• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Ike is after me

susieq

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
So I take it ... You DON'T like Ike??? :annoyed:

Sue

Aussiedog

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
been watching him too

We are getting Hanna tomorrow night but all eyes in North Carolina are also on Ike. He looks like quite the bully.

Be careful and keep us posted.

Ann

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
The dog and I are in NH on the water until Sunday ... guess we'll get a visit from Hanna too. www.wentworth.com

Brian

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Do we stay or get the ^%$ out of Dodge?

We also live in the cone of death and are pondering do we stay or leave?

I may just go ahead and book some airline tickets to my favorite place - Colorado. NO Hurricanes in Summit County!

But, we really do not know what to do if it is a Cat 4 storm. Sadly, we will not know if it is a Cat 4 until it is to late. Our house can withstand a Cat 2 to Cat 3 with minimal damage. It should after all the money we have spent on impact glass, garage doors, roof etc... The fire department has to use a special tool to break any of the glass or doors - it is amazing how strong the impact glass is under Hurricane conditions. But, I would not want to test it to 140 miles per hour. We know it will take 120 without any damage, we have had winds that high in 2005.

Plus exactly where will these boats that everybody ties off in the middle of the canal end up? I think a few may be somebody's back yard - I just hope not ours. Perhaps - Colorado may be a really good place to be next week, we will give it to Saturday and then that dreaded cone will help us decide.

Are you staying or leaving?

S

Steamboat Bill

Are you staying or leaving?

I have not decided yet. I live in a 3 year old home with full Hurricane impact glass and have a hurricane panel for the front door as extra security.

I went out and filled 6 gas cans of 5 gallons each for the generator (as I was too cheap to install a $10k self contained one) and filled all three cars with gas.

I bought plenty of water, batteries, have a battery tv/radio and 2 tanks of propane for the grill and plenty of food.

I also just added chlorine to the pool (shocked it), cut down some branches of trees and will bring in the patio furniture this weekend.

If it is Cat 5 and directly aimed at us, I will probably evacuate and drive to Orlando but when we did that in 1992 for Andrew, the drive was bumper to bumper for over 100 miles. I will make that decision on Monday. I took the Turnpike last time, but it may be faster to take I-95 of US1 or 441 or US 27...will decide that later.

Ah the joy of living in the "Cone of Death"...either way, if this is like Andrew, it is not worth "riding it out"...that is why I have insurance.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have the option to leave early--then leave early! :) As you mentioned, the traffic will be horrendous. You'd do yourself a favor and also do a favor to those who don't have the option of leaving early by being one less car on the road.

I think if one has the flexibility to leave whenever, one should look at this as a good excuse to vacation! :D

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have the option to leave early--then leave early! :) As you mentioned, the traffic will be horrendous. You'd do yourself a favor and also do a favor to those who don't have the option of leaving early by being one less car on the road.

I think if one has the flexibility to leave whenever, one should look at this as a good excuse to vacation! :D

Isn't it way too early to know where Ike will head? Or are you talking about Hanna?

Regards.
Joe

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yipes, stay safe :eek: Guess I'd rather be surprise by our earthquakes!

The Conch Man

Reaction score
Bill, did the samething as you have only two months ago with TS Fay & just a week after we were flooded here in Bonita Springs for over a week. I'm sorry to say this but I'm glad these hurricances are going East instead of West! Well, not really, they have to go somewhere. Take care all & be ready!

rsnash

TUG Member
Reaction score

II Getaways in the Orlando area (where Steamboat Bill mentioned evacuating too) are running $300-600 starting with 9/6 check in.

Holly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bill, this might really mess up your windows!

Stay safe down there. We just evacuated from my parents in New Orleans...not fun, but better than being there when it hits.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score

That's what I was thinking too! Guess it's those pesky storms that keep Florida window cleaners in business! :D

But seriously Bill, be safe and hope you all come through it well. :)

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
.... filled 6 gas cans of 5 gallons each
.... filled all three cars with gas
.... 2 tanks of propane
.... just added chlorine
.... it is Cat 5 and directly aimed at us
.... will drive to Orlando
.... the drive .... bumper to bumper for over 100 miles
.... living in the "Cone of Death"
.... "riding it out"
.... that is why I have insurance

WOW! I sure am glad he has insurance! :)

Terry

Just funning with ya Bill. Good Luck

S

Steamboat Bill

II Getaways in the Orlando area (where Steamboat Bill mentioned evacuating too) are running $300-600 starting with 9/6 check in.

Several of my friends just reserved Marriott Grand Vista 3 bedrooms for Sunday for 1 week and will cancel (and pay the one night fee) as a backup plan. They are not timeshare owners, they just want 3 bedroom untis.

Stay safe down there. We just evacuated from my parents in New Orleans...not fun, but better than being there when it hits.

I actually thought the opposite...they will be pressure cleaned for FREE. Besides, I have hired my nephew (strong HS senior) to do this work and lots of others for me on the weekends....he is VERY happy to accept $15/hour CASH and never complains and works very hard as this is the best paying job he can find to help pay his car expenses (yes, I am a good uncle).

WOW! I sure am glad he has insurance! :)

Terry

Just funning with ya Bill. Good Luck

Sadly, I have a $43,000 deductible....:eek: and my insurance rates are still about $10k per year. I really hope I never have to use that policy.

I will keep you posted as long as I have power (I have a generator) and Internet connection (my cable is already acting flaky today)

Dunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steamboat Bill
.... filled 6 gas cans of 5 gallons each
.... filled all three cars with gas
.... 2 tanks of propane
.... just added chlorine
.... it is Cat 5 and directly aimed at us
.... will drive to Orlando
.... the drive .... bumper to bumper for over 100 miles
.... living in the "Cone of Death"
.... "riding it out"
.... that is why I have insurance

Bill, you left off the number one thing you need to ride out the Hurricane...lots of booze! Oh wait, that was when we were in our 20s.

S

Steamboat Bill

Bill, you left off the number one thing you need to ride out the Hurricane...lots of booze! Oh wait, that was when we were in our 20s.

There is no special need to buy alcohol...I am usually well stocked. Party on dude!

Also, I just got back from Brookstone and they have very cool wind up flashlights called ReadyLight Crank LED Flashlight...no batteries needed.

taffy19

Reaction score
Yipes, stay safe :eek: Guess I'd rather be surprise by our earthquakes!
Cathy, do I agree with you. I hope for all of you in these frequent hurricane paths will be safe and get through it OK. Aren't they getting more frequent and more severe too lately or didn't I pay much attention before because I knew nobody in that area of the country?

Please, keep us updated when you can.

JoAnn

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Those of us on 'the other side' (including Conch Man :) ) are watching Ike closely too! We could have more problems than you Bill. And DH has had a stroke, just got out of 10 days in the hospital and is now in rehab and I told them yesterday I WILL pick him up and bring him home if Ike gets too close. I don't know yet whether our oldest DD will come home from Savannah to ride out the storm with the rest of the family. I will keep ALL of Florida in my prayers.
Oh, and BTW...these storms clean my windows pretty well :cheer:

beanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I leave monday for postal school in oklahoma and am leaving my wife behind :( it looks now that Ike is going to hook around the bottom of florida and head straight for ft myers or our area near punta gorda .our townhouse is 3 yrs old so it is built pretty strong . I guess we will have to watch this one .

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
JoAnn, such bad news about your hubby. we are thinking of you. I wish I could help, but not enough to be in Florida right now!

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
... it looks now that Ike is going to hook around the bottom of florida and head straight for ft myers or our area near punta gorda ....

Does that mean it will head further into the Gulf and slam into the panhandle as well?

beanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
too early to tell .it could hook right once it goes thru the florida straights or it could keep heading north into the panhandle. it's all speculation now so we will have to continue to monitor it . I told my wife if she sees jim cantore pull up in a weather channel truck to run like heck :D

JoAnn

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
JoAnn, such bad news about your hubby. we are thinking of you. I wish I could help, but not enough to be in Florida right now!

Thanks, Pat, but stay where you are. All 3 of our kids are here (2 in S.Ft. Myers, & the Key West DD is living with us.) You have enough on your hands too. Will email you later. Gerry is mobile, but had a 2nd stroke in the area that controls balance, so he has to learn to walk right and steady his balance. There is more to the story, but won't go into it here. And with Pat here she is a great help and has been through MANY "blows" in Key West.