• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Douglas

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
This one fits the typical pattern of having the top sheared off.

More troublesome is the community based COVID numbers. We are now borderline breaking through to a localized pandemic.

Plenty of other threads talking about COVID.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Plenty of other threads talking about COVID.

yeh, I stopped talking about it. Plenty of hurricanes spin a thousand of miles from Hawaii. If NOAA says wind shear, it ain’t happening. This one is a dud.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
yeh, I stopped talking about it. Plenty of hurricanes spin a thousand of miles from Hawaii. If NOAA says wind shear, it ain’t happening. This one is a dud.

I have to follow them for work so I’m just passing along information. We have to prep for them all. Still could get some wind and rain that would affect us. We have a warehouse on each island.

You almost sound disappointed it’s a dud.:D

Kapolei

Reaction score
I have to follow them for work so I’m just passing along information. We have to prep for them all. Still could get some wind and rain that would affect us. We have a warehouse on each island.

You almost sound disappointed it’s a dud.:D

‘I am still watching the forecast. And if I lived in an area prone to flash flooding I would pay close attention. This one just looks like the hundreds of others that are on a track that they are pretty good at forecasting. If they say the thing is going to diminish in a couple of days, it will. In this case, apparently it is sea temperature rather than wind shear that is driving the forecast.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
As a veteran of multiple Gulf Coast hurricanes (starting with Betsy), I hope Douglas fizzles or changes course. Best wishes to all the Hawaiian Islands!

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
As a veteran of multiple Gulf Coast hurricanes (starting with Betsy), I hope Douglas fizzles or changes course. Best wishes to all the Hawaiian Islands!
I grew up in Louisiana, 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. I've experienced my share of hurricanes, but I wasn't yet around when Betsy hit. Slightly different mindset in Louisiana; we threw "parties" and even named a drink "Hurricane".
@slip @Kapolei I saw water was going quickly, and there were long lines for gas in some places. I'm trying to figure out the gas part.

Looks like winds are slowing down as predicted.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
I grew up in Louisiana, 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. I've experienced my share of hurricanes, but I wasn't yet around when Betsy hit. Slightly different mindset in Louisiana; we threw "parties" and even named a drink "Hurricane".
@slip @Kapolei I saw water was going quickly, and there were long lines for gas in some places. I'm trying to figure out the gas part.

The state recommends that vehicles have at least 1/2 tank of gas. If we lose electric, gas pumps are inoperable.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Having been through Ike and Harvey in Texas and 1 while on St John in 1997 (don't remember name), I don't wish hurricanes on anyone.

Harvey was the worst in that the flood damage was so widespread that it took at least a year, almost 2, before things looked sort of back to normal for most. There are still some homes and business that have not yet been repaired, just the flood damaged portions removed.

Be safe, hope mother nature helps you in this endeavor.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
The state recommends that vehicles have at least 1/2 tank of gas. If we lose electric, gas pumps are inoperable.
I didn't anticipate the long lines; maybe I should have since it would get crazy in Louisiana when it became clear it was headed for us. This is my first (potential) in Hawaii so it'll be interesting to see how the reactions compare/contrast.

On a slight tangent, here are 2 memories of my childhood related to hurricanes:
We had one where the eye passed right over us. I can't remember how old I was, but I wasn't 10 yet. I snuck outside with my cousins when the good weather came and the adults weren't looking. They chased us down a few minutes later, and we received a good lesson/education on what follows when the eye moves on!
Later, when I was 12 or 13, I watched from the dining room as an ice chest (I think that's what it was) came flying and crashed into our living room picture window. I was scared as I went out on the patio with my mom to cover the window so rain didn't come inside.

Kapolei

Reaction score
I didn't anticipate the long lines; maybe I should have since it would get crazy in Louisiana when it became clear it was headed for us. This is my first (potential) in Hawaii so it'll be interesting to see how the reactions compare/contrast.

There are usually a couple of these every year. It is very rare to get a direct strike. They look menacing in the Pacific but they usually get caught up in wind shear and they can also fall apart by the shield of the Big Island. The biggest worry would be a category 4 passing to the south that veers north. You will drive yourself crazy if you watch the typical ones like this too closely. The forecasts are very reliable when a storm is on this track.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Due to mother's health issue , we're in Honolulu now, arrived last night. Staying with family. Due to hurricane approach , the Governor is allowing non residents in quarantine a 1 day reprieve today, to get out to stock up on supplies.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I haven’t been out yet today. My gas tan is nearly full so I didn’t plan on filling up. We usually shop for groceries on Saturday so we will see if it is a mad house. We have a pretty good stash of food we always keep on hand.

I have been following Hawaii’s hurricanes for a little over ten years now and the forecasting has been extremely good. We can still hope it moves a little further north.:thumbup:

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Slightly different mindset in Louisiana; we threw "parties"
I grew up in New Orleans, and a few years after Betsy, Camille hit the Gulf Coast. Folks at a hurricane party in an apartment building right on the coast in Mississippi didn’t fare so well, so our habit is to hunker down rather than party. My family is still in NOLA, and I’m near Houston, so we watch ‘em all carefully!

Right now it appears Douglas is trending farther northward. I hope that continues.

Kapolei

Reaction score
I grew up in New Orleans, and a few years after Betsy, Camille hit the Gulf Coast. Folks at a hurricane party in an apartment building right on the coast in Mississippi didn’t fare so well, so our habit is to hunker down rather than party. My family is still in NOLA, and I’m near Houston, so we watch ‘em all carefully!

Right now it appears Douglas is trending farther northward. I hope that continues.

The Pacific hurricanes rival the Gulf hurricanes. They just happen in the middle of nowhere. Hawaii is just some small dots in a vast pacific.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
The Pacific hurricanes rival the Gulf hurricanes. They just happen in the middle of nowhere. Hawaii is just some small dots in a vast pacific.

That may be, but they ain't got the music.....

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got back from shopping. A few things were getting close to selling out but mostly everything was still available. Gas stations not bad with lines along King street anyway.

We took a short ride down Kalākaua for a bit and snapped some pictures.

D1FF6894-1E5C-4430-B3BD-7E9018DE9488.jpeg
46C32F61-D8A0-480B-B175-B0426830024E.jpeg
967FB72E-D88E-4682-9E28-F3981DD6D5E8.jpeg
1CA7E75C-ED80-4487-99DB-0920BD0D5241.jpeg
C3982C25-5A43-4589-B91F-44B101E16FE1.jpeg
977FFD9B-9EE5-4F96-837B-0954F1B4AB4C.jpeg
498BED14-CE8B-4DD3-8723-CA836E6E3E31.jpeg
9795576D-D7C8-44C1-8E62-98C0E7CA9871.jpeg

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Nice pictures. Kalakaua never looks like that when we are there. Always filled with people walking.

I wonder if the reason you saw such reasonable stocks of supplies right before a hurricane is that people had already stocked up on everything do to the Coronavirus so that they didn't need all the stuff they would normally need to rush out and stock up on! I know right now on Long Island except for perishables like lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, bananas etc.we could go for months without shopping.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Nice pictures. Kalakaua never looks like that when we are there. Always filled with people walking.

I wonder if the reason you saw such reasonable stocks of supplies right before a hurricane is that people had already stocked up on everything do to the Coronavirus so that they didn't need all the stuff they would normally need to rush out and stock up on! I know right now on Long Island except for perishables like lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, bananas etc.we could go for months without shopping.

Costco wasn’t unusually crowded yesterday. I think most people are stocked up. I did some clearing of stuff in the yard. I don’t think the winds are going to be strong enough for structural damage of most homes. But things could be flying around and we could lose power. So I filled a cooler with ice. The storm is moving fairly fast which means the winds won’t last more than a day. They are forecasting 45-60 mph right now for Oahu. I am on the southwest side so little chance of direct hit here. I think we will get some winds from directions we are not used to.

Last edited:

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
@lynne Looks like the southern part of the storm will bring some wind and rain to the northern part of BI.

The outer rain band is hitting Maui at the moment. According to KHNL the eye will be on the tip of the North Shore around 8:30pm. @Kapolei I'm not too far from you; I'm actually between you and @slip . It's drizzling at the moment, and there looks to be another band of rain before the outer band of Douglas arrives. I had planned on grilling before the arrival of the outer bands, but these other bands are putting a damper on my plans.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
@lynne Looks like the southern part of the storm will bring some wind and rain to the northern part of BI.

The outer rain band is hitting Maui at the moment. According to KHNL the eye will be on the tip of the North Shore around 8:30pm. @Kapolei I'm not too far from you; I'm actually between you and @slip . It's drizzling at the moment, and there looks to be another band of rain before the outer band of Douglas arrives. I had planned on grilling before the arrival of the outer bands, but these other bands are putting a damper on my plans.

Thankfully Douglas was a non-event for us. No wind and gentle rain throughout the night. Later today lanai furniture and potted plants will be moved back outside. Stay safe on Oahu - looks like you may receive the brunt of the storm.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I was thinking the same thing about the shopping. I was hoping it wouldn’t be that bad with the stocking up for the virus. I was even able to get a parking spot easily.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thankfully Douglas was a non-event for us. No wind and gentle rain throughout the night. Later today lanai furniture and potted plants will be moved back outside. Stay safe on Oahu - looks like you may receive the brunt of the storm.

Good to hear. My work has a warehouse in Hilo and we were a little worried about flooding depending on the track.

Just started raining here again. no plans today except wait it out.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Sounds like the path moved a little to the south so we will see how this pans out.

If you do get the grill going, you can run some over. :D

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
If you do get the grill going, you can run some over. :D
Starting the grill in 20 minutes...It's sunny at the moment.