete roof. The resales were less but just changing windows and doors I would be at my new built price.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We lived in Houston Area for 22 years. We were glad to leave the hurricane danger behind. Here we deal with wild fires, wind storms and earthquake danger....so far only the wind storms have caused damage, earthquakes minor and wildfires within 3 miles but no damage.

I think anywhere you go there is something

I agree. There’s something most places. Fire would be my greatest fear.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

And you pay a lot for that insurance. Often to only have some home and flood insurance companies each declaring that it was the opposite of what they insure that caused the damage. That went on for years on the Gulf Coast after Katrina and in other areas. So many gave up and moved away or just paid to redo themselves. Be sure you have an up to date inventory of all you have invested in the home, its contents, current value, photos, etc.

There’s a lot of preparation for a hurricane. I suppose if you live on an upper floor of a condo and only have to bring in your patio furniture, close the hurricane shutters, and drive away, and the association is responsible for the exterior (for which you may be accessed), that would be easier. You need to decide to leave early or you’ll be backed up in traffic. Have boxes stored with necessary grab and go items. Have a place to go. Fill the tubs with water to flush the toilets with if you get back and there is no power, etc., etc. Often you are not allowed back (especially onto a barrier island) for days, weeks after a major storm, of which we are going to get more and more of. I think it was a month after Hugo for the islands here. When you get back, if nothing else, your beach view may be gone. That’s another accessment if they are even allowed to bring sand back in.

And more frequently now, without a hurricane, there is flooding. I’ve watched it crawl further inland and higher up over the years. You may have a house high enough off of the ground but what good is it if you can’t get to it?

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why California?

I lived there for 60+ years. Personally I don't want to live someplace where it's hot and humid and has hurricanes.

Fire, first and foremost for me. Mudslides, earthquakes, traffic, cost of living and I don’t like desert landscape. Each to their own for sure.